SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

Anaheim receives 7th

Jun. 16, 2022 at 9:38 a.m.
Kampf Supremacy
I already know why this trade may seem improbable; Ottawa is looking to get a roster player for their 7th overall, and Anaheim likely wont actually have any roster players you can confidently give up while getting this pick doesn't guarantee that Anaheim gets the guy they actually want, but I still think both teams would benefit from this trade.

ANA Receives: OTT 2022 first round pick (7th overall), G Murray, Matt
OTT Receives: ANA 2022 first round pick (10th overall), ANA 2023 3rd, G Stolarz, Anthony

Anaheim's perspective: Anaheim gives up a backup goaltender on a good contract, a 3rd and a first to go from 10th to 7th, which seems like an insignificant jump even for a first round pick, so why would they want to do this? I don't want to go too deep into draft rankings, but it can be argued that there is a jump in pick quality after the first 7; Wright, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Nemec, Jiricek, Savoie, and Kemell. The names are listed in their general order, and though there could be some movement between these guys, its likely going to only be these guys in the top 7, with Kemell being the most likely 7th overall candidate at this point. Kemell would be a great fit for this lineup and could likely be Anaheim's first line right winger in the future paired with Mctavish and Zegras. The timing makes sense, the style of play makes sense, it just feels like a great idea to get this guy. So despite moving from 10th to 7th not seeming like much, in this case, its a great move.
Anaheim also receives Matt Murray in this trade, and though he doesn't really fit the timeline and won't likely stay with this team unless he sees a big improvement this offseason especially in his health. There's one big reason and one smaller unlikely to happen reason to do this trade, the big reason being his contract. Ottawa is looking for big names and impact players so that they can transition into a playoff spot in the next year or two, Anaheim needs to hit the cap floor until they can sign their young guys big contracts, and Murray's contract fits quite nicely for that need. The smaller reason is that if Murray can have a comeback season, he can be a good fit for this team short term and maybe even get traded high for more pieces.

Ottawa's perspective: Ottawa has a 7th round pick that they want to move for an impact player, so its likely that they have the mindset that they're transitioning to a wildcard team with contention aspirations and this is the first step to get there. They see a window to replace Boston in the Atlantic and want to make the leap into that spot likely by 2023-2024 and getting an impact player is progress to that. So, why would they move the 7th for a 10th? I referenced earlier that the best prospects were in the top 7 before a jump, but there are still good players after that, Lekkerimaki, Gauthier, even Lambert and Geekie if you think they'll be considered steal picks in the future. The point is, a 10th can still get you something, but still, your moving down in the draft, if its not an impact player, what reason do you have to do this? Murray's contract, that's why. Murray's contract isn't hell or anything, especially not for a team like Ottawa, but it'll be good to get it off the books now considering you have a guy like Stutzle asking for a contract on Murray's final year, and chances are Stolarz, the guy likely going to replace him, is going to likely be equally as effective on a much better contract for their purposes. they also receive a 4th as compensation for the 1st being lower because I don't think the value of losing Murray's contract alone is enough, so that's like icing to the trade. Back to the 10th though, I think the Fiala trade makes the most sense for Ottawa and it would be a great step in the right direction for them, but is the 10th valuable enough for a Fiala trade to go through? Absolutely. If anything, it'll reduce the cost for both teams in the future if they were to trade them. A 7th ovr for Fiala wouldn't be close at face value, but a 10th ovr for Fiala is way closer.

Will these teams look into a trade like this? Absolutely not, I'm a random Leafs fan on the internet putting a dumb trade on a forum, of course they won't. The only reason I even started looking into this is because I'm a big Kemell fan and I want to see him go to a team I think is a good fit (and maybe because this sets Anaheim up for a Gibson trade but whatever). So if the trade is bad, which I expect it to be, I'm alright with that

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll