Forums/Armchair-GM

Ducks 24-25 Offseason

Created by: mkhart
Team: 2024-25 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 11, 2024
Published: Mar. 13, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Lacombe to Minny is just to alleviate the backlog on the left side. He's proven he can play solid NHL defense, and is a Minnesota boy, so we're sending him home to a team that has a room on the left side and getting back a Swedish prospect with some upside but hasn't come to NA yet and is still a bit of a question mark. Could be a different team and return, or could trade Vaakanainen instead, but trying to avoid playing Fowler/Zell on their offhand.

Stamkos Signing could be another right handed winger. Reinhart, Toffoli, and Marchessault all fit the bill and could play in the top 6 - just depends how much money/term we want to give out. Stamkos would be a nice veteran fit with playoff experience and is a Killorn friend.

Pesce signing could be another RHD. Him, Roy and Tanev are the top 'defensive RHD' in the UFA class it seems. Unless the ducks go the trade route, I think one of those three are going to be the best options - kind of just depends what term/aav Verbeek is willing to drop.

I'd like to see a Yakemchuck pick, but could alternatively be Levshunov, but a young big RHD would be a good add in the 4-5 pick range they are likely to end up in. Sign them and give them an NHL tryout to see if they stick. Let Luneau cook in the AHL for a year or two similar to Zellweger.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$800,000
2$800,000
3$800,000
3$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,900,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,500,000
2$2,500,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$6,500,000
4$5,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Yakemchuk, Carter
3$925,000
Suchanek, Tomas
3$850,000
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$73,994,167$0$6,550,000$9,505,833

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,250,000$3M)
C
RFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW, C
UFA
$3,650,000$3,650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, LW
RFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, RW
RFA
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
RFA
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW
RFA
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$800,000$800K)
LD
RFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RD
UFA
$6,400,000$6,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$844,167$844,167
LD
RFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$812,500$812,500
G
RFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Yakemchuk, Carter
$925,000$925,000
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
RFA
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
UFA Winger Signing:
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 13 at 1:57 p.m.
I like Lacombe and eventually having him back in MN would be pretty cool, but we aren't trading for defensemen right now and especially not with one of our top 3 or 4 prospects.
mkhart liked this.
Mar. 13 at 2:18 p.m.
Quoting: SimonVenell
I like Lacombe and eventually having him back in MN would be pretty cool, but we aren't trading for defensemen right now and especially not with one of our top 3 or 4 prospects.

That's fair, that trade really was more about the Ducks alleviating a position this offseason where they have a backlog. I went with Minnesota for the homecoming factor and also because besides Brodin they don't have any LHD signed past next year and just guessed they might have some interest in a young NHL ready defensemen for above Meryll/Chishom in the depth chart. The return might've been too much though, so I'd get it being for a different player or with a different team entirely.
SimonVenell liked this.
Mar. 13 at 2:51 p.m.
Interesting trade idea. Trading Lacombe seems a little short-sighted imo, as he can be the perfect 3LHD once the Fowler contract is up and the Ducks are properly competing. However, Fowler still has 2 years after this one and a 4 team trade list. Ducks could buy him out, but I just don't see that being a realistic option with all he has done for the franchise. Depends how the team sees Tyson Hinds and whether or not he can move up in two years to replace Cam. I'm not sure what Pat will do on the backend, but I would at least consider trading Lacombe. Pat did mention that Luneau is likely to be a full timer next season, so if Ducks did draft a RHD, they would not make the team next year. Lindstrom and Vaaks would be 7/8, and I could see the Ducks keeping 8 Defensemen up to start next season. Pesce, Roy, or even Demelo if he makes it to FA would be ideal options if Lacombe is gone (contract dependent). Same with the top 6 winger, with both of those signings, term could be a killer, so no move might be the best move if Ducks cant get shorter term deals.
mkhart liked this.
Mar. 13 at 3:33 p.m.
Quoting: Lactic_Flaccid
Interesting trade idea. Trading Lacombe seems a little short-sighted imo, as he can be the perfect 3LHD once the Fowler contract is up and the Ducks are properly competing. However, Fowler still has 2 years after this one and a 4 team trade list. Ducks could buy him out, but I just don't see that being a realistic option with all he has done for the franchise. Depends how the team sees Tyson Hinds and whether or not he can move up in two years to replace Cam. I'm not sure what Pat will do on the backend, but I would at least consider trading Lacombe. Pat did mention that Luneau is likely to be a full timer next season, so if Ducks did draft a RHD, they would not make the team next year. Lindstrom and Vaaks would be 7/8, and I could see the Ducks keeping 8 Defensemen up to start next season. Pesce, Roy, or even Demelo if he makes it to FA would be ideal options if Lacombe is gone (contract dependent). Same with the top 6 winger, with both of those signings, term could be a killer, so no move might be the best move if Ducks cant get shorter term deals.

The way I saw it, Fowler will have 2 years left still and is unlikely to be traded. Between him, Minty, Zell, Lacombe, and Vaaks we have 5 defensemen for 3 slots. I think this season has shown having any of them play their off side negatively impacts their performance and healthy scratching Lacombe for 2 more years behind Minty/Zell/Fowler felt bad. Seemed like finding a trade partner to take Lacombe or Vaaks and having the other as a 7th defensemen felt palatable, and Lacombe probably nets the better trade return of the two where we can maybe get an upside winger. If we don't have a replacement for fowler in the pipeline when his contract is up finding a bottom pairing LHD defensemen at that time can be addressed with a short term free agency or another trade.

As far as the right side, I missed Verbeek saying Luneau has a spot next year. He has basically took this whole season off though because of his knee issue, so I wouldn't mind giving him AHL time just to start the year. If we draft Yakemchuck we could always give him a 9 game tryout and then send him back to play in World juniors by December and call up Luneau at that time. Obviously not necessary though, could make do with Lindstrom if necessary, and Fowler-Luneau is an awesome bottom pair if Verbeek sticks to his guns and Luneau is up the entire time next season.
Lactic_Flaccid liked this.
Mar. 13 at 4:13 p.m.
Quoting: mkhart
The way I saw it, Fowler will have 2 years left still and is unlikely to be traded. Between him, Minty, Zell, Lacombe, and Vaaks we have 5 defensemen for 3 slots. I think this season has shown having any of them play their off side negatively impacts their performance and healthy scratching Lacombe for 2 more years behind Minty/Zell/Fowler felt bad. Seemed like finding a trade partner to take Lacombe or Vaaks and having the other as a 7th defensemen felt palatable, and Lacombe probably nets the better trade return of the two where we can maybe get an upside winger. If we don't have a replacement for fowler in the pipeline when his contract is up finding a bottom pairing LHD defensemen at that time can be addressed with a short term free agency or another trade.

As far as the right side, I missed Verbeek saying Luneau has a spot next year. He has basically took this whole season off though because of his knee issue, so I wouldn't mind giving him AHL time just to start the year. If we draft Yakemchuck we could always give him a 9 game tryout and then send him back to play in World juniors by December and call up Luneau at that time. Obviously not necessary though, could make do with Lindstrom if necessary, and Fowler-Luneau is an awesome bottom pair if Verbeek sticks to his guns and Luneau is up the entire time next season.

I agree with pretty much all of that, and thinking about it now, 3LHD is a pretty easy position to fill in free agency or by trade, so I kind of agree that losing Lacombe wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I like his game, but we could probably afford someone who is more defensively focused in that slot (like Vaaks). That said, I think you can justify Vaaks as a 7th D, but Lacombe probably shouldnt be in that role, so he is kind of the odd one out. Now you've got me working on a ACGM centered around trading Lacombe.
mkhart liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit