SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

2 Round Mock Draft with Explanations 1.0

2 Round Mock Draft with Explanations 1.0

Draft Class: 2024
Created By: BluesReport18
Published: Apr. 21 at 1:37 p.m.
Description
I wanted to do a mock draft before the WJC start so here it is. Hopefully you guys enjoy the read.

If you don't like the player your team picked let me know why and who you would have preferred.

For those following the draft more closely, who are your favorite prospects so far or a prospect that you find underrated?

Also, let me know if I accidentally left someone off the list there were a ton of names to go through.
Lottery Winners:
  1. Logo of the San Jose SharksSan Jose Sharks (1→1)
  2. Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksChicago Blackhawks (2→2)
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Obvious pick
2Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Chicago has a TON of LHD prospects but really lacks that top RHD prospect. They get that here. Apparently they are high on Dickinson but I would be really surprised if they took another LHD.
3Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Anaheim could really use a RHD in this draft but I don't think they reach on either Parekh or Yakemchuk at this pick. Demidov would make an already great young forward core for Anaheim even better.
4Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Columbus has pretty much everything you could want prospect wise. So here they take a player with some of the biggest upside in the draft and hope he ends up as their 2C behind Fantilli.
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Catton is a perfect fit for Montreal and would be a great fit behind Suzuki. Hopefully teams won't be stupid and let Catton fall because of his size like they did with Benson last year.
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Arizona, now Utah, loves their big players and they get a freakishly big defender here. In my rankings Silayev has the highest upside of any player in this draft.
7Logo of the Ottawa Senators-I personally am not a fan of Parekh but he does have electric offensive ability and Ottawa desperately needs a RHD. Parekh and Sanderson could form a deadly combo.
8Logo of the Seattle Kraken-I compare Buium to Vince Dunn so it's fitting that he ends up here. Buium has had an incredible season in the NCAA and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he goes higher than this.
9Logo of the Calgary Flames-I know I know everyone is going to say if Iginla is here the Flames won't pass on him but what's more valuable a top 4 winger or a top 4 dman. Dickinson is one of the more NHL ready players in this draft and will likely end up as a Hanifin like player, and the Flames just opened up a Hanifin sized gap on their defense.
10Logo of the New Jersey Devils-I thought about taking Yakemchuk here but with Hamiltons contract running for another 4 years and Nemec emerging as a potential star, New Jersey really doesn't have a need for a dman. Here, they get some sandpaper for their lineup and add a player who will show up in big moments and plays hard. Nygard would be a great compliment for the more skilled players in New Jersey.
11Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Buffalo does NOT need any more forward prospects. They do need a future top 4 RHD so they go with the best one available.
12Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-The flyers are happy that Iginla dropped to them. I question Iginlas work ethic at times and a lot of times I've seen him play he's floating, but other times he shows amazing skill. It also could've just been a bad few games that I saw.
13Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Chernyshov is a jack of all trades, master of none type player. He does everything good to very good but isn't great in one area. He's one of the more complete players in this draft and one of my favorites. I think he would fit in great with Minnesota.
14Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsI am not a fan of Eiserman but he does have an undeniable scoring talent. He could easily be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL if he wants to. San Jose can afford to take a risk on him and bet on his massive upside.
15Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-A perfect Yzerman pick and Helenius would be a great pickup for Detroit here. One note, I wouldn't be surprised if Helenius moves to the wing in the future.
16Logo of the Washington Capitals-St. Louis - The Blues need to go RHD here. I am more high on Elick than I am on Jiricek and I think others will become higher on Elick after he participates in the WJC tournament soon.
17Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Washington - A nice blend of size and strength and would be a perfect compliment for Cristall in the future.
18Logo of the New York Islanders-The Islanders get their long term 2C.
19Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-I feel like Freij is another player who will move up after the WJC and seems like a nice pick for Vegas. Whoever Vegas takes will likely be traded anyway.
20Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningConnelly will likely slip on draft day due to off ice issues and size concerns. Does Chicago take him with those off ice concerns, probably not but the idea of Bedard and Connelly together is too good to pass up. I also believe his off ice concerns have been addressed.
21Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-LA keeps on drafting centers, it's worked out well for them so far.
22Logo of the Nashville Predators-Jiricek came into the year as a top 10 pick but lots of injuries and poor play will drop him. All it takes is one team to take a chance on him though. Jiricek needs to add a lot of weight and that will solve most of his problems.
23Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-Toronto gets a speedy winger on a slight reach.
24Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Edmonton OilersThe Ducks get their future Gudas replacement.
25Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Colorado gets one of the better defensive players in this draft and also one of the better skaters. This pick could turn into a steal.
26Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Boston BruinsParascak will fall the same way Heidt fell last year. I think Ottawa puts an end to that fall.
27Logo of the Calgary FlamesLogo of the Vancouver CanucksHemming is a very good complimentary player. I don't think he will ever be great but he could be a solid middle 6 option.
28Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Florida PanthersKiviharju has a ton of potential and the Flyers can't afford to pass that up. His injury history and size are major concerns but the Flyers can afford to take the risk with their extra picks.
29Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Winnipeg JetsOne of the better playmakers in this draft and putting up great production in the KHL, Montreal gets a steal here.
30Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Seems like a Carolina pick. One of the better puck moving dmen in the draft.
31Logo of the Dallas Stars-Solid bottom 6, defensive center in the future.
32Logo of the New York Rangers-A great defensive player with a questionable offensive ceiling.
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
33Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Really underrated player here. San Jose gets a future top 4 RHD.
34Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Chicago gets a great puck mover and top PP quarterback in the future.
35Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Anaheim replaces the loss of Drysdale with Mews.
36Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Columbus Blue JacketsOne of the more NHL ready prospects as an overager, Philly probably gets another steal here.
37Logo of the Winnipeg JetsLogo of the Montreal CanadiensOne of my favorite players in the draft, I think Shuravin falls because of his poor production but he has the talent to be a really great player.
38Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Big power forward that will likely be overdrafted.
39Logo of the Ottawa Senators-One of the better players in the USHL and he should develop nicely going to Michigan.
40Logo of the Seattle Kraken-Howe performed better with Bedard but I still think he has the makings of a future middle 6 center, likely on the 3rd line. He could slot in behind Wright and Beniers
41Logo of the Calgary Flames-A rare blend of size, speed, and skill, Fischer has all the traits of a top 4 defender and just needs to put them together.
42Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsThe sharks get a really versatile forward here who can pretty much do a bit of everything.
43Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Buffalo doubles down on RHD.
44Logo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsLogo of the Philadelphia FlyersNeeds to improve a lot especially his strength and skating but he could be a future top 6 player. High upside pick.
45Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Big RHD with a lot of potential. He's already really solid defensively and his offensive game continues to get better.
46Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-A really solid all around player with a high floor.
47Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-How cool would it be for Detroit to have another Zetterberg.
48Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Washington Capitals
Dean Letourneau
An absolutely massive Center who has equally massive upside goes to Utah here. I haven't seen Dean play but from what I've heard he is very much a boom or bust prospect.
49Logo of the St. Louis Blues-The Blues get one of the better defensive dmen in this draft. Ideally Skahan could play with Parayko in a few years when he is ready to join the team or he could form an amazing pair with Elick.
50Logo of the New York Islanders-A true power forward who could become even scarier as he develops. At least a bottom 6 player with the potential for more.
51Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Underrated RHD who has a solid defensive game and is developing well offensively.
52Logo of the Washington CapitalsLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
Noel Fransen
Another really underrated dman who will likely move up draft boards after the WJC.
53Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
Marek Vanacker
A really solid 2 way winger who isn't afraid to get physical. If he can put on some more weight he could be a legit option in a teams middle 6.
54Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Los Angeles KingsKleber has the ideal size and hand combo that Chicago will look for. Him and the Levshunov pick solidify the future right side of Chicago defense.
55Logo of the Nashville Predators-Really high upside RHD, but at the same time has a really low floor. Seems like a pick Trotz would make.
56Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsThe Blues get a bulldog here. Surin reminds me a lot of Barbashev. He would provide the Blues with a great 3C behind Thomas and Dvorsky.
57Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-Solid middle 6 center potential.
58Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Colorado AvalancheGood defensive center in the mold of Backlund.
59Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsAnother player who's better at defense than offense.
60Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Vancouver CanucksA player that really pops when I watch him and I think is underrated. Humphreys is a solid playmaker and jack of all trades type player. His production is concerning though.
61Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Florida PanthersI'm really not a fan of Ritchie from what I've seen but a lot of people have him in the first round so the Utah goes BPA
62Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Winnipeg JetsSolid bottom 6 center option in the future.
63Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Solid 2 way RHD with upside.
64Logo of the Calgary FlamesLogo of the Dallas StarsPotential middle 6 center in the future. Needs to add strength and improve his shot.
65Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the New York Rangers
Ondrej Becher
Seattle has had great success with overagers in the pass and they go with one of the best in this draft.
Apr. 21 at 5:03 p.m.
R.I.P Yotes
This has to be almost worst case scenario for the Flames. Lindstrom and Catton both go just before all the teams that need D men. That leaves us with a D man that is very good, but not a need. Worst case scenario is Iginla going before us too.
Apr. 22 at 12:54 a.m.
Waddley1234
With the move to utah are they also changing their front office? if so it'll interesting to see how they change their style
Apr. 22 at 2:12 a.m.
I watched Ritchie a few games in the playoffs, he didn't impress me very much. Didn't really notice him out there and even playing a very good team, I expected more from what was expected to be a first round talent.
I don't mind the Detroit pick. I'm at a toss up between a bunch of players around that spot. Ideally would love Catton but no way does he get to us.
Apr. 22 at 1:20 p.m.
Quoting: MyTeamsSuck
This has to be almost worst case scenario for the Flames. Lindstrom and Catton both go just before all the teams that need D men. That leaves us with a D man that is very good, but not a need. Worst case scenario is Iginla going before us too.

Losing out on Catton would suck but at the same time if Dickinson falls to Calgary he's simply too good to pass up and I think they would be happy with that pick. I still wouldn't be surprised if they took Iginla over Dickinson in this scenario but I think that would be a mistake.
Apr. 22 at 1:20 p.m.
Quoting: Waddley1234
With the move to utah are they also changing their front office? if so it'll interesting to see how they change their style

They're keeping the same front office for now which is smart.
Waddley1234 liked this.
Apr. 22 at 1:22 p.m.
Quoting: Lancebmx
I watched Ritchie a few games in the playoffs, he didn't impress me very much. Didn't really notice him out there and even playing a very good team, I expected more from what was expected to be a first round talent.
I don't mind the Detroit pick. I'm at a toss up between a bunch of players around that spot. Ideally would love Catton but no way does he get to us.

I agree I just don't see anything overall that impresses me when it comes to Ritchie. I won't have him ranked in my top 64 unless something big changes.

Catton would be perfect for Detroit but I would be shocked if he fell that far. Then again, it happens every year with small guys and teams never learn, just look at Benson.
Apr. 24 at 6:31 p.m.
i dont think you understand what show up mean but okay. Plus Devils wont pass on Tij who is literally the same player you described, Sorry im not taking the dude over greentreemTij or even taking a risky with Eiserman and Heneluis.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll