SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

What happens to RFA not signed at start of season?

Oct. 3, 2022 at 1:59 p.m.
GoBolts
With Jason Robertson not signed by Dallas, it got me wondering, what happens to an RFA if not signed at the start of the season? Does their contract become null at some point and they become an UFA? Can Dallas just sit on Jason's RFA status and keep him from playing anywhere? Personally, I can't remember the last time a talented playing like Jason has gone unsigned this close to the start of the season without at least hearing talk of negotiations.
Oct. 3, 2022 at 2:08 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: SciFiScrivener
With Jason Robertson not signed by Dallas, it got me wondering, what happens to an RFA if not signed at the start of the season? Does their contract become null at some point and they become an UFA? Can Dallas just sit on Jason's RFA status and keep him from playing anywhere? Personally, I can't remember the last time a talented playing like Jason has gone unsigned this close to the start of the season without at least hearing talk of negotiations.

If I remember correctly, teams have until December 1st to sign their qualified RFAs and have them be eligible to play that season. If the player signs a deal after December 1st, they would not be allowed to play that season and would have to wait for next year. As for what happens the next year, I'm unsure of what would happen to his RFA status. I believe he would stay as a qualified RFA for the next offseason, but I'm unsure.
SciFiScrivener liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll