$3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    RD
    UFA - 6
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$125,000$125K)
    G
    RFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $725,000$725,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,800,000$3,800,000
    LW, C, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $725,000$725,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Nov. 10, 2021 at 8:55 a.m.
    Quoting: Penguins_Legend_Sheary
    Eh, I wouldn’t say point totals alone are a great way to measure a forward’s impact because it doesn’t take in the context of his situation.

Strome’s 5v5 points per 60 from 2018-2020 is 2.5, in contrast. To compare, Kane was at 2.7 while DeBrincat’s totals for 2018-19 & 2020-21 was 2.4. So he is roughly in the same range as CHI’s top players in generating offence.

Last season, he spent most of the season on the fourth line as a right winger. Most of his points came when he centered Kurashev & Hagel, that line was also 1st on Chicago last season in xGF%. I’m not saying Strome should be ideal target for a team like BOS, but I think he would be a high reward type of player that wouldn’t cost any major assets. Plus I think stylistically Hal would be a good winger for him.

I'm not just looking at points, but it was easier to post those from my phone then the advanced stats I look at. He boomed with Kane and DeBrincat as linemates and falls off when he doens't have those guys as linemates....sounds a lot like this guy in NY that exploded playing with Panarin. Funny enough his name is Strome too lol. Almost like the Strome brothers are really only as productive as they players they play with. Not ideal for a contender looking for someone to drive a line.
    Nov. 10, 2021 at 10:45 a.m.
    Marner Enthusiast
    Quoting: ON3M4N
    I'm not just looking at points, but it was easier to post those from my phone then the advanced stats I look at. He boomed with Kane and DeBrincat as linemates and falls off when he doens't have those guys as linemates....sounds a lot like this guy in NY that exploded playing with Panarin. Funny enough his name is Strome too lol. Almost like the Strome brothers are really only as productive as they players they play with. Not ideal for a contender looking for someone to drive a line.

I'm not saying you're wrong but could you show me the analytics you're using that suggests for Strome to be a poor play driver? Looking at the Evolving Hockey tables, Strome was 1st amongst Chicago forwards last season in on ice xG share and 1st in xGF/60.

Also, I think you underestimated the situation of his linemates that caused him to have a major production collapse. He was mostly shuffling around with 4th line caliber linemates such as Carpenter, Eintwitsle, Khaira and Kampf, guys who are good on the forecheck but don't have the skill or hockey sense to make plays or generate shots. His largest sample size was with Hagel and Kurahsev (good players but not elite) in which he posted a 4.76 points/60 at 5v5.
    Nov. 10, 2021 at 12:06 p.m.
    I'm not saying you're wrong but could you show me the analytics you're using that suggests for Strome to be a poor play driver? Looking at the Evolving Hockey tables, Strome was 1st amongst Chicago forwards last season in on ice xG share and 1st in xGF/60.

Also, I think you underestimated the situation of his linemates that caused him to have a major production collapse. He was mostly shuffling around with 4th line caliber linemates such as Carpenter, Eintwitsle, Khaira and Kampf, guys who are good on the forecheck but don't have the skill or hockey sense to make plays or generate shots. His largest sample size was with Hagel and Kurahsev (good players but not elite) in which he posted a 4.76 points/60 at 5v5.

There are a lot of different ways to look at this. Looking at his individual numbers from last year at 5v5 and excluding anyone without at least 10gp

ixG/60 - 7th
    S/60 - 8th
    iCF/60 - 10th
    iSCF/60 - 8th
    iHDCF/60 - 9th

He had a 0.0 rush attempts/60 and was 14th in rebounds created/60. He was also 5th in giveaways/60, doesn't really hit or block shots and was sub 50% in the FO dot. Now if we want to look at of the more traditional things like CF% SF% etc....

CF% - 46.1
    SF% - 47.4
    GF% - 37.2
    xGF% - 48.7
    SCF% - 47.3

This is with him starting 58.1% of his zone starts in the O-Zone, which was the 5th highest among CHI forwards last year. As for his linemates, you're kind of making my point. He's only has good as his linemates (just like his brother). That's not what you want in a #2C, you want a guy who can still drive the line despite the talent around him. David Krejci is a perfect example. Guy had a revolving door of bottom 6 wingers for years until getting Hall last season, yet over the last 3yrs he was still one of the top 30 producing centers in the NHL at 5v5.
    Nov. 10, 2021 at 12:47 p.m.
    Marner Enthusiast
    There are a lot of different ways to look at this. Looking at his individual numbers from last year at 5v5 and excluding anyone without at least 10gp

ixG/60 - 7th
    S/60 - 8th
    iCF/60 - 10th
    iSCF/60 - 8th
    iHDCF/60 - 9th

He had a 0.0 rush attempts/60 and was 14th in rebounds created/60. He was also 5th in giveaways/60, doesn't really hit or block shots and was sub 50% in the FO dot. Now if we want to look at of the more traditional things like CF% SF% etc....

CF% - 46.1
    SF% - 47.4
    GF% - 37.2
    xGF% - 48.7
    SCF% - 47.3

This is with him starting 58.1% of his zone starts in the O-Zone, which was the 5th highest among CHI forwards last year. As for his linemates, you're kind of making my point. He's only has good as his linemates (just like his brother). That's not what you want in a #2C, you want a guy who can still drive the line despite the talent around him. David Krejci is a perfect example. Guy had a revolving door of bottom 6 wingers for years until getting Hall last season, yet over the last 3yrs he was still one of the top 30 producing centers in the NHL at 5v5.

I'm just going to calculate last season's totals from moneypuck between Krejci and Strome.

Strome (11% of ice time with Kubalik & Kurashev + 9% alongside Kane & Debrincat) - 0.6 iXG/60 + 0.56 xA/60
    Krejci (36% of his ice time with Hall & Smith) - 0.49 iXG/60 + 0.53 xA/60

If Krejci is your ideal 2C, then it seems Strome isn't that far off from him at driving offence.
    Nov. 10, 2021 at 1:49 p.m.
    I'm just going to calculate last season's totals from moneypuck between Krejci and Strome.

Strome (11% of ice time with Kubalik & Kurashev + 9% alongside Kane & Debrincat) - 0.6 iXG/60 + 0.56 xA/60
    Krejci (36% of his ice time with Hall & Smith) - 0.49 iXG/60 + 0.53 xA/60

If Krejci is your ideal 2C, then it seems Strome isn't that far off from him at driving offence.

I'm taking a 3yr sample, you want a snapshot of a shortened season. Look at the end of the day we'll agree to disagree. There is some set of numbers that tell you he's good and I see ones that tell me he's bad. We both have a preference and value some stats more than others. To me Strome is a not an upgrade over any LW/C Boston currently has and he's not a 2C on a contending cup team. Honestly from what I've seen and from his advanced stats, he's can be a good offensive 3rd liner that won't do much for you defensively. I actually think he be a great guy to ship to Buffalo and let Granato work with him.

cheers
    Nov. 10, 2021 at 5:33 p.m.
    Marner Enthusiast
    I'm taking a 3yr sample, you want a snapshot of a shortened season. Look at the end of the day we'll agree to disagree. There is some set of numbers that tell you he's good and I see ones that tell me he's bad. We both have a preference and value some stats more than others. To me Strome is a not an upgrade over any LW/C Boston currently has and he's not a 2C on a contending cup team. Honestly from what I've seen and from his advanced stats, he's can be a good offensive 3rd liner that won't do much for you defensively. I actually think he be a great guy to ship to Buffalo and let Granato work with him.

cheers

Fair enough. I personally think iXG and xA is the most important stat for a forward because it calculates how much offence they generate without external factors like quality of teammate. But for sure, he's not a bonafide 2C yet, I think he can develop into one but it needs to be the right situation and right development.
    Nov. 11, 2021 at 8:46 a.m.
    Fair enough. I personally think iXG and xA is the most important stat for a forward because it calculates how much offence they generate without external factors like quality of teammate. But for sure, he's not a bonafide 2C yet, I think he can develop into one but it needs to be the right situation and right development.

I don't know that I 100% agree with the bolded. There is some outside factor play in there. xG is a combination of things like where you shoot from, type of shot, etc. A good playmaker opens up better shooting opportunity for their linemates. They get the puck in better areas for them to be able to get a puck off quicker. If you put Pastrnak on the Bruins 4th line with Frederic and Nosek, I expect you see him ixG be significantly worse because the opposition would simply blanket him and force Frederic/Nosek to beat them. On the flip side when he's with Bergeron/Marchand, the entire line is a threat and opens up better opportunities for him. Not to mention those 3 have played together so long that they just know where the other ones going to be and can put the puck in areas without really looking.
    Nov. 11, 2021 at 9:03 a.m.
    Marner Enthusiast
    I don't know that I 100% agree with the bolded. There is some outside factor play in there. xG is a combination of things like where you shoot from, type of shot, etc. A good playmaker opens up better shooting opportunity for their linemates. They get the puck in better areas for them to be able to get a puck off quicker. If you put Pastrnak on the Bruins 4th line with Frederic and Nosek, I expect you see him ixG be significantly worse because the opposition would simply blanket him and force Frederic/Nosek to beat them. On the flip side when he's with Bergeron/Marchand, the entire line is a threat and opens up better opportunities for him. Not to mention those 3 have played together so long that they just know where the other ones going to be and can put the puck in areas without really looking.

Yeah that's true, I guess for iXG, you should take into account whether or not your linemates can get good passes to you in scoring areas. xA is more indicative of a player's ability to create chances for others.
    Nov. 11, 2021 at 10:12 a.m.
    Yeah that's true, I guess for iXG, you should take into account whether or not your linemates can get good passes to you in scoring areas. xA is more indicative of a player's ability to create chances for others.

Maybe, but even then I think there is some outside factor to it. Good goal scorers are able to find those soft areas to get open for shots. They also can turn below average passes into prime chances. I'll be honest though I'm not entirely sure how xA is calculated so maybe that doesn't even factor into it

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll