SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Pandemonium (Hanifin, Backstrom, Orpik, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Juulsen)

Created by: We_Want_The_Cup
Team: 2017-18 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 29, 2017
Published: Jul. 29, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I get a "Be a GM for a day" pass and turn on the Chaotic Good in me, all hell breaks loose.

Obviously, this team's success is highly contingent on the development of our youth. If each of our youth becomes even slightly better than before, this becomes a championship team. If half of them stagnate, this becomes a wildcard/out-of-playoffs team. So I'm depending on rookies and sophomores Lehkonen, Hudon, Hanifin, Jerabek the most, and to a lesser degree, young professionals Drouin, Gallagher, Danault.

Jerabek and Streit will fight each other for a roster spot as 3rd pairing offensive defenseman. Benn and Orpik will fight each other for a roster spot as 3rd pairind defensive defenseman. Schlemko was sent down even though he would be a great defensive shot-blocking option as 5-6D, but likely a touch inferior to both Benn and Orpik.

AND while we're at it, I essentially now have two 1st round picks in the deep draft, instead of the original one 1st rnd, two 2nd rnd.

DISCLAIMER: I know these trades won't happen in real life. While I'm confident I'm close to fair value with both trades, I don't think any of the GM's would pull the trigger on huge risky trades like these.
Trades
MTL
  1. Hanifin, Noah
  2. 2018 1st round pick (CAR)
CAR
  1. Pacioretty, Max
  2. 2018 2nd round pick (CHI)
MTL
  1. Bäckström, Nicklas
  2. Orpik, Brooks
Additional Details:
(Orpik as negative value cap dump)
WSH
  1. Davidson, Brandon ($712,500 retained)
  2. Galchenyuk, Alex
  3. Juulsen, Noah
  4. 2018 2nd round pick (MTL)
  5. 2019 1st round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
(Juulsen as 2015 1st round D prospect, Davidson as cheap 6th D, Galchenyuk as 2C under Kuzy)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$75,000,000$66,500,476$0$1,150,000$8,499,524
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 6
$6,700,000$6,700,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$839,166$839,166
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$912,500$912,500
C
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$1,166,667$1,166,667
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 5
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 9
$6,500,000$6,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,625,000$4,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,062,500$1,062,500
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Are these trades at fair value (ignoring need and realism)?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 29, 2017 at 1:45 p.m.
ARMCHAIRGM2
I'm gonna be very critical, but you know anything can happen in Hockey.

The Caps trade is okay. The idea of getting Backstrom is very realistic, but not this offseason, I would say next year.
The Orpik cap dump doesn't make as much sense now because it would be like if they gave away Johanson for almost nothing for no reason.
I say Capitals will make one more run at the cup, they still have core players.

I don't know about the Hurricanes trade.
Pacioretty for Hanifin doesn't make much sense for both teams... Only 2 years left on his contract before turning UFA... Doubt the Canes will be contenders as soon as his contract is up, and they're not 100% he would resign. Habs do get a young future left handed elite defenseman for that top line, but they also trade away their top goalscorer...
Hurricanes also trade much needed lottery pick...

Weird trade.

If both trades go through, the Habs top 6 seems fairly weak, relying too much on unproven players...
goldie078 liked this.
Jul. 29, 2017 at 3:41 p.m.
GM Game v1 v2
Quoting: CritikedARMCHAIRGM
I'm gonna be very critical, but you know anything can happen in Hockey.

The Caps trade is okay. The idea of getting Backstrom is very realistic, but not this offseason, I would say next year.
The Orpik cap dump doesn't make as much sense now because it would be like if they gave away Johanson for almost nothing for no reason.
I say Capitals will make one more run at the cup, they still have core players.

I don't know about the Hurricanes trade.
Pacioretty for Hanifin doesn't make much sense for both teams... Only 2 years left on his contract before turning UFA... Doubt the Canes will be contenders as soon as his contract is up, and they're not 100% he would resign. Habs do get a young future left handed elite defenseman for that top line, but they also trade away their top goalscorer...
Hurricanes also trade much needed lottery pick...

Weird trade.

If both trades go through, the Habs top 6 seems fairly weak, relying too much on unproven players...

That's about as fair an assessment as it gets. Have to give you major, major respect for that.

1. For the Caps trade, indeed you're right. The intention for this trade was rather before they lost Johanson, so at this point, this trade can only happen either at the deadline if Caps are underperforming (don't expect that to happen at all), or at the next offseason as you said unless they make the finals, in which case Backstrom stays most probably. However, at that point, I'm not too sure an Orpik cap dump becomes as crucial... We'll have to wait and see. I haven't done my research on the Caps beyond this season.

2. As for the Canes, it'll depend if they want to challenge for the wildcard spot within two years, but only if they couple it with one more move. As for a re-sign, major players who just walk (for reasons other than money or term) are very rare. Canes can afford a Pacioretty re-sign until the end of his career in the mid-future. However, clearly this trade could only happen with an impatient GM who wants to accelerate his rebuild. I was thinking that MIGHT be a possibility, with rumblings of a relocation going around. Having a winning team sure helps bring fans in though! I don't know, just a jab, though I'm aware the odds of seeing such a weird trade is rare. A more reasonable return the Canes should be interested in is Galchenyuk.

On further detail for my motives of doing this trade, I am aware that this will cause regular-season woes. However, our LW depth of scorers goes way off the chart as we stand now (if you account for Drouin, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Lehkonen, Byron, Hudon, and to a lesser extent the lower level prospects in De la Rose, Carr, ...). Most importantly, Pacioretty is infamous for being a playoffs ghost, so selling high on him while he still has two years left would be my best bet. Give value to get value.

Finally, you make a very solid point saying that I'm relying too much on unproven players. Precisely, and I'm taking a risky approach to this team that could either explode way beyond expectations or flounder way under expectations. All I know is that we can't stay a "good, but not good enough" steady team forever. In hockey, some risk has to be taken in trusting the Guentzel's and Rust's of your team (unless you have the luxury of not needing to). So for this particular team, I'm confident that the top line will be an offensive powerhouse, especially since Backstrom improves everybody around him. The next line is a big question mark... If Hudon turns out to be the pure offensive player he seems to be, then it'll be a decent second line with playmaking/scoring, playmaking, and possession/netfront. The following lines are defensively responsible lines who can easily chip in points when need be. I'd personally prefer Shaw to be utilized on the third line, but it seems we've acquired Hemsky to play with fellow Czech Plekanec... So I'll follow along.

Anyway, thanks for your time!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit