Forums/Armchair-GM

Ideas

Created by: LeafsFan
Team: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 2, 2017
Published: May 2, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So first of all let me start by saying, I'm doubting the realism of this AGM. It kind of seems too perfect, which probably means I've overvalued Leafs players at some point, but anyways here I go.

The Trades:

PIT:

I have PIT winning the cup (I hope Crosby comes back and brings the Pens to glory again). They lose Bonino to FA, but are still looking to repeat. With this new whole they need a centerman that can put up points on the 3rd line and move up in case of injuries. There's no better than newly 50pt man Tyler Bozak. He has a history with Kessel to boot and he can play signficant minutes if injuries arise. With a 50% retention he's the perfect fit for a cup or bust season.

Coming back I have the 31st overall pick and Rights to Filip Gustavsson who was drafted in the late second round last year. I don't think this return is unlikely, as I'm comparing Hanzal's return of a 1st, a second and a 4th to Bozaks.

WSH:

Okay this was my trade that I think probably is a little lopsided but here's my logic. WAS faces major contractual issues with Oshie, Kuznetsov, Alzner, Williams etc being potential UFA's. In here I decided that they can't afford to reup Burakovsky and I offer them a plethora of cheap prospects that are for the most part NHL ready. Soshnikov and Leipsic are good prospects that bring some grit that I could see Trotz really liking. Lindberg is an organizational depth prospect to add value. Coming back we have a LW whose shot metrics suggest he's due for a breakout year. This trade relies on WAS deciding to resign their other players first, and potentially replacing Burakovsky with Vrana.

FLA:

Florida is stacked on defense, but struggles to score. Recently re-appointed GM Dale Tallon (who should have never been replaced) decides to make a move to bring them back to the playoffs. He's been quoated (link to article here:http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-arizona-coyotes-shane-doan-florida-panthers-jaromir-jagr/2017/05/02/) saying he really needs a natural goal scorer, and JVR is definitely that. He's traded along with a contract extension (that greatly benefits Florida as they benefit from no state tax). Coming back the Leafs is 23 year old rookie defenseman Matheson who scored 17 points this year. Also Florida only has 5 draft picks so they move back in this draft and get an extra 2nd rounder.

WIN:

Cheveldayoff decides he needs to trade Trouba before there's another nasty RFA negotiation. If his top need is a left handed defenseman than we send back Matheson. Matheson is extremely mobile, he's 6'2" and he's also EXPANSION EXEMPT, which considering he plays top 4 minutes is a HUGE bonus for them. We also send rookies Valiev (who could challenge for a roster spot on the Leafs this year) and Rychel and Johnson. They're not fantastic rookies but definitely B/B- quality, and we know that Winnipeg loves acquiring prospects.

ARI:

Computer GM see's analytics darling and sends almost nothing back, similar to Holland deal.

MTL:

Montreal also only has 5 picks so they move back as well and collect an extra 2nd.

Signings:

Leafs mostly stay away from FA again, however they sign Trevor Daley to a 1 year contract (to avoid a Robidas situation again) to play as a 5th defenseman.

They also add a really good backup in Kinkaid, who although is a little pricey is definitely worth it.

Since the Leafs move out 7 forwards in this scenario I have them signing some of their forward prospects to get them in the AHL developing.

Draft:

I have them selecting Timothy Liljegren whose fallen out of favour after being the consensus #2 in this draft at the 10 slot, and I have them selecting Erik Brannstrom who I read an article on (link here:http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/5/1/15443476/toronto-maple-leafs-entry-draft-target-swedish-defenceman-erik-brannstrom-2017)

Prospects:

Forwards:

The Leafs forward prospect cupboard looks less sexy with a huge amount either joining the NHL or being traded but there's still some hidden gems in there.
1.Jeremy Bracco
2. Carl Grundstrom
3. Adam Brooks
4. Miro Aaltonen
5. Dmytro Timashov

Defense:

The Leafs severely bolster their depth in the offseason, Leafs could end up having a very above average defense core in the future.
1. Timothy Liljegren
2. Travis Dermott
3. Andrew Nielsen
4. Calle Rosen
5. Erik Brannstrom

Goaltenders:

Who knows with goalies anymore? At least we have some good depth starting

1. Filip Gustavsson
2. Joseph Woll
3. Garrett Sparks
4. Kasimir Kaskisuo

I would really appreciate feedback granted its constructive and polite.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$2,900,000
3$1,700,000
2$750,000
6$3,800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,800,000
Rosen, Calle
2$925,000
1$3,000,000
Liljegren, Timothy
3$894,167
Brannstrom, Erik
3$894,167
Brooks, Adam
3$894,167
Korostelev, Nikita
3$680,000
Dzierkals, Martins
3$680,000
2$1,750,000
Trades
TOR
    2017 31st overall pick
    Rights to Filip Gustavsson
    PIT
    1. Bozak, Tyler ($2,100,000 retained)
    TOR
      Rights to RFA Andre Burakovsky
      TOR
      1. Matheson, Michael
      Additional Details:
      2017 10th overall pick
      FLA
      1. van Riemsdyk, James
      2. 2018 2nd round pick (TOR)
      Additional Details:
      2017 17th overall pick
      TOR
      1. 2019 7th round pick (ARI)
      Additional Details:
      Pick Conditional on Marincin playing 25 NHL games this year
      TOR
        2017 23rd overall pick
        MTL
          2017 31st overall pick
          2017 2nd round pick
          Buyouts
          Retained Salary Transactions
          DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the SJS
          Logo of the SJS
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the ARI
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the ANA
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the ARI
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the TOR
          Logo of the TOR
          ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
          23$76,000,000$66,530,000$5,370,000$4,550,000$9,470,000

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
          $3,800,000$3,800,000
          RW, LW
          UFA - 2
          $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
          C
          UFA - 2
          $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
          RW
          UFA - 2
          $2,950,000$2,950,000
          RW, LW, C
          UFA - 1
          $4,500,000$4,500,000
          C
          UFA - 5
          $2,900,000$2,900,000
          RW, LW
          UFA - 3
          $1,700,000$1,700,000
          RW, LW
          UFA - 4
          $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
          RW
          UFA - 1
          $863,333$863,333
          RW
          UFA - 2
          $2,500,000$2,500,000
          LW, RW
          UFA - 3
          $2,800,000$2,800,000
          LW, C
          UFA - 2
          $612,500$612,500
          RW, LW
          UFA - 1
          $2,000,000$2,000,000
          C, RW
          UFA - 1
          $650,000$650,000
          RW, C
          UFA - 1
          Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
          $5,000,000$5,000,000
          LD
          UFA - 5
          $2,812,500$2,812,500
          RD
          UFA - 1
          $5,000,000$5,000,000
          G
          M-NTC
          UFA - 4
          $4,050,000$4,050,000
          LD
          UFA - 2
          $4,500,000$4,500,000
          RD
          UFA - 7
          $3,000,000$3,000,000
          RD
          UFA - 3
          $750,000$750,000
          RD
          UFA - 1
          $1,750,000$1,750,000
          G
          UFA - 2
          Rosen, Calle
          $925,000$925,000
          ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
          $5,250,000$5,250,000
          LW, RW
          M-NTC
          UFA - 1
          $5,300,000$5,300,000
          RW
          M-NTC, NMC
          UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
          • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
          May 2, 2017 at 4:00 p.m.
          Leafs Rule
          Too many trades, reworked way too much of the team. As well you won't get any cap relief from either play because you're not over the cap. Final note is that you pay a backup goalie almost $2M which is a gross overpayment.

No team is going to make SIX trades in the off season.
          Spidy liked this.
          May 2, 2017 at 4:02 p.m.
          Banned
          Zero chance in hell that get's you Trouba Gardiner at least needs to be added to the deal.
          May 2, 2017 at 4:03 p.m.
          Banned
          And no way does Liljegren fall to #18 Detroit would take him at #9 way before that.
          May 2, 2017 at 4:06 p.m.
          Quoting: Dragongrave
          Too many trades, reworked way too much of the team. As well you won't get any cap relief from either play because you're not over the cap. Final note is that you pay a backup goalie almost $2M which is a gross overpayment.

Here's why I have a problem with your comment: You gave me 1 star based on the following merits:
          - I paid a REALLY GOOD BACKUP 1.75million, for comparison Chad Johnson made 1.7 - this is a dumb complaint on your end
          -You gave me crap for having 2 players on LTIR even when it doesn't affect my AGM AT ALL, literally add their 10+ million caps and I'm still below - DUMB complaint
          -You make it seem like I traded away the whole team, 1 trade is a simple moving up in the draft, one is moving a player for a potential 7th round pick, which leaves me with 4 other trades and seeing as this offseason features an expansion draft I don't think FOUR TRADES in an offseason is out of this world
          May 2, 2017 at 4:07 p.m.
          Quoting: Larkinisking
          And no way does Liljegren fall to #18 Detroit would take him at #9 way before that.

I have him selected at #10, I'm not even sure if that's good enough but its definitely within reason
          May 2, 2017 at 4:09 p.m.
          Zero chance in hell that get's you Trouba Gardiner at least needs to be added to the deal.

Have you read anything on Matheson? He's 23, he's very mobile, he's 6'2", he plays top 4 minutes AND he's expansion exempt, I would think he fits the core of Winnipeg better than Gardiner and it also solves their expansion problem
          May 2, 2017 at 4:10 p.m.
          Banned
          Quoting: LeafsFan

I have him selected at #10, I'm not even sure if that's good enough but its definitely within reason

I could see him around 10-13 maybe at best but doubt he would fall to 18 he would really have to fall out of favor to fall that low and with Heiskanen and Makar more then likely gone i could see Detroit taking a chance on him if he's still available at 9.
          May 2, 2017 at 4:12 p.m.

I could see him around 10-13 maybe at best but doubt he would fall to 18 he would really have to fall out of favor to fall that low and with Heiskanen and Makar more then likely gone i could see Detroit taking a chance on him if he's still available at 9.

I don't think he'll be available at 18, that's why I had the Leafs move up to #10 in this AGM
          May 2, 2017 at 4:38 p.m.
          Leafs Rule

Here's why I have a problem with your comment: You gave me 1 star based on the following merits:
          - I paid a REALLY GOOD BACKUP 1.75million, for comparison Chad Johnson made 1.7 - this is a dumb complaint on your end
          -You gave me crap for having 2 players on LTIR even when it doesn't affect my AGM AT ALL, literally add their 10+ million caps and I'm still below - DUMB complaint
          -You make it seem like I traded away the whole team, 1 trade is a simple moving up in the draft, one is moving a player for a potential 7th round pick, which leaves me with 4 other trades and seeing as this offseason features an expansion draft I don't think FOUR TRADES in an offseason is out of this world

I don't get why people over pay backups, just for the sake of over paying. If he was good enough he would be a 1B starter, not a full time backup. You can get Curtis for $750K less and get the same production level. Remember his numbers are because of him playing with the Devils.

Don't put them on LTIR because you skew your numbers, that's all. Makes it seem like you have tons of cap space.

You trade a total of ELEVEN PLAYERS. That's a lot no matter what. No team trades a total of 11 players/prospects plus 3 picks in one off season. That would be a record.

I doubt Daley is going to take a 1 year deal.
          May 2, 2017 at 4:55 p.m.

I don't get why people over pay backups, just for the sake of over paying. If he was good enough he would be a 1B starter, not a full time backup. You can get Curtis for $750K less and get the same production level. Remember his numbers are because of him playing with the Devils.

Don't put them on LTIR because you skew your numbers, that's all. Makes it seem like you have tons of cap space.

You trade a total of ELEVEN PLAYERS. That's a lot no matter what. No team trades a total of 11 players/prospects plus 3 picks in one off season. That would be a record.

Really? You think a backup who can play 20 games isn't important? That's 1/4 of the regular season? GM Treliving said on TSN radio this morning that Johnson basically saved their season.

And technically I do have that cap space available if we need it

Phaneuf trade was a 9 player trade so can't see why 11 is such a big deal, Marchenko is taken in draft, Marincin move is to clear roster spot but he could stay on the team if your buthurt about it, Leafs have unprecedented amount of NHL ready forwards so expect them to have to move a lot to get the value out

Daley is 33 who only played 56 games this year, definitely not getting a long term deal if that's what your referring to.
          May 2, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
          Leafs Rule

Really? You think a backup who can play 20 games isn't important? That's 1/4 of the regular season? GM Treliving said on TSN radio this morning that Johnson basically saved their season.

And technically I do have that cap space available if we need it

Phaneuf trade was a 9 player trade so can't see why 11 is such a big deal, Marchenko is taken in draft, Marincin move is to clear roster spot but he could stay on the team if your buthurt about it, Leafs have unprecedented amount of NHL ready forwards so expect them to have to move a lot to get the value out

Daley is 33 who only played 56 games this year, definitely not getting a long term deal if that's what your referring to.

I'm not arguing that you have the cap space, just saying it is an unnecessary use of it.

Tell me how many 9 player trades have been done since the installation of the cap. I think that ist he most.

I think Daley will get 2 for sure without a problem. Maybe an option. He has history. It all depends on the amounts. I think Polak and Hunwick bring more to the table than Daley and both will come at significant reductions in cost.

Remember, once Marner, Matthews and Nylander get their extensions you will have to get used to finding players on cheap contracts. May as well start it now instead of later.

To create a post please Login or Register
          Question:
          Options:
          Add Option
          Submit Poll