Forums/Armchair-GM

Sens 2019-2020

Created by: TkachukNorris79
Team: 2019-20 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 28, 2018
Published: Mar. 28, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Tell me we can't sign Karlsson, Stone and Duchene, still be good and be at Eugene's budget.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,500,000
1$1,000,000
6$7,000,000
2$1,800,000
2$1,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$7,000,000
4$4,000,000
8$11,000,000
Zadina, Filip
2$925,000
3$3,750,000
Trades
OTT
  1. Kyrou, Jordan
Additional Details:
2019 1st (previous yea trade, see Sens 2018-2019)
OTT
    Previous trade
    OTT
    1. 2020 3rd round pick (ARI)
    OTT
    1. 2020 4th round pick (CGY)
    CGY
    1. Ryan, Bobby ($2,250,000 retained)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$82,000,000$64,441,665$0$1,902,500$17,558,335
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Zadina, Filip
    $925,000$925,000
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 7
    $758,333$758,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$710,000$710K)
    C, LW
    RFA - 2
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 8
    $747,500$747,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    LW
    RFA - 3
    $3,100,000$3,100,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 6
    $736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
    C
    UFA - 1
    $759,167$759,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
    C
    UFA - 1
    $726,667$726,667
    LW
    RFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 8
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$360,000$360K)
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $761,666$761,666 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    G
    UFA - 2
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $755,000$755,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $4,650,000$4,650,000
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 28, 2018 at 9:31 a.m.
    BigBeardBurns
    U should go Z.Smith for Sheary. I dont think Calgary’s just going to take Ryan and give u a 2nd. He should be part of a Karlsson trade. Claesson4Norris isnt gonna like that Yotes trade lol.
    Mar. 28, 2018 at 9:38 a.m.
    TkachukNorris79
    Quoting: BigBeardBurns
    U should go Z.Smith for Sheary. I dont think Calgary’s just going to take Ryan and give u a 2nd. He should be part of a Karlsson trade. Claesson4Norris isnt gonna like that Yotes trade lol.

I think Ryan at 5 mill with a couple years left isn't bad value at all. But maybe i was reaching for a 2nd haha. Also, Claesson is extremely expendable.
    Mar. 28, 2018 at 10:28 a.m.
    BigBeardBurns
    Quoting: MelnykOut
    I think Ryan at 5 mill with a couple years left isn't bad value at all. But maybe i was reaching for a 2nd haha. Also, Claesson is extremely expendable.

The Claesson part was only because someone’s username being Claesson4Norris
    TkachukNorris79 liked this.
    Mar. 28, 2018 at 10:46 a.m.
    GFG
    We don't want your Bobby Ryan trash, thank you
    Mar. 28, 2018 at 2:17 p.m.
    Quoting: KenKingSucks
    We don't want your Bobby Ryan trash, thank you

Says the guy which favorite team is currently 26th in GF/GP and will miss the playoffs in big part because of it. Outside of Gaudreau, Monahan and Tkachuk, the best Flames forwards are Backlund, Ferland, Bennett and Frolik. Adding Ryan to that group makes the Flames offense more dangerous. They will easily have the cap space for that with Tkachuk the only upcoming significant extension in the next few years (second being Ferland). Looking at the Flames salary cap structure going forward, Ryan at 5.0 wouldn't be a problem at all.

Ryan gets a lot of bad rep because he is overpaid but he is a highly skilled player that consistently produce scoring chances for his team. He can be relatively productive depending on injuries of course. After his peak with Anaheim when he was 21-23 y/o, he followed the next 5 seasons with a ~0.70 PPG in each year. He had a big drop last year but he was consistently injured and had some difficult stuff to deal with off the ice (his mom died from cancer and he had his first new born). This year, even though he dealt with many injuries again, he is somewhat back to being more productive with a 0.59 PPG (I think he'll finish over 0.60 PPG). The thing is when you look deeper with expected goals and goals created, Ryan is actually more valuable than his stats, but has not been playing consistently with great playmakers or scorers (Turris, Dzingel, etc) but when he plays with Stone or Duchene, he produces much more. Problem in Ottawa is that he is overpaid and the team is operating on a strict budget (small market, owner doesn't want to take in his pockets anymore, etc) so the overpayment is a problem for them. For a team not scared to spend money and has cap space, he could be a welcomed top-6 forward.

Ryan is currently 125th in Pts/Game for all forwards who played over 13 games, despite injury trouble once again. If you consider that there is 31 teams, he'd be your 4th most productive forward on the average team. And that pace could go up depending on health, system and teammates (Ottawa's system is really not ideal for offensive production). Before that, he has been a consistent ~0.70 PPG forward, which are first line numbers.
    Mar. 28, 2018 at 3:07 p.m.
    Flames will never trade for Ryan as long as Brian Burke is working for them
    Mar. 28, 2018 at 3:26 p.m.
    GFG
    Quoting: Xspyrit
    Says the guy which favorite team is currently 26th in GF/GP and will miss the playoffs in big part because of it. Outside of Gaudreau, Monahan and Tkachuk, the best Flames forwards are Backlund, Ferland, Bennett and Frolik. Adding Ryan to that group makes the Flames offense more dangerous. They will easily have the cap space for that with Tkachuk the only upcoming significant extension in the next few years (second being Ferland). Looking at the Flames salary cap structure going forward, Ryan at 5.0 wouldn't be a problem at all.

Ryan gets a lot of bad rep because he is overpaid but he is a highly skilled player that consistently produce scoring chances for his team. He can be relatively productive depending on injuries of course. After his peak with Anaheim when he was 21-23 y/o, he followed the next 5 seasons with a ~0.70 PPG in each year. He had a big drop last year but he was consistently injured and had some difficult stuff to deal with off the ice (his mom died from cancer and he had his first new born). This year, even though he dealt with many injuries again, he is somewhat back to being more productive with a 0.59 PPG (I think he'll finish over 0.60 PPG). The thing is when you look deeper with expected goals and goals created, Ryan is actually more valuable than his stats, but has not been playing consistently with great playmakers or scorers (Turris, Dzingel, etc) but when he plays with Stone or Duchene, he produces much more. Problem in Ottawa is that he is overpaid and the team is operating on a strict budget (small market, owner doesn't want to take in his pockets anymore, etc) so the overpayment is a problem for them. For a team not scared to spend money and has cap space, he could be a welcomed top-6 forward.

Ryan is currently 125th in Pts/Game for all forwards who played over 13 games, despite injury trouble once again. If you consider that there is 31 teams, he'd be your 4th most productive forward on the average team. And that pace could go up depending on health, system and teammates (Ottawa's system is really not ideal for offensive production). Before that, he has been a consistent ~0.70 PPG forward, which are first line numbers.

I'd rather be 31st in the league in GF/GP before taking on Bobby "hands made of glass" Ryan's contract. The Flames already have their fair share of overpaid players (eg. Troy Brouwer, Michael Stone) who can barely produce. I don't think that adding Ryan would be the missing piece the Flames want/need. I would rather target someone this off-season as a FA signing (E. Kane, JVR, Real Deal) or look to organizational depth to fill this void.

The benefit that Ryan 'might' bring to the Flames is overshadowed by his inconsistent numbers and several injuries. If I'm GM BT, i don't think the risk is worth the reward.
    Mar. 29, 2018 at 3:06 p.m.
    I'd rather be 31st in the league in GF/GP before taking on Bobby "hands made of glass" Ryan's contract. The Flames already have their fair share of overpaid players (eg. Troy Brouwer, Michael Stone) who can barely produce. I don't think that adding Ryan would be the missing piece the Flames want/need. I would rather target someone this off-season as a FA signing (E. Kane, JVR, Real Deal) or look to organizational depth to fill this void.

The benefit that Ryan 'might' bring to the Flames is overshadowed by his inconsistent numbers and several injuries. If I'm GM BT, i don't think the risk is worth the reward.

lol that's intense. So you're basically saying that you'd rather miss playoffs the next 4 years (would happen if your team has the lowest GF/GP in the league) rather than spend money and try to have a better offense?

What if none of JVR, Tavares, Kane, etc choose to sign in Calgary? You'd have a lot of "free cap space" for nothing (like Montreal this year). Salary cap should be 80 M$ next year and the Flames have around 17 M$ in cap space currently with 16 of the most important players already signed and only Jankowski, Gillies, Kulak and maybe Nick Shore to sign. Basically a full roster with about 15 M$ in cap space (and the situation is good looking forward with Brouwer, Stone and Frolik deals up in 2 years)

I am telling you, you might have a hard time to sign a better and more productive forward than Ryan at 5 M$ x 4 years on the UFA market. Of course, you go after Tavares, JVR, Kane, Neal, Stastny and Perron first but some of them won't be available because they will re-sign with their current team and others might just go to bigger markets and/or cup contenders.

If you're actually able to sign a good UFA forward (let's say Stastny), you could even afford to add Ryan at 5.0 and you could have :

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
    Tkachuk-Stastny-Ryan
    Jankowski-Backlund-Bennett
    Frolik, Foo, Shore, Lazar, Brouwer

If Ottawa was actually a big market and a rich franchise, I'd want them to keep Ryan and be the 5th-7th best forward, which would mean great scoring depth.
    Mar. 29, 2018 at 3:24 p.m.
    GFG
    lol that's intense. So you're basically saying that you'd rather miss playoffs the next 4 years (would happen if your team has the lowest GF/GP in the league) rather than spend money and try to have a better offense?

What if none of JVR, Tavares, Kane, etc choose to sign in Calgary? You'd have a lot of "free cap space" for nothing (like Montreal this year). Salary cap should be 80 M$ next year and the Flames have around 17 M$ in cap space currently with 16 of the most important players already signed and only Jankowski, Gillies, Kulak and maybe Nick Shore to sign. Basically a full roster with about 15 M$ in cap space (and the situation is good looking forward with Brouwer, Stone and Frolik deals up in 2 years)

I am telling you, you might have a hard time to sign a better and more productive forward than Ryan at 5 M$ x 4 years on the UFA market. Of course, you go after Tavares, JVR, Kane, Neal, Stastny and Perron first but some of them won't be available because they will re-sign with their current team and others might just go to bigger markets and/or cup contenders.

If you're actually able to sign a good UFA forward (let's say Stastny), you could even afford to add Ryan at 5.0 and you could have :

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
    Tkachuk-Stastny-Ryan
    Jankowski-Backlund-Bennett
    Frolik, Foo, Shore, Lazar, Brouwer

If Ottawa was actually a big market and a rich franchise, I'd want them to keep Ryan and be the 5th-7th best forward, which would mean great scoring depth.

I guess as an Ottawa based Flames fan, i have had enough time to watch Ryan, and develop my opinion on him. I also have seen this too many times. Calgary likes picking up Ottawa's garbage (Lazar, Chiasson, Dave Cameron)...

I would happily take Hoffman from Ottawa though, considering we have substantial cap space.

Maybe something like;

Hoffman for Brodie + Bennett and a D prospect?
    Mar. 29, 2018 at 5:14 p.m.
    TkachukNorris79
    I guess as an Ottawa based Flames fan, i have had enough time to watch Ryan, and develop my opinion on him. I also have seen this too many times. Calgary likes picking up Ottawa's garbage (Lazar, Chiasson, Dave Cameron)...

I would happily take Hoffman from Ottawa though, considering we have substantial cap space.

Maybe something like;

Andersson or Fox and it's a done deal
    Apr. 3, 2018 at 3:35 p.m.

Maybe something like;

I think you missed Ryan in last playoffs. Despite Karlsson stellar performance, he was the reason the Sens made it farther than the 1st round. He scored 3 GWG (2 in OT) and was having an impact all over the ice with clutch goals, clutch skilled assists, blocked shots, hits, great defensive plays, etc. Also, had quite an impact in his first 3 years before that, scoring at a 60+ pts pace until the later part of those seasons where he got injured.

Lazar has been garbage? Well that's a shame, I thought he could be a solid 4th liner, maybe a good 3rd liner in his prime but doesn't look like he is made for the NHL (thanks for the 2nd round pick that allowed us to draft Alex Formenton).

Chiasson I thought had a solid year for the Flames? Looks like he has been solid for the Caps too. Of course he is just a depth player but I think he'll get more contract years in the NHL.

Cameron was not the greatest coach but I preferred watching Sens games under him, it was more exciting.

Hoffman is great but you're overpaying here. Or I am overrating Brodie... Also, no need for Bennett at all, Sens have many good forward prospects, don't want to create a log jam. A Dman prospect is always a good thing though. Brodie + Fox and it's a done deal. I'd give you Smith too

Hoffman + Smith for Brodie + Fox + 5th

?
    Apr. 5, 2018 at 11:09 a.m.
    GFG
    I think you missed Ryan in last playoffs. Despite Karlsson stellar performance, he was the reason the Sens made it farther than the 1st round. He scored 3 GWG (2 in OT) and was having an impact all over the ice with clutch goals, clutch skilled assists, blocked shots, hits, great defensive plays, etc. Also, had quite an impact in his first 3 years before that, scoring at a 60+ pts pace until the later part of those seasons where he got injured.

Lazar has been garbage? Well that's a shame, I thought he could be a solid 4th liner, maybe a good 3rd liner in his prime but doesn't look like he is made for the NHL (thanks for the 2nd round pick that allowed us to draft Alex Formenton).

Chiasson I thought had a solid year for the Flames? Looks like he has been solid for the Caps too. Of course he is just a depth player but I think he'll get more contract years in the NHL.

Cameron was not the greatest coach but I preferred watching Sens games under him, it was more exciting.

Hoffman is great but you're overpaying here. Or I am overrating Brodie... Also, no need for Bennett at all, Sens have many good forward prospects, don't want to create a log jam. A Dman prospect is always a good thing though. Brodie + Fox and it's a done deal. I'd give you Smith too

Hoffman + Smith for Brodie + Fox + 5th

?

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.. I don't think the Sens would however, given the lackluster play of Brodie. Another piece would probably be required.

I do think you are overrating Brodie.. He hasn't been that effective for the Flames over the past couple of seasons, albeit he has been playing on his offside. But the Flames have pretty good depth at D, so Brodie is the most logical piece to move at this point.
    Apr. 5, 2018 at 11:11 a.m.
    GFG
    Quoting: MelnykOut
    Andersson or Fox and it's a done deal

Sure, take Fox, he's going back to Harvard next year, and there is no certainty that he will choose the Flames over Free Agency
    Apr. 6, 2018 at 4:19 p.m.
    I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.. I don't think the Sens would however, given the lackluster play of Brodie. Another piece would probably be required.

I do think you are overrating Brodie.. He hasn't been that effective for the Flames over the past couple of seasons, albeit he has been playing on his offside. But the Flames have pretty good depth at D, so Brodie is the most logical piece to move at this point.

I haven't followed the Flames as much the last few years, didn't know Brodie was struggling. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll