Forums/Armchair-GM

Big changes

Created by: arafay
Team: 2019-20 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 7, 2019
Published: Jun. 8, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
...in the thought process of management/coaches. At this point they are almost forced to. Roslovic our future 2C isn’t happy and who knows who else. Laine needs to be kept happy, etc. We are a draft and develop team who needs to keep their talent because no matter how good we are, we are usually at the top of no trade lists.

Though I am confident in our management, I just hope that they realize this soon, otherwise it may be too late.

I get that philly fans may say that Myers is off limits but you are getting a top pairing RHD who is one of the best in his own zone in the whole league. If brannstrom can be traded for a top rw, rhd have more value and, I’m sorry to break it to you phi fans but, Myers is no brannstrom. Philly has already said that they want to contend while giroux can still lead them, and with no more visible holes (other than 2C) this team could finally break out. They need a top pairing rhd and a 2C. Instead of waiting the 3-4 years it will take for Myers to POTENTIALLY become as good as what they could get in Trouba, they trade for Trouba and are able to contend in the giroux era

As for the mtl trade, kulikov is a 5/6 d being paid like a 2nd pairing one. He about 1.5 to 2 million overpaid. Comrie is an enticing prospect who is ready for a backup role and has starter potential (if grubauer doesn’t stay, he’s the man) anyways, the avs need a backup, assuming that varlamov is gone as a UFA. Francouz can’t just be handed the job and I think that he would beat francouz for it. The avs also get a 3rd for their troubles of probably buying kulikov out.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$7,350,000
3$2,200,000
2$7,150,000
1$2,200,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
Trades
WPG
  1. Gudas, Radko
  2. Myers, Philippe
  3. 2020 1st round pick (PHI)
Additional Details:
2020 1st conditional on Trouba signing long-term (top 10 protected) (philly only does this if they feel they have a very good chance of signing him)
PHI
  1. Trouba, Jacob [RFA Rights]
WPG
  1. 2019 7th round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Comrie, Eric [RFA Rights]
  2. Kulikov, Dmitry
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (WPG)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$78,446,390$0$405,000$4,553,610
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,350,000$7,350,000
LW
UFA - 7
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
UFA - 5
$7,150,000$7,150,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,200,000$2,200,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,916,667$2,916,667
C
UFA - 2
$741,667$741,667
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,150,000$3,150,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$2,345,000$2,345,000
RD
UFA - 1
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 5
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$7,600,000$7,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,225,000$1,225,000
G
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000 (Performance Bonus$60,000$60K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$678,889$678,889
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
RD
UFA - 2
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, C, LW
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 8, 2019 at 12:45 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
It doesn't sound like management really does know what's going on, from the rumors going around and looking at their subsequent roster decisions I've lost faith in them.
This teams leadership group is anything but, all three of them need to be stripped of their letters and quite possibly traded as well if this team is ever to improve.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 12:54 a.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
It doesn't sound like management really does know what's going on, from the rumors going around and looking at their subsequent roster decisions I've lost faith in them.
This teams leadership group is anything but, all three of them need to be stripped of their letters and quite possibly traded as well if this team is ever to improve.

The guys with the letters still preformed. They were not the problem. The problem comes naturally with a young team. They started to slack off when they were 2nd-3rd in the league with a large cushion. The leadership showed it has what it takes with the lengthy run last season. Maurice needs to use the regular season to develop chemistry between lines. And then not change them as soon as they stop working. Every good team has had the same lines for extended periods of time but for Maurice, the only lines he keeps constant is the 1st, and even that has a consistently changing LW. Coaching needs to refine its approach slightly. I am not saying we should fire Maurice, but that may be necessary if he doesn’t change.
RFS_90 liked this.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 12:55 a.m.
I think we will see bigger changes than this... Though, I don't agree with MisstheWhalers, that the sky is falling and Scheifele and Wheeler are the team's problem... I think everything will be done to get Bryan Little and Matt Perreault off this roster.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 12:58 a.m.
Quoting: McMannis90
I think we will see bigger changes than this... Though, I don't agree with MisstheWhalers, that the sky is falling and Scheifele and Wheeler are the team's problem... I think everything will be done to get Bryan Little and Matt Perreault off this roster.

Perreault yes. Little, I doubt it. Little has managements loyalty and I really do think that he will retire as a jet. He is also a victim of a tough situation. He is a good 2C but he is consistently put with the only winger that he cannot play with, laine. He went off for 21 points in 20 games when Laine was playing on different lines. He is fine imo
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 1:02 a.m.
Quoting: arafay
Perreault yes. Little, I doubt it. Little has managements loyalty and I really do think that he will retire as a jet. He is also a victim of a tough situation. He is a good 2C but he is consistently put with the only winger that he cannot play with, laine. He went off for 21 points in 20 games when Laine was playing on different lines. He is fine imo

There comes a time when you have to make tough choices as an organization... The fact that Little can't find Chemistry with Laine is a tough look for him. Laine is going to be the priority, and you can't pay a guy $5.2 Mil to play 3C. Time to move on.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 2:12 a.m.
There comes a time when you have to make tough choices as an organization... The fact that Little can't find Chemistry with Laine is a tough look for him. Laine is going to be the priority, and you can't pay a guy $5.2 Mil to play 3C. Time to move on.

I mean the team who is one win away from winning the cup has a 3C making 5 mil and a 4th line winger making 5.75
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 8:53 a.m.
Ace708
As a flyers fan I think that is a fair trade and would pull the trigger. Well done.
arafay liked this.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 8:58 a.m.
I mean the team who is one win away from winning the cup has a 3C making 5 mil and a 4th line winger making 5.75

They also have 2 goalies making less that Helle combined... And nobody making more that $7.5 Mil.... And David Perron and Patrick Maroon putting up numbers, making $4 and $1.75 Mil respectively. Unless Winnipeg is going to get value like that, they can't afford to carry Bryan Little's salary... At least not long-term... They might be able to make it fit for one more year, but with more young players coming off their ELC next year... And Josh Morrissey needing a major raise, it just doesn't fit.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 9:25 a.m.
MisstheWhalers

St.Louis is paying Bozak $5M to be their 3C and they're a win away from being Stanley Cup Champions, they're also paying Alex Steen $5.75M to be a 4th line LW, way too much gets made of contracts sometimes! Little can and should be kept, he's not the problem, he should probably be wearing a letter actually.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 9:27 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
They also have 2 goalies making less that Helle combined... And nobody making more that $7.5 Mil.... And David Perron and Patrick Maroon putting up numbers, making $4 and $1.75 Mil respectively. Unless Winnipeg is going to get value like that, they can't afford to carry Bryan Little's salary... At least not long-term... They might be able to make it fit for one more year, but with more young players coming off their ELC next year... And Josh Morrissey needing a major raise, it just doesn't fit.

Well Hellys overpayment is an issue too, won't be long and fans will be screaming about him. He's just not a very good goalie, Binnington is far better than Helly.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 9:29 a.m.
MisstheWhalers

Yeah Little did pretty well all things considered, his numbers plummeted when he was put on the black hole 3rd line with Tanev and Lowry which is no surprise.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 9:42 a.m.
Banned
Fletcher already said that Myers is't being dealt. So Myers isn't happening especially for Trouba.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 9:42 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
The guys with the letters still preformed. They were not the problem. The problem comes naturally with a young team. They started to slack off when they were 2nd-3rd in the league with a large cushion. The leadership showed it has what it takes with the lengthy run last season. Maurice needs to use the regular season to develop chemistry between lines. And then not change them as soon as they stop working. Every good team has had the same lines for extended periods of time but for Maurice, the only lines he keeps constant is the 1st, and even that has a consistently changing LW. Coaching needs to refine its approach slightly. I am not saying we should fire Maurice, but that may be necessary if he doesn’t change.

That's the issue though Maurice doesn't run this team, Wheeler does.
He isn't the leader everyone thinks he is. The Jets aren't winning anything with him around.
Last year's run, funny how they brought in Hendricks in August, makes one wonder now how long these issues have been in the room.
Maurice should be fired though, he's just not a good coach and if his leadership group is running him well they've got a problem.
I don't care how good Buff and Wheeler are today, they're both 33 and make $15M combined, those contracts are disasters in the making.
As for Scheiffele I'm not sure if he can be salvaged, he's been under Wheeler's tutelage so it's hard to imagine anyone else having any respect for him.

In short, there's way more going on behind the scenes then we know and it all starts with 26,55+33.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 9:53 a.m.
Well Hellys overpayment is an issue too, won't be long and fans will be screaming about him. He's just not a very good goalie, Binnington is far better than Helly.

Hahahahaha. Helle is not overpaid. Perhaps Binnington should string together more than half a good season before we talk about him being "better" than anyone.

In reality, we're talking about two guys... Who are the same age... One has been nominated for a Vezina at a time when the other was sent to play for someone else's AHL team, in lieu of being sent to the ECHL.

Perhaps we should hold out, and see how next year shakes out to decide whether he's the next Matt Murray or Andrew Hammond.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 10:15 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Hahahahaha. Helle is not overpaid. Perhaps Binnington should string together more than half a good season before we talk about him being "better" than anyone.

In reality, we're talking about two guys... Who are the same age... One has been nominated for a Vezina at a time when the other was sent to play for someone else's AHL team, in lieu of being sent to the ECHL.

Perhaps we should hold out, and see how next year shakes out to decide whether he's the next Matt Murray or Andrew Hammond.

Helly had ONE good season and he got overpaid badly! His initial callup of 26 games was unimpressive, his rookie season was a disaster, like brutally bad disaster. He really lost them that season with how bad he was, Chevy blew it big time by not getting another goalie that season, they were playing solid defense and scored at will but Helly and Hutch couldn't stop anything, any average goalie would've gotten them into the playoffs.
So one good season, he got his payday and then he regressed back to what he is which is an average goalie. In all his time in Winnipeg I have yet to see him truly win a game on his own, that game this season against Vegas where Brossoit shut the door on them is something I have yet to see from Helly, by now he should've done that at least once. He's had some good games but none where he's "goalied" the opposition.
And yes Binnington is better, if Hellys the Blues goalie they don't get past the Jets.
It'll be interesting to see how next season goes with a different defense in front of him, he's really gonna have to earn his paycheck, does he have it in him to carry this team, I doubt it.

On a side note about Binnington almost getting sent to the ECHL, is that not an indictment of how bad scouting can be or what.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 10:21 a.m.
Helly had ONE good season and he got overpaid badly! His initial callup of 26 games was unimpressive, his rookie season was a disaster, like brutally bad disaster. He really lost them that season with how bad he was, Chevy blew it big time by not getting another goalie that season, they were playing solid defense and scored at will but Helly and Hutch couldn't stop anything, any average goalie would've gotten them into the playoffs.
So one good season, he got his payday and then he regressed back to what he is which is an average goalie. In all his time in Winnipeg I have yet to see him truly win a game on his own, that game this season against Vegas where Brossoit shut the door on them is something I have yet to see from Helly, by now he should've done that at least once. He's had some good games but none where he's "goalied" the opposition.
And yes Binnington is better, if Hellys the Blues goalie they don't get past the Jets.
It'll be interesting to see how next season goes with a different defense in front of him, he's really gonna have to earn his paycheck, does he have it in him to carry this team, I doubt it.

On a side note about Binnington almost getting sent to the ECHL, is that not an indictment of how bad scouting can be or what.

Oof... That's a tough take. "His rookie season was a disaster"... In reality... .918 SV % in 26 games.

This past season .913 in both the regular season and playoffs, while being the only NHL goalie to see over 2000 shots this season...
Jun. 8, 2019 at 10:28 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Oof... That's a tough take. "His rookie season was a disaster"... In reality... .918 SV % in 26 games.

This past season .913 in both the regular season and playoffs, while being the only NHL goalie to see over 2000 shots this season...

His 26 game stint was unimpressive but not a disaster, the following season was a disaster.

He did face a lot of rubber this season I'll give him that but lots of perimeter shots.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 12:11 p.m.
His 26 game stint was unimpressive but not a disaster, the following season was a disaster.

He did face a lot of rubber this season I'll give him that but lots of perimeter shots.

His first full season, he went 26-19-4 with a .907 sv%... 2-3 % points behind such terrible goalies as Marc Andre Fleury and Henrik Lundqvist.

Connor Hellebuyck being "overpaid" might be one of the all-time bad takes.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 12:29 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
His first full season, he went 26-19-4 with a .907 sv%... 2-3 % points behind such terrible goalies as Marc Andre Fleury and Henrik Lundqvist.

Connor Hellebuyck being "overpaid" might be one of the all-time bad takes.

Way too much stock put into save %, people look at it like it's the be all end all of goalie stats, it really doesn't tell the whole story of a goalies ability.

Give it time, Hellys one off season might be his one good season, plenty of goalies have looked good for awhile and didn't last in the league.

Goalies take time though, MAF as you mentioned looks better now then is his early years so who knows where Hellys game will go. A guy like Lundqvist still looks solid late into his 30's.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 12:39 p.m.
Way too much stock put into save %, people look at it like it's the be all end all of goalie stats, it really doesn't tell the whole story of a goalies ability.

Give it time, Hellys one off season might be his one good season, plenty of goalies have looked good for awhile and didn't last in the league.

Goalies take time though, MAF as you mentioned looks better now then is his early years so who knows where Hellys game will go. A guy like Lundqvist still looks solid late into his 30's.

Lol alright. Helle's game will be fine. He's a very solid goaltender... He's quiet in the net, confident, and positionally sound. If he can keep his sv % around the .915 point, with a sub 3 GAA for his career (as he has so far) he is worth every penny of his contract. Ideally he would play less than 60 games per season... should help keep his consistency up.

Again, not overpaid... and the notion of Binnington being better than him is just short of laughable. If Binnington can continue on the pace he's played this season into and through next season, then that conversation can be had.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 1:37 p.m.

I mean, scheifele is arguably the biggest contract steal in the league (close with mackinnon). Morrissey has way outproduced his bridge already. Laine, Connor, and all the other star elc’s we have been bennifitting from we’re dwfinitely steals. For a defencmen who can take a game over, buff is not overpaid (except for this injury riddled season). Ehlers is already showing to have potential as steal. Trouba’s one year deal was a big steal, etc
Jun. 8, 2019 at 1:39 p.m.
Yeah Little did pretty well all things considered, his numbers plummeted when he was put on the black hole 3rd line with Tanev and Lowry which is no surprise.

In fact that is not true. He had 3 point in 5 games and was a plus 6. I just didn’t like that line because of the beatings little took on it. He is not a grinder and it shows when he plays with those guys
Jun. 8, 2019 at 1:42 p.m.
That's the issue though Maurice doesn't run this team, Wheeler does.
He isn't the leader everyone thinks he is. The Jets aren't winning anything with him around.
Last year's run, funny how they brought in Hendricks in August, makes one wonder now how long these issues have been in the room.
Maurice should be fired though, he's just not a good coach and if his leadership group is running him well they've got a problem.
I don't care how good Buff and Wheeler are today, they're both 33 and make $15M combined, those contracts are disasters in the making.
As for Scheiffele I'm not sure if he can be salvaged, he's been under Wheeler's tutelage so it's hard to imagine anyone else having any respect for him.

In short, there's way more going on behind the scenes then we know and it all starts with 26,55+33.

Players do not run hockey teams. The coach does. Wheeler is a great leader and has been proven throughout the years. He is the perfect model for the team the jets want. I like wheeler as a leader and he should not be blamed because he can influence people but he can’t force them to do stuff. A leader is meant to lead, which wheeler has done, its the players’ choice To follow

As for Maurice, if he doesn’t fix his issues, he will be gone. He is getting close to the hot seat if he isn’t there already.

The buff contract has proven that it’s fine up to date (except for the injuries) it only has 2 years left
The wheeler one scares me though, he has a very rough first half but I am hoping he is more of the player he was in the 2nd half. If he is, then that contract won’t be a problem for at least a few years. However, it was 1 year too long
Jun. 8, 2019 at 1:55 p.m.

Helly was great in the 2nd half. He is the reason we still won games. He had a bad start but turned it on when we needed it. You also have to realize that binnington only has to make the first save, after which the stl defence cleaned up. Helly had to make initial saves, then saves on rebounds. Helly’s rough season is in a large part because of he poor defence which is a result of a lack of commitment. Binnington has also not played 60 games for 2 straight seasons. Maybe helly’s problem is just fatigue. Last year he played at a level better than binnington is now. Considering what Bobrovsky is about to get, helly should be considered a steal at this point.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 1:56 p.m.

He means the season after, where he was in fact miserable

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll