SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

2023 Mock Draft

2023 Mock Draft

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: AndrewLadd
Published: Jun. 28, 2023 at 6:09 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-I don’t think I need to do much explaining here. The next face of the league goes to the most controversial team in the league. I will say though, I love the acquisition of Taylor Hall for the Blackhawks to play with Bedard.
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Also a pretty obvious pick. Like a few other guys in this draft, he could easily be a 1st overall pick in other drafts that didn’t have Connor Bedard. Anaheim’s center depth looks scary after
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Jarmo has said he is taking a future 1C with this pick, and Carlsson fits that bill the best. He’s a more complete player than Will Smith, who some have CBJ taking here, but I don’t see it. Carlsson just had a monster season for a draft eligible skater in the SHL, and he has one of the highest hockey IQs in the class.
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-On my personal rankings, Will Smith is lower on my board. To me he’s just a little bit of a worse version of Logan Cooley. Still, I don’t think the Sharks pass on the 4th center that ends up in this spot. He’s a very flashy and creative player, with questions about his compete level.
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-If Montreal believes Newhook is a center, I’m convinced they have taken a liking to Michkov. This would be a home run pick, and he’s the 2nd ranked prospect on my board. Such a rare, offensive talent and a future superstar. He has the skill set of Nikita Kucherov but likes to shoot more. Montreal takes their future face of the franchise and doesn’t look back.
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Reinbacher is lower than this on my board, but he feels like a Bill Armstrong type of player. Big, good defender and a solid skater, who ate up minutes playing against men. He’s probably the best dman in the class, although it’s close to Simashev. It’s a solid pick albeit a reach, but if he can fulfill some of his untapped offensive potential, he could become a first pair dman.
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Benson is one of my favorite players in the class, and the number 5 guy on my board. I think he’s a future stud. He’s an all-world passer, great hands, fantastic 2-way guy, underrated release and a tenacious player on the puck. Philly fans should be foaming at the mouth of the possibility of Benson and Gauthier on the same line. If Benson can improve his skating, the team that drafts him could have a future superstar on their hands.
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-Willander has a great combo of speed, size, strength and smarts. He knows how to use his body as well, making him a nightmare to play against. Washington has gone forward in round 1 for the past few years, so I think it’s high time they take a defender.
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Ryan Leonard is the type of guy everyone loves to play with but everyone hates to play against. One of the most feisty players in the class, he’s seen as a guy who’d be great to have in the playoffs. His floor is fairly high, but I have questions on his ceiling, hence why I have him dropping a big.
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-After trading center Ryan O’Reilly at the deadline, St. Louis has a need at the position. Dvorsky in my eyes is he’s good at pretty much everyone but a master of none. He’s fallen a bit on draft boards compared to the start of the year, but he’s still an enticing prospect and a guy who I see as a high end future 2C.
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Simashev, a guy who has been labeled a sexy pick recently, is a fantastic and smooth skater, and uses it to his advantage when he defends. Everyone knows Vancouver needs help on the defensive size of the puck, so I think I can easily see them take this rangy defender who could have some offensive upside as well. He can be what they wanted Tyler Myers to be.
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsPerreault has a rocket shot and good hands, and can drive play decently well. His huge knock is his skating, but if he can improve significantly on it, you’re looking at a guy who will perennially sniff 30 goals a year.
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Since Buffalo already has a bevy of high end forward prospects, they elect to go defense here. Although on the smaller side, Sandin Pellikka is strong along the boards and in the defensive zone, and he posses high end offensive tools. I feel that him and Owen Power could make a great, mobile pair on defense.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-With Crosby and Malkin being unable to stick around forever, the Pens elect to take a center who was at one point projected to go top 5. He’s a great passer and good on transition, plays a 200 foot game and he’s got a wicked release. Being mentored by Crosby and Malkin ain’t so bad either. I could see this end up being a steal.
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-Barry Trotz wants to draft skill early, and take some chances. No player fits this bill like But. He’s big, but don’t let that fool you. He’s got silky mitts and he’s an extremely accurate passer, and can get pucks in tight areas that not many hockey players can. With a decent release on top of this, he’s an extremely intriguing prospect, and we could be wondering why he wasn’t drafted higher one day.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-Moore slips in this mock because I am not very high on him. The good traits he does posses he doesn’t use very properly. I don’t think his ceiling is very high either. Despite this, many people have fallen in love with his game and his skill would be too tantalizing to pass up for Calgary here, who’s having a mass exodus of players. With Lindholm and Backlund both slated to be packing up their bags soon, Moore is a pretty good nab for Calgary all things considered.
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York Islanders
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
19Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-
21Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
22Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Los Angeles Kings
23Logo of the New York Rangers-
24Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
26Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey Devils
27Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston Bruins