Forums/Armchair-GM

Time to get serious.

Created by: MULMATT
Team: 2017-18 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 24, 2017
Published: Oct. 25, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
No longer will "who knows, maybe we will make the playoffs" be the peak of ambition. It's time to take the time, to assemble a contender.
Trades
OTT
  1. Cole, Ian
  2. Sprong, Daniel
  3. 2018 1st round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Turris, Kyle ($1,500,000 retained)
OTT
  1. 2018 2nd round pick (CHI)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$75,000,000$57,894,999$0$2,100,000$17,105,001

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,187,500$5,187,500
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166
C, LW
RFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 4
$1,100,000$1,100,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,200,000$4,200,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$2,800,000$2,800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,250,000$1M)
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,650,000$4,650,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 25, 2017 at 10:03 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
How is this better in any way?
Oct. 25, 2017 at 11:18 p.m.
MULMATTHEW
Don't be such a short term thinker, that has and maybe always will be Ottawa's biggest problem.
Oct. 26, 2017 at 12:10 a.m.
Hahahahhahaha trade the best player in the league?? How is that better? And mostly how does that give any credibility to the ottawa market?

One of the worst posts ive seen.

If your thinking long term, you gotta try to extand Stone and karlsson, and to do so you have to trade phaneuf prohibitive contract.. which wont be easy but check out my last post. I beleive thats the answer
Oct. 26, 2017 at 12:29 a.m.
MULMATTHEW
Mattkenn

You mentioned one thing that I find quite interesting, you said you would "extand" Stone and Karlsson. Please explain what that means, I would be very interested to hear it.

Jokes aside, these are the kinds of posts that I feel bad acknowledging because it's so clear that those writing them have a clear bias towards a certain topic, so much so that they take personal offence, lash out in a reactive way and are unable to look at the situation with any sort of... logic. If you would be willing to be a little less closed minded and childlessly offended, then I would be willing to discuss this with you. If not, you can continue to be mindless white noise that I have spent too much time on.
Oct. 26, 2017 at 12:55 a.m.
Oh look at you Mr. I-Think-I-Know-It All.

Haha first and foremost your trade cannot happen. Edmonton.. considering they have "extended" mcdavid and draisatl would have no room for Karlsson who it 2 years will also be asking 10M+.

Second of all, you do not seem to understand the Ottawa market at all. I believe you think your all big shot because you can prop up a semi-fair trade value trade for Karlsson on pure hockey POV. I get what your doing, You think they should sell high on Karlsson and cash in on some younger assets. Not only, would that decrease their chances of winning this year, it would also ruin all of ottawa credibility as a franchise. Truth is hockey is a business, and karlsson is better for business than your crappy package deal.

Every team needs a superstar to build a dynasty around. you dont just trade superstar for the sake of maybe getting few extra decent prospects.
Oct. 26, 2017 at 1:41 a.m.
MULMATTHEW
Edited Oct. 26, 2017 at 1:50 a.m.
When a players contract is up, the team who had them is not required to sign them. So when Karlsson who "it" 2 years when his contract would expire, they can let him walk. I wish I didn't have to explain that.

Ottawa... AS IT STANDS has no credibility as a franchise, that in large part is due to the short term "MAKE THE PLAYOFFS" attitude. They will do what you initially suggested, they will give Karlsson all the money (at age 29) and try to cobble a team together, they will trade assets for players that are under contract because the market is not strong enough to attract free agents. They will continue to be the mediocre, unnoticed franchise that will sell out every time the leafs or habs come to town, while not being able to sell out home games in the Eastern Conference Final. They will continue to have the peak ambition of "we can compete for a playoff spot", and who knows, maybe they will win a round or two some year.

Also Jussi Jokinen is 34 years old, RNH has been in the league for 7 years, this deal does not consist of "maybe decent prospects".

FUTURE RECCOMENDATIONS
Don't take things so personally.
Don't lack knowledge on the topic you are discussing.
Oct. 26, 2017 at 1:04 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
Mulmatt: You have no idea what I'm thinking when I asked you how that makes the team better. You didn't even answer the question! lol
Instead of insulting peoples 'logic' maybe you should explain yours. Focusing on the semantics of a misspelled word or any grammar mistake on forums like these instead of the actual content is very small minded. Phones mess up all the time.
You don't need to belittle people in every comment just because they don't agree with you.

I don't get what your team is, is it rebuilding or trying to win? The addition of Nurse and Cole make that defense very immobile. The NHL is so fast now, the defense will get torn apart. Nurse doesn't project to be anything more than a 3 or 4, and the sens have a lot of LHD prospects. Centre depth is gone after Brassard leaves they will have one centre who is best suited as a 2nd liner. We don't know what White or Brown really is at this point. If you're going to trade Karlsson, you either get multiple pieces to win now or you initiate a full rebuild. They will still win games with this roster but not make the playoffs. Mediocrity for a very long time.
Oct. 26, 2017 at 5:19 p.m.
MULMATTHEW
CMac66

Your backwards logic and assumptions aside, after looking at it now I guess I had room to explain the specifics, this team as it stands is in no way the end goal, that much should be obvious, try not to think in such brash, shortsighted ways.

When you look at either having to be "TEEAAARRR IT DOOOWWWWNNNNNN" or WIIIINNNNN NOOOOOWWWWWW". It's a very simplistic way of thinking, it's not about one extreme, or the other.

This team has some rather bad contracts tied up in assets that have been diminished, one goal is to pump those assets back up, so they can be traded. You can't do that if you tank.

The Karlsson trade is about getting max value while you can, getting RNH specifically was done with the goal of trading him at the 2018 draft or at the trade deadline after what I think could be a good year playing with Stone.

I would also be looking to trade Brassard at the 2018 draft.

Having a young defenseman who projects to be a top 4, is nothing to scoff at.
Oct. 26, 2017 at 6:13 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
You can't point to me making assumptions when you're doing the same thing. Assuming the assets you get back will build into a cup contender is an assumption. Look you don't have to insult everyone you talk to, either get your point across in a respectful way or move on.

Lol, how am I supposed to know you got RNH in return just to flip him? Rarely do assets get pumped back up. Drouin is the most recent example but that didn't have anything to do with his play.

So it seems you are saying retool then? But as played out over and over again, retools rarely if ever work. If you're stuck in the middle you will drown. The leafs are a great example. They traded diminished assets immediately for the best return possible. There was no building up players or acquiring to flip them later (via trade). Rid of the old, in with the new. But it's not foolproof, Arizona, Edmonton (pre-McJesus), Carolina, Florida, Winnipeg are all examples of rebuilds that are either taking slower or aren't quite working. Teams that it's worked for include, Chicago, LA, Washington, Pittsburgh, Toronto, St. Louis, Tampa Bay. Everyone else stays in the middle. If you're trading Karlsson, you're rebuilding. Period. How can you possibly sell anything else? Oh, were going to trade the best defenseman in the league for futures and assets but were just retooling... Come on. You're also not taking into account what affect this would have on the players. I doubt guys like Ceci and Stone would want to stay if this was the message. It's not just about assets and numbers. It's also about people management. If the players feel they are good enough to win, which I think they do. I'll stand behind them.

The fact is the Sens have a good top 9 forward group that can compete with any team (see the Pens series last spring). Their D beyond Karlsson is not envious but with Claesson making strides and Chabot and Jaros looking good, there is a good future there. Anderson is getting older but he seems to be still playing at a high level, plus the just resigned him... So either push for a cup, or start a rebuild, in between is franchise suicide.
Oct. 26, 2017 at 7:44 p.m.
MULMATTHEW
CMac66

Man, this is one of those conversations that aren't worth having, you are looking to argue... for the sake of argument. For the future I would recommend not getting offended when you can't get your point across, it is okay to be incorrect, that is one of the many ways one can learn something. It's when you get stubborn and hold on to mindless argument that it becomes nothing less than pathetic. In certain cases it gets to the point where these desperate arguments become so, off base, nonsensical, and moronic that it becomes hilarious... this is one of those cases.

ASSETS RARELY GET PUMPED BACK UP:
Rather than creating a list of the many times this has happened, I will mention one that may be within your line of shortsight, and talk about how the example you gave is dumb. Dion Phanuef, why is he an Ottawa Senator? Did the Toronto Maple Leafs perhaps give him a lesser role which allowed him to be a far more consistent player and therefor a far more valuable asset, allowing them to trade him and his terrible contract to Ottawa while not having to retain any of it AND getting a prospect, AND a pick?

Well I guess that didn't happen because you said it's rare... (SARCASM)

Now I don't know what exactly you are saying about Drouin, it's phrased very poorly. Are you using Drouin as an example of how a players trade value never increases? I hope not, because that's just dumb, look at what he got traded for. If you are using him as an example of how he is one of the few players to ever increase his trade value and doing so had nothing to do with how he played, I am sorry but that is also, really dumb. He went from an inexperienced prospect , refusing to play after demanding a trade, to showing his promise in the NHL by playing very well, playing well increased his trade value, which gave Tampa the opportunity to trade him for a high end prospect.

THE BIG DUMB PARAGRAPH:

You try to assign this outlook a label, without any attempt to understand what the thing you are talking about... actually is. And then discuss other times that your incorrect label, hasn't worked. Do I need to explain why that is moronic? I really hope not. It is not about being in between , this is very much a rebuild, the point is, rebuilds take time. You can't just start trading everybody all at once without considering increasing the value of the assets you have, for example if you traded Bobby Ryan... "IMMEDIATELY BECAUSE I NEED TO KNOW THE CURRENT STATE OF MY FRANCHISE AND MAKING KNEE JERK REACTIONARY DECISIONS BASED ON THAT CURRENT STATE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO" , then you would have to retain salary. If you were to trade everything for older players for some reason because... "WIIIINNNN NOOOOWWWWWWW" which is dumb in general, but for Ottawa that would be very poor asset management as you are trading a future to prop up a mediocre team that has no business being propped up.

THE SMALLER DUMB SENTENCE:

Yes, Ottawa's peak ambition is "we can compete for a playoff spot". That is why the team is the afterthought that they are, that doesn't interest me. But wait, trading players is immoral because they are human beings with feelings.

I don't mean to offend you, but I would recommend not including yourself in these conversations if you can't perceive the situation with a clear head, when you look for reasons to be personally offended when someone talks about trading players from a team you like. When you look for reasons to just... argue for no reason, its stubborn, closed minded and just boring, despite my saying it's hilariously pathetic it gets boring fast.

If you respond in a knee jerk "I GOOOTTTTAAAA ARRRGGUUUEEEEE" type way again, I will not respond. I assume that means this is goodbye wink
Oct. 26, 2017 at 11:37 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
It must hurt to walk around with a giant pineapple shoved up your ass. I mean, that's the only explanation I have as to why youre such an asshole.
Dion was always a top 4 D. The Sens traded dead contracts, Lindberg who will be a career ahler and a 2nd. The only viable asset was a 2nd. They didn't have to eat salary because of those contracts. Yeah, Great value...
Drouin didn't report to camp, his value plummeted. Not because of his play, everyone knew he was good. His play in the playoffs increased his value, but it decreased because of his off ice issues before that. He had to earn the respect back.
My god you must love hearing yourself talk lol.
You're the one that started the 'I gotta argue' lol. I asked you how it made the team better. Pretty simple question that I guess was too difficult for you to handle so instead of answering, you claimed I was short sighted... You are looking for fights on here so please, you mean to offend everyone, you clearly like it. Just be man enough to admit it. I tried to have a discussion about a post and you clearly can't do that without invoking your almighty attitude. It's really funny you think as highly of yourself as you do. I'm sure you'll respond to this because you have to have the last laugh. Man you're predictable. Maybe start a conversation when you're ready to have a big boy talk. One where ideas can be exchanged intelligently.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll