Forums/Armchair-GM

Interesting option on Edler and offseason moves

Created by: Mitch_in_Vic
Team: 2019-20 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 28, 2019
Published: Feb. 28, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Lots of talk about the Edler contract situation after choosing not to waive his NTC at the deadline. Edler is a decent serviceable player when he's healthy, but he tends to miss 1/4 of each season due to injury.

I of the mind they give him slightly less than fair market value over 2 years with no trade or movement protection at all, OR, he gets term with full protection but at a massive cap reduction in exchange for the security to stay in Vancouver as he wants. I'm suggesting something like 2.5*6 with full protections, which gives him the security he wants and allow him to close out his career here, but at a very reasonable cap hit so the team has the flexibility to sign all of the younger players over the next few years.

Hughes starts in the NHL at the end of the This season so only has 2 years remaining on his ELC starting next year.
Goldy gets a 1-year "show me" contract
Hutton gets a 1-year "show me" contract and remains a RFA at the end contract to control his rights slightly, either he turns out and needs to get paid or he doesn't and we can resign him at a manageable hit or just cut bait.

Brock gets a 2-year bridge deal to see where he gets to playing beside Pettersson over the next 2 years
Demko also gets a 2-year bridge deal, he hasn't really proven anything at the NHL level yet, it gives him 1 year of shelter under Marky to steal the starting position away for the 2nd year.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,000,000
1$1,500,000
2$1,500,000
1$3,500,000
2$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$2,500,000
2$900,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Hughes, Quinn
2$925,000
Byram, Bowen
3$925,000
Trades
NYI
  1. Sutter, Brandon ($2,175,000 retained)
  2. Tanev, Christopher
Additional Details:
Traded at Draft
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$60,642,711$0$5,887,500$22,357,289
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
C
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$3,366,666$3,366,666
LW
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$891,666$891,666 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
RW
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Hughes, Quinn
$925,000$925,000
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$1,450,000$1M)
LD
UFA - 2
$2,325,000$2,325,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Islanders
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RD
RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 28, 2019 at 6:46 p.m.
Watty1
I think that is an interesting point on Boeser. You could pay up now and hope he fills in or go to 2 yrs. $5m kind of thing like you suggested and wait to see and time his extension with EP's. It would be nice to see him perform in a fully healthy season before committing term and $.

For everything else here is what I would do.
For Edler: 2 yrs @ $6.5m or 3 yrs @ $5.5m with NMC protection for two years and NTC for the final year so the Canucks don't waste a protection slot. I doubt Seattle would take him at his age and with his durability in question. Going 6 years, even at $2.5m, is suicide because he is only going to get worse, not better.

Hughes: I would delay his start time as long as possible to keep him under 10 games so he is exempt from the expansion draft. The Canucks are likely going to miss the playoffs and Hughes is expected to join the team by mid March. Assuming he signs around March 13th, I would give a week of practice before playing him so that he is not eligible. He will still get his 1 year of ELC burned off.

I agree Goldy gets a 1 year show me deal. But Hutton I think commands $4m+ over 3-4 years or is traded. He has been really good with Stecher and we're seeing him play some of his best hockey lately. He also has arbitration rights and isn't likely going to settle for a 1 year deal.

Canucks should go 3 yrs $1.5-$2.5m with Demko similar to deals that Gibson and Vasilevskiy got. If he doesn't overtake Markstrom he is on a favourable contract as a backup or moveable asset. If he overtakes Markstrom the Canucks have a super cheap No. 1 netminder for a couple seasons. He has very little leverage other than to ask for a trade but the Canucks don't have to trade him. He's played 2 career games and needs to prove himself.

I think they have to decide between Pearson/Baertschi/Leivo and move one of them and move Sutter and Eriksson if possible. They can handle 1 more year of Eriksson if necessary, but Sutter has to be traded.

I can't the Islanders making that deal for Dobson. I could see them trading one of their current blueliners (not named Boychuk, Leddy or Pulock) for Tanev but not Dobson.
Mar. 1, 2019 at 9:20 a.m.
I would prefer shorter term for Edler. he's going to be bottom pairing in a couple years
Mar. 1, 2019 at 7:28 p.m.
Quoting: Watty1
I think that is an interesting point on Boeser.
For everything else here is what I would do.
For Edler...
Hughes...
Demko...
Pearson/Baertschi/Leivo...
Sutter...
Eriksson...

Dobson...

So we are basically on the same page with everything. the idea on Brock was Just that, he hasn't plaid a full season yet and has hit slumps in the latter parts of both seasons, so it's hard to tell if it is him jumping out ahead of the other team's inability to get a read on and contain him, or if he is getting into his own head. the fact that EP has sort of hit the same wall, even though he's still quietly putting up points, suggests it could be the former and not the latter for both.

Hughes will get a start this year if he decides to do it, and the Canucks will happily burn a year of his ELC if it means they have a real puck-mover on the back end. I think with the emergence of Hutty and Stetcher this year, coupled with Hughes being able to transition right away, will take a LOT of pressure off Edler to be "THE guy." I think all 3-4 players factor into the Edler contract situation. Honestly, at 2.5*6yr, I'd be happy with Edler in the 5-6-7th man slots as he winds down his career and in the 3-4 slot over the next couple of seasons. As we have seen recently, there are a lot worse defensemen out there making more than even an Edler at 60% of what he is now. He's great in the room by all accounts, is a leader and mentor to the younger players. Insulating him with sheltered minutes like they are/were giving Pouliot/Guddy, I think the Canucks could do a lot worse in the final 4 years of a 6yr deal at 2.5. And at 2.5, the Canucks will probably be able to eat half a season of him as a healthy scratch to force him into retirement or buy him out.
As far as Hutty goes, he's improved a lot, but it's still only one season since he was almost dropped from the NHL. While he has Arb rights, he might also be willing to take a 1yr contract if he can prove he's a 6+mil over 4-6yrs sort of guy vs a 4-year @3-5mil guy. How management approaches/spins the situation could dictate reality.

Goldy deserves a 1yr to prove himself after a serious summer of training and reflection.
I like that deal for Demko.

Pearson/Baertschi/Leivo are all the same player basically at this point, i'd even lump Motte, Granny, Schaller and Spooner in that group. Leivo probably has the most upside, is the youngest next to Motte and isn't going to command more than 1.5 over the next 3-4seasons if we lock him up now. Baer has the highest trade value, while Spooner and Pearson probably have the least. I think we could get a decent retrun on Baer at the draft, maybe a 3rd or 4th. I'm not sure what Motte, Granny and Schaller would even return, maybe a 6-7th? I think we could sit on Pearson for another year, maybe get his value up by parking him with Bo and hope they can get some chemistry going. I'd keep Pearson and Leivo and trade the rest for some fresh jockstraps or whatever they return and make space for some younger players.

Sutter has to go, but he's worth nothing. he is always broken and he has all the offensive upside of a potatoe in a tomb. When he's not broken, he is still good on the draw and defensively, but he'd need a team or a dedicated line that plays a grind-you-down style to be effective in today's NHL. Yotes?

Eriksson... At this point, I'm happy to keep him. I hate his contract, but so does everyone else. Until he submits his NTC lists in 20/21, there is nothing we can do. However, I think he will have decent trade value in 20/21+ on a 30-50% retained salary deal. Maybe they could even get him to waive his NTC next year at the deadline if there is an offer from a contender. I'm sure he knows he's getting dealt the moment he submits that NTC list in 20/21.

Dobson, hey you can hope. wink
My point was we need to package up some players and aggressively go after a high-quality defensive prospect on a team that is looking to make a push and has cap space.

Quoting: Booyah
I would prefer shorter term for Edler. he's going to be bottom pairing in a couple years

Sure but at 2.5. would you take 60% Edler over Pouliot at 1.1? or a Guddy at 4? or a Sbisa at 3.25? or MDZ at 3?
As i said before, at 2.5*6yr, I'd be happy with Edler in the 5-6-7th man slots as he winds down his career and in the 3-4 slot over the next couple of seasons. Do you really think he is above Hutty or Stetcher in the depth chart for next year? As we have seen recently, there are a lot worse defensemen out therethan even an Edler at 60% of what he is now, making more than what I'm suggesting. He's great in the room by all accounts, is a leader and mentor to the younger players. Insulating him with a sheltered 12-15 minutes/game like they are/were giving Pouliot/Guddy, I think the Canucks could do a lot worse in the final 4 years of a 6yr deal at 2.5. And at 2.5, the Canucks will probably be able to eat half a season of him as a healthy scratch to force him into retirement oreven just buy him out.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll