SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

@Kotkanemo's 2019 NHL Mock Draft

@Kotkanemo's 2019 NHL Mock Draft

Draft Class: 2019
Created By: alex74
Published: Jun. 19, 2019 at 7:30 p.m.
Description
Welcome to my 2019 NHL Mock Draft through the first two rounds including quick scouting reports for the first round picks (elaborated more on lesser known players as the top ranked guys are well known). I used team needs, BPA (A mix of the consensus and my own rankings), the player's current play level, and his future potential to make my picks. Enjoy the read and leave your thoughts!
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the New Jersey Devils-Tough decision for the #1 pick but the Devils opt for Jack Hughes who will undoubtedly be their future franchise C. He's an elite skater who makes everyone around him better. His creativity is unmatched. Not to mention his vision and puck skills that are just as elite. His deadly shot certainly shouldn't be forgotten either. He's ready for Top 6 minutes and will be a big calder candidate for next season.
2Logo of the New York Rangers-The Rangers get more than just a consolation prize in Kaapo Kakko. He's a winger with no real flaws and a pro ready game, in fact, he's also real good down the middle. The Finn could easily make a case to go 1st overall. No doubt about it, Kakko will be the Rangers' franchise player. Possibly the smartest forward of the draft. He does it all, quite literally, and in elite fashion. Don't be surprised to see him slot into NYR's top 6 and have a memorable rookie season as soon as next season either.
3Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-The Blackhawks select a C built for the new NHL in Alex Turcotte. Elite skater, IQ, puck skills, compete, and 200 foot game. Standing at 5'11, he's shown to play much bigger than his size and in such a dominating way. His injury hampered season may have lowered him on some draft boards, but he'd be a wise pick nonetheless with what he's shown when healthy. A case can be made to pick Byram instead, but the Hawks already have an impressive crop of young D whereas their forward prospects aren't up to par and it's not like one is better than the other as I see both in a tier of their own. Future 1C without question.
4Logo of the Colorado AvalancheLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsColorado takes the BPA who just so happens to be the best defenseman of the draft class in Bowen Byram. An incredibly poised player who drives his team's offense from the blue line. An elite skater with incredible top speed and playmaking ability, the skilled dman also possesses a heavy shot that netted him 34 goals in 89 games with the Giants this season, it can definitely be very valuable to any team and their PP. His defensive play and physicality are also a very good. A future 1D in the making who can completely compliment the Avs' already impressive crop of young D. I can see the Avs going for Cozens or Zegras too but passing up on Byram is tough. I think they'll take their time and fill in that 2C spot in other ways. Byram is just a talent that you've got to grab if you're in a position to do so.
5Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-LA take C Dylan Cozens at #5. Cozens is a smooth skating big bodied centerman who has a lot to like about his game, notably his goal scoring abilities. A player with a big drive, Cozens is tough to knock the puck off of. He provides crisp passes and a solid 200 foot game. Definitely a high ceiling on this player who can become an above average 1st liner in the league, either at C or on the wing.
6Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-t's no secret that Detroit can use goal scoring, they already have FIlip Zadina in the pipeline and they look to add an even more natural finisher in Cole Caufield with the 6th overall pick. The diminutive winger is goals, goals, and more GOALS. Oh and did I mention goals? It's not even a joke at this point, as soon as he gets the puck on his stick in the offensive zone, you already know it's ending up behind the goalie. It's thanks to the best shot in the class, his offensive IQ, timing, and positioning. Sure, there are concerns over his size, but even though he's only 5'7, you'll see Caufield much more implied physically with his compete level than you would in a 6'4 Lavoie. I really think this guy can become one of the premier goal scorers in the league someday.
7Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-The Sabres pick a tantalizing C who oozes offensive talent in Trevor Zegras at 7. With arguably the best vision and playmaking abilities in the draft, it's no wonder he's my favourite prospect in the class. Skates similarly to Marner with great edgework and agility, his top speed is also very impressive. Possessing some elite hands too, Zegras is super flashy AND gets things done like a lot of superstars in the league. His overall IQ and two way play are also very good. Zegras, for me at least, has the highest offensive potential in the draft aside from Jack Hughes. I can see him and Cozens being interchangeable in this mock but I think the Kings would go for the safer pick. Anyways, Zegras definitely has the tools to be up there with the jaw-dropping superstars in the league.
8Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-The Oilers select forward Peyton Krebs with their first round pick, that is if they decide to keep it. Krebs is pretty underrated considering how horrible Kootenay was this season. Peyton is an extremely skilled and elusive player who can drive the play like the elite in the league. His elite IQ and vision stand out in every shift, and that makes his linesmates better. Also, a decent two-way player. Not only a skilled player, Krebs plays the game in a very cerebral way too, he knows where to be and when as his anticipation of the play is extremely well-perceived. He won't be a huge goal scorer, but his playmaking along with his other tools are just too good to pass on. If a team is really keen on these attributes then I could've seen him climb into the top 5, if it weren't for his recent injury/surgery, it would be all the more likely. Another high ceiling player, but with a pretty high floor too. Top 6 F no question, whether it be at C or on LW. Again, I doubt Edmonton keeps this pick, but Krebs makes tons of sense if they want to pull a short retool, his recent injury might scare some teams away, but if the Oilers are smart and patient, which I doubt they will be, they'll get a guy who will be a big time player in Krebs. Rumours suggest that they really like Philip Broberg and if that is the case then I hope for their sake that they trade down as it would be a very foolish pick this high.
9Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Anaheim select winger Matthew Boldy at #9. Boldy is a silky player who possesses incredible hands, vision, creativity, speed, an accurate shot and a 200 foot game. A truly complete winger. He can drive the play and with an edge, something Anaheim can really benefit from especially after such a lackluster season from their old and slow team. He will join a great group of young prospects in their pipeline who will hopefully revitalize the team sooner than later and Matt might be the biggest piece. I see at least a top 6 forward in him who can develop into a 1st liner in due time.
10Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Vancouver pick big playmaking center Kirby Dach at 10. The right shot C is a cerebral player who possesses elite vision, playmaking ability and high hockey IQ. He's also a decent skater considering his size. His shot is also pretty underrated. However, as good as these traits are, I think his inconsistency and pace will keep him out of the top 5. He may end up becoming a "steal" if he manages to fix those problems, but I don't think teams will lose too much sleep over passing over him with the players I have ahead. Still, I think he'll be an above average Top 6 C in the league who just might be able to make himself into a top liner.
11Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-The Flyers might go a little off the board here at #11 since their forward depth is stacked both at the NHL level and in terms of prospects. So if they decide to keep the pick then I see them going for a RHD and one of the consensus top players in that position is German defenseman Moritz Seider. Victor Söderström is another viable option. Seider is a big and mobile defenseman who has some offensive upside to his game with a mix of physicality. He is an impressive skater considering his size and has good vision and a heavy shot, especially his slapper which will be a big weapon on the PP. He has a dynamic element in his game as he is very poised with the puck on his stick and stickhandles with ease to start up the transition. He has a sound D game as well with an active stick and good shot blocking but he sometimes get out of position to lay a punishing hit. Unfortunately, he didn't get to showcase most of these attributes in the DEL since he was pretty sheltered at his age. We did see his smarts and maturity in that time however which gives us a good idea of what he can be. But he get to show us what he's made of internationally with Germany in the Worlds recently which shot him up BIG TIME in many rankings. With a mature game like his, it won't be long before we see him in the NHL, taking him this early comes with some risk, as we don't know just how high/low his offensive ceiling is exactly, but it can pay off big time since he looks like a future top pairing guy in some short samples.
12Logo of the Minnesota Wild-The Wild run up to the podium to make this pick. They desperately need a future 1C and Alex Newhook can be that guy. In my opinion, this guy is a fringe top 5 talent so him making it this far would be an absolute steal. His speed is the most noticeable trait he has to offer, but his offensive tools are drool worthy. Elite hands, IQ, vision, playmaking, and a deadly shot. His hands and brain are also able to catch up to his lightning quick feet which is a talent on its own. His defensive play is also well polished considering he killed a bunch of penalties with no problem whatsoever. He dominated in the weaker BCHL and proved his doubters wrong when he brought his elite performances over to the U18s with team Canada. I personally see a 1C in him but I know many people don't agree with this. All I know is that whoever lands him will get an absolute gem.
13Logo of the Florida Panthers-The Panthers are in the same situation as the Flyers. They really don't need a forward prospect, so it's between D and G. Lots of options on defense but they need more help on the right side since it's very shallow after Ekblad. Picking Spencer Knight here also makes tons of sense. Anyways, I think Florida would select Victor Söderström at #13. Victor is an elite skating defenseman who plays a smart and effective two way game. His transition game is strong, he delivers crisp passes, has nice vision, puck skills, and has the ability to control the pace of the game. He logged in big minutes in the SHL this season which is an incredible feat itself. Looks like a sure shot Top 4 D, his offensive contribution will determine just how far he'd go considering his defensive game is already very solid.
14Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-The Coyotes stop the polarizing RW Vasili Podkolzin's "fall" with their 14th overall pick and are thrilled to do so. I thought last year they really could've benefited from a guy like Brady Tkachuk and this year, they have the chance to get someone in the same mold. Podkolzin is 2 years away from coming over to NA due to his Russian contracts, so a lot of teams might worry over it but not Arizona since they really aren't going in a straight direction, plus most players available here will take just as much time or more to come up. Podkolzin is a tenacious power forward who makes an impact in all three zones thanks to his incredible compete. Offensively, just by looking at the stat sheet you'd know that he loves to score goals and he gets to do that thanks to his big drive, silky hands, heavy shot, and offensive IQ that are all pretty elite. His defensive play is also great and it's mostly thanks to his compete and decent skating ability. He has a lot to work on however like keeping his head up during play, being more disciplined, and being able to produce more consistently. He will no doubt become an NHLer, but putting a ceiling on him after the season he had after the Hlinka tourney is quite tough, it is however safe to say that the potential is there.
15Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-The Habs have lots of options at #15, their needs are at LD and RW and luckily for them the best players available fit the bill. I think they decide to go for another Finn in defenseman Ville Heinola with their 1st round pick. Ville is an extremely effective defenseman who just might be the smartest D of the draft class. Although not a speedster, Heinola is a very good skater, especially with his edgework and agility. Offensively, he has a lot to offer, notably his elite vision to set up his teammates in very creative ways. His transition game is also great and he can breakout with a strong first pass. A very good stickhandler too, his shot is also pretty underrated and will only get better once he puts some more weight on. He's very poised with the puck and when playing against his age group he looks like a man amongst boys and blends in very well with the pros. Defensively, he's good with his stick and has good positioning. Physically, he still has lots of room for improvement but that will come in the weight room. What always sticks out to me is his smarts, he makes smart decisions with and without the puck way more often than not and that's something the Habs' brass will certainly appreciate. Trevor Timmins said they're looking for a player who has growth potential and Heinola seems like that guy, because once he puts on some more muscle, watch out. Personally, I'd rather go for forwards Dorofeyev or Tomasino, but if we don't get a LHD before or on draft day, Heinola is in my top 3 realistic choices anyways so I would be ecstatic with this selection. He is the second best defenseman of the draft in my opinion. I see him as a sure shot 2nd pairing defenseman who has all the tools to become a top pairing guy.
16Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Colorado select G Spencer Knight with their second 1st round pick. They still don't have a clear goalie for the future so picking Knight is a good bet before other teams jump on him. I'm usually against taking goalies so early, but he really seems like a future elite goalie in my viewings and I'm sure many teams after Colorado would be interested in picking him with their first round pick. Knight reminds me of an even better Carter Hart and looking back I'm sure many teams regret passing up on the rookie goalie, I think the Avs are part of that group too considering how mediocre their goalie tandem is. In Knight, hopefully, they'll at least get a future starter who definitely has a high ceiling.
17Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-At #17 I see the Golden Knights going for a defenseman and the best one on the board is none other than Cam York. VGK look to replace what they traded in Brannström with York. York is a poised and mobile defender with great skating ability. Very good with the puck on his stick as he possesses good stickhandling and vision, he knows when to join the rush and seams pucks through tight spaces to deliver crisp passes, these tools will undoubtedly help any team's PP down the line as he did so exceptionally well this year with the NTDP. He has a very good shot but his shot selection is a little off, however it should get better with experience. He mostly plays a calm and effective game but does not shy away from risks that can pay off, but when they don't he manages to make up for it most of the time thanks to his skating. He's a smart player and demonstrates it in all three zones. Defensively, he's really underrated and makes quite an impact as well. He's quick with his stick and manages to maintain decent gap control on the opposing players, although he could stand to work on his positioning and timing on his pinches, but it's still fine and actually good I'd say for a player his age. What I really like about him is how clutch he can be and how big of an impact he makes in bigger games. In York I see a safe pick with Top 4 upside, but also someone who has potential to become a 1D down the line with some proper development. He's a player any team would love to have in their pipeline and Vegas seems like a great fit.
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-With the 18th overall pick, the Dallas Stars select the dynamic centerman/right winger, Philip Tomasino. Tomasino is a fringe top 10 talent in my opinion and any team who gets him after that might just be getting a steal, Robert Thomas style. Tomasino is an incredible skater with elite acceleration. Everything about his skating is top level, his top-end speed, edgework, agility, etc. Offensively, Tomasino offers a non-stop motor that has him buzzing all over the ice but mostly effective in the O zone. He has great stickhandling ability and he is able to match his hands with his feet which is amazing considering just how fast he goes. He's a very good playmaker too, possessing great vision and uses his skating to his advantage to make passing lanes. He loves getting into the dirty areas and does what it takes to help his team score. He has a great shot too, with a lightning fast release that has some power and accuracy behind it, it gets even more dangerous the closer he gets to the net. Not to mention his hockey IQ, he takes calculated risks and they mostly pay off. His high-energy style can really help him drive the play whether it being at C or on the RW. Defensively, Tomasino is also pretty good. He's always involved and is good with his stick. However, he's going to have to put on some more muscle to handle one-on-one battles better, I don't think it will be a problem down the line. I think Dallas will get a clear NHLer with this pick, Tomasino has the tools and mindset to become a star and I am a big believer in his talent.
19Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Columbus Blue JacketsOttawa select big goal scorer Arthur Kaliyev with the 19th overall pick. Kaliyev is just an all right skater, more of a shifty guy, it did however improve from last year which is great and he has potential to get even better on his feet. Offensively, Kaliyev is a goal scoring machine. He has a shot just as deadly as Cole Caufield and trust me when I say it, it is a lethal weapon. Any type of shot in his arsenal is elite. He always finds a way to put himself in position to receive a pass and absolutely bury it. But an underrated aspect of his game is his playmaking ability, you don't get 51 assists on this Hamilton team if you can't sauce it, and he's got the vision and patience to do so. Defensively though, Kaliyev is a mess. Weak backchecks, bad positioning, puck watching, etc. His hockey sense is high level though so with just some effort, I can see him be okay in that aspect. With all that being said, Kaliyev is clearly a big boom or bust prospect. He has the skill to become an elite NHL player but there are some things that really need to get fixed if he wants to get even close to that. He'll either become an established top 6+ goal scorer or be pretty much useless to the team who drafted him as most coaches wouldn't give him the ice time if he doesn't fix his issues, at least that's what I think.
20Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-With the recently re-acquired 20th overall pick, I have Winnipeg selecting center Ryan Suzuki. Suzuki is an outstanding skater who will only get better once he gets stronger. The three things you'll first notice in Suzuki are his skating, IQ, and playmaking abilities and evidently those traits make up this interesting prospect. He can control the pace of the game, run the PP from the half walls, and use his stick handling to his advantage under many circumstances. His shot is pretty accurate but he needs to put on some muscle for a heavier release. Room to grow defensively as his skating and stick checks are very good but he shies from bigger opposing players, mostly due to his slight frame. Overall, I think Suzuki is a great prospect to bank on becoming a solid top 6 playmaking C and WPG can really use one behind Scheifele.
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-With the 21st overall pick I've got the Pittsburgh Penguins bringing Philip Broberg to the 'Burgh. Broberg is a great skater, he has incredible top speed considering his size and flies with a balanced long stride. His agility and edgework are however just okay and nothing to write home about. Offensively, Broberg doesn't have much to offer, his speed does however allow him to step up and put himself in a good position to shoot. He has difficulty handling the puck which can cause him to turn the puck over as his hands do not match his feet. His passes are mostly short and simple, they never seem to wow you since his vision is just average, not necessarily bad but sometimes he tries to play beyond his skill level which again lead to turnovers. He does have a good shot though, but nowadays it just isn't enough to become a major offensive piece from the blue line. His shot selection is also off, I just don't see high or even avergar offensive IQ in him. Defensively, is where Broberg shines more in my opinion. His speed allows him to catch up to fast forwards and recover from his mistakes. His big body also allows him to get into the dirty areas and clear the front of the net. He reads the play well and does what it takes to clear the zone. His defensive IQ is definitely much better than offensive, but still not enough to impress me . Overall, I think Broberg can become a #4 at best with a lot more development. I personally wouldn't take him this high but considering how he's apparently perceived among scouts, I'm trying to keep this mock realistic therefore I'm inserting him close to the top 20 at least. I do like the fit for the Pens though, his speed and defensive play can really benefit them down the line.
22Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsThe LA Kings select offensive defenseman Thomas Harley with their second first round pick at #22. Harley is a big bodied smooth skating defender who has very good speed, edgework, agility, etc. It's a big reason why he's able to walk the line in the offensive zone and demonstrate his offensive skills. So offensively, Harley is really good at transitioning from D to O. His hands match his feet as he's a great stickhandler too. His first pass is great. He possesses amazing vision and when he combines that with his creativity, you will see him make outstanding passes from time to time that set his teammates up for great scoring chances. Harley has a decent shot as well and has good shot selection, it's really a weapon on the PP when he shoots it low to have his teammates score from deflections or rebounds. His defensive game can get better though, although he's got all right positioning and a quick stick, Harley is often beat in one-on-one situations as some quick skaters often just fly by him. I think he can at least stand to be more physical with the frame he possesses too. With all that being said, I think Harley has the highest offensive ceiling among the defensemen in this draft and if he can refine his D game, he can really become a top defenseman in the league. He is also very young, being born in August, there is definitely potential for him to get better. He can very well end up being a steal. A fine pick for LA who can use another PP quarterback down the line.
23Logo of the New York Islanders-At #23 the New York Islanders get the steal of the draft in winger Pavel Dorofeyev. For me, Dorofeyev is a top 10 talent and is my favourite prospect in this draft class. Pavel is a good skater, not a speed demon by any means but he has very good skating technique, he's a very shifty with his edgework and pivots, and I think his first steps will get better with some time in the gym. He is an offensive dynamo, he possesses an absolute laser of a shot that will only get more powerful when he puts some weight on, he's also very dangerous around the net thanks to his silkiness, to me he's a top 5, if not top 3 goal scorer in the crop. He's also got elite vision and playmaking abilities as you'd often see him set up his teammates in super creative ways, he loves to elusively change his directions to open up passing lanes, he makes it look easy too. He controls the pace of the play and is great on the PP, both as a shooter or as a set up man from the half-wall. His stickhandling is out of this world as he can perform incredibly quick and skilled dekes that make him hard to contain in one-on-one situations. His elite hockey IQ expands past the offensive zone as he is pretty smart defensively too. He is very involved in the D zone and his stick is always active as you'd see him cut down passing lanes, intercept a pass, then transition to offense, oh and I should mention that his zone entries are another big strength of his. He also battles hard along the boards or net front and although not a physical player, he doesn't shy away from taking a hit to keep the play alive. One thing is for sure, when he gets stronger and fills out his 6'1 frame, you better watch out. Overall, I think the NYI are getting a future star in Dorofeyev. It's unfortunate that he didn't get more international exposure as he seems to be pretty underrated, especially on McKenzie's recent rankings where he's ranked #82 which made me shake my head big time, probably due to the scouts not watching him enough as it seems like international tourneys are heavily taken into consideration. But like I said earlier, he's a top 10 talent and I've got a good feeling that if he falls past that, a lot of teams are going to regret passing up on him. I might sound like a fanboy at this point but I seriously believe that he's got a top 5 ceiling in the draft and I can really see him reaching it.
24Logo of the Nashville Predators-The Nashville Predators select electrifying winger Nils Höglander with their 24th overall pick. Nils is only 5'9, but he plays like an absolute tank on the ice. He's an elite skater with amazing speed and acceleration, his technique is also great. Offensively, he uses his speed as a big weapon and when he combines that with his silky hands that can match his feet, Höglander has the ability to make highlight reel plays. His shot is super accurate but can stand to be a bit stronger, he's certainly got the strength to work on it too though. His creativity is put on display when he makes crazy good passes to set his teammates up as his vision is also above average. He's a pretty smart player in all zones. Considering his size, he's a physical monster too, laying massive hits. He is also very aggressive around the boards and on the forecheck, but doesn't get out of position for a hit. His motor just doesn't stop, and considering the fact that he was playing with men all year long, that's pretty impressive. He put up 14 points in 50 games in the SHL which is superb for an 18 year old. Defensively, Höglander carries his high energy and is constantly involved. He's always in good position and uses his speed and quick stick to his advantage. His size can however cause him to get beaten by bigger players. Overall, Höglander will at least become a complimentary do it all winger who can grow into a lethal top 6 player for the Preds.
25Logo of the Washington Capitals-With the 25th overall pick, the Washington Capitals select diminutive yet impressively gritty and highly skilled RW Bobby Brink. His skating isn't great and combined with his size and pace, it's probably the main reason why he's not top 15 on most lists. He has okay speed and decent acceleration but his technique isn't too good. Brink is a super toolsy player offensively though who's mostly known for his goal scoring. He has an elite level shot, one of the best in the crop, it's super quick and has lots of power behind it. His high-energy type of play combined with his elite stickhandling also allows him to score those unexceptional net front goals. His vision is also something not to be forgotten about as he was able to drive his team's offense and set up his linesmates with great quality scoring opportunities. Defensively, Brink does everything you want in the D zone from a winger, he's heavily involved and makes the right move more often than not. Bobby also has elite hockey sense that can be seen in all three zones. He battles hard and doesn't give up on a play which will definitely make him a favourite combined with his offensive tools, kind of like Höglander. Overall, I think Washington gets a solid prospect in Brink who can surprise many if he works hard on his skating.
26Logo of the Calgary Flames-At #26, the Calgary Flames select big bodied forward, Raphaël Lavoie. Lavoie is a decent skater considering his size, he's fast and well balanced. Offensively, Lavoie is mostly a sniper, every shot in his arsenal is high level. At his size, he's also imposing in front of the net, but that's just in the junior level since he doesn't really use it and I don't see it being too menacing in the big leagues if he doesn't make any changes. He is a decent stickhandler and has good vision as he sees the ice well and uses his hands to make lanes for his open teammates. Defensively, Lavoie isn't the best. He's buzzing in the D zone but he doesn't make smart plays. He doesn't use his big size to his advantage which is odd considering how he could be a great power forward if he were to do so, but instead he decides to be pretty soft. Combine that with his very inconsistent offensive contributions and it's no wonder he falls this far no matter how skilled he is. Now if ever he fixes his consistency issues and uses his body to his advantage, Lavoie can become a steal as a great goal scoring power forward. But I'm not really going to bank on that, so at 26, it's a decent gamble to take.
27Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-
Lassi Thomson
Tampa select the right handed Finnish defenseman out of the WHL, Lassi Thomson with their first round pick. Thomson is a very strong skater, great speed and acceleration with great technique. Offensively, Lassi's strongest strength is his shot, he netted 17 goals in his first season in NA which is pretty crazy, he uses his shot very similarly to Thomas Harley so just read up what I said about him at #22. He's pretty well polished offensively as he is a decent passer too and is pretty poised with the puck. He's not very creative and handsy though so he'll most likely be at best a shooter from the blue line on the PP. He is however pretty smart in the O zone and always makes the smart and effective play. Thomson loves to throw hits too but it can hold him back defensively as he gets out of position to do so more often than not. So defensively, besides sometimes using his skating to his advantage, he is just way too aggressive which puts him at a disadvantage. If he can work on this then I see good potential in him. Overall, his mobility and shot alone should bring him up to an NHL caliber player and Tampa is really good at developing their prospects, so he can pan out as a solid second pairing RHD who will be very solid for them down the line.
28Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-With the 28th overall pick, the Carolina Hurricanes select center Connor McMichael. McMichael is a very good skater with great speed and balance, his feet are always moving and he's got good technique to match with it. Offensively, he is more of a shooter as his wrister is really quick and powerful, he always puts himself in scoring positions too which got him 36 goals this season. His silky hands help him with a lot too. His vision and IQ are pretty high level too, he finds his teammates and sets them up with nice passes, he got 36 assists to go with it for a total of 72 points in 64 games which is outstanding progression from last season when he only had 16 points in 60 games. McMichael is also a great 200 foot player and a very good penalty killer. He uses his speed and stick with his smarts to really have a strong defensive presence. He's also really strong on faceoffs so that's a valuable asset to any team. Overall, I think Carolina will have a great middle 6 C in McMichael who can play up and down their lineup.
29Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the San Jose SharksThe Anaheim Ducks pull a Ducks move by drafting another Swedish Defenseman in Tobias Björnfot. Björnfot is a very strong skater who has great speed and acceleration, he also has great technique with his edgework and agility. His skating allows his transition game to be nothing short of elite. His biggest strength however is his hockey IQ. Offensively, he has very good vision and makes smart and effective plays. He makes decent crisp and simple passes. His stickhandling is also very good and that allows him to get by fairly easily. His creativity is nothing to write home about as he's not a flashy player but rather a defensive oriented puck mover. He has a very good wrist shot that got him most of his 11 goals this season. His other shots are okay but will probably get better when he gets a little stronger. Björnfot is amazing defensively though as he shows his smarts on every shift. He's always in good position and sees plays before they happen which get him to rush over and stop it. His skating allows him to catch up to forwards and transition to the O zone when turnovers happen. He's not the most physical and he really doesn't need to be either with his play, he still goes hard along the boards and makes his presence felt in front of the net, it'll only get better when he bulks up. Overall, Anaheim get a safe bet in Björnfot who will likely never be a top offensive contributor but who will be very effective and log in big minutes in their bottom 4 pairings.
30Logo of the Boston Bruins-With the 30th overall pick, I have the Bruins picking forward Nicholas Robertson. Robertson is another small high energy type of player. His game is pretty reminiscent of Nils Höglander's so I'll keep his basic description brief and go more in-depth with his more unique attributes. So in Nick, you get a versatile player who can play any forward position. His skating is excellent in every facet. He's surprisingly well balanced too and that makes him very effective along the boards and net-front. His non-stop motor is always on display offensively and he can be real pest. With his aggressive nature, Nick loves to be hard on the forecheck and get things going to get a goal for the team. He creates chaos in front of the net with his energy. His hands are elite and he possesses very high level shots too. He has great vision and easily sauces pucks to his open teammates after making lanes himself. He puts himself in great scoring opportunities too. He's very smart offensively. Defensively, he's a bit more of a project, he certainly puts in the work in the D zone but he needs to get some things straightened out. His positioning is off and he often gets out of position to try and get a hit. His size is also an issue as he can get outmuscled fairly easily by bigger opponents. He also needs to get better in the faceoff circle and fix those defensive mistakes if he sees himself as a center. On the bright side, his speed and stick are very strong and it enables him to catch up and make some decent defensive plays once in a while. Overall, Nick's tenacity should merit him an NHL spot in due time, but the question is in what spot. He's definitely got Top 6 potential but he needs to get bigger and be more disciplined defensively, I don't think it's too far fetched either considering he's one of the youngest players in the crop.
31Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the St. Louis BluesAt #31, the final pick of the first round, I see Buffalo taking a defenseman. The Sabres select the mobile big bodied left handed defenseman, Vladislav Kolyachonok. He is a bit of a sleeper, but I can see him rise up into the mid 20s if a team is as big of a believer in his talent as I am. Kolyachonok is an explosive skater and he uses it to his advantage in every possible way. His technique is also very high level so there's nothing more to say about his skating besides the fact that it's elite. Offensively, he's probably one of the best puck movers in the draft, his skating obviously permits him to do so. His hands are very good and he has great pick protection skills that match with his feet, so you will see him blaze by his opponents with no problem whatsoever. His vision and creativity in the O zone is also very good as he can create lanes and make great passes to put his teammates in good scoring opportunities. He has the tools to become a PP QB. His shot isn't his strength but it's fine, I think it can get better when he gets stronger. His hockey sense is really impressive. Defensively, Kolyachonok also impresses, he uses his skating to his advantage and maintains great gap control. He's always well positioned too. On one-on-one situations, he comes up on top more often than not, even with the elite in the league. He's tenacious and never gives up on a play. He uses his body too as you'd often see him lay punishing hits along the boards or even with those old school open Ice hits, but he doesn't get out of position to do so which shows just how smart he is. I think Buffalo is banking on a great talent in Kolyachonok, once he puts some more weight on and fills in his frame, he can really become an effective player and have his game translate to the pros. He did well logging big minutes on a very weak Flint team and proved his doubters just how skilled he is in the U18s with Belarus. He has potential to become one of the better 2nd pairing defensemen in the league.
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
32Logo of the Ottawa Senators-
33Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
34Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
Patrik Puistola
35Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
36Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Buffalo Sabres
Brayden Tracey
37Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the New York Rangers
38Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
Jordan Spence
39Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
40Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
41Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-This pick now belongs to the San Jose Sharks and I have them picking C John Beecher here.
42Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
43Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
44Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Florida Panthers
45Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
Antti Tuomisto
46Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
47Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
Ilya Nikolayev
48Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
49Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Dallas Stars
50Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
51Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
Ryan Johnson
52Logo of the Florida PanthersLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
Ilya Konovalov
53Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-
54Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York Islanders
55Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Nashville Predators
Domenick Fensore
56Logo of the Washington Capitals-
57Logo of the New York IslandersLogo of the Calgary Flames
58Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
Semyon Chistyakov
59Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
60Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the San Jose Sharks
61Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Boston Bruins
62Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
Jun. 19, 2019 at 7:45 p.m.
Frankyhabs
(Habs fan here)
First congrats dude ! here 3 quick toughts :
1. IMO Cozens should not be taken in the top 5. I see him has a winger and more a passenger than the bus driver
2. Agree with you about Krebs. Maybe one of the most underrated prospect. Guys, just pick 2 minutes and go looking at Noah Dobson (19 years old) stats this season. First half of the season he plays with a bad team (like krebs) and second half he plays with Rouyn and just look the BIG difference in his stats. If Krebs would have played with a good team, IMO he would be select in the top 5
3. As an habs fan I would be very happy with Heinola. His stats in the Ligaa are impressive !

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll