Forums/Armchair-GM

Philadelphia Flyers 2018 and Beyond

Created by: bhelm7
Team: 2018-19 Philadelphia Flyers
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 31, 2017
Published: Dec. 31, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Flyers top six (really top 5, the rest are all bottom 6 type players) is performing (Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier). Their goaltending, while not great, is holding up. In other words, it's not an issue, especially with the up and coming prospects. Stolarz will be signed as a pending RFA, and although I didn’t do it here, I think there is a case to trade Neuvirth and Stolarz becomes your #2. With the defense, nothing great overall, but there is a lot of potential there. Maybe a tweak or 2. Where they are hurting are in two areas: 1) No skilled/bonafide LW that can play top minutes and score goals. Moving Giroux to LW this season is not the answer, and even so, you still have a giant hole there on LW.
#2) The bottom six lacking in value/contributions/scoring. You need a strong bottom six in today's NHL, and the Flyers don't have it. Raffle/Weal/Weise/Leier/Konecny/Laughton/Lehtera are all 4th line wingers. And there is only room for 3. Granted, Konecny has potential for a bigger role, but until he proves it, the Flyers need better options. Patrick I think is not ready for the NHL and he needs a year, maybe a 2nd, in the AHL to hone his skills for this level of play.
Here are my solutions: Sign James Neal, and he immediately becomes a premier threat on the LW. The Flyers have other options in UFAs like Kane or van Riemsdyk. You can make an argument for each one, and at the end of the day, I would be okay with each of them. Neal is just my preference based on analytics. I don't think Neal will get more than 7 mil on the market, so 6.5 is relative.
Clear out the surplus of underperforming bottom six players. Raffl is overrated and should not be playing top six minutes. Perron is a far better choice. Though more expensive, he can actually play top six minutes and adds more value in the offensive and defensive department. So trade Raffl (I'm sure a team will want him in exchange for a 4th, 5th, or 6th round pick...I just randomly picked the VGN) and bring in Perron. Now you have a legitimate top six in Neal-Giroux-Voracek, Perron-Couturier-Simmonds. For the bottom 6, Versteeg is a low risk/high reward signing that can play on the 4th line, with Konecny moving to the third line. I would take Vanek over Versteeg, but Vanek would be more expensive and I left just under $3 million in cap room if Neal/Perron/Grabner/Filppula cost more to sign than what I predicted. Keeping Filppula as your 3rd line center for 1 more year I think is the best option, coupled with Grabner who would be another low risk/high reward signing that can play on the 3rd line and contribute. I don't like Weise at all, I think that was a poor signing by Hextall. I don't think any team would trade for him, but I wouldn't bury him just yet.
On defense, Sanheim is not ready for a full time NHL job. Like Patrick, a full 2018-2019 year in the AHL would be more conducive. Franson would be good to bring in for no more than 2 years. Maybe Hamhuis instead for 1 year. But Franson is another low risk/high reward type player that offers more to the Flyers now (key word now) than what Manning or Sanheim can.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,750,000
2$2,500,000
4$6,500,000
3$4,000,000
2$1,700,000
1$900,000
Trades
PHI
  1. 2019 5th round pick (VGK)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$75,000,000$67,141,667$0$1,275,000$7,858,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$4,137,500$4,137,500
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 4
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$4,333,333$4,333,333
C
UFA - 4
$3,975,000$3,975,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$962,500$962,500
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,350,000$2,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 5
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,345,000$2,345,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 31, 2017 at 9:30 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
What happened to all those young Philly Dmen playing in the AHL.? Will they ever be NHL good?
Dec. 31, 2017 at 10:45 a.m.
I don't believe that you have watched a single Flyers game this year. I'll go through and address each of your analysis.

1.) Michael Raffl, Scott Laughton, Nolan Patrick, Travis Konecny, and Val Filppula are not "bottom-six" players, they are all top-nine players.
2.) Anthony Stolarz is not our "up and coming prospect", Carter Hart and Felix Sandstrom are.
3.) Moving Giroux to the LW has paved the way for Sean Couturier to play with elite playmakers relative to what he was previously playing with, and he is having a Selke-caliber year as a result.
4.) Nolan Patrick doesn't need to go to the CHL or the AHL.
5.) Don't sign James Neal, play Oskar Lindblom and allow the young talent to grow.
6.) Michael Raffl doesn't play "top minutes"; he has played the majority of his 5v5 TOI w/ 51, 21, 93, 20.

Travis Sanheim has played the best out of him and Robert Hagg and doesn't need more seasoning in the AHL.

Everyone single one of your signings just hurts Philadelphia in the long run, they need to play kids like Mikhail Yorobyov, Oskar Lindblom, Sam Morin, Philippe Myers, etc.

Jordan Weal is also better than Kris Versteeg.
Boozerelli and Zubrowka liked this.
Jan. 1, 2018 at 2:36 a.m.
Edited Jan. 1, 2018 at 2:57 a.m.
I've watched most of their games this season and it's clear their struggles are on LW and in their bottom 6 (aka secondary scoring). And as I said, even if Giroux becomes a permanent fixture on LW, you have no one else on LW that can produce/have any real impact.
1) No one, at least among hockey sports analysts, talk "top 9" players". It's usually in the context of a team's top 6 and bottom 6 (top 2 lines, then your 3rd and 4th line).
2) If you want to win with Giroux, Simmonds, and Voracek in their prime, the Flyers cannot afford to "allow the young talent to grow" at the NHL level and cost the prime years of Giroux/Simmonds/Voracek. That doesn't mean you have to trade away the young talent or marginalize them in juniors/AHL. With the additions/trades I made, it enables the Flyers to win now, and still have young prospects in the waiting to make it to the NHL level in the next 2 to 3 years. You're not hurting the Flyers in the long run at all. What you're suggesting is to rush players like Patrick, Lindblom, and Sanheim. You don't have to, and again the moves I made allows flexibility to give them a chance to make the team in the next 1-3 years. You don't however, fill out your bottom six with young players/talent to let them grow and develop, then cost the prime years of your best players. You just end up repeating the cycle. Obviously if a young talent can contribute now, then yes they stay and play at the NHL level. But outside of Provorov, Hagg, G, and Konecny, there aren't any other rookies that need to be at the NHL level. You risk 1, maybe 2 spots for "development". And that's where Laughton comes in as my 4th line center. Now if the Flyers were like Buffalo or Phoenix right now, then yeah of course you can afford to develop and play more of your young talent. But the Flyers have too much invested in their top 3-4 players right now and they can win the cup with just a few more additions (as I've made) without wasting their prime years.
2) Raffl averages about 13 minutes of TOI each game. His role/contributions/and skill doesn't merit that kind of time. He is a solid 4th line winger that at most should average 8-10 minutes TOI. I like that Raffl is a good defensive forward, but the Flyers have a greater need in secondary scoring, and Raffl doesn't provide that. If Raffle made less money, I'd keep him over Versteeg. But in order to add Neal and Perron, Raffl makes too much.
3) Carter Hart and Felix Sandstrom are another 2-3 years away from making it to the NHL level. Elliot provides some stability till then, and Stolarz deserves a shot to prove his worth. There are a lot ways his situation could play out, especially with Hart and Sandstrom in the pipeline. But at least start him as the backup to Elliot, and go from there.
4) Neal is a proven goal scorer and talent still in his prime. Since the UFA market will also include Kane and van Riemsdyk, I believe you can sign him for 5.5 to 6.5 million at 4 years. Adding Perron is a proven talent that can provide secondary scoring and leadership.
5) The defense is already young enough with Provorov, G, and Hagg. Sanheim needs another year at the AHL level, and in the mean time, having Mac D/Gudas/Franson helps balance out the blue line out with good experience and value. You sign Franson for 1 year, 2 at most so it's not costing a spot for a young defenseman long term. And given the nature of defenseman injuries, Sanheim will be called up to play.
6) Versteeg has proven he can contribute as a secondary scorer, and isn't bad as a defensive forward. Yeah of course he has slumped and is past his prime, but bringing him in for 1 year I think is the kind of low risk/potential for a high reward payoff the Flyers need.
Jan. 1, 2018 at 10:23 a.m.
These prospects aren't "2-3 years away", Oskar Lindblom, Mikhail Yorobyov, Philippe Myers, Sam Morin, are all ready to play next season. I am not suggesting "rushing" these players, I'm suggesting giving the players a shot when there is a shot to give.

Michael Raffl does a ton of the little things right, so I'm not sure why you want to slash his TOI by 5 minutes. He makes plays that don't appear of the scoresheet. Watching games allows you to notice these things.

Anthony Stolarz is coming off an other injury, I would rather have Alex Lyon take the backup role or just keep Michal Neuvirth.

Sanheim doesn't need another year in the AHL...if you watch games, you would know that. He has been better than Robert Hagg, and will be our best offensive defensemen in the coming years.

The risk is not letting Jordan Weal play; rather have Jordan Weal .

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll