SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Karlsson and Nylander

Jul. 3, 2018 at 5:13 p.m.
What, uh, is VAN bringing to this trade exactly?

I just see three players from other teams. VAN just gets Bobby Ryan for free here, or?
Jul. 3, 2018 at 5:15 p.m.
Quoting: Vanderm
What, uh, is VAN bringing to this trade exactly?

I just see three players from other teams. VAN just gets Bobby Ryan for free here, or?

It's a three-way and this is the base.

Essentially here is how everything will end up (something along the lines of):
TOR: Karlsson
OTT: Nylander
VAN: Ryan, picks and prospects

OTT is trading away Karlsson and dumping Ryan while they're at it. TOR gives up Nylander to acquire Karlsson and VAN takes Ryan while gaining picks and prospects.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 5:15 p.m.
Duplicate post
Jul. 3, 2018 at 5:17 p.m.
Quoting: nuxfan
It's a three-way and this is the base.

Essentially here is how everything will end up:
OTT: Nylander and Granlund

So for Markus Granlund...VAN gets Bobby Ryan, picks, AND prospects?

That's not going to work.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 5:19 p.m.
So for Markus Granlund...VAN gets Bobby Ryan, picks, AND prospects?

That's not going to work.

I edited the post and Bobby Ryan is a cap dump. The picks and prospects are compensation for taking on his contract.

"It's a three-way and this is the base.

Essentially here is how everything will end up (something along the lines of):
OTT: Nylander

OTT is trading away Karlsson and dumping Ryan while they're at it. TOR gives up Nylander to acquire Karlsson and VAN takes Ryan while gaining picks and prospects."
Jul. 3, 2018 at 5:28 p.m.
The only issue is unless Karlsson plans to play half is value the leafs really can't afford Karlsson. Though i would never put him in karlsson's league Reilly is a quality top pair dman we just need his complement and not gut the team doing it and were set. I would maybe think a team like Rangers cause the talk is Karlsson wants his deal structured like Tavares and that means a team with deep pockets that has no issue cutting 15 million dollar checks.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 5:29 p.m.
@nuxfan

I get what you're trying to say here, but you're forgetting that there are teams with cap space and need who would actually pay for a player like Bobby Ryan. You're structuring this in a way that claims he's worth less than nothing just because of his contract. Meanwhile, a team like NJ or NYI could use him -- or even better, trade for him, retain $1-3M of his salary, and then move him for even more assets to another team.

He's got plenty of talent and lots of interest at a $4-5M cap hit for many teams.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 5:33 p.m.
Quoting: PuckPal
The only issue is unless Karlsson plans to play half is value the leafs really can't afford Karlsson. Though i would never put him in karlsson's league Reilly is a quality top pair dman we just need his complement and not gut the team doing it and were set. I would maybe think a team like Rangers cause the talk is Karlsson wants his deal structured like Tavares and that means a team with deep pockets that has no issue cutting 15 million dollar checks.

What if Karlsson re-signs at 15 M x 2 years and is traded to VAN who retains 50% and then trades him back to TOR? By the end of those two years he'll be around 30ish and will take a discount to re-sign.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 5:39 p.m.
@nuxfan

I get what you're trying to say here, but you're forgetting that there are teams with cap space and need who would actually pay for a player like Bobby Ryan. You're structuring this in a way that claims he's worth less than nothing just because of his contract. Meanwhile, a team like NJ or NYI could use him -- or even better, trade for him, retain $1-3M of his salary, and then move him for even more assets to another team.

He's got plenty of talent and lots of interest at a $4-5M cap hit for many teams.

Trading him with retained salary to another team could work too. But the whole reason I included Ryan in the trade was to lower Karlsson's value.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 5:44 p.m.
What if Karlsson re-signs at 15 M x 2 years and is traded to VAN who retains 50% and then trades him back to TOR? By the end of those two years he'll be around 30ish and will take a discount to re-sign.

Not if the cap keeps going up, which it will, and he keeps producing in the top 3 dmen in the league during those two years, which he will.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 5:54 p.m.
Not if the cap keeps going up, which it will, and he keeps producing in the top 3 dmen in the league during those two years, which he will.

If he wants to win he'll take a discount is what I meant. Of course, the initial trade would never happen without discussing a future extension.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 6:15 p.m.

Then the leafs are probably more than they want to to get another top pair dman. No team is going to giftwrap a cup to the leafs and eat 7.5 million in cap without getting something more in return. It was a nice idea but i don't honestly think the leafs are going to be in the Karlsson sweepstakes in any capacity.
palhal liked this.
Jul. 3, 2018 at 6:26 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
And what is Karlsson's motivation to sign any contract now? Let's wildly imagine he is signed by the Leafs, I.just think they can't really afford that cap hit in 2019/20
Jul. 3, 2018 at 6:38 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
And what is Karlsson's motivation to sign any contract now? Let's wildly imagine he is signed by the Leafs, I.just think they can't really afford that cap hit in 2019/20

He'd have a serious chance at winning a cup. He'd have to take a discount but contract negotiations would be taken care of prior to the trade being made. The trade hinges on his contract extension.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll