Created by: sharcuda22
Team: 2024-25 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 14, 2024
Published: Apr. 14, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Draft: (1)Celebrini, (8)Buium, (38) Letourneau, (42) Marques
Off-season trades:
1.) I just saw a coyotes ACGM do it, and if you can get extra picks for that sure, why not.
2.) Move one of our goalies for one with a bad contract, for more assets (in this one im dreaming a little bit because i dont think seattle parts with goyette but the Musty connection is fun)
3.) Seek a 2-3 year center cap dump to play 3C.
4.) Cap dump rebound candidate, rinse repeat.
UFA/RFA Signings:
1.) Smith will be the big question, and he has all the control. If I am the sharks I am trying to sign him. I dont think he has anything left to learn at NCAA level, and the skill level isnt high enough to force him to build NHL habits like a pro league would be (cut towards center of the net, dont take plays off in D-zone). However, he may want to return to win a Natty with Letourneau and Hagens, I do believe he would have to play the whole year without Leonard too who also has the option of turning pro.
2.) Kunin provides something this team lacks, if you can sign him for a few years at a reasonable AAV i dont see why we wouldnt bring him back.
3.) It is very tempting to sign a UFA D-man but I think stick it out one more year and let all three pairs get 20ish minutes a night. If Emberson can stay healthy and Muk plays as a NHL dman that injects a lot of size into our back end (hockey will never beat the homoerotic allegations). Muk also helps us out with our transition issues if he can figure it out, we can always play vlasic if he needs nights off too.
4.) Zadina, Addison, Coe all have arguments to stay for one more year, but I dont think they get qualified. Out of all of them Zadina prolly has the best chance, but I would prefer trying to swap them for some Bona fide veterans. Peterson is going back to Sweden and Maki has been too injury prone that I would prefer Cooley be our number 3
5.) Snag the DUKE from Tampa.
6.) After Musty’s 9 games call up Guschin.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$950,000
2$800,000
2$1,025,000
3$1,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,000,000
2$775,000
2$775,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Celebrini, Macklin
3$950,000
Buium, Zeev
3$950,000
Letourneau, Dean
3$950,000
Trades
SJS
  1. 2024 1st round pick (CGY)
CGY
  1. 2024 1st round pick (PIT)
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (SJS)
SJS
  1. Weber, Shea
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (ARI)
  3. 2024 3rd round pick (ARI)
ARI
SJS
  1. Copp, Andrew
  2. 2025 1st round pick (DET)
SJS
  1. Johansen, Ryan
  2. 2025 3rd round pick (PHI)
PHI
SJS
  1. Goodrow, Barclay
  2. 2025 1st round pick (NYR)
NYR
  1. 2025 3rd round pick (PHI)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,700,000$81,083,810$0$1,307,500$6,616,190
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RW
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW
RFA - 2
Celebrini, Macklin
$950,000$950,000
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$828,333$828,333 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$3,641,667$3,641,667
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
RFA
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW, C
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,025,000$1,025,000
RD
RFA
$2,350,000$2,350,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD
RFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$5,900,000$5,900,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
LD
RFA
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 14 at 12:50 p.m.
sharcuda22
Quoting: RazorSeider53
It doesn't check out value wise. You can keep telling yourself that 8 for 14 is the same as 11 for 27 though. tears of joy

Little tip on your pick value charts. Several of the people who made those charts used to grade the high end picks in the 10s or even hundreds of value. They moved to decimal grading because when people figured out that the charts are terribly inaccurate, being off by 4.2 points sounds a hell of a lot better than being off by 42 points.

I hate to tell about how statistics work, but models get better over time (generally). So, the readjusting of value doesnt mean the whole model is worthless, it just means if you have found a better way to account the variability of a given variable you should adjust, if you didn’t it would be unscientific.

Of course you cant use statistical modeling on its own to determine the value of these picks as it changes depending on organizational needs, and player preferences vs who is available which are difficult to account for. However as a basis for determining how often picks produce NHLers and standardizing that across years you can get an indication of a draft picks likelihood to produce an NHLer which is what the points system is telling you. I think the sharks yotes trade was with .5 of the values assigned with these tables. Finally how you apply these charts will also influence their ‘accuracy’. For example in last years draft there was a clear divide between the top 4 picks and the rest in terms of value, whereas this one is Celebrini then a group of 8ish players around the same tier followed be a group of 10-12 in the same ish tier. So this draft appears to be a draft where if you dont get your guy in a given tier, there isn’t necessarily a sharp decline in quality with every pick.

You also left off the value added with other pieces of the deals to suit your own argument which is fine. But 8 for 14+33 is very close to 11 for 27+34+41 or whatever the picks were.
Apr. 14 at 12:52 p.m.
Quoting: sharcuda22
I hate to tell about how statistics work, but models get better over time (generally). So, the readjusting of value doesnt mean the whole model is worthless, it just means if you have found a better way to account the variability of a given variable you should adjust, if you didn’t it would be unscientific.

Of course you cant use statistical modeling on its own to determine the value of these picks as it changes depending on organizational needs, and player preferences vs who is available which are difficult to account for. However as a basis for determining how often picks produce NHLers and standardizing that across years you can get an indication of a draft picks likelihood to produce an NHLer which is what the points system is telling you. I think the sharks yotes trade was with .5 of the values assigned with these tables. Finally how you apply these charts will also influence their ‘accuracy’. For example in last years draft there was a clear divide between the top 4 picks and the rest in terms of value, whereas this one is Celebrini then a group of 8ish players around the same tier followed be a group of 10-12 in the same ish tier. So this draft appears to be a draft where if you dont get your guy in a given tier, there isn’t necessarily a sharp decline in quality with every pick.

You also left off the value added with other pieces of the deals to suit your own argument which is fine. But 8 for 14+33 is very close to 11 for 27+34+41 or whatever the picks were.

I hate to tell you how trades work, but a 2nd doesn't get you from 14 to 8.

Read that a couple times and maybe it'll sink in.
Apr. 14 at 12:53 p.m.
sharcuda22
Quoting: Lancebmx
I wouldn't say quite yet. We need a few more prospects to actually make it first. We only have 2.5 of Yzerman's picks on the team, that is not enough. Edvinsson is the 0.5 cause hes still fresh on the team. Once we get guys like Danielson, Kasper, Wallinder and Cossa on the team, then we could look at being buyers. But until we know what we got, we should be patient still. Doesn't mean we can't try to improve the team but being "ultra aggressive" likely isn't the best approach.

Makes sense! Hopefully edvinsson can give seider a bit of a break in terms of responsibility too, I think he’s so excellent. Is there any of those guys who might make the team next year?
Apr. 14 at 12:58 p.m.
sharcuda22
I hate to tell you how trades work, but a 2nd doesn't get you from 14 to 8.

Read that a couple times and maybe it'll sink in.

It definitely could if you had the right partner. Sharks 2nd is 33rd, which is comparable to a late first, unless you think there is a large talent difference between 32 and 33 in this years draft which I do not see. I agree that in general a second doesnt get you from 14 to 8-11 but 33rd or 34th could definitely do the trick.
Apr. 14 at 1:01 p.m.
Makes sense! Hopefully edvinsson can give seider a bit of a break in terms of responsibility too, I think he’s so excellent. Is there any of those guys who might make the team next year?

I could see one of Kasper or Danielson, I don't think both do. Danielson looked great in preseason last year, many felt like he should have got an extended look. He is also eligible to play in the AHL so I expect he starts there. Wallinder likely another year in AHL. Albert Johansson has a realistic shot of being on the team, he seems ready and also loses his waiver eligibility. Cossa I could see one more year as a starter in Grand Rapids. He had similar numbers to Wallstedt and Askarov for most of the year, not sure where they all ended at.
sharcuda22 liked this.
Apr. 14 at 1:03 p.m.
It definitely could if you had the right partner. Sharks 2nd is 33rd, which is comparable to a late first, unless you think there is a large talent difference between 32 and 33 in this years draft which I do not see. I agree that in general a second doesnt get you from 14 to 8-11 but 33rd or 34th could definitely do the trick.

It literally. Doesn't. Happen. tears of joy

Last pick swap in the Top 10 was 16 years ago. NYI did it twice. The second was 7 for 9 and they picked up a 2nd out of it. To drop 2 spots.
Apr. 14 at 1:07 p.m.

I think that would depend on how the draft went and which team likes which players. Speculating on that is so hard cause no one knows which players each team is targeting. If a team likes all the players between 8-14 fairly evenly then it could be an easy trade. If they feel like #8 is substantially better than what they get at around #14 then in my eyes that makes it much more difficult. I think it 100% depends on the first 7 picks, if someone they expected to go top 5 slips to 8, then how do you trade that pick? You just need 1 team to take what might be considered a reach, Arizona last year with Simashev and But is a perfect example. They liked those players so they took them even though most draft boards had them going slightly later in the draft.
sharcuda22 liked this.
Apr. 14 at 1:21 p.m.
sharcuda22
It literally. Doesn't. Happen. tears of joy

Last pick swap in the Top 10 was 16 years ago. NYI did it twice. The second was 7 for 9 and they picked up a 2nd out of it. To drop 2 spots.

This is a theoretical ACGM, soooooo I dont really care about the past NHL trades. We all know how boring 31 NHL GM’s are, and the NHL would be a better product if more and bigger trades happened and smaller contracts were handed out. If we only posted things we were reasonably certain would happen then this particular feature wouldnt have much value.

Also this is missing a lot of context, but you seem to love to leave that out. 7 for 9+40, and 5 for 7+37+68. I also dont have context about how the draft was perceived at the time. Did the teams trading just realllllly like the players they wanted? Was there a clear top 5,8,10? Analytics have also improved considerably since 2008 and there is a bigger emphasis on development paths and patterns in today’s NHL front offices, but no clear indication how this has affected the perceived value of draft picks overtime.

So a second can move you up in the first round, and the sharks currently hold the most valuable second rounder in the draft. There is a top 1 and then IMO a clear 2-11 although the order is murky. So it will depend on who likes what guys and where ‘the murmurs’ say they’ll go. Depending on where the penguins pick lands and where Zeev might still be on the board they may not need to get to 8 or may have a more valuable pick than 14. This was just where about the current value of placement of picks ended up landing at this moment in time.
Apr. 14 at 1:22 p.m.
This is a theoretical ACGM, soooooo I dont really care about the past NHL trades. We all know how boring 31 NHL GM’s are, and the NHL would be a better product if more and bigger trades happened and smaller contracts were handed out. If we only posted things we were reasonably certain would happen then this particular feature wouldnt have much value.

Also this is missing a lot of context, but you seem to love to leave that out. 7 for 9+40, and 5 for 7+37+68. I also dont have context about how the draft was perceived at the time. Did the teams trading just realllllly like the players they wanted? Was there a clear top 5,8,10? Analytics have also improved considerably since 2008 and there is a bigger emphasis on development paths and patterns in today’s NHL front offices, but no clear indication how this has affected the perceived value of draft picks overtime.

So a second can move you up in the first round, and the sharks currently hold the most valuable second rounder in the draft. There is a top 1 and then IMO a clear 2-11 although the order is murky. So it will depend on who likes what guys and where ‘the murmurs’ say they’ll go. Depending on where the penguins pick lands and where Zeev might still be on the board they may not need to get to 8 or may have a more valuable pick than 14. This was just where about the current value of placement of picks ended up landing at this moment in time.

"I really don't care if it makes sense!"

tears of joy
Apr. 14 at 1:23 p.m.
sharcuda22
Quoting: Lancebmx
I think that would depend on how the draft went and which team likes which players. Speculating on that is so hard cause no one knows which players each team is targeting. If a team likes all the players between 8-14 fairly evenly then it could be an easy trade. If they feel like #8 is substantially better than what they get at around #14 then in my eyes that makes it much more difficult. I think it 100% depends on the first 7 picks, if someone they expected to go top 5 slips to 8, then how do you trade that pick? You just need 1 team to take what might be considered a reach, Arizona last year with Simashev and But is a perfect example. They liked those players so they took them even though most draft boards had them going slightly later in the draft.

Yes exactly this is what im trying to communicate! There is so much context that influences all of this. All i did for this was look at where the value between the pens first and our second currently landed and did that. I didn’t expect to have to explain the value of statistical analysis + how to fill in its shortfalls. But this type of theoretical move is exactly what the ACGM should be used for IMO
Apr. 14 at 1:24 p.m.
sharcuda22
"I really don't care if it makes sense!"

tears of joy

When you put quotes you aren’t supposed to change the words u silly goose. You, in essence, have just quoted yourself since those are your words not mine.
Apr. 14 at 2:05 p.m.
When you put quotes you aren’t supposed to change the words u silly goose. You, in essence, have just quoted yourself since those are your words not mine.

When this is your best rebuttal because that’s the gist of what you said, and you know it. 😂
Apr. 14 at 2:11 p.m.
Buffbry
I agree with you on the value of Sturm for sure, the first is more about dumping Copp and covering the cost of Sturm. Copp has a MNTC not a no trade clause, that being said a bottom feed is prolly on his list as well as the Canadian teams. I think JGP from the islanders is another candidate.

I wasn't arguing the cost to be clear i think its actually reasonable pending say a top 10 protected pick. Since he's from Michigan, I just don't see him waiver to a rebuilding team was all I was saying, wasn't being disrespectful at all
sharcuda22 liked this.
Apr. 14 at 2:20 p.m.
sharcuda22
Quoting: buffbry
I wasn't arguing the cost to be clear i think its actually reasonable pending say a top 10 protected pick. Since he's from Michigan, I just don't see him waiver to a rebuilding team was all I was saying, wasn't being disrespectful at all

Yeah! It was a good point, I didn’t take offense i think i just misinterpreted your wording my apologies!
buffbry liked this.
Apr. 14 at 2:22 p.m.
sharcuda22
When this is your best rebuttal because that’s the gist of what you said, and you know it. 😂

Uh no it wasnt. I said i dont care about what happened in the past. The NHL is completely different now from 16 years ago so it has no bearing on this topic of discussion. You interpreted “i dont really care about the past NHL trades” as i dont care what makes sense. So im still not sure what your point is -_-
Apr. 14 at 2:28 p.m.
Uh no it wasnt. I said i dont care about what happened in the past. The NHL is completely different now from 16 years ago so it has no bearing on this topic of discussion. You interpreted “i dont really care about the past NHL trades” as i dont care what makes sense. So im still not sure what your point is -_-

You’re right, it is different. 16 years ago we got multiple pick swaps in the top 10. Today, we don’t get them at all. 😂

Do continue shoving your own foot down your throat.
Apr. 14 at 2:42 p.m.
sharcuda22
You’re right, it is different. 16 years ago we got multiple pick swaps in the top 10. Today, we don’t get them at all. 😂

Do continue shoving your own foot down your throat.

This is an ACGM, and this is theoretical proposal. This is not the NHL it is a made up website with a feature dedicated specifically to exploring things that may not and likely wont happen in the real world because, as armchair dm’s we have a very limited amount of information compared to the people making these decisions. I have never claimed this will happen or what the likelihood of such a trade is, only that if it were to happen the value is about right. I have also stated from the beginning this isn’t necessarily about moving 8-14 specifically, only that in this current time with these currently being the value of where the picks are currently at. We cant know how each teams value any given player in the draft which is ultimately what the movement of draft picks at the draft is about.

Additionally, just because something hasn’t happened in 16 years doesnt mean it wont happen again. I do not know why critical thinking makes you so salty, you are perhaps the silliest of geese
Apr. 14 at 2:47 p.m.
This is an ACGM, and this is theoretical proposal. This is not the NHL it is a made up website with a feature dedicated specifically to exploring things that may not and likely wont happen in the real world because, as armchair dm’s we have a very limited amount of information compared to the people making these decisions. I have never claimed this will happen or what the likelihood of such a trade is, only that if it were to happen the value is about right. I have also stated from the beginning this isn’t necessarily about moving 8-14 specifically, only that in this current time with these currently being the value of where the picks are currently at. We cant know how each teams value any given player in the draft which is ultimately what the movement of draft picks at the draft is about.

Additionally, just because something hasn’t happened in 16 years doesnt mean it wont happen again. I do not know why critical thinking makes you so salty, you are perhaps the silliest of geese

“If it were to happen the value is about right.”

Yes, based on your pick value charts that have been proven inaccurate time and again.

Not based on actual trades, of which you can’t cite any evidence to suggest it’s even close to proper value.

Not sure how that continues to escape you.
Apr. 14 at 3:02 p.m.
Surprised nobody else has commented on this, I really question the Weber trade. He's on IR and would be on LTIR if they needed the space since he's not playing again, and his actual salary is only 1M per year. Why are they paying an early 2nd and 3rd to get out of that?
Apr. 14 at 3:23 p.m.
sharcuda22
Quoting: jamnjon
Surprised nobody else has commented on this, I really question the Weber trade. He's on IR and would be on LTIR if they needed the space since he's not playing again, and his actual salary is only 1M per year. Why are they paying an early 2nd and 3rd to get out of that?

I have no idea! I saw it on someone who made a coyotes ACGM
Apr. 14 at 3:27 p.m.
sharcuda22
“If it were to happen the value is about right.”

Yes, based on your pick value charts that have been proven inaccurate time and again.

Not based on actual trades, of which you can’t cite any evidence to suggest it’s even close to proper value.

Not sure how that continues to escape you.

Sharks 2021 trade that I have already mentioned. Both uses the model of trading up or down in the first round using 2nd round pick(s) and is extremely closely aligned with the athletic’s draft pick value chart. 11 - > 27 and got two early seconds to move back 16 spots, and was with in .5-1 pts of the value chart. So, not a reach to say trading back 6 instead of 16 spots = 33rd pick. Not that i am even suggesting that would be the exact trade. Not surprised you missed that given how selective your reading is.

Not sure how that continues to escape you
Apr. 14 at 3:36 p.m.
Sharks 2021 trade that I have already mentioned. Both uses the model of trading up or down in the first round using 2nd round pick(s) and is extremely closely aligned with the athletic’s draft pick value chart. 11 - > 27 and got two early seconds to move back 16 spots, and was with in .5-1 pts of the value chart. So, not a reach to say trading back 6 instead of 16 spots = 33rd pick. Not that i am even suggesting that would be the exact trade. Not surprised you missed that given how selective your reading is.

Not sure how that continues to escape you

Sharks trade in 2021 is not remotely close to what you’re asking. Try again.
Apr. 14 at 3:38 p.m.
sharcuda22
Sharks trade in 2021 is not remotely close to what you’re asking. Try again.

You’re right trying to trade up into the range Zeev is projected to go (8-11) is not the same as *checks notes* trading for 11

*Edit cuz of that assist in the Natty he could go higher. Whew what a passs
Apr. 14 at 4:04 p.m.
You’re right trying to trade up into the range Zeev is projected to go (8-11) is not the same as *checks notes* trading for 11

*Edit cuz of that assist in the Natty he could go higher. Whew what a passs

No. Trying to trade 14 for 8 is not trying to trade 27 for 11. I know numbers are hard for you, but these are not remotely close lol.
Apr. 14 at 4:15 p.m.
sharcuda22
No. Trying to trade 14 for 8 is not trying to trade 27 for 11. I know numbers are hard for you, but these are not remotely close lol.

If you could read, you might understand, referencing one of multiple times I’ve made this point. The point is not that it is 8 for 14. It is that we should use the pens pick plus our second to move up somewhere in the range of where Zeev will fall. That has been projected to be 8-11 ish. I referenced a model that has recently been pretty accurate, and has one of the more prominent hock stats guys in Dom behind it (2021 Sharks Coyotes trade).

And im not sure that is making the point you want it too anyways. There is a bigger bridge to be gapped between 11-27 and a larger fall off in quality (generally) than from 8-14 (generally).
Are you trying to tell me that 8 and 11 are not remotely close? Or that the gap between 14 and 8 (6) is bigger than 11 and 27 (16). Or that the gap in quality of player between 14 and 8 is larger than 27 and 11?

11 for 27,34,45 is comparable to 8 for 14 and 33. You’re moving ten less spaces up so you take off one mid second essentially, you could even add the devils second for it but that would be an overpay.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll