Forums/Armchair-GM

Finn-ishing Touches

Created by: HabsRafiki
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 5, 2019
Published: Apr. 17, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Habs add two veteran leaders with hefty contracts -- one for just a year and the other for four years.

Deal offers the Habs a huge upgrade in grit and leadership and gives the Wild and Islanders some much-needed cap relief.

Koivu, who would have to approve this deal, would solidify the forward lines and be a mentor for Kotkeniemi and Poehling. It would also bring full circle the Koivu legacy in Montreal.

Chiarot would be a solid investment that would allow the Habs to develop the next generation of blue liners at a proper pace.

When he's on, Ladd is great. But the Islanders can't afford him if they're going to re-sign Eberle, Lee, Beauvillier and Lehner. Not many teams can afford to take on Ladd's full contract, but Montreal could. Assuming they get Lehner under contract, Gibson is the odd man out and is ready to move up as an NHL backup. Hudon for Koivula is a reasonable exchange, given each team's respective needs.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$800,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,250,000
2$1,250,000
3$2,750,000
3$850,000
$2,000,000
$950,000
$1,050,000
2$725,000
2$915,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,200,000
2$900,000
5$4,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Kaski, Oliwer
3$925,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Byron, Paul ($1,000,000 retained)
  2. Lindgren, Charlie
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
Pick conditional on Koivu playing >60 games.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$82,311,586$0$2,675,000-$811,586
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Islanders
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,200,000$2,200,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$915,000$915,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$748,333$748,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Islanders
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$175,000$175K)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 17, 2019 at 7:52 p.m.
What in tarnation
Koivu at 4C lol.

MIN declines anyway.
TanSor and BlueSeeker liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 7:55 p.m.
Quoting: BurgerBoss
Koivu at 4C lol.

MIN declines anyway.

Koivu is... a prideful guy. Can't see him agreeing to be moved from the team that drafted him (he LOVES it here, wrote a player tribune thingy a couple years ago about how MN is his home away from home) where he can play in the middle 6 to a team where he'd be relegated to the 4th line.
justaBoss liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 7:56 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: TanSor
Koivu is... a prideful guy. Can't see him agreeing to be moved from the team that drafted him (he LOVES it here, wrote a player tribune thingy a couple years ago about how MN is his home away from home) where he can play in the middle 6 to a team where he'd be relegated to the 4th line.

Indeed. And it's not like he's waiving his NMC either.
TanSor liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 7:58 p.m.
Quoting: BurgerBoss
Indeed. And it's not like he's waiving his NMC either.

Let's just say I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the same room as him (not that I would be) when he's being asked to waive his NMC AND that he'd be going to a team where he'd have to be a 4C... I could honestly see the guy flipping chairs. He can get really heated, angry Mikko is scary.
justaBoss liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 8:10 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: TanSor
Let's just say I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the same room as him (not that I would be) when he's being asked to waive his NMC AND that he'd be going to a team where he'd have to be a 4C... I could honestly see the guy flipping chairs. He can get really heated, angry Mikko is scary.

Luckily that will most likely never happen.

Koivu will be a forever Wild. Number 9 will be retired.
TanSor liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 8:34 p.m.
My mistake in referring to it as a 4th line. The Habs don't really have that ... or at least don't want to have that. They try to roll four lines with very little difference between the ice times of each in 5-on-5. I suspect Koivu would also be key to the PK and PP units, so I wasn't trying to demean him at all. And other than Laine, there is no more exciting a young Finn in the league than Kotkeniemi. The Finns also take great pride in their national legacy and bringing in the "next wave" is something that Koivu -- like his brother before him -- might want to do.

I know Koivu loves Minnesota and it would be great for him to retire there. Of course, they should and will retire his #9. By accepting the trade and opening up some cap space for the Wild, Koivu would be being the ultimate "mensch" for the Wild.

I have adjusted my description to better reflect this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 8:37 p.m.
koivu wouldnt be at 4c i would put domi has a winger and have koivu has the 2nd line : danault , koivu , kk and wease i would give 1 or 2 years in ahl for poehling
HabsRafiki liked this.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 8:40 p.m.
Quoting: eric_del
koivu wouldnt be at 4c i would put domi has a winger and have koivu has the 2nd line : danault , koivu , kk and wease i would give 1 or 2 years in ahl for poehling

Agreed. I think that would be a great way to start the season and then see how the kids develop over the first 40 games. (I took a crack at it)
Apr. 17, 2019 at 9:10 p.m.
Habs
Ok, yes it would be cool to have Koivu come to MTL. But giving up Byron (and retaining, seriously!? Byron was on pace for his 3rd straight 20 goal season, hes a deadly penalty killer and he basically produces as much offense as Koivu at this point anyways!) A 2nd and Lindgren is just stupid for one year of a 36 year old C. Especially when the team already is deep at C with Domi, Danault, KK, Poehling, and weal.

Why are you giving up $4M x 5 years for chariot, you want alzner 2.0? Kulak is just as good if not better than chariot and you're only giving him $1.25M × 2 years. Why are you taking Ladd's terrible contract? You just wasted a TON of cap space and now you cant resign your young guys in 2 years. Terrible moves here.
Apr. 17, 2019 at 9:28 p.m.
Quoting: CaptainFlynnt
Ok, yes it would be cool to have Koivu come to MTL. But giving up Byron (and retaining, seriously!? Byron was on pace for his 3rd straight 20 goal season, hes a deadly penalty killer and he basically produces as much offense as Koivu at this point anyways!) A 2nd and Lindgren is just stupid for one year of a 36 year old C. Especially when the team already is deep at C with Domi, Danault, KK, Poehling, and weal.

Why are you giving up $4M x 5 years for chariot, you want alzner 2.0? Kulak is just as good if not better than chariot and you're only giving him $1.25M × 2 years. Why are you taking Ladd's terrible contract? You just wasted a TON of cap space and now you cant resign your young guys in 2 years. Terrible moves here.

The Habs have tons of "Byrons" and no one like Koivu. On poise and leadership alone, the move would be worth it. Lindgren is a plug, but he's cheap and a Minnesota boy -- two things that should appeal to the Wild. I'd rather have Christopher Gibson (who's actually a Finn, too).

The Islanders' "fourth line" dominated opponents and Ladd is that perfect combination of big, fast and punishing. He can also score at times, though that might have faded. Still, he'd be a great catch at $3M, so you're really just "wasting" $2M. WIth the cap going up by $2M every year, the Habs will never have a space problem.

I'm fine not taking Chariot, but he's the best LHD on the market, so he'll command a good wage. I went high because I didn't want the scoffers to say "Ben Chariot will never go to Montreal for $3M.... yada yada. I like Kulak too, but I'd feel a lot better if he were the #3 on the left and not the #2.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 8:02 a.m.
Habs
Quoting: HabsRafiki
The Habs have tons of "Byrons" and no one like Koivu. On poise and leadership alone, the move would be worth it. Lindgren is a plug, but he's cheap and a Minnesota boy -- two things that should appeal to the Wild. I'd rather have Christopher Gibson (who's actually a Finn, too).

The Islanders' "fourth line" dominated opponents and Ladd is that perfect combination of big, fast and punishing. He can also score at times, though that might have faded. Still, he'd be a great catch at $3M, so you're really just "wasting" $2M. WIth the cap going up by $2M every year, the Habs will never have a space problem.

I'm fine not taking Chariot, but he's the best LHD on the market, so he'll command a good wage. I went high because I didn't want the scoffers to say "Ben Chariot will never go to Montreal for $3M.... yada yada. I like Kulak too, but I'd feel a lot better if he were the #3 on the left and not the #2.

The habs do not have a bunch of Byron's. No one on the team can skate like him and he was named an assistant captain for a reason.

I would rather overpay $2.5M for some like panarin or skinner than an aging bottom 6'r like Ladd.

Yes kulak would be an ideal 3rd pairing guy, but that doesn't mean you get another 3rd pair guy just to force him there. If chariot is the best LD UFA (your opinion) than you don't overpay for him. You are probably better off avoiding free agency all together and going for a LD in trades or the draft. Overpaying for UFA LD's when there arent any good ones is how you get alzner.

Also are you actually putting shaw at 4th line C when he was on pace for 60bpts this year in a top 6 wing role?
HabsRafiki liked this.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 9:13 a.m.
The habs do not have a bunch of Byron's. No one on the team can skate like him and he was named an assistant captain for a reason.

I would rather overpay $2.5M for some like panarin or skinner than an aging bottom 6'r like Ladd.

Yes kulak would be an ideal 3rd pairing guy, but that doesn't mean you get another 3rd pair guy just to force him there. If chariot is the best LD UFA (your opinion) than you don't overpay for him. You are probably better off avoiding free agency all together and going for a LD in trades or the draft. Overpaying for UFA LD's when there arent any good ones is how you get alzner.

Also are you actually putting shaw at 4th line C when he was on pace for 60bpts this year in a top 6 wing role?

I like Byron, but if Weal (or Tampa) shows us anything it's that there are more good underappreciated forwards around the league than there are C or decent LHDs. And it's not as if I am sending him packing. The Habs would be getting a really good veteran centreman to help smooth the transition for Kotkeniemi and Poehling (and the other Finns: Gibson, Armia, Lehkonen, Armia, Ikonen and Ylonen).

(Separate rant: If the Habs' Quebec scouts were doing their jobs, the Habs wouldn't have to be looking at Tampa longingly for Yanni Gourde, Alex Barre-Boulet, Mathieu Joseph, Cedric Paquette.... It's amazing to me that players like Patrice Bergeron (Habs picked Cory Urquhart five picks earlier), Brad Marchand (Habs had picked David Fischer, Mathieu Carle and Ryan White) and David Krejci (Habs picked Kyle Chipchura) all seemed to go unnoticed in the Habs backyard)

From what I can tell, Chiarot is a step up on Kulak and has a bit more grit. He's Jordie Benn with better wheels and almost 4 years younger.

As for Shaw, there were two reasons for it lining him up back at C. The first is that the Habs make a point of rolling 4 lines in 5-on-5, so each line has to have some dynamism. Shaw, Weal and Armia would torture other teams, though playing Lehkonen there might be even more infuriating for other teams. The other reason is that, let's face it, Shaw gets hurt ... a lot. Having him as a C makes it easier on the team to replace with someone from Laval (Poehling, Suzuki, Evans) than trying to repurpose a winger like Weal to fill the job.

As for Ladd, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think there's still gas left in that tank.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 11:13 a.m.
Habs
Edited Apr. 18, 2019 at 11:19 a.m.
Quoting: HabsRafiki
I like Byron, but if Weal (or Tampa) shows us anything it's that there are more good underappreciated forwards around the league than there are C or decent LHDs. And it's not as if I am sending him packing. The Habs would be getting a really good veteran centreman to help smooth the transition for Kotkeniemi and Poehling (and the other Finns: Gibson, Armia, Lehkonen, Armia, Ikonen and Ylonen).

(Separate rant: If the Habs' Quebec scouts were doing their jobs, the Habs wouldn't have to be looking at Tampa longingly for Yanni Gourde, Alex Barre-Boulet, Mathieu Joseph, Cedric Paquette.... It's amazing to me that players like Patrice Bergeron (Habs picked Cory Urquhart five picks earlier), Brad Marchand (Habs had picked David Fischer, Mathieu Carle and Ryan White) and David Krejci (Habs picked Kyle Chipchura) all seemed to go unnoticed in the Habs backyard)

From what I can tell, Chiarot is a step up on Kulak and has a bit more grit. He's Jordie Benn with better wheels and almost 4 years younger.

As for Shaw, there were two reasons for it lining him up back at C. The first is that the Habs make a point of rolling 4 lines in 5-on-5, so each line has to have some dynamism. Shaw, Weal and Armia would torture other teams, though playing Lehkonen there might be even more infuriating for other teams. The other reason is that, let's face it, Shaw gets hurt ... a lot. Having him as a C makes it easier on the team to replace with someone from Laval (Poehling, Suzuki, Evans) than trying to repurpose a winger like Weal to fill the job.

As for Ladd, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think there's still gas left in that tank.

Weal is a center and very strong on faceoffs, shaw has played there before but he's definitely better on the wing.

Kulak had a very good season, I would rather have him over chiarot (especially if you think Kulak is worth $1.25M and chiarot is worth $4M, it's not even close). Kulak is already better than chiarot in every way except for physicality, but kulak was on pace for 150 hits so it's not like hes lacking in that department anyways. Also, considering kulak just broke into the NHL this year it's not unreasonable to expect him to continue to improve. The habs could also just resign Benn for probably $2-3M × 2-3 years and he is also better than chiarot.
HabsRafiki liked this.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 11:44 a.m.
Weal is a center and very strong on faceoffs, shaw has played there before but he's definitely better on the wing.

Kulak had a very good season, I would rather have him over chiarot (especially if you think Kulak is worth $1.25M and chiarot is worth $4M, it's not even close). Kulak is already better than chiarot in every way except for physicality, but kulak was on pace for 150 hits so it's not like hes lacking in that department anyways. Also, considering kulak just broke into the NHL this year it's not unreasonable to expect him to continue to improve. The habs could also just resign Benn for probably $2-3M × 2-3 years and he is also better than chiarot.

OK, I'm sold on taking a wait-and-see on Kulak. I'm less sure about retaining Benn, but he might be the best option out there unless the Habs get lucky in a trade.
CaptainFlynnt liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll