SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Order predictions with full analysis

Order predictions with full analysis

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: michaeldym
Published: Jun. 19, 2023 at 2:39 p.m.
Description
My thoughts on what will happen in the 1st round with an analysis of each player and how they help each franchise.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Debated this one. There are people extremely high on Fantilli, and also very High on Carlsson. Also, many are iffy about Fantilli, although him projcting to be very good, maybe they are not as high on him as many thing. I think the Ducks will take Fantilli, but there have been reports on them wanting the Swedish Center too, I think.
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-I do not see CBJ taking anyone but Carlsson or Fantilli, it is relatively easy for them. They have stated they are getting a Center and it should be Carlsson if Fantilli is gone.
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Sharks are interesting Do they take Will Smith? Or do they take Michkov. My reasoning on Michkov is that why would the sharks need anyone in the next 3 years anyways? They do not have amaizng prospects (aside Eklund), and they still have an aging roster with heavy contracts. IF they take Michkov, chances are they will have better talent in 3 years, and will not have to start paying Michkov for about 5-6 years. I still think they take Smith, safer pick for them given Michkov's "risk".
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-I cannot begin to tell you as a Hab fan how worried I am for us at 5. We are too stubborn to take Michkov, and that is worrying. He is arguably, and probably the 2nd most talented player in this draft. The Habs should take him, but if they do not, they need to next best guy, which is Benson. Shifty, Dynamic Playmaker, Smart, he can fit in nicely to MTL's top 6 soon. He is small, but you need talent in this draft especially if you are the Habs, and picking top 5.
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Coyotes get a gift. Pure gift. They probably would have taken Reinbacher, but this guy is too good to let fall. Coyotes have solid young pieces and more coming, I think this buys them time to get better young players before they become even more competitve. They have a generational star here if they get him. Plus, no state tax? Michkov could be here forerver lol.
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Big boy, good skater, has improved his draft stock a lot this year. Reinbacher would be a great fit in Philly. He skates well, good stick and pretty smart, loves jumping in rush too. They also stated they want to become better on D through the Draft. He could be a great top 4, maybe even be a top 2 (I am sure he will play those mins eventually). Good pick at 7 for them.
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-Feels like WSH's pick. Dvorsky is a solid 2 way center. I think he fills exactly what Washington needs moving forward, which is a center. Kuzneztkov could be gone, Backstrom is aging and injury prone. Strome is good, but getting a guy like Dvorsky who can improve a lot moving forward, would be great for them.
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Wings are in such an interesting spot. They have bad luck when it comes to lottery picks. Throughput this rebuild, the highest they have picked is 4th overall. This draft fortunately has a lot of upside, but also fills a lot of their needs. Wood is a big big winger, who has the skills of a small player. Good hands, great shot, can move too. The Wings have Raymond, Bergerren, and Kubalik, who are their youngest wingers in their top 6. They need more offensive punch and Wood can fit in here. They do need a center, but this is also a big need. Could have also seen them go with Axel Sandin Pellikka, as the Wings love Swedes.
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-I like Ryan Leonard here. Blues need more talent with Kyrou and Thomas, and Leonard can bring that hard nosed, yet talented hockey to St. Louis. Accelerates fast, and works very hard. This is a great pick at 9 for them and I think they will not regret it.
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Vancouver lacks a lot of things. They do not have many great D prospects, and have OK forward prospects. Here is my thinking: J.T. Miller is not gonna be a Canuck for much longer. The writing is on the wall for it. There has been way too much drama with him, and a trade at one point seems inevitable. The Canucks have tried to trade him too, and they want a young C in return. Here they get an opportunity to grab one without trading Miller for one, potentially expanding the return market to other positions for Miller moving forward. Moore is dynamic, and very fast. Good hands, very good skill and has shown this year he can score.
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsI think if Michkov was gone, the Coyotes would have taken Reinbacher. Here, they can get a better puck moving D-man and someone who can potentially QB their powerplay. He will need to become tougher in the NHL, and bulk up too. But has great IQ which is what he can bank on to make up for it. Michkov and Pellikka would bolster the Coyotes system by a lot, and help them moving forward.
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Barlow would be such a good pick for Buffalo. Yes, they have tons of wingers in Tuch, Skinner, Quinn, Petreka, but an addition of a young goal scorer to that group could pay off in the future. Buffalo did have a good season, but ultimately missed the playoffs which is where they want to be. This pick could make them even more dangerous moving forward, especially if they add a big FA or acquire a big player in a trade this summer.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Odd pick for a team with 2 centers already. But, my logic is this: Regardless if Crosby and Malkin are 35+, and whether Dubas says they need to go all in to get a cup with that core or not, does not really change this pick for me. Theu could add Honzek or Yager, but this pick could be a trade chip. Danielson is a good playmaker, he likes to drive low and try to find teammates. I think the Pens have a garbage prospect pool, for good reason, but still, I think they should have at least a few solid ones and I think Dubas will find a way to do so. Something the Pens also need is speed, and Danielson is very fast. Whether they keep him and prepare him to lead the Post-Crosby/Malkin era, or use him as trade bait, it is a good pick for the Pens here.
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-Trotz literally came out and said for the scouts to take swings on talent, finding the bottom 6 guys is something he can do. Here, the Preds swing hard, and take But. He is a giant, and has similarities to guys like Malkin and Nichuskin. He has a powerful shot, which can be great for the Preds moving forward. There is upside here, and a lot of it, and this is someone they should consider here especially after Trotz's comments.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-This seems like a Calgary Pick. Yager can play multiple positions, and could appear very attractive due to his versatility positionally, but also all around the ice when he is on. He is skilled, works hard, and has a quick shot which could be very useful moving forward. He is not the biggest so bulking up should remain a priority, and his playmaking could improve, but not terrible. He has "good" potential, and it really will be interesting to see if his style translates to the NHL and he can un-tap a higher level potential through his development. Calgary could use this as bait to trade for a current NHL player, or wait this one out and eventually slot him in on the wing or center.
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York IslandersDetroit gets a potentially great player here at 17. Cristall can be an elite goal scorer, but his playmaking is also very very good. His vision too, very strong. Yes, he is a small player, but look at other small players like Caufield, DeBrincat, Hughes, et. Small guys work in this league. There is concern he will get bullied around, bodied, out muscled and that in the playoffs, but that is the reality of a small talented offensive player. You have to take the best talent, and here Cristall embodies that, and has a lot of potential worth banking on.
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Jets could use a Dman, and Willander poses a great opportunity for them to take one. Now, he has risen a lot, but could also slip here. Myabe Nashville takes a D, or Pittsburgh, but maybe they do not. Maybe Arizona takes him, but assuming they do not, I think the Jets will love to get their hands on Willander. Good stride, good playmaker, good deception, and can join the rush too and be effective. This could be a steal or just right timing pick, but based on most reports/mocks, he is not in the top 20, but he may be in a week.
19Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningHonzek is an exciting prospect. He can score goals, and can play in traffic. He is a big player too, who can skate very well. Chicago should focus on players Bedard can play with. Getting him a potential goal scorer moving forward will be important for the team, and a big scoring winger is always a want. Power forwards do not come around often and they prove to be pivotal. Not saying he is a Tkachuck, but PWF who can score and skate well, is a rare commodity.
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-Maybe a little bit early, but I can see the Kraken going after a Defenseman here. Dragievic may have some issues in the D zone, but I think that can be taught. What I don't think can be taught is the skills he has. Great puck mover, great playmaker as a Dman, great PP QB. He has great offensive instincts which I think Seattle could benefit. Yes, they have Dunn, and he has been the QB there and their OFD. Another one does not hurt, and he is also a RHD who are rare and very coveted. They can develop him and use him, or use him as trade bait to imporve their current roster.
21Logo of the Minnesota Wild-I have no idea what's up with Marco Rossi, but I still think the Wild could use some center depth. Ritchie is a solid playmaker, and a good puck mover up the ice. He also has great hands and skill, however this year many used the word "inconsistent". I think this may have to do with the injury he dealt with, his shoulder, which could have hindered his full ability.
22Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Los Angeles KingsFlyers take a really high-end skill and playmaker in Perrault. He is smart, crafty and has the upside to be a very good top 6 player. He may be smaller, and there is reason and concern that he will struggle to play against men, his skillset could override any of those issues and allow him to succeed.
23Logo of the New York Rangers-Rangers take a risk, but one that can pay off in many ways. Musty is a big winger, who can drive a line, score, shoot hard, and make plays. He has good O zone instincts, and a good playmaker as well. The concern with him is his consistency and physicality. For a big player, he will have to use his body to his advantage. A lot of players in the league who are drafted with big size, usually need to fill out, but also learn and understand the advantages of having a big body. Ideally he does learn, and this can be a steal in the draft for the Rangers.
24Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton OilersOffensive play driver, very talented and someone who is hard to play against. Also, he is deemed to have a great shot, which many believe is not recognized due to his outstanding playmaking ability. Heidt could be taken way earlier, and he very well could be. His size may be a downside, but again, small elite offensive players work in the NHL. Maybe teams start taking players positionally, but Heidt at 24 could be a very good grab for Nashville who wants the best talent they can get!
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsMay not be the fastest skater, but a good puck mover and a good first pass, is a very good skater for his size and also has tremendous IQ on the offensive and defensive sides. A good pick for the Blues to develop more defenceman.
26Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsSale was projected top 7 at one point this year, and has since dropped off. He could be a guy that really develops well and becomes what scouts and executives thought of him at the start of the year. He had to deal with a lot of competition pushing upward, but also had a mediocre year, and the playoffs were not great point-wise. He is quick, very good IQ, and here he is definitely worth taking. Very much a 1st round talent, working on consistency for him is key for him to regain that top 10 pick potential. They may go with Hrabal here, but it may be too early with talent like Sale and others available.
27Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-He may go 2nd round, and I can definitely see it, but lets say the Avs take Simashev, that would be a nice add for them. He is a beast defensively, with size, which is what many executives want in a DFD. He does have limited offenisve upside, but Colorado already has plenty of puck moving D and offense. Who knows, the Avs being a quick team with high-end skill, we may see that offensive potential rise. He is a great skater and has a great first pass. He does come from Russia, but should be considered really valuable for any team that wants to develop a defensive beast.
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston BruinsStenberg is a unique player. He has very good skill, great shot, and is able to play a strong 200ft complete game as a center. Overall, extremely dynamic, great IQ and a pain to play against. Sizewise as a center, typically when all this is said about a player, you would think they are 6'2 +. However, he is under 6, but plays big, which is even more attractive to teams. Leafs usually draft well, and can develop good players too. He could be used as a trade chip for them moving forward too.
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Dallas StarsStramel had an ok season, but has tools a lot of players would like to have. He is big, and a great shot. He may lack playmaking ability, but as a powerforward, he needs to drive pucks to the net, be a physical presence, and shoot on net. To help him with his compete level which is supposedly very good, he compliments it with good and efficient skating. There are many smaller players in this draft, and Stramel may have been underwhelming this year, but big power forwards are rare and something the Blues should take at either 25 or 29, depending on who else is available.
30Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Gauthier has skill and playmaking abilities, but lacks offensive production. I do think that can be rectified in Carolina though. Look at Kotkaniemi, Necas, etc. If you have good tools like a good 200ft game, a good playmaker and possession player, and a high work ethic and drive, I am sure the potential to produce is there and those will help him. Rod can help this kid grow as a player, as it seems he has helped the majority of home grown and acquired young players up to this point.
31Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Florida PanthersHabs have stated that they plan to draft a goalie, earlier than the 4th round. I think this may be a shot to do so. He could be taken by now, but this also may be a bit of a reach. If they feel like SJS or Chicago would take him with their 2nd rounders which are before Montreal's, then they could take him now and select a skater afterwards. This may be drafting for need, but something that is not usually availablke all the time. Hrabal is huge, 6'6 and has good tools already such as tracking the puck, movement, and agility. He did have a shaky year, on a bad team to be fair, but has upside to be a starter, and possibly an elite starting goalie in the NHL if developed appropriately.
32Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Maybe some of the earlier picks were based on pure offensive talent, which couldexplain why Gulyayev has fallen. Wherever he goes, he is a first round talent. He has tremendous skating abilities, and has great offensive instincts as well as Hockey IQ. He can run a powerplay too, but where he struggles are defensive battles and his size. He will need to bulk up to be able to win more battles, or find a different technique to win them. He may be playing up against big wingers or centers, so that will be important to become multi-dimensional as a Dman. Regardless, he has exciting potential worth taking a chance on.
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
33Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
34Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
35Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
36Logo of the San Jose Sharks-
37Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
38Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
39Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Philadelphia Flyers
40Logo of the Washington Capitals-
41Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
42Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the St. Louis Blues
43Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Vancouver Canucks
44Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Ottawa Senators
45Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
46Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
47Logo of the Nashville Predators-
48Logo of the Calgary Flames-
49Logo of the New York Islanders-
50Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Winnipeg Jets
51Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
52Logo of the Seattle Kraken-
53Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
54Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
55Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the New York Rangers
56Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
57Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
58Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
59Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
60Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston Bruins
61Logo of the Dallas Stars-
62Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
63Logo of the Florida Panthers-
64Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
Jun. 19, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.
WPGSK
Torn between Willander and Sale at 18 for the Jets.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 2:50 p.m.
I like the Hrabal Pick. I would rather Leonard than Benson if we decide not to take Michkov at 5
Jun. 19, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
Moo-kama-doo-lin
Michkov won’t even talk to half the teams, that is going to basically let him pick where he wants to go and NHL execs are going to hate him for it. On one hand its smart for him, on the other hand it makes him look like like he has an entitlement issue.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 5:16 p.m.
Quoting: ggha777
I like the Hrabal Pick. I would rather Leonard than Benson if we decide not to take Michkov at 5

habs don't need a g
Jun. 19, 2023 at 5:47 p.m.
Fall River Habs
Quoting: Brian_O_Blivion
Michkov won’t even talk to half the teams, that is going to basically let him pick where he wants to go and NHL execs are going to hate him for it. On one hand its smart for him, on the other hand it makes him look like like he has an entitlement issue.

If you are basing your comment off of the Elliott Friedman comments then your statement is not entirely correct. He only said that some teams have not been able to confirm that they can meet with him, not that he has refused to meet with any particular team.
Your comment may be right, but it could also be a misinterpretation.
I hope Michkov goes to Montreal if he is available at 5
Jun. 19, 2023 at 5:51 p.m.
Moo-kama-doo-lin
Quoting: KentMcNally
If you are basing your comment off of the Elliott Friedman comments then your statement is not entirely correct. He only said that some teams have not been able to confirm that they can meet with him, not that he has refused to meet with any particular team.
Your comment may be right, but it could also be a misinterpretation.
I hope Michkov goes to Montreal if he is available at 5

Misdirection by NHL teams at the draft is common. Too many question marks around him. I won’t be upset if SJ selects him assuming Grier and Michkov had an agreement but as it stands there are so many concerns.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 9:25 p.m.
Quoting: Higgins019
habs don't need a g

We could very well use a Goalie prospect
Jun. 20, 2023 at 10:28 a.m.
Bedard23
I would rather Perreault or Bonk at 19 if they’re available but Honzek isn’t too bad

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll