Team: 2023-24 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 6, 2023
Published: Jun. 7, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Explanation

Line 1:

Ovi-Strome-Wilson
This line revolves around the pairing of Strome and Ovi, who have shown excellent chemistry. The Right-wing in this line will be a revolving door, but I think Wilson has the best shot at this spot. Under Former HCPL this combo was underwhelming, having poor possession metrics. Personally, I think that it has to do with Wilson still getting up to speed after his injury. Strome and Wilson played very well together at the end of the season and that pairing was part of the reason that Strome was on a 90-point pace in that 20-ish game stretch.

Line 2 or 3:

McMichael-Kuznetsov?-_______
Or
_________-McMichael-________
The Best Connor Mc associated with an NHL team will get his real first shot at a full-time Middle Six NHL role this upcoming season. The only questions with this line come with the other two spots, and whether CMM will play Center or the LW. If Kuznetsov is given another chance at a bounce-back this upcoming season, then CMM will play on his left wing. CMM is a prototypical Two-Way forward, the most underrated part of his game is his defensive play. In 21-22, he looked lost in the defensive end, but in Hershey, he has blossomed on the PK and now is a great defensive forward, but he really shines in the defensive end when he is playing the center position, which he has not played in Washington that much. The RW will likely be filled by an off-season acquisition, as Mantha is actively being shopped as I type. Potential players would be J.T. Compher, or Tyler Bertuzzi on the UFA Market. They could also go to the offer sheet route with RFA Alexis Lafrenière who would cost a 2024 1st and 2024 3rd with a $6,435,186 1-year offer sheet. I can also see the caps targeting Alex Debrincat or Travis Konecny on the Trade market both would cost around 2024 1st, 2023 2nd, and prospect like Suzdalev or Lapierre. I can’t see the Caps giving up their 2023 1st (8th) this offseason, not with this draft class.

Line 3 or 2:

Milano-Backstrom-Oshie
Backstrom is most likely staying in the lineup this upcoming season, as I can’t see him retiring yet. This trio has great numbers when they were paired together and offers the team both defense and flashy offense. Could be considered the Second line, but I can see Oshie and Backstrom being time sheltered because of their injury proneness. The caps could also target Columbus players like Roslovic or Bemstrom to play on this line, moving Milano up in the line up

Line 4:
Protas-Dowd-NAK
This Trio also had great possession metrics and advanced stats when they played together last season. Protas is also in the Running for the RW spot on the First and Second lines. He would also fit well as the Center on the 3rd line if Backstrom leaves the lineup. Protas will become the jack-of-all-trades forward that Sheary was for the team last season, as he can play any of the forward positions and on any line. NAK was underwhelming this last season, but he has the same tenacious game as Hathaway.

D-Pair 1:
Sandin-Carlson
Sandin and Carlson played well together the few times they were on the same defensive pairing together. Maybe a larger sample size really shows how well they play together. Sandin was the best cap’s defenceman after the trade deadline when he was given big minutes. One glaring problem is that this pairing lacks speed, and might get beaten a lot by faster opposing forwards.

D-Pair 2
______-Jensen
The caps will probably look for a new LD to accompany the 23 crew on the left side. This Dman will likely pair with Jensen. Jensen is a smooth skater and good puck mover, but he is a more “Stay-At-Home” type D-man who suffers from “I might be Cale Makar” syndrome. A good offensive-minded defenceman would help fix Jensen’s tendencies to forget that he isn’t really Cale Makar. Shane Gostisbehere would be a good UFA addition, and so would a reunion with Erik Gustafsson but a Gus reunion is very unlikely. I can see the caps targeting two Colorado LDs: Devon Toews and Samuel Girard. A 2025 second and Kuznetsov might be enough to get either of these D-men.

D-Pair 3
Fehervary-TvR
Fehervary was given a lot of responsibility in his first two full NHL seasons, and showed that he can handle it for short periods. Moving him down to the Third Pairing would not be a demotion but would show depth in the cap's defense. It would also give him a chance to work on his game while not having to worry about Carlson's defensive and speed deficiencies. This would give the caps their first real “shutdown” pair since the Orpik days. They are both smooth-skating defensive-minded D-men who would play well together and be trusted with a lot of defensive zone starts. If the Caps don’t pursue another D-man then they might use Alexeyev on TvR’s left and Fehervary plays higher in the lineup.

Goalies:
Kuemper
Lindgren
Shepard (Wild Card)

Shepard is a wild card to get the backup job next season. Lindgren’s contract can be fully buried in the AHL, much like Pheonix Copley’s when he was underperforming with the caps. Kuemper had an above-average season on a depleted caps team that couldn’t win games for him. Lindgren is an interesting goalie, he makes saves but like most backups, he tends to give up a lot of big rebounds. I think that Shepard has a chance to win the backup job from Lindgren if he resigns with the caps.

Extras:
Malenstyn: Has a chance to win the 4th LW spot, but his well-below-average offensive abilities hinder his chances. He has been a defensive monster in the 2023 calder cup playoffs, and his defensive skills would translate to the NHL, it's just that he has little projectable offense.

Snively: Has a great motor and an NHL-level shot, but he’s beginning to look more like a fringe NHL-AHL player with every passing week. A good slot into the bottom six, but seems to be nothing more. I do hope he proves me wrong though.

Alex Alexeyev: The guy with the name so cool they said it twice. He looks to break through into a full-time NHLer. His waiver status complicates things for his development as he would be claimed on waivers if they try to send him to Hershey. He likely starts the season as the 7th D again, slotting to the lineup for injury (which happens a lot on this team). Look for him to get more than 40 games next season.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$787,500
1$874,125
2$2,975,000
1$787,500
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$925,000
Trades
WSH
    Anywhere
    ANA
    1. Mantha, Anthony
    Additional Details:
    Could cost the caps a Second or Third round pick to move. There are also teams out there that might pay a late-round pick for Mantha. His buyout amount isn't egregious so I can see the caps buying him out too.
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$83,500,000$73,701,667$20,000$82,500$9,798,333
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Washington Capitals
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $5,166,667$5,166,667
    RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333
    LW, C
    RFA - 1
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,900,000$1,900,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $9,200,000$9,200,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $789,167$789,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RW, LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $1,300,000$1,300,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $1,225,000$1,225,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $4,050,000$4,050,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $2,975,000$2,975,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 3
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $825,000$825,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 7, 2023 at 3:42 p.m.
    Fehervary is 100% that 2LHD, Caps don't need any more D. They need 1 really good young top 6 player, or 2 good ones, if they don't think Mantha can make a comeback, and I'd bet big money he does.
    Sprak liked this.
    Jun. 7, 2023 at 3:48 p.m.
    Formerly Los Patos
    I’m sure Anaheim would be fine taking Mantha with a pick attached.
    Jun. 7, 2023 at 3:49 p.m.
    Caps fan
    Quoting: ClockReads2113
    Fehervary is 100% that 2LHD, Caps don't need any more D. They need 1 really good young top 6 player, or 2 good ones, if they don't think Mantha can make a comeback, and I'd bet big money he does.

Yeah, I see this as likely too with Fehervary, but there are also whispers that have said that the Caps are looking into upgrading their left side on the back end. I think that the caps need to bring in two new forwards at the least if they want to have a good middle-six.
    Jun. 7, 2023 at 3:51 p.m.
    Caps fan
    Quoting: LosPatos
    I’m sure Anaheim would be fine taking Mantha with a pick attached.

I'm sure they would, but I think there are teams that would pay for Mantha so the caps would go for that or a buyout before giving up capital to move him
    Jun. 7, 2023 at 3:52 p.m.
    Quoting: Sprak
    Yeah, I see this as likely too with Fehervary, but there are also whispers that have said that the Caps are looking into upgrading their left side on the back end. I think that the caps need to bring in two new forwards at the least if they want to have a good middle-six.

BMac already make comments about how Sandin and Fehervary are the future of this team in the top 4. Would be very suprised if they made a move for a defensemen. Maybe a vet guy for cheap? But they also signed Akel out of Sweden.
    Logicalicesports liked this.
    Jun. 7, 2023 at 3:55 p.m.
    Caps fan
    Quoting: ClockReads2113
    BMac already make comments about how Sandin and Fehervary are the future of this team in the top 4. Would be very suprised if they made a move for a defensemen. Maybe a vet guy for cheap? But they also signed Akel out of Sweden.

Akel most likely starts in Hershey, he's just a depth signing. I have him as 3rd on my Hershey depth chart, behind LJo and Gabe Carlsson.
    Jun. 7, 2023 at 4:03 p.m.
    Formerly Los Patos
    Quoting: Sprak
    I'm sure they would, but I think there are teams that would pay for Mantha so the caps would go for that or a buyout before giving up capital to move him

I wouldn’t bet on that. I’m sure the “paying” aspect is a player for Mantha plus a pick.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll