Forums/Armchair-GM

Paying for 4 major pieces The Vegas way

Created by: MW6
Team: 2024-25 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 16, 2024
Published: Mar. 22, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
TOR- The fans won’t like trading away Marner, but may have to accept that tying up more then a 3rd of the cap space in 3 “all-offense” players isn’t the road to success. This deal balances the roster and the salary distribution, adds both skill, youth, quality depth and physicality while also freeing up cap space to go after both a partner for Rielly and a left winger for Nylander. McMichael can replace JT when he’s finished. Marner will be looking for a raise as well being a UFA after next season.

OTT - moving Chychrun seems like the logical move contractually wise. TVR is a chameleon that fits in every complementary role and brings some veteran stability to the D-core. WSH 2nd turns into a 1st if Chychrun re-signs, seeings as he’s a pending UFA which would basically re-acquire the assets they paid for Chychrun a year ago.

VAN - They have a lot of uncertainty on their back end going into next season. Can they afford both of Hroenek and Zadorov while remaining competitive up front? Replacing Hronek with Liljegren might be a slight L but the cap space saved might be a W in the grand scheme of things. Liljegren also have untapped potential that might come to light in a different environment. Hughes-Soucey, Zadorov-Liljegren, Cole-Poolman?

ANA - They seem committed to rolling McTavish and Carlsson as 1-2C which has put Zegras in the rumor mill. Iorio is rounding out to being a big 2-way RHD, Trinyev is a long shot to play in the NHL but has some nice offensive tools. 2 more high picks to keep adding pieces for when they’ll compete again.

CAPS POV - While the old guard is about to ride of into the sunset along with their expensive contracts, management is seeing that things are on the right path and decides to speed things up. In the next 2 years 36M is coming off with Ovechkin, Oshie, Backstrom, Kuznetsov and Carlsons contracts expiring which allows for them to re-sign Marner, Chychrun and Hronek
The reign will be passed to Marner, Strome, Zegras, Chychrun, Hroenek, Sandin, all of them in or entering their prime with a chance of having them locked up for the foreseeable future.
To complement them Caps have Leonard, Mirosnichenko, Lapierre, Cristall, Protas, Chesley and Stevenson to chase Lord Stanley’s Cup.

They’re sacrificing a lot of future pieces which is a gamble but like Vegas GM McCrimmon said: “We get the players we go after since we’re willing to pay the price.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
3$950,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$3,750,000
8$7,000,000
2$975,000
2$775,000
2$775,000
Trades
OTT
  1. van Riemsdyk, Trevor
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (COL)
  3. 2026 2nd round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
2026 2nd round pick turns into 2026 1st if Chychrun re-signs in Washington.
WSH
  1. Hronek, Filip [RFA Rights]
VAN
  1. Liljegren, Timothy
  2. 2024 1st round pick (WSH)
  3. 2024 3rd round pick (NYI)
ANA
  1. Iorio, Vincent
  2. Trineyev, Bogdan
  3. 2025 1st round pick (WSH)
  4. 2025 2nd round pick (BOS)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$89,556,333$2,252,500$1,195,000-$1,856,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 4
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$445,000$445K)
C
RFA - 1
$3,375,000$3,375,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 5
$975,000$975,000
C, LW
RFA
$775,000$775,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW
RFA
$775,000$775,000
C
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD
UFA - 5
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RD
RFA
$1,100,000$1,100,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,675,000$2,675,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$2,062,500$2,062,500
RD
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 23 at 5:47 a.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
When you have too many centers, you push them to the wing, not trade them out for a collection of downgrading assets. Anaheim still needs high ceiling forwards to round out the wings in the top 6, that'll be where Zegras goes. We've already got equivalent pieces to what's being offered in our prospect system, it's not like Pittsburgh where a quantity offer is appealing because our cupboard is baren, were stocked up.

As stated, in order for the caps to acquire Z, it'll take at least Leonard.

You’re not wrong, I guess. I mean, he certainly has the skills but winning isn’t only about having the most skilled players. If he can bring back pieces to Anaheim which makes them more likely to win I believe they’ll be open to it. This current season hasn’t exactly boost Zegras trade value either.
Mar. 23 at 5:54 a.m.
Quoting: cooliny
The Canucks gave up the 17th and a pick in the 40s for Hronek. In terms of value, this offer barely matches that. But from the moment we acquired him to now, his value has skyrocketed, so it’ll cost way more than this.

I’d be in talks to moving him if he were to ask for $8M+, but the pieces I’d be interested in are Fehervary, Leonard, 1st, or Liljegren (dependent on the TOR trade(.

In terms of value isn’t this offer higher than what Canucks gave up? And I think it’s fair to at least question how much he has improved personally and how much he’s been elevated by Hughes? He’s also due for a substantial payday which shouldn’t improve his trade value. And both the 1st (unprotected) and Liljegren were included, if you want to swap Liljegren for Fehervary that’s not an issue I figured you wanted a RHD to replace Hronek.
Mar. 23 at 5:57 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: MW6
You’re not wrong, I guess. I mean, he certainly has the skills but winning isn’t only about having the most skilled players. If he can bring back pieces to Anaheim which makes them more likely to win I believe they’ll be open to it. This current season hasn’t exactly boost Zegras trade value either.

He was fighting a groin injury for 15/20 games he's played this season and the two times he went on IR were not related to each other, so no, we wouldn't consider that to have diminished his trade value whatsoever, since everyone knows what he's capable of, and he has no prior injury history.

And again, we already have equivalent pieces in our system, multiple of them, so how are those pieces "helping us win"? Iorio is bottom 4 upside, we have Helleson and Warren and Luneau, not to mention the possibility of signing Ian Moore. You've said yourself Trying is a shot in the dark, and those picks don't yield top 6 players, the get you middle 6 if you're lucky.

It makes zero sense for Anaheim to take a quantity return in any hypothetical Zegras trade, it's a blue chip piece to base the trade around, or Zegras stays in Anaheim.
Mar. 23 at 8:59 a.m.
not even close to getting chych, OTT is NEVER going to take van Riemsdyk, Trevor as a center peice for a chych deal and 2 2nds dont entice at all, OTT declines easy
Mar. 23 at 11:12 a.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Gretzky, Messier, Lowe, Anderssen, Kurri, Coffey, Fuhr, Simpson, Tikkanen, Huddy, Smith, Krushelnyski, Napier, McSorley, Carson, all count as 2 players?

They are all either: HOFers, over a PPG or close to PPG during the dynasty years

My comment was more about poking fun at your claim the Leafs have 2 of the top 5 defensive all rounding players in the Nhl. When they say defense wins Champions (unless you are the "what is defense?" 1980s Dynasty Oilers) than MNM should have had more playoff victories then just 1 in 8 years.

Also half of the players on the Oilers you listed were players who got their stats enhanced by playing for Slather and with Gretzky.
Mar. 23 at 11:17 a.m.
He was fighting a groin injury for 15/20 games he's played this season and the two times he went on IR were not related to each other, so no, we wouldn't consider that to have diminished his trade value whatsoever, since everyone knows what he's capable of, and he has no prior injury history.

And again, we already have equivalent pieces in our system, multiple of them, so how are those pieces "helping us win"? Iorio is bottom 4 upside, we have Helleson and Warren and Luneau, not to mention the possibility of signing Ian Moore. You've said yourself Trying is a shot in the dark, and those picks don't yield top 6 players, the get you middle 6 if you're lucky.

It makes zero sense for Anaheim to take a quantity return in any hypothetical Zegras trade, it's a blue chip piece to base the trade around, or Zegras stays in Anaheim.

Ana has serious holes on their roster, now if the Ducks see McTavish and Carlsson as their 1-2 punch down the middle, Zegras is the trade bait. I guess it depends if the Duck like to see McTavish on LW.

Even than, I see Zegras as more of a "me" player than a "we" player.
Mar. 23 at 11:29 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Ana has serious holes on their roster, now if the Ducks see McTavish and Carlsson as their 1-2 punch down the middle, Zegras is the trade bait. I guess it depends if the Duck like to see McTavish on LW.

Even than, I see Zegras as more of a "me" player than a "we" player.

Our holes on the roster are top 6 RW, top pair RHD, and top 6 LW, i.e. Zegras, hea not trade bait, he'll just be moved to the wing, I cannot fathom how people don't grasp that on here, too many centers is NEVER a problem. Leshunov will resolve the top pair RHD issue on this years draft.

And your Me vs We perception is a baseless media driven narritive.
Mar. 23 at 11:45 a.m.
Our holes on the roster are top 6 RW, top pair RHD, and top 6 LW, i.e. Zegras, hea not trade bait, he'll just be moved to the wing, I cannot fathom how people don't grasp that on here, too many centers is NEVER a problem. Leshunov will resolve the top pair RHD issue on this years draft.

And your Me vs We perception is a baseless media driven narritive.

Just like "Me"lander on the Leafs was baseless media driven.

Right>?
Mar. 23 at 11:52 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
Just like "Me"lander on the Leafs was baseless media driven.

Right>?

What exactly if your problem with the two of them? That they held out for a contract?
Mar. 23 at 12:20 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Yet they can’t build a deep enough squad to legitimately challenge because of all money tied up into AM, MM & WN. I’m not hating on your players, I’m just trying identify a flawed roster construction and pointing to something I think would enhance both teams in different ways.

I get that... But attack something else, taking too much of the cap or maybe 2/3 not being better than 10 NHL players despite getting top 10 NHL salary...

Just don't attack them are something they are one of the best in the league at... It makes you look bad
Mar. 23 at 12:23 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
My comment was more about poking fun at your claim the Leafs have 2 of the top 5 defensive all rounding players in the Nhl. When they say defense wins Champions (unless you are the "what is defense?" 1980s Dynasty Oilers) than MNM should have had more playoff victories then just 1 in 8 years.

Also half of the players on the Oilers you listed were players who got their stats enhanced by playing for Slather and with Gretzky.

Most the players I named; are in the HOF...

And if it takes only 2; why did Gretzky and Robitaille not win a chip with LAK when they also received the luxury of Kurri and Coffey?

The truth is; you can't win with 2-4 players doing all the heavy lifting (as we've seen with Toronto/Edmonton these years)
Mar. 23 at 2:24 p.m.
I get that... But attack something else, taking too much of the cap or maybe 2/3 not being better than 10 NHL players despite getting top 10 NHL salary...

Just don't attack them are something they are one of the best in the league at... It makes you look bad

It was not an attack at you or them at all, or any attack at all for that matter? And forgive me if I’m maybe not getting my thoughts through, English is not my native language (i’m from Sweden).
I won’t argue with you about their all around play but I doubt that consensus is that AM and MM are “ 2 of the top 5 defensive all rounding players in the Nhl.”

What are your thoughts on the Leafs committing that kind of cap space to three players when the rest of the team is lacking in depth and all around quality?
Mar. 23 at 4:35 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
It was not an attack at you or them at all, or any attack at all for that matter? And forgive me if I’m maybe not getting my thoughts through, English is not my native language (i’m from Sweden).
I won’t argue with you about their all around play but I doubt that consensus is that AM and MM are “ 2 of the top 5 defensive all rounding players in the Nhl.”

What are your thoughts on the Leafs committing that kind of cap space to three players when the rest of the team is lacking in depth and all around quality?

Sweden, that seems like such a cool place to be from!

But the way you said "3 'all-offense' players", it sounds like none of them play defence or try to either... Personally, I would have gone with forwards, instead...

My thoughts are they should be looking to move off 1 of Nylander or Marner as, like you've stated, you can't have over 30 million dollars tied up in 3 players... I'd trade Marner for draft picks and prospects and use the cap space to resign Domi, Bert, Lilly and Benoit at that cap space

This then gives us 23 mill in cap space (assuming we move off of Timmins) to work with... Activate Jarny from LTIR and have Minten start the year next year to give 20 mill with 18 players on the roster, allowing you to go expensive for a Rielly pair and a cheaper Marner replacement (Could probably get Guentzel at 8 or could get Toffoli at 5 or could get Turbo at 6 or could get Tarasenko at 3.5, all these are estimates).

I'd then leverage our team and our analytics department to sign more risky players, using the ton of cap space I have and start calling Crosby/someone else about waiving their NMC to go to Toronto (using the Marner assets that I would not want to keep) in an attempt to load up for a 2025 run.

Then, I would resign all my guys as the JT contract comes off the books and Cowan should make the jump to run it back in 2026

I know this is a lot but if you are still reading this; thank you
Mar. 23 at 6:46 p.m.
Sweden, that seems like such a cool place to be from!

But the way you said "3 'all-offense' players", it sounds like none of them play defence or try to either... Personally, I would have gone with forwards, instead...

My thoughts are they should be looking to move off 1 of Nylander or Marner as, like you've stated, you can't have over 30 million dollars tied up in 3 players... I'd trade Marner for draft picks and prospects and use the cap space to resign Domi, Bert, Lilly and Benoit at that cap space

This then gives us 23 mill in cap space (assuming we move off of Timmins) to work with... Activate Jarny from LTIR and have Minten start the year next year to give 20 mill with 18 players on the roster, allowing you to go expensive for a Rielly pair and a cheaper Marner replacement (Could probably get Guentzel at 8 or could get Toffoli at 5 or could get Turbo at 6 or could get Tarasenko at 3.5, all these are estimates).

I'd then leverage our team and our analytics department to sign more risky players, using the ton of cap space I have and start calling Crosby/someone else about waiving their NMC to go to Toronto (using the Marner assets that I would not want to keep) in an attempt to load up for a 2025 run.

Then, I would resign all my guys as the JT contract comes off the books and Cowan should make the jump to run it back in 2026

I know this is a lot but if you are still reading this; thank you

No, thank you for taking the time to write back. Sweden has its ups and downs, but wouldn’t want to live anywhere else smile

Yeah, I hear you about that phrasing (without the context of all the swirling thoughts in my head as a backstory). I guess with all of them putting up those number of points it’s easy to unintentionally lump them up as all-offense.

I Iike your idea about the Leafs, Tavares contract coming off the books opens up some doors.
What pieces (sans Leonard) would you trade Marner for to the Caps? McMichael, 1st and what else?
Mar. 24 at 10:05 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
No, thank you for taking the time to write back. Sweden has its ups and downs, but wouldn’t want to live anywhere else smile

Yeah, I hear you about that phrasing (without the context of all the swirling thoughts in my head as a backstory). I guess with all of them putting up those number of points it’s easy to unintentionally lump them up as all-offense.

I Iike your idea about the Leafs, Tavares contract coming off the books opens up some doors.
What pieces (sans Leonard) would you trade Marner for to the Caps? McMichael, 1st and what else?

Happy to hear that about Sweden!

That is fair...

As for a Marner to WSH trade:
1. To maximize value, I'd have to assume Marner has an extension in place
2. Lilly isn't going to be a part of the deal as he's cheap and young RHD that produces offence... He's valuable to a cash strapped Leafs team
3. As I don't know the Caps system very well, I'm just going to use tiers and it's an estimate;
2 1sts+1 A tier prospect (with protection on both 1rsts to ensure Toronto doesn't get liek the 5th overall pick)+1 B tier prospect + 1 C tier prospect + 4rth or something as a sweetner, most likely 5th

Another option could be:
1st+3 2nds+ 3rd+ 1 A tier prospect+sweetner

It sounds like a lot, but this is also Mitch Marner for 9 years... And this is a rough estimate considering the Eichel trade and the Tkachuk trade values

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll