Forums/Armchair-GM

Adding a RW

Created by: backtrack153
Team: 2017-18 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 6, 2018
Published: Jan. 6, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
It is a bit crazy, but perhaps moving Dougie to RW might be worth a look. We have a strong defence and perhaps he can flourish a bit more offensively. He has all the tools to be a great forward. He is responsible defensively already, has a great shot, good hands, big frame all the things this team needs to add in a RW. Andersson is proving his worth in the AHL and is ready for the promotion. Just a random thought....
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the DET
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$75,000,000$67,927,543$660,000$2,670,000$7,072,457

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LW
UFA - 5
$6,375,000$6,375,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 6
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,950,000$1,950,000
C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 2
$3,575,000$3,575,000
C
UFA - 1
$4,300,000$4,300,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$3,125,000$3,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,375,000$3,375,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 5
$3,857,143$3,857,143
RD
UFA - 3
$4,250,000$4,250,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,650,400$4,650,400
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$755,833$755,833 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RD
UFA - 3
$612,500$612,500
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 6, 2018 at 6:48 p.m.
CGY
Creative.

Burns and Byfuglien have went from wing to D, this is a reverse of that it could be doable but Dougie would likely need a full summer of skating as a forward to get up to being an NHL caliber winger.
Jan. 6, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
Really like this. Struggling teams often could use a move like this. Has the upside to be a good move, if not you just move him back to defense. Like the creative idea.
Jan. 6, 2018 at 7:05 p.m.
FlamesFan53
Quoting: JQuick32
Creative.

Burns and Byfuglien have went from wing to D, this is a reverse of that it could be doable but Dougie would likely need a full summer of skating as a forward to get up to being an NHL caliber winger.

Just some food for thought as you look at the trade market there isn't really any RW that fit the bill this team needs, unless we sell the farm for Mike Stone or William Nylander, it is tough to see where that Right shot offensive threat is coming from. Looking at who is available and in the age bracket to fit in with this core its hard to see where you can upgrade this team. The other options I have thought about that could be a fit are Sam Reinhart, Wayne Simmonds, David Perron, Josh Anderson. Personally my favourite of that list is Josh Anderson I think he would really add everything this team needs on the right side, but can't see CBJ moving him till the draft, as for Reinhart, I think he has boat loads of skill, but he isn't fast and doesn't posses a shot. In an ideal world we can add that shooter in Stone, Anderson, or Nylander. What are your thoughts on getting Josh Anderson at the draft?

As you said it would probably take a summer, but Dougie poses an excellent skill set. The biggest question would how offensively aware he could be, but man if he found his touch it would fun to watch him coming down the wing.
Jan. 6, 2018 at 7:07 p.m.
FlamesFan53
Quoting: HockeyNM1510
Really like this. Struggling teams often could use a move like this. Has the upside to be a good move, if not you just move him back to defense. Like the creative idea.

He has a heck of snap shot if that Bennett/Janko combo had a trigger man it would really help that line, Hathway just doesn't have the hands Dougie does....
HockeyNM1510 liked this.
Jan. 6, 2018 at 8:29 p.m.
CGY
Quoting: backtrack153
Just some food for thought as you look at the trade market there isn't really any RW that fit the bill this team needs, unless we sell the farm for Mike Stone or William Nylander, it is tough to see where that Right shot offensive threat is coming from. Looking at who is available and in the age bracket to fit in with this core its hard to see where you can upgrade this team. The other options I have thought about that could be a fit are Sam Reinhart, Wayne Simmonds, David Perron, Josh Anderson. Personally my favourite of that list is Josh Anderson I think he would really add everything this team needs on the right side, but can't see CBJ moving him till the draft, as for Reinhart, I think he has boat loads of skill, but he isn't fast and doesn't posses a shot. In an ideal world we can add that shooter in Stone, Anderson, or Nylander. What are your thoughts on getting Josh Anderson at the draft?

Josh Anderson would be an interesting target for sure. I was hoping they would be trying to acquire him back in October when he was in the contract dispute, unfortunately the Flames are short on draft picks and weren't wanting to trade from the active roster. With Bjorkstrand and Atkinson who they just signed at RW, I wonder if CBJ would entertain an offer at the draft, only issue is they are rumoured to be looking for help at C and I wouldn't want to move Jankowski as I am a believer Bennett isn't a C.

The Flames need to add one more top 9 forward this offseason whether that is by trade or free agency. It doesn't necessarily need to be a top line winger as Ferland fits in well with 23 and 13. Handedness isn't an issue for me either as Tkachuk can be shifted to RW if need be

Players that interest me include
Gallagher- probably costs Brodie
Nyquist- probably could get for prospects
Kane- might cost you 7x7, which is scary but he is a great power forward.

Let's say next season you acquire Gallagher, my top 9 would be
Gaudreau-Monahan-Gallagher
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Tkachuk

Even if Gallagher isn't acquired I just used him as an example, one more top 9 forward can make this group pretty formidable and the Flames have the defensive depth to move out Brodie.
backtrack153 liked this.
Jan. 6, 2018 at 10:02 p.m.
FlamesFan53
Quoting: JQuick32
Josh Anderson would be an interesting target for sure. I was hoping they would be trying to acquire him back in October when he was in the contract dispute, unfortunately the Flames are short on draft picks and weren't wanting to trade from the active roster. With Bjorkstrand and Atkinson who they just signed at RW, I wonder if CBJ would entertain an offer at the draft, only issue is they are rumoured to be looking for help at C and I wouldn't want to move Jankowski as I am a believer Bennett isn't a C.

The Flames need to add one more top 9 forward this offseason whether that is by trade or free agency. It doesn't necessarily need to be a top line winger as Ferland fits in well with 23 and 13. Handedness isn't an issue for me either as Tkachuk can be shifted to RW if need be

Players that interest me include
Gallagher- probably costs Brodie
Nyquist- probably could get for prospects
Kane- might cost you 7x7, which is scary but he is a great power forward.

Let's say next season you acquire Gallagher, my top 9 would be
Gaudreau-Monahan-Gallagher
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Tkachuk

Even if Gallagher isn't acquired I just used him as an example, one more top 9 forward can make this group pretty formidable and the Flames have the defensive depth to move out Brodie.

I agree with a lot of your input for sure! We are short on draft picks which makes acquiring Anderson a tricky ordeal you would have to hope that they would be willing to bite on Dube+Mangiapane type proposal, which is unlikely till he is in his contract year, which in turn we would have more picks to offer... probably just a pipe dream.....

I totally agree that Bennett is a winger he is just suited for the wing the way he plays the game, I wouldn't move Jankowski as who knows what his ceiling is he looks better and better. Its a nice thing to be watching these two developing a dynamic duo. I also really think Ferland makes that top line tick, not as the driver thats obviously Johnny, but he creates lanes with his net drives and opens up room for 23+13 to do their things.

As for trades, it would be ideal if Evander Kane came in he makes sense and checks all the boxes minus that right shot, but it would have to be very weary of trying to sign him, as I don't see Brad paying anyone more than Johnny/Gio, unless its for an elite game breaker, we have just always seen an internal cap in Calgary.

Nyquist I imagine would be the cheapest for us to acquire as we probably can fit DET needs. I wonder how a line of Nyquist-Backlund-Frolik would look? I wouldn't mind us spending some assets on Nyquist as the contract works and also the age fits.

I love the idea of Gallagher/Brodie deal, I just wonder if thats not a draft deal? That way Valimaki can be the natural replacement or a more developed Kylington?

Looking at draft day maybe then you see a Dougie/W.Nylander deal, it almost makes too much sense...?

Nyquist Addition:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Frolik-Backlund-Nyquist
Bennett-Janko-Tkachuk

Nylander at Draft:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Bennett-Janko-Nylander
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Mangiapane-??-Hathaway
Gio-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone
Kulak-Andersson
Jan. 6, 2018 at 10:58 p.m.
CGY
Quoting: backtrack153

Looking at draft day maybe then you see a Dougie/W.Nylander deal, it almost makes too much sense...?

Nyquist-Backlund-Frolik would be a very good line in my opinion. Nyquist has 1 year left at 4.75 next year, I think he is a bit overpaid but he is still a good player. That would be a very responsible line with some offensive touch. Also frees up Tkachuk to play on a more offensive line and showcase his skills. Hathaway has done much better on that line than I would have ever imagined. Going into the year I saw him as an energy guy that was about replacement level, but since his recall he has shown he can be an everyday player.

Regarding Hamilton for Nylander, yes it makes a lot of sense, but Leafs fans seem to think it's unfair. It's a very fair deal, Hamilton is a young stud defender that has yet to reach his peak, he finished 9th in the league in Norris voting last year...
Jan. 7, 2018 at 12:09 a.m.
For a much simpler alternative, just move Tkachuk over. He played his fair share of RW before coming to the NHL.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll