Forums/Armchair-GM

Possible Brendan Smith Trades

Created by: rja
Team: 2018-19 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: May 5, 2019
Published: May 5, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I keep seeing Brendan Smith to Ottawa, or Buffalo, or some other team that either a) would not be interested or b) he would not waive for. Remember, he has a 10 team trade list.

Moving Smith is difficult, but here is a limited list of teams where it makes sense. I suggest that in your proposals you use one of these teams: Anaheim, Minnesota, Florida. I am not saying that these teams would necessarily accept a trade for Smith, but they seem like the only teams that might be open to it.

A note to fans that did not follow Brendan Smith: he is not as bad as advertised. He is a good locker room presence, and is actually positionally sound. He unfortunately was the odd man out, as the Rangers wanted to develop their younger group of defensemen (Pionk, Deangelo). True, he carries a large 4.35 cap hit, but some of it can be retained, and he can bring some value to some teams in the league (albeit only a few).
Trades
NYR
  1. Rowney, Carter
Additional Details:
Anaheim currently has two openings on their right side of the blue line. It does not seem like they have anyone ready in their pipe line who can play on the right side, and at the same time are looking to move bottom 6 forwards in order to make room for Jones and Steel. I picked Rowney just as an example, but on paper this could work. I know some Ducks fans have expressed disinterest in Smith, but if Anaheim is unable to sign two players that can play the right side, this could be a decent option.
ANA
    Brendan Smith (he can play the left and the right side).
    NYR
    1. Beck, Colton
    Additional Details:
    The Wild may move on from Spurgeon, and would possibly want to add a depth piece (as Dumba would be inserted into the first pairing). It might get a little worse before it gets better in Minnesota, so they may be willing to take on a couple years of Smith as a depth piece in exchange for next to nothing. Alternatively, Pionk may be the defenseman moved to MIN if these teams were to trade.
    MIN
      Brendan Smith
      NYR
      1. 2019 7th round pick (FLA)
      Additional Details:
      Obviously, if FLA were to acquire both Panarin and Bobrovsky, I am almost certain they would not have the cap space for Smith. However, if they are only able to acquire one, or neither, they may want to add veteran presence on their bottom pairing. Pysyk struggled this past season, and the Panthers do not have many good defensemen prospects in their pipeline. They may opt to let some of their younger defensemen (such as Keeper and McCoshen) develop and let Smith play the bottom pair; at the very worst another depth piece. But certain conditions precedent must first occur, and FLA would have to pay very little (maybe even receive a benefit) to take on Smith.
      FLA
        Smith
        Buyouts
        Retained Salary Transactions
        Buried
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the DAL
        Logo of the TBL
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the CBJ
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the CBJ
        Logo of the FLA
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the DAL
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NSH
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        Logo of the NYR
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        25$82,000,000$69,333,192$0$2,965,000$12,666,808
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the New York Rangers
        $4,625,000$4,625,000
        LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $5,350,000$5,350,000
        C
        UFA - 4
        $3,250,000$3,250,000
        LW, RW, C
        UFA - 2
        $2,275,000$2,275,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 2
        $3,100,000$3,100,000
        RW, C
        UFA - 2
        $1,850,000$1,850,000
        RW
        UFA - 2
        $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
        C, LW
        UFA - 3
        $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        C, LW
        RFA - 3
        $925,000$925,000
        LW, RW, C
        UFA - 1
        $839,167$839,167 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
        LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        $863,333$863,333
        C, LW
        UFA - 3
        Logo of the Minnesota Wild
        $675,000$675,000
        LW
        UFA - 2
        $708,750$708,750
        C, LW
        UFA - 1
        $650,000$650,000
        C, LW, RW
        UFA - 1
        Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
        $1,133,333$1,133,333
        C, RW
        UFA - 3
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $5,700,000$5,700,000
        LD
        NMC
        UFA - 3
        $6,650,000$6,650,000
        RD
        M-NTC, NMC
        UFA - 3
        $8,500,000$8,500,000
        G
        NMC
        UFA - 3
        $5,250,000$5,250,000
        LD
        UFA - 6
        $4,350,000$4,350,000
        LD/RD, LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 3
        $792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
        G
        UFA - 2
        $833,333$833,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
        LD
        UFA - 3
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
        RD
        UFA - 1
        $700,000$700,000
        LD
        UFA - 1
        $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
        RD
        UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        May 5, 2019 at 11:15 p.m.
        Bury him in the ECHL!
        May 5, 2019 at 11:17 p.m.
        I agree he is not as bad as everyone says, but not worth nearly his cap hit. If he had a choice of being waived back to Hartford, OR take a trade to a team on his no trade list, which to you think he would pick? If ANY team will trade for him, he would approve the trade.
        May 5, 2019 at 11:26 p.m.
        Quoting: delneggs
        I agree he is not as bad as everyone says, but not worth nearly his cap hit. If he had a choice of being waived back to Hartford, OR take a trade to a team on his no trade list, which to you think he would pick? If ANY team will trade for him, he would approve the trade.

I would have to disagree. Using the Senators as an example is easier. The Senators are rebuilding and want to play their young defensemen. That means Smith, again, is the odd man out. Smith is trying to play for another contract, and he would be unable to really help his case there. Not only that, but he would have to pay more in income tax dollars in Canada as well. So I would think there are some teams where he would actually exercise his modified no trade clause. But most teams in truth are probably just not interested at this point, so there are only a few teams where he would not be willing to go to.
        May 5, 2019 at 11:28 p.m.
        Quoting: rja
        I would have to disagree. Using the Senators as an example is easier. The Senators are rebuilding and want to play their young defensemen. That means Smith, again, is the odd man out. Smith is trying to play for another contract, and he would be unable to really help his case there. Not only that, but he would have to pay more in income tax dollars in Canada as well. So I would think there are some teams where he would actually exercise his modified no trade clause. But most teams in truth are probably just not interested at this point, so there are only a few teams where he would not be willing to go to.

You think he would rather play another season in Hartford than take a trade to Ottawa? I doubt that very much. His career in the NHL is over if he goes to Hartford again, he can kiss any future contract good bye.
        May 6, 2019 at 12:00 a.m.
        You think he would rather play another season in Hartford than take a trade to Ottawa? I doubt that very much. His career in the NHL is over if he goes to Hartford again, he can kiss any future contract good bye.

He may not be sent to Hartford, considering they move other defensemen if they cannot move him. He already was there last season and then stayed up this season. Unsure why you think going to Ottawa would save his career any more than going to Hartford. In Ottawa he just gains less income on his current contract, and does not even get to play on one of the worst teams in the league. I just think it does not make much financial sense for Smith to waive for Ottawa. These three teams have the best chance of being interested, and he would certainly try it out in those three places.
        May 6, 2019 at 1:38 a.m.
        He may not be sent to Hartford, considering they move other defensemen if they cannot move him. He already was there last season and then stayed up this season. Unsure why you think going to Ottawa would save his career any more than going to Hartford. In Ottawa he just gains less income on his current contract, and does not even get to play on one of the worst teams in the league. I just think it does not make much financial sense for Smith to waive for Ottawa. These three teams have the best chance of being interested, and he would certainly try it out in those three places.

Why do you think he won't play for Ottawa, but he will play with the Rangers? With the new kids coming up next year, the only shot he has at any playing time in NYC is on LW, and that is very doubtful with Lemieux on the team next year. I would be either he is traded this off-season, which is his best bet to play in the NHL, or he is waived and ends up in Hartford. And Ottawa is just one team, I was saying he would not refuse any trade and go to Hartford instead, that would just be a silly on his part. And I like Brendan, but his time with the Rangers in over IMO. To much youth that is faster and better puck movers than him.
        May 6, 2019 at 2:49 a.m.
        MN doesn't need him or his his cap hit. Even if they move on from Spurgeon they have:
        Suter/Dumba
        Brodin/???
        Seeler/Pateryn

Pick up a UFA to play 2nd pair. Have Pateryn play there again. Either of Belpedio and Menell could make a roster push next year. Hunt had a decent showing last season and could be brought back. They could trade Zucker for a d-man. So many other better options than taking Smith.
        May 6, 2019 at 3:41 a.m.
        Why do you think he won't play for Ottawa, but he will play with the Rangers? With the new kids coming up next year, the only shot he has at any playing time in NYC is on LW, and that is very doubtful with Lemieux on the team next year. I would be either he is traded this off-season, which is his best bet to play in the NHL, or he is waived and ends up in Hartford. And Ottawa is just one team, I was saying he would not refuse any trade and go to Hartford instead, that would just be a silly on his part. And I like Brendan, but his time with the Rangers in over IMO. To much youth that is faster and better puck movers than him.

I really don't see Ottawa happening, and I don't think Smith will be in Hartford next year. He was on the team last year and Quinn started playing him at forward. He seems to have become the 23rd player on the roster, perhaps the most overpaid one in the league, but still. I think the rangers are gonna go 7 D, 13 F, and him as a guy who can be either (8D/14F). He'll probably only get in a couple dozen games but better to have that than lose assets moving his contract (which I think has to happen if you want to get rid of him, far too many D are better than him at much much cheaper prices). Quinn likes him, he brings some 'jam' or whatever, and it's a headache to get rid of him. Unless they're getting two $10+mil contracts this summer I think he's safe.
        May 6, 2019 at 8:37 a.m.

I am saying Ottawa is likely not interested in him, and that he would be in the very same situation as he is in with the Rangers, but he would make less money after taxes, so why would he want to go there either? That's all I am saying.
        May 6, 2019 at 8:40 a.m.
        Quoting: wabit
        MN doesn't need him or his his cap hit. Even if they move on from Spurgeon they have:
        Suter/Dumba
        Brodin/???
        Seeler/Pateryn

Pick up a UFA to play 2nd pair. Have Pateryn play there again. Either of Belpedio and Menell could make a roster push next year. Hunt had a decent showing last season and could be brought back. They could trade Zucker for a d-man. So many other better options than taking Smith.

Of course there are better options. A trade like this would only occur if for some reason Minnesota could not get what you listed. In any event, it looks like Minnesota is committed to a retool of sorts, so it's possible they would take him on for next to nothing; it just depends on which direction they want to go in. I was not saying that are interested, I was only saying that if I had to pick three teams, they may be one of them if the right circumstances occur.
        May 6, 2019 at 8:41 a.m.
        Quoting: SomethingKindaGeneric
        I really don't see Ottawa happening, and I don't think Smith will be in Hartford next year. He was on the team last year and Quinn started playing him at forward. He seems to have become the 23rd player on the roster, perhaps the most overpaid one in the league, but still. I think the rangers are gonna go 7 D, 13 F, and him as a guy who can be either (8D/14F). He'll probably only get in a couple dozen games but better to have that than lose assets moving his contract (which I think has to happen if you want to get rid of him, far too many D are better than him at much much cheaper prices). Quinn likes him, he brings some 'jam' or whatever, and it's a headache to get rid of him. Unless they're getting two $10+mil contracts this summer I think he's safe.

Quite possibly, but he may want to move to get more playing time. The three teams I listed seem like the best chances for him to increase his playing time to help him get another contract in 2 years. There is something to be said for waiving no trade clauses on your terms and getting in front of the eight ball.
        May 6, 2019 at 10:53 a.m.
        I am saying Ottawa is likely not interested in him, and that he would be in the very same situation as he is in with the Rangers, but he would make less money after taxes, so why would he want to go there either? That's all I am saying.

I get that....my point was this....if the Rangers went to him with a trade to ANY team, it's highly doubtful he would refuse the trade because he will most likely end up in Hartford next year if he stays.
        May 6, 2019 at 10:56 a.m.

I don't think he is safe next year with Kakko or Hughes joining the team plus Kravstov, plus Fox on D already, before Gorton starts adding free agents. He played wing last year to try to showcase him to teams for a possible trade, to show his versatility. His time in NYC is done IMO.
        May 6, 2019 at 8:07 p.m.
        Quite possibly, but he may want to move to get more playing time. The three teams I listed seem like the best chances for him to increase his playing time to help him get another contract in 2 years. There is something to be said for waiving no trade clauses on your terms and getting in front of the eight ball.

I don't think he is safe next year with Kakko or Hughes joining the team plus Kravstov, plus Fox on D already, before Gorton starts adding free agents. He played wing last year to try to showcase him to teams for a possible trade, to show his versatility. His time in NYC is done IMO.

I think the problem with both of these points is they assume NYR won't have to give up assets to get rid of his contract. Even if he is a borderline NHL player, he is paid far too much, I don't think any team would actually offer him a spot in the top 6 next fall, they would rather play their young guys or sign someone just as good as him for 700k. I mean sure, in an ideal scenario you get rid of him and sign a different depth D that's cheaper (unless you want Fox or Hajek at the 7th D which would hinder their development) but why give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick to be able to do that? Are they really gonna be that tight against the cap next year? I find it hard to believe. The rebuild might be accelerated but I don't think it's 'sign 3 massive contracts and try to win a cup this year' accelerated. Even if Smith wants to move on and so do the Rangers, what team in their right mind would take that contract for nothing? The ones listed above might be landing spots for him but the GM will rightfully demand something else to go with him, and at that point just take the cap hit, bury him if need be.
        May 6, 2019 at 9:26 p.m.
        I think the problem with both of these points is they assume NYR won't have to give up assets to get rid of his contract. Even if he is a borderline NHL player, he is paid far too much, I don't think any team would actually offer him a spot in the top 6 next fall, they would rather play their young guys or sign someone just as good as him for 700k. I mean sure, in an ideal scenario you get rid of him and sign a different depth D that's cheaper (unless you want Fox or Hajek at the 7th D which would hinder their development) but why give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick to be able to do that? Are they really gonna be that tight against the cap next year? I find it hard to believe. The rebuild might be accelerated but I don't think it's 'sign 3 massive contracts and try to win a cup this year' accelerated. Even if Smith wants to move on and so do the Rangers, what team in their right mind would take that contract for nothing? The ones listed above might be landing spots for him but the GM will rightfully demand something else to go with him, and at that point just take the cap hit, bury him if need be.

A team that is unable to grab anyone in free agency that they like for their team. These trades would not be made at the draft, if that was not clear. They are either made post-free agency frenzy or in the middle of season (or even right before it). As for your remarks regarding demands by other GMs, I think you proved why they would not be able to ask for a king's ransom; because it may be likely the Rangers have enough cap space to keep him. There may be no urgency to make the deal this year. Sure, maybe the Rangers would have to throw in a pick, but it would not be as high as a second or third as you suggested.

I also think it is important to look at the specific teams I listed, looking at the Ducks and the Wild, in particular. If you look at their contracts and their terms, they could have ample cap space while to make this work. It will come down to whether or not they can find a player they like on the right side to take over. Both teams seem to not have any youth on the right side that can come up and play the next couple of seasons. So, if they feel Smith would be a good pair for one of their younger defenseman for a couple of years (for example Guhle for the Ducks and Seeler for the Wild), then they MAY be open to trading for Smith. And because there is no urgency for the Rangers to trade him this offseason, they probably could not demand a second or a third. Sure, maybe they could grab a 4th or 5th, and at the same time move a contract they do not want, and it may actually be worth it to them. Key word - may.
        May 6, 2019 at 9:29 p.m.

And the point of the post was really to urge people to stop sending him to teams that are most likely not interested in Smith, or a place where he would not want to go to. Obviously there is some disagreement whether he would unconditionally waive his trade rights, but I am of the opinion that he knows he would actually be worse off if sent to certain teams (most notably the Senators).
        May 7, 2019 at 3:09 a.m.
        This doesn't make much sense to me, teams will lower their offer because the rangers don't actually need to move Smith? Won't they just say, okay I'll go get another guy then. They're not gonna go, well since you don't actually have to move him I'll take him for a 5th. Would you take Russell's contract for a 5th? That's very bad management, teams leverage their cap space, they treat it as an asset.

Here's a short list of depth UFA RHD: Polak, Lovejoy, Girardi, Fedun, McQuaid, Stralman, Heed, Petrovic, Kampfer, Witowski, Welinski, Wideman, Holzer, Prout, Ruhwedel, among others. You're saying all these guys get scooped up before ANA and MIN can make a bid? That's a lot of teams needing RHD depth and having enough cap space to outbid. Wouldn't these guys be jumping for a chance to get into those Top 6 roles you're saying ANA and MIN can offer? All those guys will come in cheaper than Smith even with half his contract retained.
        May 7, 2019 at 8:43 a.m.
        Edited May 7, 2019 at 8:49 a.m.
        This doesn't make much sense to me, teams will lower their offer because the rangers don't actually need to move Smith? Won't they just say, okay I'll go get another guy then. They're not gonna go, well since you don't actually have to move him I'll take him for a 5th. Would you take Russell's contract for a 5th? That's very bad management, teams leverage their cap space, they treat it as an asset.

Here's a short list of depth UFA RHD: Polak, Lovejoy, Girardi, Fedun, McQuaid, Stralman, Heed, Petrovic, Kampfer, Witowski, Welinski, Wideman, Holzer, Prout, Ruhwedel, among others. You're saying all these guys get scooped up before ANA and MIN can make a bid? That's a lot of teams needing RHD depth and having enough cap space to outbid. Wouldn't these guys be jumping for a chance to get into those Top 6 roles you're saying ANA and MIN can offer? All those guys will come in cheaper than Smith even with half his contract retained.

I am saying if they do not want any of these guys, or that they sign elsewhere by mid-late July, they may want a veteran like Smith to play with a younger player like Guhle. They have two spots on the right side to fill. In addition, the Ducks are currently going through a transition, so they may not be looking to sign long-term contracts, and are comfortable taking on Smith. I do not think the price is going to cost the Rangers a high-mid round pick, considering the Rangers in turn could help the Ducks out too, by taking on one or two forward contracts that the Ducks would like to move (examples would be Rowney, Ritchie, or Eaves if he does not qualify for LTIR). So that might lower the value of the pick the Rangers would have to send. And the Rangers do not have to force sending this pick, so if the price is a second or a third, they do not have go through with it. Maybe the Wild or the Panthers would be interested if certain circumstance occur, but the team that people should be proposing to move Smith to is the Ducks, plain and simple. But again, these are big ifs. What defies logic is moving him to the teams that many have posted here.
        May 7, 2019 at 12:09 p.m.
        I am saying if they do not want any of these guys, or that they sign elsewhere by mid-late July, they may want a veteran like Smith to play with a younger player like Guhle. They have two spots on the right side to fill. In addition, the Ducks are currently going through a transition, so they may not be looking to sign long-term contracts, and are comfortable taking on Smith. I do not think the price is going to cost the Rangers a high-mid round pick, considering the Rangers in turn could help the Ducks out too, by taking on one or two forward contracts that the Ducks would like to move (examples would be Rowney, Ritchie, or Eaves if he does not qualify for LTIR). So that might lower the value of the pick the Rangers would have to send. And the Rangers do not have to force sending this pick, so if the price is a second or a third, they do not have go through with it. Maybe the Wild or the Panthers would be interested if certain circumstance occur, but the team that people should be proposing to move Smith to is the Ducks, plain and simple. But again, these are big ifs. What defies logic is moving him to the teams that many have posted here.

Lotta big if's here indeed, can't imagine half of them happen. I have to stop here because this has become a big waste of time, Smith isn't moving, maybe they buy him out but more likely he's the 8D/14F
        rja liked this.
        May 7, 2019 at 1:28 p.m.
        Lotta big if's here indeed, can't imagine half of them happen. I have to stop here because this has become a big waste of time, Smith isn't moving, maybe they buy him out but more likely he's the 8D/14F

Yes, that's sort of what I am trying to say...

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll