Forums/Armchair-GM

A cup is great- now lets get even better

Created by: TheEarthmaster
Team: 2019-20 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 12, 2019
Published: Jun. 24, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Before we get too deep, I'm not too concerned about the trade locations or the return. Schenn is a top/second line center with a year left on a good contract- that's worth a first to someone who wants a center, which is most teams. Carolina may need a proven goaltender if their's walk and may be willing to take a chance on Allen due to their solid D core with Fabbri as a sweetener. But if that doesn't work, we can buy out Allen and trade/keep Fabbri, we have the cap space.

I think Fabbri has the potential to be a middle sixer somewhere but it's not here. I think Jake Allen has the ability to be a good 1A/1B goaltender (no really) but it's not here. I think Schenn deserves 6-7mil and to be a first or second line center (which is what he probably wants) but with Thomas and O'Reilly coming up, Schenn can't get that here. I'd rather sell high-ish (in the sense that they all just won a cup) and trade those guys now, get some assets and clear out space. Before you trade Schenn, offer sheet Meier. The Sharks are in cap hell, He'll be cheaper for the next half decade than Schenn and he's a fantastic player who plays our weakest forward position (LW). If he signs and the Sharks don't match (which they may or may not at 5x6mil, but we have cap space for a higher offer if needed), then trade Schenn once you have Meier. If he doesn't sign or the Sharks match, keep Schenn through the year and be content in knowing that we probably made lives even more difficult for a rival.

Left a couple mil in the budget to throw a little more at Binnington, Meier, or any of the other RFAs if needed. Let Maroon and Gunnarsson go make bank somewhere else this season.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$850,000
2$1,500,000
1$1,000,000
1$900,000
1$1,000,000
4$4,000,000
2$4,000,000
2$1,100,000
5$6,000,000
3$2,000,000
Offer Sheets
Offer sheet annual average (AAV) is calculated by dividing the contract value by the lower of: 1. The contract length, or 2. Five years
PLAYERAAVCOMPENSATION
Meier, Timo$6,000,000
2020 1st round pick
2020 3rd round pick
Trades
STL
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (BUF)
STL
  1. 2020 1st round pick (NYI)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$66,837,927$12,928$915,000$14,662,073
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,350,000$5,350,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C, RW
UFA - 2
$758,333$758,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LW, RW, C
NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$722,500$722,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
LD
NTC
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,375,000$1,375,000
RD
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 24, 2019 at 1:48 a.m.
What do you think Binner makes?
Jun. 24, 2019 at 1:55 a.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Quoting: TyFrench17
What do you think Binner makes?

Honestly not sure what to expect. If he hadn't won the cup, I think you could make an argument for 2.5/3mil for two years and see what happens. I'm concerned that he hasn't played a full NHL season yet and I would be careful to avoid another Allen contract, but it would also be great to have some stability in net. I think you gotta go max 2 years and somewhere between 4-5.5mil range now with the cup win in there though. It'll be an interesting contract.
Jun. 24, 2019 at 2:01 a.m.
Quoting: TheEarthmaster
Honestly not sure what to expect. If he hadn't won the cup, I think you could make an argument for 2.5/3mil for two years and see what happens. I'm concerned that he hasn't played a full NHL season yet and I would be careful to avoid another Allen contract, but it would also be great to have some stability in net. I think you gotta go max 2 years and somewhere between 4-5.5mil range now with the cup win in there though. It'll be an interesting contract.

Murray got 3.75 on a 3 yr contract. So I figured Binner may come in around that but prob 4-4.25 depending on the length but am curious to see what others thought.
Jun. 24, 2019 at 3:28 a.m.
What in tarnation
SJ is definitely going to match that.

The offer needs to go upwards of 8-9 million to make Sharks unable to match.
Jun. 24, 2019 at 3:41 a.m.
Vorg1
Sharks match that without hesitation.
Jun. 24, 2019 at 11:14 a.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Quoting: BurgerBoss
SJ is definitely going to match that.

The offer needs to go upwards of 8-9 million to make Sharks unable to match.

Quoting: Vorg_Vaarg
Sharks match that without hesitation.

You guys are probably right, but as I said in the description, we've got 5mil in additional cap space to up that offer sheet if necessary. That said, I really don't think the Sharks could match above 7mil without serious strain somewhere else (Thorton, Pavelski, now maybe Marleau to resign? Plus some depth RFAs yet), and even if they do match, we'll keep Schenn and no harm done to the Blues. Now SJ is paying more than they probably wanted to for Meier, so good luck to them in cap hell, I don't mind that at all. No risk for the Blues to offer sheet here even if SJ does match.
Jun. 24, 2019 at 11:17 a.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Quoting: TyFrench17
Murray got 3.75 on a 3 yr contract. So I figured Binner may come in around that but prob 4-4.25 depending on the length but am curious to see what others thought.

Murray is probably the closest comparison, but even then Murray was supposed to be good. Binnington was pegged as an AHL lifer before January even by his own organization. I left some cap space in case Binnington needs more but I think you're right, 4/4.5 is probably where it'll come in. I hear people talking about 6mil, and that's just crazy to me.
Jun. 24, 2019 at 11:22 a.m.
What in tarnation
You guys are probably right, but as I said in the description, we've got 5mil in additional cap space to up that offer sheet if necessary. That said, I really don't think the Sharks could match above 7mil without serious strain somewhere else (Thorton, Pavelski, now maybe Marleau to resign? Plus some depth RFAs yet), and even if they do match, we'll keep Schenn and no harm done to the Blues. Now SJ is paying more than they probably wanted to for Meier, so good luck to them in cap hell, I don't mind that at all. No risk for the Blues to offer sheet here even if SJ does match.

Long-term the importance of Meier is higher than any of the aforementioned players.

Also if STL were seriously considering going 3-5 millions higher with the offer sheet, that would mean they receive more picks as well.

The amount where SJ can't match provides them around two firsts, a second and a third. Which is close the value you'd get by just trading him.

Point being, Meier is not leaving SJ. All the rest can wait, Meier is coming first.
Jun. 24, 2019 at 5:16 p.m.
Vorg1
You guys are probably right, but as I said in the description, we've got 5mil in additional cap space to up that offer sheet if necessary. That said, I really don't think the Sharks could match above 7mil without serious strain somewhere else (Thorton, Pavelski, now maybe Marleau to resign? Plus some depth RFAs yet), and even if they do match, we'll keep Schenn and no harm done to the Blues. Now SJ is paying more than they probably wanted to for Meier, so good luck to them in cap hell, I don't mind that at all. No risk for the Blues to offer sheet here even if SJ does match.[/quote

Thanks for all your meaningful draft picks in the next 3-4 years then lol. We'll gladly take your future then trade it for another, maybe better power player. lol, good luck
Jun. 24, 2019 at 6:22 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Quoting: BurgerBoss
Long-term the importance of Meier is higher than any of the aforementioned players.

Also if STL were seriously considering going 3-5 millions higher with the offer sheet, that would mean they receive more picks as well.

The amount where SJ can't match provides them around two firsts, a second and a third. Which is close the value you'd get by just trading him.

Point being, Meier is not leaving SJ. All the rest can wait, Meier is coming first.

You know as well as I do that the Blues are not paying $8 mil, two firsts, a second and a third. However, you also know as well as I do that SJ can't pay Meier $8 mil either, and I would bet that in a realistically ideal world the Sharks want Meier for three years at like $4.5/5.5mil because that bridge deal is the only way that they can keep everyone. Now I like Timo Meier and I think he could be a good addition to the Blues, but not for more that 7mil. The Blues do not NEED Meier for this team to be successful, so they don't need to overpay. Basically I think the Blues can make a competitive offer sheet in that "first and a third" range of a cap hit, (less than 8mil) and be fine either way- because they have Schenn for one more year if the Sharks match, or obviously if they are able to poach Meier. They don't need to make an offer that guarantees they get Meier, they just need to make a good enough offer that there's a chance the Sharks can't match.

And you say "all the rest can wait", but I'm not so sure. SJ is lucky that Thorton only wants to play there and obviously the other RFAs are in the same position as Meier, but Pavelski is openly talking with other teams right now and can sign with them in a week. If SJ wants to keep their captain, that will need to happen before Meier (unless Meier signs, like, tomorrow) and that'll cost like $6.5 mil+. He's obviously not a long term signing but I think SJ proved with the Karlsson contract that they are trying to win now and "long-term" is not what they are worrying about. And if they want to win now, they'll probably want that 38 goal scorer back. So that limits what they can offer Meier as well.
Jun. 24, 2019 at 6:28 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Quoting: Vorg_Vaarg

I'm not sure what you're after here. The offer sheet I've laid out only compensates a first and a third in 2020. I didn't mean throw 5mil more at Meier, just that we have the space to make that 6mil offer sheet something like 7, 7.5. But I'm not giving up more than a first and third for Meier. If Sharks can match that, cool, because they definitely didn't want to be paying Meier 7 million dollars this year, and that's a win in my book.
Jun. 24, 2019 at 6:28 p.m.
What in tarnation
You know as well as I do that the Blues are not paying $8 mil, two firsts, a second and a third. However, you also know as well as I do that SJ can't pay Meier $8 mil either, and I would bet that in a realistically ideal world the Sharks want Meier for three years at like $4.5/5.5mil because that bridge deal is the only way that they can keep everyone. Now I like Timo Meier and I think he could be a good addition to the Blues, but not for more that 7mil. The Blues do not NEED Meier for this team to be successful, so they don't need to overpay. Basically I think the Blues can make a competitive offer sheet in that "first and a third" range of a cap hit, (less than 8mil) and be fine either way- because they have Schenn for one more year if the Sharks match, or obviously if they are able to poach Meier. They don't need to make an offer that guarantees they get Meier, they just need to make a good enough offer that there's a chance the Sharks can't match.

And you say "all the rest can wait", but I'm not so sure. SJ is lucky that Thorton only wants to play there and obviously the other RFAs are in the same position as Meier, but Pavelski is openly talking with other teams right now and can sign with them in a week. If SJ wants to keep their captain, that will need to happen before Meier (unless Meier signs, like, tomorrow) and that'll cost like $6.5 mil+. He's obviously not a long term signing but I think SJ proved with the Karlsson contract that they are trying to win now and "long-term" is not what they are worrying about. And if they want to win now, they'll probably want that 38 goal scorer back. So that limits what they can offer Meier as well.

Signing EK with that contract meant that it's going to be unlikely for them to re-sign Pavelski, unless he signs a team friendly contract.

As for Meier, I can see them signing to a contract like Hertl did ($5,625M x 4). But they're willing to sign him until the $8M contract, provided there's good term. Otherwise Meier is not signing it. That's also something you gotta note - the player have to accept the offer.

For now, the main thing for SJ is to sign Meier.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll