Forums/Armchair-GM

Just Noodling Around - Comments Would be Fun

Created by: bunnymcfoo
Team: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 14, 2019
Published: Mar. 15, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Look, I was having a crappy day so to distract myself I decided to give it a go on seeing if I could figure out something out with the Oilers.

Granted, none of this would actually make much of a difference without a real culture shift & some changes in management & coaching but hey! This is a total thought exercise so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$725,000
2$925,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$6,000,000
3$1,750,000
2$700,000
2$750,000
2$700,000
3$1,500,000
3$925,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2020 1st round pick (EDM)
  2. 2021 3rd round pick (EDM)
OTT
  1. Lucic, Milan ($1,000,000 retained)
  2. 2020 4th round pick (EDM)
  3. 2021 1st round pick (EDM)
  4. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (WSH)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,000,000$81,631,032$0$0$1,368,968
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,835,000$2,835,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
C
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 15, 2019 at 2:44 a.m.
GoCanada
Nicely done although trades and signings are low chance of occuring
bunnymcfoo liked this.
Mar. 15, 2019 at 2:47 a.m.
Official Leafs Fan
So this is a joke right?
Mar. 15, 2019 at 2:48 a.m.
oh how i suffer
Quoting: jassan28
Nicely done although trades and signings are low chance of occuring

Legit - I think if I were a GM I would be pretty reluctant to take that Lucic contract on even with the retained salary and the picks! And if I were an UFA I'm not sure you could pay me enough to go to Edmonton, regardless of the allure of playing with McDavid.
Mar. 15, 2019 at 2:52 a.m.
oh how i suffer
Quoting: Hackadart
So this is a joke right?

I mean, I wasn't particularly serious about any of this, no. But if you're referring to the Nylander trade, well, something's going to have to give in Toronto next season and it sure as heck ain't gonna be Marner's $$$.
Mar. 15, 2019 at 3:10 a.m.
Official Leafs Fan
Quoting: bunnymcfoo
I mean, I wasn't particularly serious about any of this, no. But if you're referring to the Nylander trade, well, something's going to have to give in Toronto next season and it sure as heck ain't gonna be Marner's $$$.

Ok, not to be a D**k about it just with the title and then just really disagreeing with the post I honestly did think for a minute that it was a joke
That said I’m referring to all of it
the Nylander trade A. isn't happening B. Isn’t enough C. Gives the leafs no roster players which is what a contender wants, not picks
The Pulijarvi trade is way undervaluing him, Russell’s contract isn’t bad enough (I’m assuming you meant Kris Russell, cause if not then I’m really lost) to reduce is value to <2nd rounder (late 2nd at that)
And the Lucic deal is probably what it would cost but a team that can’t Garuntee playoffs can’t be without their next two firsts +
bunnymcfoo liked this.
Mar. 15, 2019 at 3:41 a.m.
oh how i suffer
Ok, not to be a D**k about it just with the title and then just really disagreeing with the post I honestly did think for a minute that it was a joke
That said I’m referring to all of it
the Nylander trade A. isn't happening B. Isn’t enough C. Gives the leafs no roster players which is what a contender wants, not picks
The Pulijarvi trade is way undervaluing him, Russell’s contract isn’t bad enough (I’m assuming you meant Kris Russell, cause if not then I’m really lost) to reduce is value to <2nd rounder (late 2nd at that)
And the Lucic deal is probably what it would cost but a team that can’t Garuntee playoffs can’t be without their next two firsts +

Oh, I see! No, I meant what I said - I was having a REAL crappy day (I'm a Sharks fan and today was Not Great for us on many levels) and thought this would be a fun way to shake it off rather than screaming endlessly into the void.

The thing about the Puljujärvi trade is that I'm kind of worried that Edmonton couldn't get much more than that for him at this point; by now he's damaged goods the way that a lot of Oiler's 1st rounders are. His development has been rushed, he's injured, and his numbers have dropped a LOT this year. The whole thing is a shame and if I think too long about how Edmonton doesn't support its prospects I get a little heated. The other two in that trade are also Condors players - I bought Kris Russell out - and my thought was that Detroit is in a rebuild and actually knows how to develop players and would probably jump at having a very good and two solid players to work with. Do you think a first or two seconds would more accurately reflect his value?

I truly do not know what the Leafs are going to have to do next year but something is going to have to give for them to stay under the cap and like I said - it's not going to be Marner's salary. I know Nylander is worth more than that, I just was running with the idea that if they're peeved with him (and they do seem to be, for some incredibly dumb reason) then I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved somewhere to make room for Marner and Kapanen's salaries. I'd have thrown some players in there, but let's be real here: short of Puljujärvi I don't think that Toronto would want anyone that Edmonton would be willing to give up. (Also, believe me when I say that I am incredibly sympathetic to the cap crunch that y'all are facing. We're going to be watching Doug try to squeeze blood from stones this summer and I'm already anticipating being a wreck.

I agree with you that Edmonton probably needs their first round picks, but since it's not like they'll be able to develop them into anything worth having (sorry Oilers fans, but the system is pretty broken) it might behoove them to try and get some solid to excellent players now to support McDavid while he's in his absolute prime rather than hope that they get another natural hockey talent that doesn't need developing to be good. I personally think that would be a safer bet for them and it might be worth the picks.
Hackadart liked this.
Mar. 15, 2019 at 3:51 a.m.
Official Leafs Fan
Quoting: bunnymcfoo
Oh, I see! No, I meant what I said - I was having a REAL crappy day (I'm a Sharks fan and today was Not Great for us on many levels) and thought this would be a fun way to shake it off rather than screaming endlessly into the void.

The thing about the Puljujärvi trade is that I'm kind of worried that Edmonton couldn't get much more than that for him at this point; by now he's damaged goods the way that a lot of Oiler's 1st rounders are. His development has been rushed, he's injured, and his numbers have dropped a LOT this year. The whole thing is a shame and if I think too long about how Edmonton doesn't support its prospects I get a little heated. The other two in that trade are also Condors players - I bought Kris Russell out - and my thought was that Detroit is in a rebuild and actually knows how to develop players and would probably jump at having a very good and two solid players to work with. Do you think a first or two seconds would more accurately reflect his value?

I truly do not know what the Leafs are going to have to do next year but something is going to have to give for them to stay under the cap and like I said - it's not going to be Marner's salary. I know Nylander is worth more than that, I just was running with the idea that if they're peeved with him (and they do seem to be, for some incredibly dumb reason) then I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved somewhere to make room for Marner and Kapanen's salaries. I'd have thrown some players in there, but let's be real here: short of Puljujärvi I don't think that Toronto would want anyone that Edmonton would be willing to give up. (Also, believe me when I say that I am incredibly sympathetic to the cap crunch that y'all are facing. We're going to be watching Doug try to squeeze blood from stones this summer and I'm already anticipating being a wreck.

I agree with you that Edmonton probably needs their first round picks, but since it's not like they'll be able to develop them into anything worth having (sorry Oilers fans, but the system is pretty broken) it might behoove them to try and get some solid to excellent players now to support McDavid while he's in his absolute prime rather than hope that they get another natural hockey talent that doesn't need developing to be good. I personally think that would be a safer bet for them and it might be worth the picks.

Well then I guess we just completely disagree on Pulijarvi’s value, I think because of his age and draft position and the fact that no players have been able to properly develop in the oilers system, that other GMs are salivating thinking of another Dylan Strome
On the leafs end the players that will have to give are guys like Zaitsev (probably pay to move him), Brown, Hyman, heck even Kadri or Johnsson before Nylander, they will have to dump some salary but they aren’t gonna dump a top end talent while doing so, and the last point seems like a low blow at the oilers...... but yeah you’re right lol, you never know though, with their luck they might win the Lafreniere lottery and get a guy even they can’t screw up
bunnymcfoo liked this.
Mar. 15, 2019 at 4:04 a.m.
oh how i suffer
Well then I guess we just completely disagree on Pulijarvi’s value, I think because of his age and draft position and the fact that no players have been able to properly develop in the oilers system, that other GMs are salivating thinking of another Dylan Strome
On the leafs end the players that will have to give are guys like Zaitsev (probably pay to move him), Brown, Hyman, heck even Kadri or Johnsson before Nylander, they will have to dump some salary but they aren’t gonna dump a top end talent while doing so, and the last point seems like a low blow at the oilers...... but yeah you’re right lol, you never know though, with their luck they might win the Lafreniere lottery and get a guy even they can’t screw up

As a hockey fan first and foremost, I sincerely wish that some GM will pay whatever they have to to get Puljujärvi because I'd love to see what he could become! And hey, I hope the Leafs can figure it out because I like what y'all are doing out there - it's a dynamic young team that's exciting to watch and I'd love to see Patty get a cup before he retires.

And I won't lie - I'm salty as **** about the Oilers management & owners and how they could be building a team around the best young talent to hit the NHL in a decade, but nooooooo. (I support the players and fans, but man, it kills me watching great players go up there and just get beat down.)

Anyway, thanks for indulging me and taking the time to have a conversation about my ridiculousness. And good luck against the Flyers tomorrow! I hope Freddie gets his groove back - as someone who's a third Danish, he's my favorite goalie (don't tell Jones!) and it's been a delight to watch him work this season.
Hackadart liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll