Forums/Armchair-GM

I have too much time

Created by: Chrisb8850
Team: 2019-20 Dallas Stars
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 5, 2019
Published: Feb. 5, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I apologize in advance for all of the reading.

After doing a lot of number crunching and probably spending too much time figuring this out now I have stumbled upon an idea that may work for Dallas.

At the moment the Stars have 11 forwards under contract for next season, 4 defenseman and 2 tendys. The Stars won't need to worry about the goalie position this offseason. Two of the skaters that are under contract for next year are Martin Hanzal and Stephen Johns. Both of which have been dealing with injuries.

Hanzal carries a $4.75 mil cap hit for next season. He has played a total of 45 games for the Stars since he signed a 3-yr deal back in the 2017 offseason. I would not be surprised if Hanzal doesn't play another game in a Stars uniform. So next season, depending on how he is health wise, he might just need to be put in the LTIR.

As for Stephen Johns his situtaion is all about him taking the time he needs until he feels he can play again. He carries a $2.35 mil cap hit and while I would love to see him play next to Miro next season, his health is the number one priority. He could also be a candidate to be put on LTIR.

Between John and Hanzal that is $7.1 million in cap space if they were both to be put on LTIR for next season.

Departing Players- Of the players currently under contract who are set to be UFA/RFA, I expect most of them to stay. The ones who I anticipate would leave are Jason Spezza ($7.5 mil), Brett Ritchie ($1.75 mil), Connor Carrick ($1.3 mil), and Julius Honka ($863,333). not to mention Marc Methot's $4.9 mil, but since he was placed on the LTIR it is like he isn't there.

Of the pending UFA/RFA that I expect the Stars to resign include:
RFA-Mattias Janamrk (if not traded)- has played top-6 minutes is capable of the role, gets his chacnes but hasn't been able to finish. Great Speed and his defensive game has improved.

RFA-Jason Dickinson- He has played the 4th line center role quite often this season and I would expect him to do the same next season. Great on the PK and has contributed in the goal scoring department a handful of time.

RFA-Esa Lindell- Lindell doesn't get a lot of credit for what he does. Shadowed by Klingberg and Heiskanen Lindell is having himself a great year both offensively and defensively. On the top PK unit and has proven he is capable of big minutes when Klingberg was sidelined for a few weeks with a broken hand

UFA Roman Polak- Polak has been a diamond in the rough for the Stars this season. pairs with Lindell on the top PK unit. Is more of a 3rd pairing d-man but has played on the 2nd line next to Miro most of the season.

UFA Taylor Fedun- Fedun was acquired to be a guy to play in the AHL but with injuries was given his chance and has stuck with it. He is the perfect 6th/7th d-man and I would love to see him back next year.

This is what I am currently predicting for these guys. I will give a range of what I think and will "sign" them to the higher of the range.

From most to least expensive-

Esa Lindell- $4 - 4.5 mil
Mattias Janmark- $2-2.5 mil
Jason Dickinson $1 - 2 mil
Roman Polak $ 1 - 1.5 mil
Taylor Fedun $ 900k - 1 mil

If all those signings are made and Johns and Hanzal are put on LTIR that leaves Dallas with just under $18 mil in cap space which is plenty to go out and sign one maybe two top-6 forwards ie: Panarin, Stone, Nyquist, Dzingel, Hayes, Zuccarello, Silfverberg.

I personally would love Dzingel becasue I think he will only cost between $ 4-5 mil and I'd give him a 2/3 year deal and then he re enters free agency at age 28/29.

Then sign one of the others. at the moment I have no preference. I would love Panarin, but I don't think Dallas is on his radar.

And with whatever money is left over they can go and sign a top 4 defenseman. or keep the cap space and give a rookie a chance and maybe trade for a dman near the deadline.

I would like to see both Ty Dellandrea and Jason Robertson see NHL time next year. (That is, if neither of them is traded)

I am not really focused on how long the deals could be with the UFA signings but in the scenario the money + length of contract is all flexible. I just thought of the general idea.

Note: I would continue to shop Val because it not only would shed some cap, but would also get some of the younger guys a look.

Note: the $83 Million cap is from that being the projected cap for next year.

If you made it this far, well I thank you for reading all of this.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
2$2,000,000
3$2,500,000
8$5,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$750,000
2$750,000
2$700,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,500,000
2$5,000,000
3$5,500,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$76,061,666$932,500$3,350,000$6,938,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$9,850,000$9,850,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
UFA - 7
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$811,667$811,667
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,200,000$2,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,400,000$2,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 6
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,916,667$4,916,667
G
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,137,500$2,137,500
LD/RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$850,000$850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,350,000$2,350,000
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 5, 2019 at 6:31 p.m.
What in tarnation
I read the whole thing...lol. I find it pretty reasonable, although two things that I'd change

1. Why would Dallas just leave good RFA's unsigned? All of Honka, Carrick and Ritchie could get some value if included to trades...would be pretty pointless in my opinion to let them go free. Also I'm pretty sure that Spezza will most likely continue in Dallas. My guess is they make a 2x2 deal.

2. I'd probably sign Lindell long-term. 5x8 would be pretty ideal imo. Lindell's been so good this season, he's worth every buck.

Hayes and Dzingel seem pretty good additions to the team, although I'd prefer Dallas going after even bigger names (Panarin, Duchene, Stone).
Chrisb8850 liked this.
Feb. 5, 2019 at 6:54 p.m.
BujLovesSports
Quoting: BurgerBoss
I read the whole thing...lol. I find it pretty reasonable, although two things that I'd change

1. Why would Dallas just leave good RFA's unsigned? All of Honka, Carrick and Ritchie could get some value if included to trades...would be pretty pointless in my opinion to let them go free. Also I'm pretty sure that Spezza will most likely continue in Dallas. My guess is they make a 2x2 deal.

2. I'd probably sign Lindell long-term. 5x8 would be pretty ideal imo. Lindell's been so good this season, he's worth every buck.

Hayes and Dzingel seem pretty good additions to the team, although I'd prefer Dallas going after even bigger names (Panarin, Duchene, Stone).

Thanks for leading the whole thing lol.

But I was kind of just going off of a general idea looking at what the team could look like next year. and I was going off the idea that none of them would be traded. I think Ritchie does have value and hope that he can be moved at the deadline. Carrick started off great. i though he would be a guy that we could extend and keep for the near future, but he hasn't been the same since his injury. and for Honka I can say the same thing to him as said for Ritchie. I don't mind keeping all 3, but I don;t think any of those 3 guys have a place on the roster next year. if we can re-sign and flip em I am all for it.

For Spezza- we can all agree his best years are behind him, he has had a sharp decline in point production the past few seasons and i was not sure what I was expecting. hes 35 years old. I would rather give younger guys a look. I guess I'd take him back on a 1-year deal to help mentor some of the younger guys.

I agree 100% with you on Lindell. would love to lock him up long term. I would gladly do 5x8

Lastly, like I mentioned in the details, I woud love Panarin, Don't know if Panarin Loves Dallas. I'd be happy with Stone too. Duchene is the only FA that I would not want. That may be an unpopular opinion but that's just me.
justaBoss liked this.
Feb. 5, 2019 at 6:59 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Chrisb8850
Thanks for leading the whole thing lol.

But I was kind of just going off of a general idea looking at what the team could look like next year. and I was going off the idea that none of them would be traded. I think Ritchie does have value and hope that he can be moved at the deadline. Carrick started off great. i though he would be a guy that we could extend and keep for the near future, but he hasn't been the same since his injury. and for Honka I can say the same thing to him as said for Ritchie. I don't mind keeping all 3, but I don;t think any of those 3 guys have a place on the roster next year. if we can re-sign and flip em I am all for it.

For Spezza- we can all agree his best years are behind him, he has had a sharp decline in point production the past few seasons and i was not sure what I was expecting. hes 35 years old. I would rather give younger guys a look. I guess I'd take him back on a 1-year deal to help mentor some of the younger guys.

I agree 100% with you on Lindell. would love to lock him up long term. I would gladly do 5x8

Lastly, like I mentioned in the details, I woud love Panarin, Don't know if Panarin Loves Dallas. I'd be happy with Stone too. Duchene is the only FA that I would not want. That may be an unpopular opinion but that's just me.

Well as far as I know, Panarin wants the big money. DAL could theoretically give him pretty much any contract he wants. If he continues being 80-90 point player per season, I'd gladly give him a 11x7 kind of deal.
Chrisb8850 liked this.
Feb. 5, 2019 at 7:48 p.m.
McFaksaGOAT
If you want a really big fish, they could offer sheet Marner for 13-13.5 mil and for sure make it work, although it’s likely their only off season addition, and they could run

Robertson-Seguin-Marner
Gurianov-Benn-Radulov
Hintz-Faksa-Cogliano
Janmark-Dickinson-Pitlick

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Polak
Oleksiak-Fedun
Bayruther

If Robertson turns out not to be ready, they can throw Hintz up there, or do Gurianov-Seguin-Marner with Benn-Hintz-Radulov. Either way, I like our options next year. I also proposed the idea of going for Stone so maybe DAL could do Benn-Faksa-Stone and Gurianov-Seguin-Radulov. I do think Dallas should go for a prime time winger, whether it’s a UFA or an offersheet for an RFA

Thoughts?

Sorry it’s so much to take in lmao. I did read your entire thing and I agree with most of it. I do think there’s value in ritchie and Honka
Chrisb8850 liked this.
Feb. 5, 2019 at 8:02 p.m.
BujLovesSports
Quoting: McFaksaGOAT
If you want a really big fish, they could offer sheet Marner for 13-13.5 mil and for sure make it work, although it’s likely their only off season addition, and they could run

Robertson-Seguin-Marner
Gurianov-Benn-Radulov
Hintz-Faksa-Cogliano

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Polak
Oleksiak-Fedun
Bayruther

If Robertson turns out not to be ready, they can throw Hintz up there, or do Gurianov-Seguin-Marner with Benn-Hintz-Radulov. Either way, I like our options next year. I also proposed the idea of going for Stone so maybe DAL could do Benn-Faksa-Stone and Gurianov-Seguin-Radulov. I do think Dallas should go for a prime time winger, whether it’s a UFA or an offersheet for an RFA

Thoughts?

Sorry it’s so much to take in lmao. I did read your entire thing and I agree with most of it. I do think there’s value in ritchie and Honka

No worries haha. I was bored had an idea and it all just came to fruition. obviously didn't think everything through and there are so many different scenarios that could play out and honestly I'd be happy with nearly all of them as long as we get a guy who can consistently put the puck in the net.

Robertson is my favorite prospect at the moment. He is tearing up the OHL and I can't wait to see what he can do in a Stars uniform. I hope he'd be ready but if not then no big deal.

I do like the idea of Marner that may be a scenario to play around with. another thing I tried to keep in mind is when expansion draft time rolls around along with Miro and Klinger getting extensions when their deals are up. I entertained the idea of maybe Brayden Point, not necessarily the top option but an option none the less.

Ritchie was once a 16 goal scorer, I would think that player is still in him somewhere, he may just need a change of scenary.

At the end of the day as long as we get at least one big name free agent I will be happy.
McFaksaGOAT liked this.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 2:22 a.m.
True Reverse Retro
1) If you're signing him to his big 8-year contract, Lindell will run you $5.5M+. Anything less than 8-years, and you're looking $5M - $5.5M.

2) Polak and Fedun have been better than expected, but with how well Bayreuther played in the NHL, and how well he's played in the AHL, he's NHL ready. Can't see Dallas signing both Polak and Fedun. Pick one.

3) Hayes & Dzingel will want longer contracts than you have listed here. Hayes (26) and Dzingel (26) will both be looking for deals that take them into their early 30's. Neither will sign for less than 5-years.
Chrisb8850 liked this.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 10:44 a.m.
Quoting: McFaksaGOAT

Robertson-Seguin-Marner
Gurianov-Benn-Radulov
Hintz-Faksa-Cogliano

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Polak
Oleksiak-Fedun
Bayruther

Thoughts?

THoughts on offer sheeting Braden Point instead? Now you have a 1-2 punch of Seguin and Point for the next 8 years!
Chrisb8850 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll