Forums/Armchair-GM

Pacioretty at the deadline.

Created by: Chigurrhh
Team: 2018-19 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 29, 2018
Published: Jul. 29, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Assuming Pacioretty is not dealt before deadline day, the Penguins should have the cap space to acquire him (around 5 million in deadline cap space)

Montreal gets back a picks and a good center prospect.
Trades
MTL
  1. Bellerive, Jordy
  2. 2019 1st round pick (PIT)
  3. 2019 4th round pick (PIT)
  4. 2021 3rd round pick (PIT)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$79,004,892$0$132,500$495,108
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$734,167$734,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 5
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$1,875,000$1,875,000
LW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 5
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 4
$2,137,500$2,137,500
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 29, 2018 at 1:20 p.m.
Banned
No thanks. Centers are more valuable than wingers. Especially not willing to give up a prospect with increased yearly improvement and offensive upside along with multiple draft picks. Plus why would you give up so much for a pending UFA that you could sign without giving up assets??? I would stick with the roster as is for this season n possibly make a deal for a right handed dman for the bottom pairing then focus on a big move or two in the off-season when Hagelins awful contract is over. I would resign Hagelin though for the veteran minimum and slot him on the 4th line w Sheehan. Maatta should be the focal point of any Pens trades. He is super slow with everything he does but could still net a decent return because of his age and the fact he was a former first round pick.
Jul. 29, 2018 at 1:37 p.m.
earl sweatshirt
Quoting: Hamburglar44
No thanks. Centers are more valuable than wingers. Especially not willing to give up a prospect with increased yearly improvement and offensive upside along with multiple draft picks. Plus why would you give up so much for a pending UFA that you could sign without giving up assets??? I would stick with the roster as is for this season n possibly make a deal for a right handed dman for the bottom pairing then focus on a big move or two in the off-season when Hagelins awful contract is over. I would resign Hagelin though for the veteran minimum and slot him on the 4th line w Sheehan. Maatta should be the focal point of any Pens trades. He is super slow with everything he does but could still net a decent return because of his age and the fact he was a former first round pick.

Obviously you don't know the value of goal scoring rentals and you've never seen a trade for a goal scoring winger at the deadline
Chigurrhh liked this.
Jul. 29, 2018 at 1:51 p.m.
watch the cap
Jul. 29, 2018 at 1:53 p.m.
Chiggy

There's is a lot wrong with what you are saying here.

1. Hagelin would not re-sign for a vert minimum. He's a good NHL player that a team will overpay.

2. Right handed d Man for the bottom pairing? Oleksiak plays the right side and the team just gave him three years. Schultz and Letang have the other two RD spots.

3. Maatta should be the focal point of any Pens trades? Why would they give up an affordable, young 2nd pairing guy coming off a good season? This means giving Jack Johnson or Oleksiak more minutes and just makes the defense worse. Yes, he's slow. But he's better than Oleksiak and Johnson.
Jul. 29, 2018 at 1:54 p.m.
Chiggy
Quoting: AndrewColvin91
watch the cap

Deadline cap space shouldn't be an issue. Cap Friendly has it at $ 4,743,000 with Jimmy Hayes on the roster. It should be around $5 million.
Jul. 29, 2018 at 2:05 p.m.
Quoting: Chigurrhh
Deadline cap space shouldn't be an issue. Cap Friendly has it at $ 4,743,000 with Jimmy Hayes on the roster. It should be around $5 million.

they have hayes instead of ZAR on there, so if you have ZAR on it the space will be less than they have listed, not more since he makes more than hayes. If you don't have either one on there then you would be right.
Jul. 29, 2018 at 2:07 p.m.
Chiggy
Quoting: awesome
they have hayes instead of ZAR on there, so if you have ZAR on it the space will be less than they have listed, not more since he makes more than hayes. If you don't have either one on there then you would be right.

They don't need to carry either. 22 people with one extra forward, D and Goalie is fine. The roster I have above has both ZAR and Hayes in the AHL.

But even, if you carry ZAR, it's only 300k more than Hayes. Still enough deadline space.
Jul. 29, 2018 at 2:09 p.m.
ill pass on that deal, you aren't even getting him for a full season and giving up 3 picks(1 of them this years first) plus a decent prospect. They can take the 1st or they can take bellervie plus the 4th, but they cant take both.
Jul. 29, 2018 at 2:10 p.m.
They don't need to carry either. 22 people with one extra forward, D and Goalie is fine. The roster I have above has both ZAR and Hayes in the AHL.

But even, if you carry ZAR, it's only 300k more than Hayes. Still enough deadline space.

right they don't need to carry either, doesn't mean they wont carry either. They would be fine with only one extra forward but idk what they are actually going to do.
Jul. 29, 2018 at 3:05 p.m.
Banned

1. Hagelin would not re-sign for a vert minimum. He's a good NHL player that a team will overpay.

2. Right handed d Man for the bottom pairing? Oleksiak plays the right side and the team just gave him three years. Schultz and Letang have the other two RD spots.

3. Maatta should be the focal point of any Pens trades? Why would they give up an affordable, young 2nd pairing guy coming off a good season? This means giving Jack Johnson or Oleksiak more minutes and just makes the defense worse. Yes, he's slow. But he's better than Oleksiak and Johnson.

It's obviously you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about so this here, will be the only response to this because your statement deserves no more.
Jul. 29, 2018 at 3:07 p.m.
Chiggy
It's obviously you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about so this here, will be the only response to this because your statement deserves no more.

No u.
Jul. 29, 2018 at 3:15 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BIGBOYBENN
Obviously you don't know the value of goal scoring rentals and you've never seen a trade for a goal scoring winger at the deadline

Obviously you dont know the value of saving assets or preparing for the future. Just explain on here why YOU think giving up a top tier prospect, a 1st and two other picks for a winger who is an unrestricted free agent at seasons end is a good deal? Can you guarantee he will or even wants to re-sign in Pgh if a trade happens? Can YOU guarantee the cap will go up or moves will be made to afford him? He is going to get a significant raise with term and I would love to know how you fit all that on a roster filled similar deals and a team with very little money to spend. If you can provide answers to all that with a detailed, realistic explanation then we can continue to discuss.
Jul. 29, 2018 at 3:21 p.m.
Banned
No u.

Seems I'm dealing with a wordsmith and true intellect here. I don't even know how to respond to this because it makes zero sense. I will however go back to your previous retort and break it down everything wrong you typed in response to attempt to make me look foolish. Then I won't be debating anything with you further.
Jul. 29, 2018 at 3:37 p.m.
Banned

First off, Hagelin is not a "good" NHL player. He has speed, yes, but that will be going away soon. He's a good penalty killer, yes, but that will also not be for long due to him slowing down with age. Plus, you should never pay a player for special teams play imo. He is not top 6 forward. He generates scoring and points like a bottom 6 player. By no means is he worth the 4 million he makes per year. You say teams will overpay him. I would love for you to name a single NHL team that will pay him the same contract is he getting now or better yet, give him a raise.

Secondly, Oleksiak plays the left side. He was the bottom pairing left defenseman last season. Chad Ruhdweil (spelling) was the bottom pairing right defenseman. Most NHL teams play their defenseman based on the handedness.

Lastly, Maatta has terrible foot speed period. It's not even up for debate how slow he is. His foot speed translates to poor decisions with puck. He avoids contact at all costs. After all his medical issues his first 2 seasons, he has never recaptured his offensive abilities and imo, he has peaked. He doesn't fit into the style the Penguins play. He needs to get sheltered minutes and if Jack Johnson is as bad as people say, it doesn't make sense to have 7.5 million dollar 5th n 6th defenseman pairing. Take advantage of him being a former 1st round pick with youth and get something for him while you can. 4 million for Maatta is a lot if you compare him to similar skilled defenseman throughout the league.
Jul. 29, 2018 at 3:38 p.m.
Chiggy
Seems I'm dealing with a wordsmith and true intellect here. I don't even know how to respond to this because it makes zero sense. I will however go back to your previous retort and break it down everything wrong you typed in response to attempt to make me look foolish. Then I won't be debating anything with you further.

So much salt.
Jul. 29, 2018 at 3:46 p.m.
First off, Hagelin is not a "good" NHL player. He has speed, yes, but that will be going away soon. He's a good penalty killer, yes, but that will also not be for long due to him slowing down with age. Plus, you should never pay a player for special teams play imo. He is not top 6 forward. He generates scoring and points like a bottom 6 player. By no means is he worth the 4 million he makes per year. You say teams will overpay him. I would love for you to name a single NHL team that will pay him the same contract is he getting now or better yet, give him a raise.

Secondly, Oleksiak plays the left side. He was the bottom pairing left defenseman last season. Chad Ruhdweil (spelling) was the bottom pairing right defenseman. Most NHL teams play their defenseman based on the handedness.

Lastly, Maatta has terrible foot speed period. It's not even up for debate how slow he is. His foot speed translates to poor decisions with puck. He avoids contact at all costs. After all his medical issues his first 2 seasons, he has never recaptured his offensive abilities and imo, he has peaked. He doesn't fit into the style the Penguins play. He needs to get sheltered minutes and if Jack Johnson is as bad as people say, it doesn't make sense to have 7.5 million dollar 5th n 6th defenseman pairing. Take advantage of him being a former 1st round pick with youth and get something for him while you can. 4 million for Maatta is a lot if you compare him to similar skilled defenseman throughout the league.

1.there is a big difference between vet minimum and 4million, I don't think any team is dumb enough to give him a raise or even the same 4million but a lot of teams would offer him above minimum. Personally I think they should offer him around 2million, maybe alittle more and for only a couple years because his speed is his biggest asset, which is what deteriorates most with age. If other teams offer him much more than that then they would need to let him walk.
2.correct
3. I don't know if they see that as 3rd pairing, regardless if they do trade him they would need a defenseman to replace him. Im not opposed to trading maata but its not something I would jump all over unless it was a pretty decent return.
Jul. 29, 2018 at 3:49 p.m.
Chiggy

Since you actually put effort in here, I'll dignify it with a response.

Hagelin is a good NHL player. Solid possession metrics, good forechecking, good penalty killing. Ideal on a third or fourth line. Is 4 million an overpay? yes. But if you think that he's going to go from that to making the veteran minimum (this is literally what you were saying), you are mistaken. Look at the contracts Vancouver and the Islanders gave to bottom six guys this offseason. Hagelin is more useful than most of them. A team like that would gladly pay him $3 million.

Oleksiak played the right side when paired with Ian Cole and Matt Hunwick. When paired with Ruhwedel, he played on the left. His best stretch of play came when playing on the right side.

Yes, we have established that Maatta is slow. Get over it. He's still an above average player at his position and making average money. Sure, trade him away? But what do you replace him with. Good young D don't hit free agency. Penguins don't have much in the way of prospects. He's also coming off his best season in 5 years and is healthy. Any trade pretty much makes the team worse right now because Oleksiak or Johnson would have to step into that role. Then you have Ruhwedel getting minutes. The team just doesn't have the assets to bring in more young D right now.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll