Karlsson stays

Created by: jakdonaghy
Team: 2023-24 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 27, 2023
Published: Jul. 27, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Several Issues:

Defensive logjam. Need to free up space to give Thrun, Pulli, Mukh, Okhotiuk, Gawanke some time in NHL. WIth 7 defenders on NHL contracts (and MacDonald) its tough to imagine how this is accomplished? Assume Macdonald plays in AHL, but does Simek as well? Can they find a suitable deal for Karlsson? However its done, Sharks need to clear out a few of the guys on NHL deals.

Labanc. May he forever be remembered for his 4 point performance in game 7 vs Vegas. I can't see how he can thrive after the rough patch last year with this same coaching staff, but also playing on 4th line will result in continued zero trade value.

Bystedt, Haltunen play in Europe, Laroque in major juniors

Sharks have $6 million in cap space they could weaponize by either taking a bad contract with a sweetener or trying to sign a Tatar/Tarasenko to 1 year deal and trade at deadline. Downside may be, and especially if EK65 returns, that the team performs better than last year and takes themselves out of contention for a good lottery pick next draft.

This roster may be more fun to watch all year, but definitely not playoff bound. Can plan on seeing Barabonov, Duclair, Tatar getting traded with Bordeleau, Guschin, Peterson taking their spots.

Will hope for a repeat season by EK65 and midseason trade, along with a Matt Benning trade making space for Thrun and Mukh/Pulli
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$5,000,000
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$78,608,334$25,000$850,000$4,891,666

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$6,750,000$6,750,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW
RFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, C
RFA - 1
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RW
RFA - 2
$4,725,000$4,725,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,350,000$2,350,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$836,667$836,667 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RD
RFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
RFA - 4
$940,000$940,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
RFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 27, 2023 at 4:37 p.m.
Rather sign Tarasenko he has more upside
jakdonaghy liked this.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 4:42 p.m.
Stovetop
Massive overpay for Tatar. The kids should be getting oppurtunities in that top 6, not plugging it up with 30+ year old wingers
Jul. 27, 2023 at 9:26 p.m.
Quoting: AStovetop
Massive overpay for Tatar. The kids should be getting oppurtunities in that top 6, not plugging it up with 30+ year old wingers

I'm probably the minority on this but I think the kids should play in the AHL. The only one I would put in the NHL is Thrun, because he will probably leave if forced to play in the AHL. I don't think he is ready for the NHL though. I'm not sold that playing on the worst team in the NHL is the best place to gain confidence and improve your skills,
jakdonaghy liked this.
Jul. 28, 2023 at 1:36 a.m.
Quoting: goodaytoday
I'm probably the minority on this but I think the kids should play in the AHL. The only one I would put in the NHL is Thrun, because he will probably leave if forced to play in the AHL. I don't think he is ready for the NHL though. I'm not sold that playing on the worst team in the NHL is the best place to gain confidence and improve your skills,

100% agree. I'd even keep Eklund down until injury or trade opens up a spot or he is absolutely torching the AHL. A great opportunity for the youngsters to bond playing in Cuda in what would hopefully be a winning team. With Thrun as long as they retain his RFA rights at least they could trade him for assets? But it seems like Thrun, Gawanke and Pulli all came to Sharks in hopes of a shot at NHL, which is odd to me because the Sharks already have 7 D men on NHL contracts?
goodaytoday liked this.
Jul. 28, 2023 at 2:50 a.m.
Quoting: jakdonaghy
100% agree. I'd even keep Eklund down until injury or trade opens up a spot or he is absolutely torching the AHL. A great opportunity for the youngsters to bond playing in Cuda in what would hopefully be a winning team. With Thrun as long as they retain his RFA rights at least they could trade him for assets? But it seems like Thrun, Gawanke and Pulli all came to Sharks in hopes of a shot at NHL, which is odd to me because the Sharks already have 7 D men on NHL contracts?

I would absolutely send Eklund down. I want to see him at a point per game for a full season in the AHL before he gets called up. The same goes for Mukhamadullin, although I think he is the closest to being ready out of all the prospects. Let Zetterlund and Zadina show use what they can do in the meantime. As with Thrun, yes we could retain his rights. But if he gets mad at being sent down, he seems like the kind of guy who would ask for a trade, and that would ruin his potential value. I would rather keep him in the NHL and happy, so he is more likely to sign and increase his value latter on down the line. As for the other d-man you mentioned SJS love to shuffle their 6-7 d-man. I could see them all playing 10 games or so this season. I don't see it being much of a problem sending Knyzhov and Burroughs down if needed. No one will want their contracts.
jakdonaghy liked this.
Jul. 28, 2023 at 11:11 a.m.
Stovetop

I think most should START in the AHL but this is the year some of them need to get a fairly significant amount of games. Eklund is ready. Bordeleau I think could start in the AHL along with Robins. I think Gushchin is ready more than anyone. As for D-men, there's realistically only one spot (and that's assuming Simek gets buried in the minors), and it seems Thrun is ready for it. Shakir looks absolutely insane in his short stint in the AHL last year so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a lot of games when inevitable injuries happen, or if he has a great camp
Jul. 28, 2023 at 11:16 a.m.
Stovetop
I would absolutely send Eklund down. I want to see him at a point per game for a full season in the AHL before he gets called up. The same goes for Mukhamadullin, although I think he is the closest to being ready out of all the prospects. Let Zetterlund and Zadina show use what they can do in the meantime. As with Thrun, yes we could retain his rights. But if he gets mad at being sent down, he seems like the kind of guy who would ask for a trade, and that would ruin his potential value. I would rather keep him in the NHL and happy, so he is more likely to sign and increase his value latter on down the line. As for the other d-man you mentioned SJS love to shuffle their 6-7 d-man. I could see them all playing 10 games or so this season. I don't see it being much of a problem sending Knyzhov and Burroughs down if needed. No one will want their contracts.

With AHL performance, you can't look at point totals and say he's not ready until they dominate. This Cuda team was not good, the only impact players were rookies. I watched around 70% of the cuda games and I can confidently say Eklund is beyond ready. If they were to keep him in the AHL, I hope they have him pay a majority of the time at Center though

Also why do you have that impression about Thrun? Have you seen him in interviews? Kid is humble as hell
jakdonaghy liked this.
Jul. 28, 2023 at 7:16 p.m.
Quoting: AStovetop
With AHL performance, you can't look at point totals and say he's not ready until they dominate. This Cuda team was not good, the only impact players were rookies. I watched around 70% of the cuda games and I can confidently say Eklund is beyond ready. If they were to keep him in the AHL, I hope they have him pay a majority of the time at Center though

Also why do you have that impression about Thrun? Have you seen him in interviews? Kid is humble as hell

If you say Eklund is ready for the NHL, as in he will put up 40-50 points, then yes he is ready. I want him to put up over 60 and I don't see him doing that this year, hence why I don't think he is ready.

As for Thrun it rubs me the wrong way when teams draft a player and that player doesn't sign with them. It comes off as very selfish and the opposite of a team player. I'll admit I haven't read anything about the circumstances of why Thrun didn't sign with the Quacks. That alone makes me think he is the kind of guy to demand a trade if he doesn't get what he wants. I haven't watched any of his interviews.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 11:30 a.m.
Stovetop
If you say Eklund is ready for the NHL, as in he will put up 40-50 points, then yes he is ready. I want him to put up over 60 and I don't see him doing that this year, hence why I don't think he is ready.

As for Thrun it rubs me the wrong way when teams draft a player and that player doesn't sign with them. It comes off as very selfish and the opposite of a team player. I'll admit I haven't read anything about the circumstances of why Thrun didn't sign with the Quacks. That alone makes me think he is the kind of guy to demand a trade if he doesn't get what he wants. I haven't watched any of his interviews.

Wow you're expectations for NHL rookies are crazy. It's called development. You can't just shelter you're prospects for 4-5 years and then say "ok, now go get 60 points". That's the point total that typically gets you in the Calder finalist voting. You can't just expect that from players. 40-50 points would be very good

As for Thrun, the Ducks have a deeper defensive prospect pool and he knew he wouldn't get playing time. The Ducks didn't sign him and his rights were about to expire so he did what was best for him. He signed a contract with a team that could guarantee NHL time to end the season, burn a year of his contract, and actually get paid for playing hockey. If he didn't want to be in SJ he could have just waiting a few months and gone to Free Agency and singed with anyone

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll