Initial Creation Date: Aug. 15, 2019
Published: Aug. 15, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$12,500,000
2$1,500,000
Offer Sheets
Offer sheet annual average (AAV) is calculated by dividing the contract value by the lower of: 1. The contract length, or 2. Five years
PLAYERAAVCOMPENSATION
Marner, Mitchell$12,500,000
2020 1st round pick
2021 1st round pick
2022 1st round pick
2023 1st round pick
Trades
NYI
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (MTL)
  2. 2021 1st round pick (MTL)
MTL
  1. Ho-Sang, Joshua [RFA Rights]
  2. Leddy, Nick
  3. 2021 3rd round pick (NYI)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$77,452,499$0$1,070,000$4,047,501
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$12,500,000$12,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 5
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$786,666$786,666 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 4
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 4
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RD
RFA - 3
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 1
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 15, 2019 at 2:05 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
You're really simplifying what it'd take to move the players you listed. It's just not that easy and if this offersheet was to happen it means the Isles gotta move some guys now which won't be easy considering a lot of teams still have pricey RFA'S to sign and more importantly there's very very few teams with any cap space.

I think that's what doesn't get realized by most on this site, as of right now there isn't many teams with much cap space, some are right up against or even over and even the ones with a decent amount of space might need it for bonuses or to make an addition at the TDL.

I don't know, I just don't see this happening and them being able to make it work with Barzal next summer.

If the Isles signed Marner to a 12-13 per AAV OS today, the only things they would have to do is make sure Ladd stays on LTIR the whole season and trade either Hickey or Leddy to be compliant. I'll say Leddy because Beau, dal Colle and Ho-Sang still need to be signed and that should come in at about 3m total. Leddy can be moved easily, anyone saying otherwise just doesn't understand Hockey. Leddy, right now is being shopped for a Top 6 FW, hence why he hasn't been moved yet... if the Isles come off that ask and ask for Picks instead to save CAP space... Leddy goes in a heartbeat. It's really not that difficult.

Next year would be a bit harder yes, because teams will know the Isles need to clear CAP space. But as TOR showed this year, with the right motivation players can be moved when you're facing a CAP crunch.
Aug. 15, 2019 at 6:51 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: Hockeygoalie53
If the Isles signed Marner to a 12-13 per AAV OS today, the only things they would have to do is make sure Ladd stays on LTIR the whole season and trade either Hickey or Leddy to be compliant. I'll say Leddy because Beau, dal Colle and Ho-Sang still need to be signed and that should come in at about 3m total. Leddy can be moved easily, anyone saying otherwise just doesn't understand Hockey. Leddy, right now is being shopped for a Top 6 FW, hence why he hasn't been moved yet... if the Isles come off that ask and ask for Picks instead to save CAP space... Leddy goes in a heartbeat. It's really not that difficult.

Next year would be a bit harder yes, because teams will know the Isles need to clear CAP space. But as TOR showed this year, with the right motivation players can be moved when you're facing a CAP crunch.

So who's a team right now that'd be interested in Leddy?
I agree with you that he's worth a 1st+ but who's a team that's actually gonna make that trade, looking at rosters around the league I'd say there really isn't too many. There just isn't many teams with cap space and the ones that have it seem like they don't want to use and their intention is to suck this season.
Aug. 16, 2019 at 9:29 a.m.
So who's a team right now that'd be interested in Leddy?
I agree with you that he's worth a 1st+ but who's a team that's actually gonna make that trade, looking at rosters around the league I'd say there really isn't too many. There just isn't many teams with cap space and the ones that have it seem like they don't want to use and their intention is to suck this season.

MTL has been linked to Leddy all summer, same with FLA. VAN and WPG have also been rumored to have interest... just to name a few.
Aug. 16, 2019 at 9:53 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
MTL has been linked to Leddy all summer, same with FLA. VAN and WPG have also been rumored to have interest... just to name a few.

Montreal has a bit of cap space but not much, same thing for Florida. Van will be over the cap once Boeser and Goldobin are signed.
The Jets are gonna be squeezed for space once Connor and Laine are signed.

So as I've said these teams don't really have the space and to create they'd need to move players to other teams but as I've said in prior comments to you there just isn't many years teams with space in total so for Montreal, Florida, Van or the Jets to make space they need to move out players to create cap space which just isn't that easy. Do teams with cap space like Detroit, LA and Anaheim even want any cap dumps or payers that might make them better now? Doesn't appear that way. Ottawa isn't taking anyone they have to pay so you can pretty much leave them out as an option.

It's just not that simple, I really doubt there's an offer sheet coming from the Islanders for Marner.
Aug. 16, 2019 at 10:16 a.m.
Montreal has a bit of cap space but not much, same thing for Florida. Van will be over the cap once Boeser and Goldobin are signed.
The Jets are gonna be squeezed for space once Connor and Laine are signed.

So as I've said these teams don't really have the space and to create they'd need to move players to other teams but as I've said in prior comments to you there just isn't many years teams with space in total so for Montreal, Florida, Van or the Jets to make space they need to move out players to create cap space which just isn't that easy. Do teams with cap space like Detroit, LA and Anaheim even want any cap dumps or payers that might make them better now? Doesn't appear that way. Ottawa isn't taking anyone they have to pay so you can pretty much leave them out as an option.

It's just not that simple, I really doubt there's an offer sheet coming from the Islanders for Marner.

I'm not saying the Isles are GOING to OS Marner (although, I truely believe they should) I'm just saying it's POSSIBLE for them to do it and CLEAR out the necessary CAP space to be able to keep Barzal, Pulock and Toews next year.

As for Leddy, the Isles could take on a 1 year contract as a return to clear out CAP for MTL or WPG to take on Leddy. With Ladd almost assured to be on the LTIR, the CAP issues wouldn't be this season for the Isles even if they brought in Marner... the issues would be next year.

Again, all of this is just to point out that IF the Isles wanted to bring in Marner, someone they need, they can make it work. Leddy, Hickey and Boychuk (50% retention) can all be moved and that would save the Isles almost 11m in AAV going forward, plus add in that Ladd is more likely to be LTIR for the remainder of his contract than he is to come back healthy from a major knee surgery on his good leg (already had surgery on the other leg in the past) and that gives the Isles potentially 16+ in CAP space to work with.
Aug. 16, 2019 at 7:32 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
I'm not saying the Isles are GOING to OS Marner (although, I truely believe they should) I'm just saying it's POSSIBLE for them to do it and CLEAR out the necessary CAP space to be able to keep Barzal, Pulock and Toews next year.

As for Leddy, the Isles could take on a 1 year contract as a return to clear out CAP for MTL or WPG to take on Leddy. With Ladd almost assured to be on the LTIR, the CAP issues wouldn't be this season for the Isles even if they brought in Marner... the issues would be next year.

Again, all of this is just to point out that IF the Isles wanted to bring in Marner, someone they need, they can make it work. Leddy, Hickey and Boychuk (50% retention) can all be moved and that would save the Isles almost 11m in AAV going forward, plus add in that Ladd is more likely to be LTIR for the remainder of his contract than he is to come back healthy from a major knee surgery on his good leg (already had surgery on the other leg in the past) and that gives the Isles potentially 16+ in CAP space to work with.

I get your point but once again you're making it sound simple when it's really not.

The Jets and Habs have RFA'S to sign next season so perhaps they don't want Leddy eating up cap next season in case they need it, gotta think the Habs wouldn't of signed Chiarot and traded for Leddy if they really wanted him, same for Van signing Myers. I'm not totally familiar with Florida's cap situation next season so maybe they'd work but it probably would've happened by now if it was going to.

It's be harder to move Boychuk and Hickey then Leddy, an injury prone 33 year old defenseman and almost $3M 3rd pairing defensemen aren't high on any teams wish list and if they wait till next season to move them teams will know there backs are against the wall and it might cost them picks/prospects to move them which in the end makes the Marner offersheet even costlier.

As for Ladd that's a pretty big if at this point, idk if you can really bank on him being a permanent LTIR candidate when you've gotta sign key rfa's like Barzal and Pulock.. Lol

Its just not as realistic as you think it is.
I do think the Islanders should make an add to their top 6 and go for it if they can though, obviously if they can make it work for signing Barzal, Pulock, etc.
Aug. 17, 2019 at 10:51 a.m.
I get your point but once again you're making it sound simple when it's really not.

The Jets and Habs have RFA'S to sign next season so perhaps they don't want Leddy eating up cap next season in case they need it, gotta think the Habs wouldn't of signed Chiarot and traded for Leddy if they really wanted him, same for Van signing Myers. I'm not totally familiar with Florida's cap situation next season so maybe they'd work but it probably would've happened by now if it was going to.

It's be harder to move Boychuk and Hickey then Leddy, an injury prone 33 year old defenseman and almost $3M 3rd pairing defensemen aren't high on any teams wish list and if they wait till next season to move them teams will know there backs are against the wall and it might cost them picks/prospects to move them which in the end makes the Marner offersheet even costlier.

As for Ladd that's a pretty big if at this point, idk if you can really bank on him being a permanent LTIR candidate when you've gotta sign key rfa's like Barzal and Pulock.. Lol

Its just not as realistic as you think it is.
I do think the Islanders should make an add to their top 6 and go for it if they can though, obviously if they can make it work for signing Barzal, Pulock, etc.

I never said it would be easy, I said it’s doable. I’m also gonna go and say that once Gardiner signs, I think you’ll see a lot more movement on Leddy. Teams are probably trying to bring in Gardiner who they can just sign, before trading away assets for Leddy.

Last thing I’ll say on the matter is this... NO ONE thought TOR could get themselves into a situation where they would be able to afford Matthews, Marner and Tavares and get they pulled it off this year, when some thought they had some pretty touch pieces to move. So, again, it CAN be done if the Isles went the way of an OS.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll