Forums/Armchair-GM

Sharkies feel good story

Created by: slepler
Team: 2019-20 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 14, 2019
Published: Jun. 14, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
1. Patty is traded to a team like Arizona, bought out, then signs in SJ for 1M to play alongside his buddy Joe.

2. Karlsson signs long term, beating doughty money.

3. Sharks have Burns/Karlsson as RHD, so braun gets moved. Value in return is lower because he is packaged with either Dell or Melker Karlsson. Dell, braun, and Karlsson moved for whatever dougie can get (bag of pucks).

4. Pavs resigns at 3 yrs 7M. Slight hometown discount. Might need to add a 4th year to keep the AAV down.

5. Kids gets a full look. Best 2 or 3 of Gambrell, Chmelevski, Chekhovich, Blichfeld, True, Perron, Suomela, Gregor, Kellman, Yurtayin, etc make the roster.

Top 6 are solid with Pavs, cooch, hertl, meier, Kane, and Labanc. Bottom 6 are open for young players to step up.

With so much money wrapped up in burns/karlsson/vlasic, the sharks will have to bring young forwards into the lineup with regularity.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,000,000
2$5,000,000
2$900,000
1$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$11,200,000
3$7,000,000
1$1,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Marleau, Patrick
1$1,000,000
Trades
SJS
  1. 2020 7th round pick (NYI)
SJS
  1. 2019 4th round pick (SJS)
  2. 2020 7th round pick (DAL)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$79,180,750$660,750$342,500$3,819,250
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 8
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 3
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Marleau, Patrick
$1,000,000$1,000,000
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$776,667$776,667 (Performance Bonus$160,000$160K)
C, LW
UFA - 3
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
C
RFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$675,000$675,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$5,750,000$5,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$11,200,000$11,200,000
RD
UFA - 8
$723,333$723,333
G
RFA - 2
$1,635,000$1,635,000
LD
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$735,000$735,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 14, 2019 at 4:12 p.m.
I love this! Make it so
Jun. 14, 2019 at 4:14 p.m.
oh how i suffer
Edited Jun. 14, 2019 at 4:55 p.m.
While I like a lot about this there's a couple of problems:

1) PDB wouldn't play Ryan in that position - it's just never going to happen. You'd need to sub in Heed or another RD.

2) Neither Chekhovich nor Chmelevski are going to start the season in a Sharks jersey. The prospect scrimmage is on the 28th (I'm excited for it!) and we'll see what they bring at that point, but it's a 99.9% chance that they start out on the Cuda. Whether or not they stay there is debatable, but the way that Doug Wilson runs his club is with the new kids working their way up. I get what you're saying about the 4th line - I just think it's more likely that established Cuda work in there.

3) The backup goalie situation is going to be a problem. From having watched his play this last season with the Cuda, I wouldn't think he's ready & needs at least one more year down - but Bibeau is streaky and seems to have a little bit of a temper problem. :/

Either way, I don't think that very many Sharks fans want Patty back to play. Jumbo had a damn fine season playing with two fast, young dudes who he could feed pucks to - Patty is neither of those things at this point. I'd love to have him back for a one day contract so he can retire in teal, but other than that, no, thank you. Hard pass.
Jun. 14, 2019 at 5:03 p.m.
sjsharks82
Quoting: bunnymcfoo

1) PDB wouldn't play Ryan in that position - it's just never going to happen. You'd need to sub in Heed or another RD.

2) Neither Chekhovich nor Chmelevski are going to start the season in a Sharks jersey. The prospect scrimmage is on the 28th (I'm excited for it!) and we'll see what they bring at that point, but it's a 99.9% chance that they start out on the Cuda. Whether or not they stay there is debatable, but the way that Doug Wilson runs his club is with the new kids working their way up.

3) The backup goalie situation is going to be a problem. From having watched his play this last season with the Cuda, I wouldn't think he's ready & needs at least one more year down - but Bibeau is streaky and seems to have a little bit of a temper problem. :/

Either way, I don't think that very many Sharks fans want Patty back to play. Jumbo had a damn fine season playing with two fast, young dudes who he could feed pucks to - Patty is neither of those things at this point. I'd love to have him back for a one day contract so he can retire in teal, but other than that, no, thank you. Hard pass.

Thanks for the good thoughts!

1. I think you might be right about Ryan, and perhaps one of the cuda (roy, wood, or disimone) might get a look. If EK65 comes back, the 6th and 7th D spots are just not major considerations. They can always sign some vet off the trash heap.
2. Chekhovich looked almost NHL ready last preseason. I think you may be right about getting the Chwins line 1 minutes on the cuda first. They certainly wont be press box riders. However, I also wouldnt be shocked to see one make the team. I think there will be alot of competition among young forwards for roster space. its much easier to acquire a middle 6 forward throughout the season than a top liner or a top Dman if needed.

3. Backup goalie is always a bit tricky. Korenar and Bibeau are not spectacular, but I think they need to save the 1M for that position. Acquiring a backup goalie mid year is also pretty easy (like Reimer in 2016).

4. I agree that patty is not particularly good now. Jumbo got rather exposed in the PO's too. Still, for 1M, I think it's worth it. Sharks fans definitely still want to see patty and jumbo for one more year, just not at 6M/yr. But for 1M, his veteran presence on the 3rd or 4th lines is worth it. And don't underestimate the importance of character in the locker room. Having patty back would give another great mentor for the young forwards coming up. It's definitely a real possibility...

if the only problems with the roster are depth Dmen, backup goalies, and what kids make the team, then that's pretty nice!
Jun. 14, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.

2) Neither Chekhovich nor Chmelevski are going to start the season in a Sharks jersey. The prospect scrimmage is on the 28th (I'm excited for it!) and we'll see what they bring at that point, but it's a 99.9% chance that they start out on the Cuda. Whether or not they stay there is debatable, but the way that Doug Wilson runs his club is with the new kids working their way up. I get what you're saying about the 4th line - I just think it's more likely that established Cuda work in there.

It's not going to happen, not at $1 mill., but I bet Patty gets back to 20-25 goals w/ Jumbo as his Center, even on the 3rd Line.
bunnymcfoo liked this.
Jun. 14, 2019 at 5:56 p.m.
oh how i suffer
Quoting: slepler
Thanks for the good thoughts!

1. I think you might be right about Ryan, and perhaps one of the cuda (roy, wood, or disimone) might get a look. If EK65 comes back, the 6th and 7th D spots are just not major considerations. They can always sign some vet off the trash heap.
2. Chekhovich looked almost NHL ready last preseason. I think you may be right about getting the Chwins line 1 minutes on the cuda first. They certainly wont be press box riders. However, I also wouldnt be shocked to see one make the team. I think there will be alot of competition among young forwards for roster space. its much easier to acquire a middle 6 forward throughout the season than a top liner or a top Dman if needed.

3. Backup goalie is always a bit tricky. Korenar and Bibeau are not spectacular, but I think they need to save the 1M for that position. Acquiring a backup goalie mid year is also pretty easy (like Reimer in 2016).

4. I agree that patty is not particularly good now. Jumbo got rather exposed in the PO's too. Still, for 1M, I think it's worth it. Sharks fans definitely still want to see patty and jumbo for one more year, just not at 6M/yr. But for 1M, his veteran presence on the 3rd or 4th lines is worth it. And don't underestimate the importance of character in the locker room. Having patty back would give another great mentor for the young forwards coming up. It's definitely a real possibility...

if the only problems with the roster are depth Dmen, backup goalies, and what kids make the team, then that's pretty nice!

1. I would really like to see DeSimone given a shot, or even Roy (though I'm not sure he's ever going to make the NHL, which is a real ****ing pity) but I think you're right that if EK65 comes back it's far less pressing that the 3rd pairing be rock solid - especially if Šimek comes back as strong as he was last season & still has that same magic with Burns. I'm not personally a huge fan of Ryan, but I bet we could get a decent pick for him, given that GMs were calling about him at the last trade deadline & that was with him mostly having been in the press box all season.

2. I'm completely not betting against either of the Chwins (bless, I take it you're actually a Sharks fan then?) making the roster, but if they do it'll probably be in the same way that Šimek made it - they'll earn their way in after a tryout period & probably spending some time playing with the Cuda so Doug & PDB can get together with Sommer and really rate their play at the professional level. (I'm really excited to see what they can do on the 28th in person & I'm hoping for big things from them. We need them to be good!)

3. Oh, 100%, Dell has got to go. I think he still has potential - when he first started playing for the Sharks org as a whole I was very impressed with his reflexes & he was FINE in 17-18 - but I do think he needs a change of scenery and a new coach. (Actually, I would love love love to see the Sharks with a new goalie coach, but that's neither here nor there.) I'm looking forward to seeing what Shortridge might bring to the table this year with the Cuda, but yeah. It's tricky & bringing in an inexpensive replacement from outside the org might be the way to go. :/

4. I just dunno - you're not wrong about Jumbo getting exposed in the playoffs, but I'm not sure that Patty would be much of a solution. And hey, if you're wanting to talk about locker room presence we've already got two vets who are already doing the Lord's work with the kids. I'm pretty sure that Labanc & Sörensen in particular think that Jumbo hung the moon, and you only need to look at round 1 game 7 and round 2 game 5 to see what Pavelski means to the entire team....

Maybe I and my friends are just still salty as hell that Patty left in the first place? That's certainly a real possibility, and I don't discount it. There's a not insignificant part of me that just thinks that he made his bed and now he should lie in it, especially since I'm not convinced that he'd be much of a help to the team as a whole & would rather see what someone like Goodrow could do with a year on Jumbo's wing & with his mentoring.
Jun. 14, 2019 at 5:57 p.m.
oh how i suffer
Quoting: NjAHeRtL48
It's not going to happen, not at $1 mill., but I bet Patty gets back to 20-25 goals w/ Jumbo as his Center, even on the 3rd Line.

I dunno man, I just don't feel like the two of them together would necessarily have the same touch that they had years ago. It's been a while (and a couple of knees) since they played together....
Jun. 14, 2019 at 10:59 p.m.
The backup goalie needs to be addressed in Free agency.
PDB dislike Ryan
Marleau .. no thanks. he can raise the cup in Toronto
There will be plenty of 30 ish guys looking for jobs under 1.5M to be had. no need to rush the Cuda
Jul. 1, 2019 at 5:22 a.m.
Backup Goalie IS tricky. 1 Pete doesn't play his backup enough, so... we need a better backup, but will Pete change? We could use the extra mill. from Dell, that's why I think they'll dump him to a team that has cap space for a Draft pick. Then, after the dust settles a little, see what's left in FA & hope. Maybe a S.Darling type, I really don't know what they're going to do? Cuda coach seems to like our goalies, so...
Jul. 1, 2019 at 5:24 a.m.
I dunno man, I just don't feel like the two of them together would necessarily have the same touch that they had years ago. It's been a while (and a couple of knees) since they played together....
Patty still skating well & he can still shoot, just needs someone like Jumbo to get him the puck.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 11:34 p.m.
oh how i suffer
Quoting: NjAHeRtL48
Patty still skating well & he can still shoot, just needs someone like Jumbo to get him the puck.

He's slow as hell tho :/

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll