Forums/Armchair-GM

The Slafkovsky extension conversation

Created by: Blazingbat11
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: May 7, 2024
Published: May 7, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is genuinely an interesting topic of conversation. Slafkovsky is eligible for a contract extension this summer. Seeing his current trajectory, he is easily lining himself to be the highest paid forward of the future for MTL (unless Habs can get Celebrini!).

With MTLs current salary structure (of no one being paid more than Suzuki), It would be in Gorton and Hughes' best interest to try and lock up Slaf to a similar 8-year extension at $7.85mil aav. Is that A LOT to give Slaf right now? Absolutely... but the same could be said for Suzuki when he first signed his contract extension. The first year or two might look like a bit of an overpayment, but if Habs management are confident in Slafkovsky's potential, in would become a bargain contract (and probably during MTLs "window" to start competing, so there would be even more importance on having bargain contracts). This would be the riskiest scenario however, since if Slafkovsky regresses... Habs would have another anchor contract for a middle 6 forward (worst case scenario)...ouff

On the other end, if Slaf wants to maximize his $$$, it would probably be in his best interest to wait until his ELC expires to start negotiating an extension (in 2025). He'd be betting on himself to have an even better season in 2024-2025 (after this past Christmas, Slaf was essentially on a point per game pace...) and try to break the bank then.

The middle ground is Slafkovsky signing a bridge deal (probably around $5mil aav for 2 years). But again, this could be the costliest scenario for MTL, as best-case scenario (for Slaf?) is he achieves his full potential (essentially becoming another Rantanen type player), and will command a HUGE contract extension in 2027 probably upwards of $12-13mil aav (not that it would be that bad for MTL, because they'd have a Rantanen type player on their roster, but they'd be paying him at at least market value) ...

So:

Option 1 - Slafkovsky signs an 8 year extension at $7.85mil aav this summer. (Keeps MTLs current salary structure)

Option 2 - Slafkovsky waits (bets on himself) and only signs an extension (or bridge deal) and the end of his ELC in 2025.

Option 3 - Slafkovsky signs a bridge deal this summer around $5mil aav for 2 years. (middle ground option)

Personally, I'm willing to risk it for the biscuit and commit to Option 1. Give him the 8 years. It takes him until 29 years old (still time for another 7-8 year extension at that age), and Habs have a chance at a bargain contract during Slafs prime years AND MTLs projected "window" to start competing.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Celebrini, Macklin
3$950,000
Trades
MTL
  1. 2024 3rd round pick (COL)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,000,000$70,836,250$1,022,500$4,750,000$16,163,750

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
Celebrini, Macklin
$950,000$950,000
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$886,667$886,667
RW, C
RFA - 3
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$853,333$853,333 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
C
RFA - 3
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
RFA
$875,000$875,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 7 at 2:06 p.m.
I don't like thinking that way but nowadays you can almost and I say almost here, see who's a team player and who's not by their contract. If a player take a "team friendly" 8 years to be there and win, I see him as a team player. On the other side, when a player takes a bridge deal to maximise his earnings, I don't think it's in the best interest of the team. I'm not saying ALL players that take bridge deals are selfish (maybe it's because of injuries of stuff like this), but if in this case you see your captain and your little dwarf friend signing for 8 years each at an AAV less than 8M, I don't see why you don't follow the lead and continu the way it is right now. Slaf looks like he'll be one heck of a player and for the 2nd half as you said, was point per game. I sure hope he takes the 8 years 7.85 AAV and develop in the big all-star powerforward that we want
Lafleur10 liked this.
May 7 at 2:08 p.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
Mesar barely dominated in the ohl, no chance he is ready to make the jump this coming season let alone play on the 2ND line
May 7 at 3:17 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: BigBadBurke
Mesar barely dominated in the ohl, no chance he is ready to make the jump this coming season let alone play on the 2ND line

Well this is a dream scenario... Celebrini is the #1C lol Mesar imo is very much a Top6 forward or bust type player, and I'm mostly playing off of the Slaf connection with their chemistry together.

Assessing Mesar's time in the OHL is complicated. I watched a lot of Kitchener games this year, and Mesar was utilized all over the place (at Wing and Center). Stat watchers will just look at his overall numbers and say he was meh, but it's really not an honest look at his game.

You can really break down Mesar's last season in two. Before he left for the World Juniors, and after he came back. Before the World Juniors, Mesar played Wing on the first line and was dominant playing with Rehkopf (who also alternated Wing and Center throughout the year...) After the World Juniors, Kitchener acquired Eduard Sale, Seattle's 1st rd prospect. (and that ended up being a horrible trade, Sale was poo poo garbage the whole season up until the playoffs when he finally stepped up). Mesar was moved to Center and took on more defensive responsibilities (he even started playing the PK). He also had no chemistry with Sale (no one did...). So his productivity took a major hit.
But in the end, once the playoffs came around and it mattered most, Mesar was the Rangers most used two-way forward and was a playmaking machine.

I think if Kitchener solved their Center depth, instead of spending literally 2 players and 9 draft picks for Sale (CHL trades are stupid), Mesar could have been kept on the wing, gotten more consistency, and probably would've finished with 80-90 pts this season. Add the fact Mesar has literally stepped up every time there was better competition (playoffs and World Juniors), I think he's very much slept on by Habs fans.

Should Mesar start in Laval next year? yes 100%. I still don't see him as a two-way guy in the pros, so if he can develop that aspect in the AHL that would be great. But if he can continue his chemistry with Slaf, I can see a Tomas Tatar type player (who doesn't disappear in the playoffs) for MTL.
May 7 at 5:30 p.m.
PittsburghModelMyAss
Quoting: Blazingbat11
Well this is a dream scenario... Celebrini is the #1C lol Mesar imo is very much a Top6 forward or bust type player, and I'm mostly playing off of the Slaf connection with their chemistry together.

Assessing Mesar's time in the OHL is complicated. I watched a lot of Kitchener games this year, and Mesar was utilized all over the place (at Wing and Center). Stat watchers will just look at his overall numbers and say he was meh, but it's really not an honest look at his game.

You can really break down Mesar's last season in two. Before he left for the World Juniors, and after he came back. Before the World Juniors, Mesar played Wing on the first line and was dominant playing with Rehkopf (who also alternated Wing and Center throughout the year...) After the World Juniors, Kitchener acquired Eduard Sale, Seattle's 1st rd prospect. (and that ended up being a horrible trade, Sale was poo poo garbage the whole season up until the playoffs when he finally stepped up). Mesar was moved to Center and took on more defensive responsibilities (he even started playing the PK). He also had no chemistry with Sale (no one did...). So his productivity took a major hit.
But in the end, once the playoffs came around and it mattered most, Mesar was the Rangers most used two-way forward and was a playmaking machine.

I think if Kitchener solved their Center depth, instead of spending literally 2 players and 9 draft picks for Sale (CHL trades are stupid), Mesar could have been kept on the wing, gotten more consistency, and probably would've finished with 80-90 pts this season. Add the fact Mesar has literally stepped up every time there was better competition (playoffs and World Juniors), I think he's very much slept on by Habs fans.

Should Mesar start in Laval next year? yes 100%. I still don't see him as a two-way guy in the pros, so if he can develop that aspect in the AHL that would be great. But if he can continue his chemistry with Slaf, I can see a Tomas Tatar type player (who doesn't disappear in the playoffs) for MTL.

if Tomas tatar is the ceiling, id say that's fine but still wouldn't want him in the top-6. I agree with you tho and hope he works on his defensive game and becomes more of a puck hound rather than an offensive bystander

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll