Forums/Armchair-GM

A duck needs wings to fly

Created by: Lactic_Flaccid
Team: 2024-25 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 20, 2023
Published: Nov. 20, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is mostly an effort to rinse ourselves from the slew of Zegras trades that were forced upon us that I just suffered through this morning... Similar to my post on RHD a week or so ago, I am taking a look at a whole lot of winger options who could be available to the Ducks at the end of the season. Curious to see who you all would like to see fill out the top 6 (if anyone). My thoughts are that Nylander is the best option talent wise, but with the way he is playing thus far this season, he may price himself out of a reasonable cap hit, and although we can afford it now, it may cause problems in the future. I'm a fan of Laine, and his recent healthy scratch could be a sign of what's to come. His 8.7 cap hit could also make him a relatively cheap trade option to bring in if Columbus is wanting to let him go. I'm not sure he does come available and I would think the concerns over his compete level don't encourage Verbeek, but I think he could be a solid option nonetheless. With that all said, I would be looking to the FA market where Pat has been able to make some moves the past couple of years.

My top option left is probably Sam Reinhart. I'm not going to pretend I looked into Florida's cap situation, but if they do not intend to resign him, I think Anaheim could be a good fit. He's not too old, won't be too expensive, and has a consistent goal scoring touch that the top 6 could use. Plus he passes Verbeek's height requirement and plays a responsible two way game, seems to fit the mold of Cronin's system and wouldn't cost us any assets to acquire.

Top 9 could look like:

Z - Carlsson - Strome
Frank - McT - Reinhart
Killorn - Lundy - Terry
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,000,000
3$1,000,000
3$1,000,000
3$1,000,000
3$1,000,000
3$1,000,000
3$1,000,000
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
13$83,500,000$56,113,750$0$0$27,386,250
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C, RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 8
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,950,000$4,950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,400,000$6,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$812,500$812,500
G
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 20, 2023 at 4:43 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
We can afford to throw money at Nylander and have it not become a problem (thanks Terry for taking a team friendly deal there)

Reinhart would be a great option as well, but again, we'd be paying a steep UFA tax.

I like Laine, I'm the one who proposed a swap with him and Zegras this morning, I think there's legitimately a fit there for both teams with some other window dressing to balance the value and needs of both teams.

The issue, if we go the UFA route, even with Henrique and Silf leaving in UFA, is that we will be overfull at forward.
Nov. 20, 2023 at 4:56 p.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
We can afford to throw money at Nylander and have it not become a problem (thanks Terry for taking a team friendly deal there)

Reinhart would be a great option as well, but again, we'd be paying a steep UFA tax.

I like Laine, I'm the one who proposed a swap with him and Zegras this morning, I think there's legitimately a fit there for both teams with some other window dressing to balance the value and needs of both teams.

The issue, if we go the UFA route, even with Henrique and Silf leaving in UFA, is that we will be overfull at forward.

I still think the UFA premium on Reinhart prices him at a far more manageable and fair level than Nylander. Unless Columbus added more than fair value to the Laine - Zegras option, I am iffy on that trade. Maybe its just attachment to the guys we already have, but I just think that Zegras has yet to hit his ceiling, where Laine at 25 is closer to his and if Z popped off and became a superstar with Columbus, I would be very upset. The forward depth would definitely be too deep and guys would have to get waived if we dont shed a few in a trade. In an ideal world, a few of them are smaller pieces as part of a deal to bring in a RHD (I will continue to plug Rasmus Andersson).
Nov. 20, 2023 at 5:02 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Edited Nov. 20, 2023 at 5:33 p.m.
Quoting: TrevorsZebras
I still think the UFA premium on Reinhart prices him at a far more manageable and fair level than Nylander. Unless Columbus added more than fair value to the Laine - Zegras option, I am iffy on that trade. Maybe its just attachment to the guys we already have, but I just think that Zegras has yet to hit his ceiling, where Laine at 25 is closer to his and if Z popped off and became a superstar with Columbus, I would be very upset. The forward depth would definitely be too deep and guys would have to get waived if we dont shed a few in a trade. In an ideal world, a few of them are smaller pieces as part of a deal to bring in a RHD (I will continue to plug Rasmus Andersson).

Laine has also scored 44 goals before, and the likelihood is Zegras never gets above the 30 goal mark, since he's a playmaker first. Put Laine on Carlson's wing and the dude could hit 50 goals in a season. Zegras can only hit 100 points in a season if he has someone to set up, and right now, Anaheim doesn't have enough scorers.

I think its attachment. Yes, Zegras probably would pop off with the wing talent that Columbus has, just as Laine could pop off playing on the wings with the center talent Anaheim has. They both have superstar skill, it's just a matter of putting them in positions to succeed. Does Anaheim have a position for Zegras to succeed? I don't know at this point.

I do agree that Columbus would add some, Zegras is hugely marketable, that would be massive to a small market franchise, and as a center he's more valuable than a winger, but it wouldn't be huge.

At the end of the day, I'd use Zegras as a trade piece to get one of the following. (Not necessarily straight up)

Pastranak
McAvoy
Jiricek
Laine
Dobson
Seider

Outside of that, we hang onto him.
Lactic_Flaccid liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option