Draft Class: 2019
Created By: Sharkie69
Published: Aug. 8, 2023 at 10:56 a.m.
Description
Why am I doing this?
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
Logan Couture
These Top 2 players are basically tied. They are both great players, but they aren't absolute superstars. I think the only time they have drafted a superstar in the first round was with Patrick Marleau in '97.
2Logo of the New York Rangers-
Tomas Hertl
3Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
Timo Meier
I think this player has the potential to be the best player on this list eventually, too bad the Sharks don't have him anymore.
4Logo of the Colorado AvalancheLogo of the Ottawa Senators
Josh Norris
I like Karlsson, but that trade with Ottawa was a terrible trade. I would much rather have Stutzle and Norris.
5Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
Milan Michalek
Pretty decent player.
6Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
Charlie Coyle
Bet you forgot he was a Sharks draft pick. Unlike the Karlsson trade, I'm very happy with who they traded Coyle for. I don't know what the team would've looked like in the 2010s without Brent Burns.
7Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
Devin Setoguchi
The other player that was traded for Burns. He was a fine player, but nothing amazing. These next couple players are about that same level of quality.
8Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
Steve Bernier
9Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
Marcel Goc
Can't Believe that the Sharks only drafted 9 consistent NHLers out of 16 first round picks, and most of those players didn't play much for the team.
10Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
Mirco Mueller
11Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Philadelphia Flyers
Nikolay Goldobin
12Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
Ryan Merkley
I know this might be early, but I'm starting to lose hope in Merkley, which is too bad, because I really liked him as a prospect.
13Logo of the Florida Panthers-
Ty Wishart
14Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Arizona Coyotes
Lukas Kaspar
15Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
Nick Petrecki
16Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
Mike Morris
17Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-
19Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
20Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-
22Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
23Logo of the New York Islanders-
24Logo of the Nashville Predators-
25Logo of the Washington Capitals-
26Logo of the Calgary Flames-
27Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-
28Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
29Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the San Jose Sharks
30Logo of the Boston Bruins-
31Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the St. Louis Blues
Aug. 8, 2023 at 11:25 a.m.
mokumboi
Oh wow. I didn't realize how poorly the Sharks had drafted in the 1st round. This starts out great, but rather wrinkly heads south. Waaaaaay south. Often. Yikes.
Sharkie69 liked this.
Aug. 8, 2023 at 1:49 p.m.
stop daddy it hurts
Quoting: mokumboi
Oh wow. I didn't realize how poorly the Sharks had drafted in the 1st round. This starts out great, but rather wrinkly heads south. Waaaaaay south. Often. Yikes.

The Sharks are coated in deep layers of suck. I wasn't really surprised how bad the list was when I first saw it.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 1:56 a.m.

You have to understand the only top 5 draft pick since 2000 was Smith this year the average draft spot 2000-2019 was like 20th OA
Aug. 9, 2023 at 2:00 a.m.
Quoting: Sharkie69
The Sharks are coated in deep layers of suck. I wasn't really surprised how bad the list was when I first saw it.

You can’t judge without understanding the average draft spot was 20th OA and none are top 5. NHL average from picks 15-25 only 70% ever play a game and only 59% play more than a 100. Their average isn’t bad.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 3:24 a.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: Rob32sjsharks
You can’t judge without understanding the average draft spot was 20th OA and none are top 5. NHL average from picks 15-25 only 70% ever play a game and only 59% play more than a 100. Their average isn’t bad.

Buddy, it's teetering toward brutal. Until this summer the Blues hadn't had a top 10 pick in 15 years and hadn't had a 1st higher then 17th since 2010. They've basically been between 18 and 26 for eons. They've hit on nearly all their 1sts for almost two decades.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 3:54 a.m.
Buddy, it's teetering toward brutal. Until this summer the Blues hadn't had a top 10 pick in 15 years and hadn't had a 1st higher then 17th since 2010. They've basically been between 18 and 26 for eons. They've hit on nearly all their 1sts for almost two decades.

I doubt that especially considering they’re not that good. Sharks actually grade out as one of the better drafting teams. They find a lot of mid to late round gems (Pavelski, Labanc, Braun, Demello etc.) but there is room for improvement not going to lie
Aug. 9, 2023 at 10:56 a.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: Rob32sjsharks
I doubt that especially considering they’re not that good. Sharks actually grade out as one of the better drafting teams. They find a lot of mid to late round gems (Pavelski, Labanc, Braun, Demello etc.) but there is room for improvement not going to lie

Bruh. Starting from 2022 and moving backwards:

Snuggerud*
Bolduc
Neighbours*
Bokk
Thomas*
Kostin*
Thompson*
Fabbri*
Schmaltz*
Tarasenko
Schwartz
Rundblad
Pietrangelo
Eller
Cole
Perron*
Johnson
Berglund*
Oshie*

And of the three busts, Rundblad was traded straight up for the pick that got Tarasenko and Bokk was sent in the Faulk deal, so they quickly moved those guys out for goodies while they still had value. Then you add on all the Dunns and Paraykos and Barbashevs ans Bishops from later rounds. It's easy to laugh and say "oh but they're not good" cherry picking off one bad season, but the Blues drafted 13 players from their Cup winning team.

I know what awful drafting looks like, the Blues were among the worst under a previous scouting regime in the 90s and the first few years of the 00s. Of course the Sharks have hit a few home runs, but 23 years is a long time to go with twice as many total strikeouts as hits. The Sharks need to fix their scouting, man. Picking late a lot is not really an excuse to miss this much. Not trying to roast, just being for real. If the Blies had this drafting record, I'd be up in arms.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 3:56 p.m.
Bruh. Starting from 2022 and moving backwards:

Snuggerud*
Bolduc
Neighbours*
Bokk
Thomas*
Kostin*
Thompson*
Fabbri*
Schmaltz*
Tarasenko
Schwartz
Rundblad
Pietrangelo
Eller
Cole
Perron*
Johnson
Berglund*
Oshie*

And of the three busts, Rundblad was traded straight up for the pick that got Tarasenko and Bokk was sent in the Faulk deal, so they quickly moved those guys out for goodies while they still had value. Then you add on all the Dunns and Paraykos and Barbashevs ans Bishops from later rounds. It's easy to laugh and say "oh but they're not good" cherry picking off one bad season, but the Blues drafted 13 players from their Cup winning team.

I know what awful drafting looks like, the Blues were among the worst under a previous scouting regime in the 90s and the first few years of the 00s. Of course the Sharks have hit a few home runs, but 23 years is a long time to go with twice as many total strikeouts as hits. The Sharks need to fix their scouting, man. Picking late a lot is not really an excuse to miss this much. Not trying to roast, just being for real. If the Blies had this drafting record, I'd be up in arms.

Sharks stopped focusing on scouting till DW JR took over in 17/18, the sharks drafting from 18-22 was way better and 23 looks like a pretty solid draft class for us, Svoboda was a big reach but he could be a solid gritty 4C and getting that in the 3rd round or later isn’t bad decision. But yea 02-17 was more luck than good scouting IMO.

That being said based on a few scouting reports grading the scouting over that period sharks rated really well given the lack of picks they had and how late they usually drafted

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll