SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

@VictorMete's 2018 Mock Draft

@VictorMete's 2018 Mock Draft

Draft Class: 2018
Created By: alex74
Published: Jun. 12, 2018 at 10:27 p.m.
Description
Welcome to my 2018 NHL Mock Draft through the first two rounds including details for the first round picks. Enjoy the read and leave your thoughts!
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Do I even have to explain this pick? Franchise defenseman for a team in desperate need of one, best possible outcome for the Buffalo Sabres.
2Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Svechikov is a god send for the Canes, they desperately need a forward with his skill, he will undoubtedly transform their F crop. An elite player with franchise potential who does everything right and plays with a nice edge.
3Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-What are the Habs' biggest needs? A 1C? sure, a 1LD? also yes. But for the good of the Canadiens, Timmins himself said that they won't draft by organizational needs. But luckily, another major need is available at 3, scoring. Being the general consensus pick at this spot, he's a player that can't stop putting the puck in the back of the net anywhere he goes. Filip Zadina has big potential to be a superstar sniper in the league. He's arguably the most talented player in the draft who evidently loves to play under pressure, and Montreal is full of that.
4Logo of the Ottawa Senators-The Sens opt for the big new-age power forward in Brady Tkachuk. Tkachuk's game is reminiscent to his brother's and father's but with even better hands and playmaking ability. Brady can very well be the best skillful agitator in an already impressive group in the league in the near future joining the likes of Marchand, Perry, Gallagher, Domi M.Tkachuk, etc. The Sens can really use a player like him.
5Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-The Coyotes have often went for high upside players in their drafts, and as many of them worked out, many didn't. Here I see the Coyotes picking a defenseman who in my opinion has the highest floor and that his upside is still pretty high. RHD Noah Dobson is a guy who will solidy Arizona's blue line along side OEL and Chychrun. He's a superb skater and probably the most complete D in the entire draft who can end up being one of the more steady top pairing guys in the league.
6Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Hughes is a player that changes the flow of the game, and for a defenseman, that's pretty rare. The Wings have one of the worst D cores in the league, someone with Hughes' speed and skill will push them much closer to the new speedy NHL. Not to mention he spent his college season in Michigan, it's a no-brainer for the Wings to pick the American all-star with elite upside.
7Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-I definitely see the Canucks going for D in this draft. RHD is pretty bare for the team and none of them are offensive-minded guys. Vancouver happily picks Swedish, Adam Boqvist with pick #7. Boqvist has all the tools to become a high scoring defenseman in the next level. Although he can grow and adjust his defensive positioning, with his nice skating and elite shot, Boqvist can and most probably will be a threat from the blue line for years to come. Another guy with elite upside.
8Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Chicago's got many options with this pick. So far, offense has been the main reason for their success, but when you get that from the declining blue line, it's a win-win. Evan Bouchard put up very impressive numbers in the OHL this season. Not the flashiest, but undoubtedly the best PP quarterback in the draft. Has a booming shot with simple crisp passes. The captain of the London Knights will fit very well in the Blackhawks' top 4 and maybe even end up on their top pairing.
9Logo of the New York Rangers-The Rangers luckily have Oliver Wahlstrom fall right into their laps. With a team that can use big-time snipers too, this is a no-brainer. Think of Max Pacioretty but with much better skating and hands, Wahlstrom will be a goal scoring machine for the NYR with his high level shot and finishing ability.
10Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-The Oilers pick the point-producing two-way winger in Joel Farabee. Farabee is an effective player in all situations. He can score and make plays so easily thanks to his elite speed and hockey IQ. Joel's the ideal guy to be on McDavid's wing.
11Logo of the New York Islanders-The NYI pick arguably the best center of the draft with their first pick, Jesperi Kotkaniemi. Kotkaniemi is a natural C who plays a 200 foot game and is an elite playmaker. With Tavares on the brink of free agency, this is a safe bet for them moving on down the middle.
12Logo of the New York IslandersLogo of the Calgary FlamesThe NYI pick a great two-way defenseman in Ty Smith with their second pick. Smith can do it all, whether it's killing penalties or quarterbacking a power play, he is the real deal. The Islanders have a pretty inconsistent D-core and with Smith, their blue line can be stabilized for years to come.
13Logo of the Dallas Stars-The Stars go for a center since Spezza's best days are over and Faksa isn't quite cut out to be a 2C, not to mention the Hanzal fail. Joseph Veleno is an elite defensive forward and playmaker. He'll be a great 2C behind Tyler Seguin on a team lacking depth up front.
14Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the St. Louis BluesThe Flyers pick the big Russian right winger with their first pick, Vitali Kravtsov. Kravtsov can do it all from the wing, including his great defensive game, mainly due to his skating and play with the stick. He dominated the KHL playoffs as a teenager, which is just an incredible feat. His lights-out play in the postseason in such a tough league definitely attracts scouts, with Philadelphia needing a scoring winger along side their nice centers, Kravtsov is the ideal pick at #14.
15Logo of the Florida Panthers-The Panthers select RHD, Bode Wilde. Florida really isn't deep on the right side of their blue line and if Wilde can figure things out in his own end, he can end up being a steal with top pairing potential, if not, his offensive tools including his blistering shot will be a major threat on the PP.
16Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Colorado picks the BPA, two-way center, Barrett Hayton. Hayton had sheltered minutes on a stacked Greyhounds team and still nearly put up a point per game. His game is often compared with the likes of Patrice Bergeron due to his slick playmaking skills and elite defensive game.
17Logo of the New Jersey Devils-New Jersey needs a big stabilizing LHD behind Butcher. On a more offensive-minded blue line, I can totally see the Devils select two-way defenseman K'Andre Miller. Miller is a big guy who can chip in offensively thanks to his impressive skating and passing, he can also throw big hits with his imposing 6'4 frame.
18Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Columbus goes for the Finnish center, Rasmus Kupari. Kupari is an elite skater, possibly the best of his class. His speed and stick handling give him big scoring chances. Not the most creative playmaker, but Kupari has the skills to turn him into a good passer after more time overseas. His willingness on the back check also makes him a guy who can be a future solid top 6 C, a position that the Blue Jackets can use.
19Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-The Flyers don't have many guys that put up points from their blue line besides Gostisbehere and Provorov. They're also pretty much empty on the right side. This is why I can definitely see them select RHD, Calen Addison with their second pick. Addison is a small defenseman who possesses great skating, playmaking and shooting abilities, he put up nearly a point per game in the WHL last season. He can put some weight on so he can be more consistent defensively and maybe take less risks to reduce turnovers so that he can be a solid top 4 option for them.
20Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-The Kings need scoring, it was quite obvious in their short playoff stint this season. Bokk has been one of the quickest risers in his class and for good reasons. The young German dominated the SuperElit. He's still quite raw but he's got all the tools necessary to be an effective top 6 winger in the NHL. He's a great skater and playmaker who possesses a deadly shot too.
21Logo of the San Jose Sharks-The Sharks aren't getting much younger. These days, you need to get some good defensemen who can put up points. Makes sense to me for San Jose to select Rasmus Sandin. Sandin is a very smart defenseman, the smartest in his class in my opinion. He's great all over the ice and rarely makes mistakes. He's a good skater, which is very noticeable when he's defending by skating backwards. Offensively, Sandin makes nice simple plays and can shoot the puck in all sort of ways. For his size, he also occasionally lands highlight reel hits. I'm sure he can find himself on any team's top 4 in no time.
22Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsThe Sens pick Isac Lundestrom with their second pick in the first round. He's a smart two-way center who can really benefit Ottawa long term. He possesses good IQ, skating, playmaking, shooting, physicality, and grit. Although not particularly excellent in one category, his complete game can be make him a solid top-6 C option if his development goes well.
23Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Anaheim selects the talented center, Akil Thomas. Thomas is an elite skater and playmaker who put up well over a point per game in the OHL this season. His only flaw is that he isn't the biggest guy but that will come. His versatility of playing both wing and center will be convenient for the Ducks for years to come. He can very well be the steal of the draft as I can't see him playing outside of the top-6.
24Logo of the Minnesota Wild-The Wild have many good forward prospects but not many defensemen that stand out from the bunch. They look to change that by pick the steady two-way defenseman in Jared McIsaac. He's got a very high floor so he's not much of a risky pick. The elements of his game that really stand out are his skating, shot, and transitioning which will all be useful weapons from Minnesota's blue line.
25Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-The Leafs have one of the most dangerous forward corps in the league. Their defense on the other hand, is nothing to write home about. What's really missing back there is an effective right handed shut down defenseman à la Shea Weber. This is why selecting Jett Woo would be an excellent pick for Toronto. Woo is an elite defender who plays a nice old school physical game that shuts down opposing teams best attacks. Aside from his defensive game, Woo has the tools to chip in offensively as well with his heavy slap shot and strong first passes. He'll most likely be Babcock's most relied on defenseman.
26Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Boston BruinsThe Rangers select Czech right winger Martin Kaut with their second first round pick. Kaut is a great two-way forward who plays a simple but effective game. He is a really smart player who is naturally a sniper but can be just as talented in playmaking, which he put on display at the U20s, feeding the puck to fellow countrymen Zadina and Necas. He's got all the tools to become a solid top-6 fixture who can play up and down the lineup if needed to.
27Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Nashville PredatorsThe Blackhawks pick center Ryan McLeod with their second first round pick. McLeod is a good two-way player who does everything right in all three zones. He's an outstanding skater and playmaker who shows his smarts on every shift. The question is his upside, and although he did put up a point per game, we don't know if he's got all the offensive tools to produce as well in the NHL. Still a safe pick who looks to be a top-9 player for sure who might become top-6 if nicely developed.
28Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningWith their final first round pick, the NYR select defenseman Alexander Alexeyev. The 6'4 blue-liner plays a very solid two-way game that looks like it can translate very well to the big leagues. He's a decent skater, has good vision for crisp passes, and has a canon of a shot that only lacks accuracy. Defensively, he likes to play more of a physical type of game but doesn't have too much difficulty in cutting lanes. He put up an impressive 37 points in 45 games in the WHL.
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Winnipeg JetsThe Blues got a steal last year with Robert Thomas at 20 and look to do the same this year with Ty Dellandrea. For a player who's been under the radar for most of the season, Dellandrea showed what he's made of in the U18s where he impressed many scouts and fans. The best part of his game is his hockey IQ, he always knows what to do and when to do it. He put up 59 points in 67 games on a weak Flint Firebirds team. Ty isn't the most flashy player, but he does it all and does it well.
30Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Vegas Golden KnightsDetroit picks arguably the BPA, winger, Grigori Denisenko. Denisenko is a player who oozes offensive skills that ressemble to William Nylander's toolset. Offensively, Denisenko is a fast and dangerous forward that can deke his way into doing whatever he desires, very smart in the offensive zone. Defensively, however, he often looks lazy and gives up easily, this part of his game is something to really work on. He can also put on some more size as he can get out-muscled quite easily as well. If he puts it all together though, he'll be yet another steal in this draft.
31Logo of the Washington Capitals-The Capitals select the offensive dynamo winger, Jonatan Berggren with the final pick of the first round. Berggren is a small player who plays a big game. He is very smart and effective in all three zones. Offensively especially, he has a strong forecheck, once he's in the opposing zone, he makes terrific plays that end up in beautiful goals. Defensively, he uses his world class skating to take the puck away or cut lanes. For a small guy, he's not afraid to get into the dirty areas which is something a lot of scouts will appreciate. He's another riser who can very well go much before #31.
Jun. 12, 2018 at 11:14 p.m.
Love love love Wahlstrom to the Rangers. A lot of mock drafts I see have the Rangers taking a defenseman, but they already have some promising future D prospects with DeAngelo, Pionk, Day, Hajek and Brady Skjei all being under 24 years old. We could use an elite player up front to build with, as Wahlstrom would be a great piece to complement Chytil and Andersson going forward. I don't know if the Canucks would pass up on him, but they did draft Elias Pettersson last season, so there's their elite forward. Chicago also needs defense, as Keith and Seabrook both showed their ages with their struggling play this season. Also love Quinn Hughes to Detroit as a hockey fan, U of M kid going to play for the Wings, just like DBoss. Love to see it.
alex74 and Mbrunne3 liked this.
Jun. 12, 2018 at 11:38 p.m.
AwesomeMatthews
love all this mock draft and your explanation but the one thing i hope happens is new jersey drafting ryan mcleod so the brothers can play together. that would be awesome
Mbrunne3 and alex74 liked this.
Jun. 13, 2018 at 8:54 a.m.
Mbrunne3
Great job man I think that this is a fair, unbiased, assessment on the draft... well done
alex74 liked this.
Jun. 13, 2018 at 11:48 a.m.
74alex74
Quoting: ShattenkirkIsARanger
Love love love Wahlstrom to the Rangers. A lot of mock drafts I see have the Rangers taking a defenseman, but they already have some promising future D prospects with DeAngelo, Pionk, Day, Hajek and Brady Skjei all being under 24 years old. We could use an elite player up front to build with, as Wahlstrom would be a great piece to complement Chytil and Andersson going forward. I don't know if the Canucks would pass up on him, but they did draft Elias Pettersson last season, so there's their elite forward. Chicago also needs defense, as Keith and Seabrook both showed their ages with their struggling play this season. Also love Quinn Hughes to Detroit as a hockey fan, U of M kid going to play for the Wings, just like DBoss. Love to see it.

Thanks for the feedback! I can still see the Rangers taking a defenseman if it doesn't unfold this way though, notably Ty Smith. But if Wahlstrom is around it's a no-brainer. Kotkaniemi can be argued into this spot too.
Jun. 13, 2018 at 11:50 a.m.
74alex74
Quoting: AwesomeMatthews
love all this mock draft and your explanation but the one thing i hope happens is new jersey drafting ryan mcleod so the brothers can play together. that would be awesome

It would be pretty neat but I think McLeod at 17 is a little bit of a reach. Maybe they see him differently and take a chance on him, but if I'm an NHL GM, I'd only take him near the end of the first round or early second, his upside isn't too desirable from what I've seen, still a safe pick.
Jun. 13, 2018 at 1:58 p.m.
Bryzgalovs_bears
Red Wings are targeting Dobson (who I hope we take), Bouchard, and Kotkaniemi. Arizona probably has the worst forwards in the NHL and a decent Defense. They'll either take Wahlstrom in your scenario or move up to 3rd so they can draft Zadina/Tkachuk then Montreal can take Kotkaniemi or Hughes plus get more assets. I'll argue that Bouchard and Hughes have higher floors than Dobson (He's really skinny and needs to improve his physicality). Bouchard already has an NHL frame and put up points that would suggest he's outgrown the OHL and Hughes played at the world championships and had one goal against while he was on the ice the entire tournament (against South Korea). I doubt Denisenko will fall past 20. If NJD really wants Miller then they would trade down (he's expected to go late 1st, early 2nd). Wings have mentioned they are targeting defensemen and centers with their 1st four picks. If Samuelsson is still available at pick #33 they will take him. Blashill and the Wings love WMU players. Kurashev and Marchenko are guys I can see being taken earlier in the 2nd round just because they have really high ceilings that one of the teams with multiple picks in the 2nd would gamble on them. Over all I like your mock draft and your analysis. Just wanted to give some reported rumors and opinions.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll