SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Vancouver Canucks

Schenn and Myers can play in the top 4, but they need to be insulated

Aug. 26, 2022 at 3:47 p.m.
Banned
Luke Schenn: Schenn and Hughes as a pairing kind of works as a symbiotic relationship. One is mobile and quick, while the other is rather slow, but also tough. That's why they are able to compliment one another relatively well. If Schenn was playing with just an average defense partner, I could see him getting exposed a bit more, but no, he has an elite D-partner. Obviously the team's wants a more mobile defender who can play a stay at home role to partner with Hughes long-term, but that's an issue that can be addressed a bit later down the road when the team is a lot closer to when their contention window opens

Tyler Myers: Contrary to opinions of other fanbases, Myers is actually a very serviceable defender. While his game certainly isn't prolific at either ends of the ice, he's still very capable of eating big minutes. Obviously because he doesn't have a particular aspect of the game he excels in, he needs a certain degree of defensive insulation to prevent him from being exposed at times, as he is a player who likes to push play up the ice when he can, which isn't an issue because he's a solid skater. What Myers isn't so good at is actually breaking the puck out of the defensive zone, but he's good at skating it out and making plays on the rush. He's also decent at in zone defending too, I know this might surprise some people, but I rarely see him out of position relative to whom he's checking in the defensive zone. Again, it's that he sometimes struggles to break the puck out of the D-zone that people notice

At the end of the day, Myers and Schenn are both short-term stop gaps on the Canucks right side of defense who need varying degrees of insulation. Upgrading that position on the roster will be a long-term project for new management and is the key to turning the team into a legit cup contender in the near future

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll