Forums/Armchair-GM

Bringing in dat Swagger son

Created by: drumr0213
Team: 2019-20 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: May 27, 2019
Published: May 28, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This team is based on some conversations today that I had.

1) Does Tampa need a shake-up or not?
Tune in tomorrow to Lightning Power Play on iHeart Radio were the shake-up question will be talked about. A replay of it will be on iTunes as well.

2) Swagger. This is for my buddy Tyler of the amazing podcast "Rental Skates". Ty's idea is that this year's exit from the playoffs could haunt us next year. To counter that, we bring in some big time swagger and personality. Someone(s) that can say "yeah last year was bad for y'all but I'm here now and we are gonna light this league up."

Point - Max 8 yr, equal to Stamkos but not at Kuch's level.
However, rumor is Bolts are working on a 3 yr bridge deal for a lot cheaper Cap.

Swagger -
Subban - was gonna do EK with the rumors and all but I decided to go with PK Subban. Probably the most swagger and biggest personality in the league. I mean dude hosted his own late night show, has a celeb GF, huge off-ice community work, etc.
Kessel - attitude with head coach, wants out of Pit to a contender only. = bad boy swagger.
Pavelski - Jumbo Joe retires, EK leaves for NYR, Pavelski wants the Cup BAD! Will go thru a brick wall for the Cup! Leaves to come here on yr to yr term.
I could see us bringing back Brian Boyle or Filppula, fan favorites, big time playoff guys on our 4th line, help overcome our playoff collapse.
Also thought about Panarin or Duchene instead of Subban or EK. Lots of ideas for swagger.

Best DCore in the league -
Hedman - Cernak (moves to top line)
McD - Foote (McD will tutor Foote like he did Cernak) Foote will play bottom pair minutes and Serg/Subban can pick up the extra minutes.
Serg - Subban (both get top pair minutes and on 2nd unit PP)

Is all this realistic - NO! I don't see us moving out Callahan, Palat, Gourde, Killorn, & Miller. Not all 5, but I do see 3 of them leaving. Picking up 3 big names: Pavelski, Subban, & Kessel, again NO! I'm just show some examples of how the Bolts could big time change things up and bring in swagger.

So what is realistic?
I do actually think JBB will shake things up. EK could really happen if he wants to be here as bad as it's reported. JBB will not trade the core which is Stammer, Pointer, Kuch, Heddy, and "Big Cat" Vasy. Everyone else is available IMO, including Serg (or McD). Johnson, etc. Although those 3 are highly unlikely to be moved.

Oh oh, and I know I will get some ppl saying what about 20-21. You have to resign Vasy, Cernak, Cirelli, & Sergy. Again this is some examples of things that could happen but not all of them will. Killorn's NTC opens up to a modified. The Cap will increase. Johnson waives NTC to captain his hometown team in Seattle. Also who's to say we will resign all 4. We may trade a Sergy or Cirelli if we can't afford it. We may move Serg to top 4 and trade McD. Lots of options available.

Lastly feedback is welcome but please nothing toxic or mean. Thanks!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,500,000
2$800,000
3$1,000,000
1$750,000
1$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$4,000,000
Trades
TBL
  1. Subban, P.K. ($2,000,000 retained)
NSH
  1. Gourde, Yanni
  2. Volkov, Alexander
  3. 2019 3rd round pick (TBL)
Additional Details:
Draft pick for retaining Cap
TBL
  1. 2019 6th round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Callahan, Ryan
  2. Raddysh, Taylor
Additional Details:
The tready CapFriendly pick
TBL
  1. 2019 2nd round pick (CBJ)
MTL
  1. Killorn, Alex
Additional Details:
Waives NTC for hometown, top 6 minutes/PP time
TBL
  1. Kessel, Phil
Additional Details:
Kessel will only waive for a contender.
TBL
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (COL)
  2. 2020 6th round pick (FLA)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$80,564,998$0$1,862,500$2,435,002

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
UFA - 8
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW
UFA - 3
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 1
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$833,333$833,333
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$147,500$148K)
RD
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,150,000$1,150,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
LD
RFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 28, 2019 at 3:01 a.m.
Banned
the penguins aren't giving you a 80-90 point winger for scraps.
Zwui21 liked this.
May 28, 2019 at 6:25 a.m.
BOLT LOVER
Edited May 28, 2019 at 6:50 a.m.
Decent ideas .. fully agree something has to happen to shake things up and 2019 will be hangover all year ..you do NOT just say "move on" after the worse playoff loss in NHL history.

Bruins are clearly showing what a tough gritty fast team can do .. eight game winning streak in playoffs? .. amazing. GM Don Seeeney should have a statue made of him for Coyle and Johansson trades at deadline.

For Tampa just focusing on the "middle" will not bring the Cup ..

Agree that Sergachev will be traded for both performance and 2020 cap reasons and should fetch a nice haul. Cirelli untouchable. ALSO dont forget to include Mathieu Joseph in 2020 RFA need to sign .. he valuable .. real question is will league GMs go after Tampas RFAs next year and force Tampa to trade core to sign the future .. I would and I would ...
drumr0213 liked this.
May 28, 2019 at 9:45 p.m.
Burnzie88
Pavelski for 4?!
May 28, 2019 at 10:13 p.m.
Quoting: TheBeardOfBurns
Pavelski for 4?!

Too much or too little? He's gonna be 35 next season. Anyone that comes to Tampa, takes a discount. I literally just heard on Lightning Power Play (Lightning's radio station) talk about Karlsson's deal with us will likely in his old contract pay range, like $6-6.5M. Before Pavelski's $6M deal, he had a $4M deal. I thought $4M was too much but I went high cause he is a UFA. What do you think we could sign him for on a year to year deal?
May 28, 2019 at 11:49 p.m.
Burnzie88
Quoting: drumr0213
Too much or too little? He's gonna be 35 next season. Anyone that comes to Tampa, takes a discount. I literally just heard on Lightning Power Play (Lightning's radio station) talk about Karlsson's deal with us will likely in his old contract pay range, like $6-6.5M. Before Pavelski's $6M deal, he had a $4M deal. I thought $4M was too much but I went high cause he is a UFA. What do you think we could sign him for on a year to year deal?

Well I'm a Sharks fan but I think if he left San Jose he would go for around 5-7 million
May 29, 2019 at 11:50 p.m.
Quoting: TheBeardOfBurns
Well I'm a Sharks fan but I think if he left San Jose he would go for around 5-7 million

Congrats on y'alls great season. You went a lot deeper than we did in the playoffs. If you are right on 5-7M than he is too much for us. Sharks should be a fun offseason to watch smile
May 30, 2019 at 12:13 a.m.
Burnzie88
Congrats on y'alls great season. You went a lot deeper than we did in the playoffs. If you are right on 5-7M than he is too much for us. Sharks should be a fun offseason to watch smile

Yep, lots of moves
drumr0213 liked this.
May 30, 2019 at 6:23 a.m.
Quote:
However, rumor is Bolts are working on a 3 yr bridge deal for a lot cheaper Cap

I really like that, and it makes a lot of sense. Give him his big payday once both Johnson and Palat contract will be over. And it guves you a better chance to sign EK this offseason + having more cap for the 2020 RFAs

-Subban? A pass for me.
- I'd add Cirelli to the untouchable list
-Kessel and Pavs, ehhh. Kessel will be 32 at the start of the season, pavs 35. I'd pass.
May 30, 2019 at 7:21 p.m.
Quoting: Zwui21
Quote:
However, rumor is Bolts are working on a 3 yr bridge deal for a lot cheaper Cap

I really like that, and it makes a lot of sense. Give him his big payday once both Johnson and Palat contract will be over. And it guves you a better chance to sign EK this offseason + having more cap for the 2020 RFAs

-Subban? A pass for me.
-Kessel and Pavs, ehhh. Kessel will be 32 at the start of the season, pavs 35. I'd pass.

Great feedback. I agree on Cirelli being untouchable. The crazy thing is a few years ago, we thought Johnson was untouchable, then Point came along. Now Johnson is tradeable and we want to lock up Point long term. Watch in a year or 2, Cirelli will surpass Point and we will want Tony signed long term. Crazy how the young guys come in and outperform the big money guys. Cirelli was one of the few who actually showed up the playoffs for us this year. That would be a great argument to bridge Point... I say all that BUT I want Point signed to an 8 yr. At least a 5 yr which puts his contract ending when Stamkos's ends. I think Point is the real deal for years to come.

Also, I would love to hear what you think of the superstar swagger idea. Someone to change the psyche of our team. Someone to say, "last yr was last yr, I'm here now and we are gonna dominate and go win us a cup."
Zwui21 and matulix liked this.
May 30, 2019 at 9:15 p.m.

-Subban? A pass for me.

Great feedback. I agree on Cirelli being untouchable. The crazy thing is a few years ago, we thought Johnson was untouchable, then Point came along. Now Johnson is tradeable and we want to lock up Point long term. Watch in a year or 2, Cirelli will surpass Point and we will want Tony signed long term. Crazy how the young guys come in and outperform the big money guys. Cirelli was one of the few who actually showed up the playoffs for us this year. That would be a great argument to bridge Point... I say all that BUT I want Point signed to an 8 yr. At least a 5 yr which puts his contract ending when Stamkos's ends. I think Point is the real deal for years to come.

Also, I would love to hear what you think of the superstar swagger idea. Someone to change the psyche of our team. Someone to say, "last yr was last yr, I'm here now and we are gonna dominate and go win us a cup."

Oh I fully agree on Point being the real deal for years to come, if there was no salary cap to manage I'd sign him for the rest of his career hahaha. Jokes aside I could also see him being signed to a 5 years, 8M AAV deal. Fair contract that, as you said, locks him up until Stammer contract is over. To be honest what i don't see is Tampa signing him max term, the cap hit would probably be too high. In my opinion both 3 or 5 years make the most sense.

I can see your "swagger" argument, but in my opinion after this year's debacle, the boys need an important addition to the roster. Doesn't matter if it's swagger or flow. To bring the guys back boosted morally and physically, excited about what's next and in order to wash away that failure feeling asap.
I cannot deny that I've been dreaming of Karlsson joining Tampa since last year's july when we all saw that "I'm told that Karlsson to Tampa is a done deal".
Adding him to the roster would incredibly hype our guys up + we'd gain a player that can get us to beat the 1-2-2 trap.
And, when an all star player like karlsson wants to play for your team, you gotta find a way to make the money work. Especially if he'd be willing to take a paycut.

My perfect offseason?
- re-sign Point
- unload one of Palat/Johnson/Gourde
- sign EK65
- once the roster is set for the 2019/20 season, get Vas and Cirelli extended already
May 30, 2019 at 9:16 p.m.
[.
May 30, 2019 at 9:52 p.m.
Quoting: Zwui21
Oh I fully agree on Point being the real deal for years to come, if there was no salary cap to manage I'd sign him for the rest of his career hahaha. Jokes aside I could also see him being signed to a 5 years, 8M AAV deal. Fair contract that, as you said, locks him up until Stammer contract is over. To be honest what i don't see is Tampa signing him max term, the cap hit would probably be too high. In my opinion both 3 or 5 years make the most sense.

I can see your "swagger" argument, but in my opinion after this year's debacle, the boys need an important addition to the roster. Doesn't matter if it's swagger or flow. To bring the guys back boosted morally and physically, excited about what's next and in order to wash away that failure feeling asap.
I cannot deny that I've been dreaming of Karlsson joining Tampa since last year's july when we all saw that "I'm told that Karlsson to Tampa is a done deal".
Adding him to the roster would incredibly hype our guys up + we'd gain a player that can get us to beat the 1-2-2 trap.
And, when an all star player like karlsson wants to play for your team, you gotta find a way to make the money work. Especially if he'd be willing to take a paycut.

My perfect offseason?
- re-sign Point
- unload one of Palat/Johnson/Gourde
- sign EK65
- once the roster is set for the 2019/20 season, get Vas and Cirelli extended already

Wow what an offseason that would be. JBB GM of the year before the season starts ha. I think Point will get resigned. I think 3 mid-cap ppl will leave. My guess: Callahan will be real soon, like in a few days. The last rumor I saw was Cally to Chicago and another roster player is involved but I don't know who and which team. My guess is Paquette. He had his best season yet and I bet we sell high. Who knows if he can duplicate last year. After Cally, I think Palat will go next, the rumor is many teams have asked about him. Last of my 3 is JT Miller. Gourde would be more logical b/c of his NTC that will kick in, however, our front office doesn't want to sign players to NTC then trade them before it kicks in, that looks really bad to the players. So I think it will be Miller cause of his NTC is modified. Signing EK65, I agree if he really wants to be here that bad and will sign for around his previous cap hit (6-6.5M) range than even though some cheaper options are available, I agree you have to sign him at that price. I would prefer trading JT Miller for a RHD like Justin Faulk, Jarod Spurgeon, TJ Brodie, etc. They have one year left which gives Foote one more year at Syracuse to develop. I agree JBB is waiting to extend Cirelli and Vasy once he knows how much he has to work with meaning fills out this year's roster.

BTW Imagine our opening night starting line up:
Stamkos - Point - Kucherov
Hedman & Karlsson
Vasilevskiy
It is an all-star team!
note I moved Stammer to wing to promote Cirelli. 2nd line how about Joseph - Cirelli - Johnson.
Zwui21 liked this.
May 31, 2019 at 6:51 a.m.
Wow what an offseason that would be. JBB GM of the year before the season starts ha. I think Point will get resigned. I think 3 mid-cap ppl will leave. My guess: Callahan will be real soon, like in a few days. The last rumor I saw was Cally to Chicago and another roster player is involved but I don't know who and which team. My guess is Paquette. He had his best season yet and I bet we sell high. Who knows if he can duplicate last year. After Cally, I think Palat will go next, the rumor is many teams have asked about him. Last of my 3 is JT Miller. Gourde would be more logical b/c of his NTC that will kick in, however, our front office doesn't want to sign players to NTC then trade them before it kicks in, that looks really bad to the players. So I think it will be Miller cause of his NTC is modified. Signing EK65, I agree if he really wants to be here that bad and will sign for around his previous cap hit (6-6.5M) range than even though some cheaper options are available, I agree you have to sign him at that price. I would prefer trading JT Miller for a RHD like Justin Faulk, Jarod Spurgeon, TJ Brodie, etc. They have one year left which gives Foote one more year at Syracuse to develop. I agree JBB is waiting to extend Cirelli and Vasy once he knows how much he has to work with meaning fills out this year's roster.

BTW Imagine our opening night starting line up:
Stamkos - Point - Kucherov
Hedman & Karlsson
Vasilevskiy
It is an all-star team!
note I moved Stammer to wing to promote Cirelli. 2nd line how about Joseph - Cirelli - Johnson.

You definitely getting me excited here!
1) If BriseBois will be able to move Callahan by only giving up Paquette's rights, it would be amazing.
2) Being able to "get rid of" Pally (I used to like him very much, but his regression during the last couple of years has been astonishing) would be a blessing. And if that happens, we're set.
I know that our front office doesn't want to sign players and trade them before their NTC kicks in, but in the case scenario it could be a make or break situation. But if Pally waives, we are set and Gourde can stay (also because he was the one I liked the most to complete the Point-Kucherov line). Very nice that many teams have inquired for Pally.
Then yeah, JT Miller may go, even tho if we unload Cally and Palat we'd find ourself with 20M in cap space. Bring up Volkov, Verhaeghe and you still have all the money to re-sign Point to a 5 years deal of around 8M + Karlsson at 7.75M (I doubt he'd go 6.5M low, in my opinion the contract would be something similar to Hedman's).
Which would set us up for glory in the 2020 offseason, having Killorn and JT Miller contracts that can be moved (hence freeing up another 9.7M cap space) + the salary cap going up + Calre's 1.83M coming off the books.

If we are able to trade Pally away, we are set big times!

I don't know about Cirelli in the top six, I'd be kind of scared he explodes and we have to pay him BIG money next offseason hahaha. I'd keep him 3C this season, with TyJo on the wing, to give us some amazing depth in the lineup. And if JT Miller stays, I hope to see him in a top six role, the dude has a ton of potential IMO and Cooper hasn't been using him as much as he could.
My ideal lineup, if the changes we've talked about happen, is the following:

Volkov - Stamkos - JT Miller
Gourde - Point - Kuch
Killorn - Cirelli - Johnson
Joseph - Verhaeghe - Erne

Hedman - Cernak
McDonagh - Karlsson
Sergachev - Rutta
Masin

I think that Foote will have another year in Syracuse, unless he impresses the FO to an extent in training camp. We have a history of giving prospect a good amount of time to develop and it has paid off so far. (unless, as it happened with Cernak, due to an injury Foote gets called up and impresses so much that we can't send him back down)
The lineup for opening night you mentioned would be a dream! It is kind of mind blowing to think that in the cap era we could actually pull that off, while not being in cap hell!
drumr0213 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll