SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Seattle Kraken

Seattle Kraken are more likely than not to regress next season

May 20, 2023 at 12:14 a.m.
Banned
Building a team by committee is extremely difficult to sustain(what team has one a stanley cup in the salary cap era without any superstars?). For me, the Kraken are probably my number one regression candidate for next season, as they look to have massively overachieved this past season. Their goaltending still isn't good, Vince Dunn and Adam Larsson will like regress to being a 2nd pair caliber defense pairing, Dunn might even end up getting overpaid for the season he just had. This team still has some inefficient contracts on the books like Grubauer, Alexander Wennberg, Jaden Schwarts, Jamie Oleksiak's deal isn't too bad, but not spectacular for a defender who can't play 20+ minutes consistently. Not to mention they still have a ton of work to do in bolstering their prospect pipeline. No stud defense prosects, and outside of Shane Wright at center, and Jagger Firkus on the wing, I don't really see any notable talent that boasts promising NHL upside. Might be a while before this team takes another significant step. Now I'm not saying that the Kraken will go back to being a lottery team next season, but it will not surprise me in the least if they miss the post-season next May.
Jun. 1, 2023 at 8:45 a.m.
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Building a team by committee is extremely difficult to sustain(what team has one a stanley cup in the salary cap era without any superstars?). For me, the Kraken are probably my number one regression candidate for next season, as they look to have massively overachieved this past season. Their goaltending still isn't good, Vince Dunn and Adam Larsson will like regress to being a 2nd pair caliber defense pairing, Dunn might even end up getting overpaid for the season he just had. This team still has some inefficient contracts on the books like Grubauer, Alexander Wennberg, Jaden Schwarts, Jamie Oleksiak's deal isn't too bad, but not spectacular for a defender who can't play 20+ minutes consistently. Not to mention they still have a ton of work to do in bolstering their prospect pipeline. No stud defense prosects, and outside of Shane Wright at center, and Jagger Firkus on the wing, I don't really see any notable talent that boasts promising NHL upside. Might be a while before this team takes another significant step. Now I'm not saying that the Kraken will go back to being a lottery team next season, but it will not surprise me in the least if they miss the post-season next May.

Disagree for the following reasons:

Vegas, Edmonton, and LA are going to be facing some real cap issues to retain/improve their rosters going into next year. Seattle does not and has flexibility to add (the most of any playoff team per needed space). Calgary is still a mess, and everyone else in their division (Anaheim, Vancouver, and San Jose) are all many years away from challenging for a playoff spot. So the top 4 in the Pacific is easily attainable. The Central will see Winnipeg's off-season mess ramp up, Nashville undergo coaching/roster changes, and the Wild dealing with the buyout-induced cap hell in all its glory; Avs dealing with Landeskog/Nichushkin/lack of #2C; thus leaving none to challenge the Kraken for top 6 spot in the conference.

So playoffs are highly likely.

The Kraken roster and style of play is very playoff-friendly. They will draw a middle seed matchup most likely and they have every chance of winning that series and thus advancing to the second round and thus repeating their success of last year.

Beniers has not found his ceiling yet. Wright and Kartye will continue to develop and challenge for the forward group and the Kraken have to decide on re-signing Geekie/Sprong versus one or both of those guys.

The cap space will give Kraken the ability to address their defense while retaining Dunn and Borgen easily.

Goaltending is a crapshoot across the league in any case. They also could capitalize on the Golden Knights goalie cap carousel that will need to be figured out in the off-season.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll