$3,200,000$3,200,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Washington Capitals
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
      $1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $850,000$850,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $800,000$800,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $1,200,000$1,200,000
      RD
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Feb. 13, 2019 at 5:07 p.m.
      RW90
      Quoting: jassan28
      Burakovsky can only provide speed with some scoring=Paul Byron type, victor Mete has the same impact on D like Bowey. The 5-6th Overall will be a 1st or 2nd line elite center, Podolskin=Kuznetsov, Cozens~Toews/Danault

Speed with scoring.... sounds like a solid player to put with McDavid
      Mete & Bowey are nothing alike in the way they play. https://public.tableau.com/shared/ZKNDZG54S?:display_count=yes
      Podolskin & Cozens are not likely going to be available at 6. And to suggest they will be the player that analysts compare them too is unfair to the player. So to suggest the pick "will be a 1st or 2nd line elite center" is a drastic overstatement and wishful thinking. Could it happen, of course it could but dont assume because Frank Button and Blob Mckenzie say the kid reminds them of Toews that he will become Toews.
      Feb. 13, 2019 at 8:27 p.m.
      GoCanada
      Quoting: RWellington
      Mete & Bowey are nothing alike in the way they play. https://public.tableau.com/shared/ZKNDZG54S?:display_count=yes
      Podolskin & Cozens are not likely going to be available at 6. And to suggest they will be the player that analysts compare them too is unfair to the player. So to suggest the pick "will be a 1st or 2nd line elite center" is a drastic overstatement and wishful thinking. Could it happen, of course it could but dont assume because Frank Button and Blob Mckenzie say the kid reminds them of Toews that he will become Toews.

Oilers are rebuilding so it’s makes sense to take the risk for a Toews
      Feb. 14, 2019 at 8:38 a.m.
      I'm glad we can agree on a few things #1 Playoffs arent happening this year & #2 the return on the UFA's / Older players is not going to be a sexy return.

Yup.

However your assessment of Bura & Bowey are out to lunch, Bura has the speed and Hockey IQ to play with McDavid or Drai and Bowey is an excellent passer that plays the right side built for todays NHL (Actually sit down and watch a Caps game, you will be surprised at how good both players are despite lower point totals)

My assessment of Bura & Bowey is out to lunch?? I haven't given my assessment, therefore it's YOU who is out to lunch here.

But consider that Burakovsky is 24, injury-prone and having a really bad season. He's averaging 11 minutes a game which is 4th line on WAS (10th in TOI for forwards), his scoring rates make him the 11th best forward on the team, and he's not likely to be qualified at $3M this summer leaving him a UFA. For you to suggest he's a quality top-6 winger on a playoff team is absurd. I wouldn't mind acquiring this player, but only as a free agent or for a mid-round pick. Nothing about this guy suggests he'd be pushing the Oilers into contention - he's probably a good bet for a rebound season which means he'll be a competent 3rd liner.

Bowey is the same age as Darnell Nurse and is currently Washington's 7th defenseman, having appeared in only 33 games so far this season. He's a downgrade on Matt Benning. Again, I don't mind you trading for this player, but don't give up anything of value.

In short, I think Burakovsky + Bowey for Benning + 4th round pick is approaching reasonable. Even that is probably an overpay by Edmonton.

Mittelstadt is playing average (hard to say he making a huge impact) & Jost has spent time in the AHL this season.

Would you trade either of them for a 4th liner? Of course not.

If EDM is sitting six and Dach or Cozens is not available i make the trade.

You'd be making a huge mistake. I can see why you idolize Chiarelli.

The Oil do not develop well

The Oilers development record has been spotty*, but that's in the past. There will be a new GM in the summer and things will be different going forward. Not necessarily better, but different. Until the new guy has a track record we really can't put past failures on him.

* Draisaitl, Klefbom, Nurse, Nugent-Hopkins and Khaira are all success stories; the Condors are on a 13 game win streak led by rookie pro's and young prospects (Benson, Marody, Day, Bear, Jones, Starrett).

i would love to see a 2019/2020 playoff bound team.

As would I, but trading your top asset for a 4th liner and a 7th defenseman is NOT the way to build a competitive team.
      Feb. 14, 2019 at 8:56 a.m.

What scoring?? Burakovsky just doesn't score much.

2016-17: 12 goals
      2017-18: 12 goals
      2018-19: on pace for 10 goals

His 31 goals in these 3 years put him alongside such illustrious goal-scorers as Derek Ryan, Mikkel Boedker, Adam Lowry and Loui Eriksson. Your idol just gave away Drake Cagguila (29 goals) for a negative return.

Yeah, lets put him on the 1st line and expect to make the playoffs... smh.
      Feb. 14, 2019 at 12:10 p.m.
      RW90
      Quoting: CD282

1.But consider that Burakovsky is 24, injury-prone and having a really bad season. He's averaging 11 minutes a game which is 4th line on WAS (10th in TOI for forwards), his scoring rates make him the 11th best forward on the team, and he's not likely to be qualified at $3M this summer leaving him a UFA. For you to suggest he's a quality top-6 winger on a playoff team is absurd. I wouldn't mind acquiring this player, but only as a free agent or for a mid-round pick. Nothing about this guy suggests he'd be pushing the Oilers into contention - he's probably a good bet for a rebound season which means he'll be a competent 3rd liner.
      2.Bowey is the same age as Darnell Nurse and is currently Washington's 7th defenseman, having appeared in only 33 games so far this season. He's a downgrade on Matt Benning. Again, I don't mind you trading for this player, but don't give up anything of value.
      In short, I think Burakovsky + Bowey for Benning + 4th round pick is approaching reasonable. Even that is probably an overpay by Edmonton.
      3.The Oilers development record has been spotty*, but that's in the past. There will be a new GM in the summer and things will be different going forward. Not necessarily better, but different. Until the new guy has a track record we really can't put past failures on him.
      * Draisaitl, Klefbom, Nurse, Nugent-Hopkins and Khaira are all success stories; the Condors are on a 13 game win streak led by rookie pro's and young prospects (Benson, Marody, Day, Bear, Jones, Starrett).
      4. As would I, but trading your top asset for a 4th liner and a 7th defenseman is NOT the way to build a competitive team.
      5. Your idol just gave away Drake Cagguila (29 goals) for a negative return.

1. Injury prone... hasnt spent time on the IR since December 2017 ? Not likely to be qualified... There are reports of multiple suitors who would be more than willing to qualify him at the $3.3M he will be due. He isnt Toby Reider so he wont be coming here as a UFA.

2. What is the Nurse connection?? Is Bowey a bust because he doesnt play as much as nurse? or is it because he was developed correctly and is still learning the craft behind competent NHL dmen? You act like being part of WSH 3rd pair is a bad thing, as if having Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov and Kempny/Orpik playing in front of you is a something a 23yr old should be embarrassed about. Benning is awful and he needs to go immediately. Cant skate, cant pass. Bowey is maturing into a solid 2way dman that excels at passing which you would know if you watched them play. So to trade for this player youre going to have to give up something of value. Also Benning makes double what anyone on the open market would have given him last year, another reason he needs to go.
      There is a dislike for Oilers fans, much like the dislike for leafs fans, and it partly stems from consistently overvaluing your own talent while undervaluing outside talent. If you legit believe Burakovsky + Bowey for Benning + 4th round pick is a fair deal you are 2 things. 1) part of the narrative about oilers fans being dumb and 2) dumb

3. Oilers development has been spotty.... Edmonton's development has been abysmal. Looking beyond the 1st round picks and Khairia they have nothing to show for themselves. That is on Lowe and co.
      Things are looking up with Woodcroft down there and i hope he continues to grow the program. I really like Jones and am hopeful for guys like Bear, Marody and Benson who all seem to be tracking in the right way. But then i look at players like Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, and further back with Paajarvi and im quickly reminded the Oilers often have no development plan for young players and assume they can plug them into the NHL lineup immediately.

4. I enjoy how much you contradict yourself calling Bura a competent 3rd liner and also a 4th liner.... what is he man? I mean i understand what he is, he is a skilled winger who can skate and think the game like a top line player. Also had strong chemistry with McDavid while playing together in junior. However he lacks intensity some shifts and isnt physical. He can be streaky at times. On a deep washington team he plays behind 2 elite lines and sees minimal PP time.

5. Hahaha my idol... not sure about that. The Manning trade made no sense, on many fronts, whether it be contractually screwing edmonton or compositionally having 8000 LHD on the roster nightly. Drake Caggiula is a flawed player whose numbers are skewed due to usage and playing time with McDavid but no sensical person would have made that trade when EDM was desperately seeking help on the wings.

You continue to evaluate the trade as if it is a one for one style deal.
      Bura < 1st ( $3.3M offersheet comp = 2nd round pick)
      Bowey > Benning + 4th
      When you consider the upgrade of Bowey over Benning and the price to acquire top 6 wingers i dont feel the price is too high. (let me preface that again by saying if Cozens or Dach are available and EDM has the chance to draft them then you do that and find another way to acquire Bura & Bowey.

I love that you think i'm a Chairelli fan... being shredding that idiot personally since he was in Boston. Try again but come with facts not feelings
      Feb. 14, 2019 at 1:17 p.m.

4. I enjoy how much you contradict yourself calling Bura a competent 3rd liner and also a 4th liner.... what is he man?

I'm not going to address everything because I think it's pointless - we clearly disagree on player / pick values and that's okay. Just one point (above) is you not comprehending what I wrote, so I'll repeat it here:

"... a good bet for a rebound season which means he'll be a competent 3rd liner."

I demonstrated that he's a 4th liner (10th in TOI/gp) playing at that level (11th in points/gp) right now. Could he do better next year? It's a good bet.

Pretty simple.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll