$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 22, 2020 at 3:54 p.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
He's better for sure but people on here think Pesce does all this stuff by himself. Slavin is the star and he makes everyone better. Pesce isn't bad, he's a good player but he's a #4 and the system and team he is on make him look so much better than he is.

Idk you could be right but whenever I watch Canes games I love everything about Pesce's game. But you're right the system he plays in definitely amplifies his game. As long as we can both acknowledge Slavin's stardom I'm fine lol.
May 22, 2020 at 3:56 p.m.
Him and Holl are a very good shutdown pair. Rielly and Lehtonen will be possession monsters as will Sandin and Dermott.

Holl was a little suspect after signing his extension but I'm sure he'll return to his previous form. Muzzin just makes everyone better like how he did with Zaitsev last year against the Bruins. But yes the Sandin-Dermott pairing will be especially fun to watch.
May 22, 2020 at 3:56 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: rahuls_13
Idk you could be right but whenever I watch Canes games I love everything about Pesce's game. But you're right the system he plays in definitely amplifies his game. As long as we can both acknowledge Slavin's stardom I'm fine lol.

I barely notice him, but I always notice Slavin.
rahuls_13 liked this.
May 22, 2020 at 3:57 p.m.
Banned
Holl was a little suspect after signing his extension but I'm sure he'll return to his previous form. Muzzin just makes everyone better like how he did with Zaitsev last year against the Bruins. But yes the Sandin-Dermott pairing will be especially fun to watch.

That was the time when he was partnered with Marincin when Muzzin was hurt. He was fine with Dermott and with Muzzin. No one can stop the best players in the league with Marincin.
rahuls_13 liked this.
May 22, 2020 at 4:01 p.m.
I barely notice him, but I always notice Slavin.

I think because I like Pesce so much I pay more attention to him. But yeah Slavin stands out for sure. And what a contract they have him signed for as well.
May 22, 2020 at 4:01 p.m.
That was the time when he was partnered with Marincin when Muzzin was hurt. He was fine with Dermott and with Muzzin. No one can stop the best players in the league with Marincin.

This is a valid point lol.
May 22, 2020 at 4:08 p.m.
John 3 16
As a Leafs fan I'd be interested but I'm assuming you're not starting that deal with Nylander right ? Because that would make no sense lol.

Yeah we wouldn't be asking for Nylander unless we're trading you Timmins.

I'm not sure what the return would be on Johnson to be honest, I hadn't thought about it before; I was first just testing to see if there would be interest in Johnson in the first place. grin

For starters the Colorado wouldn't want to retain the $2m salary themselves, so the 3rd team in the deal would need to be paid, maybe something like a 2nd + B prospect. That would either need to be paid by Colorado or by Toronto depending on the return on Johnson.

Johnson is a top 4 shutdown RHD, and at $4m for 3 years you'd probably need to offer us a roster player and decent prospect. Maybe one of Mikheyev/Kapanen/Hyman could be a starting point. If Liljegren isn't off limits then he would interesting as well to offset our loss of a RHD.

Below is a 'first draft' of a trade idea. I may be very off on some valuations so please feel free to pick it apart and make a counter-proposal.

----- To Colorado: Mikheyev + Liljegren (for Johnson + COL 2021 2nd + COL B prospect)

----- To Toronto: Johnson @$4m/3 years (for Mikheyev + Liljegren)

----- To 3rd team: COL 2021 2nd + COL B prospect (for retaining $2m / 3 years cap).
May 22, 2020 at 4:13 p.m.
Dubas isnt a genius
Quoting: Richard88
Yeah we wouldn't be asking for Nylander unless we're trading you Timmins.

I'm not sure what the return would be on Johnson to be honest, I hadn't thought about it before; I was first just testing to see if there would be interest in Johnson in the first place. grin

For starters the Colorado wouldn't want to retain the $2m salary themselves, so the 3rd team in the deal would need to be paid, maybe something like a 2nd + B prospect. That would either need to be paid by Colorado or by Toronto depending on the return on Johnson.

Johnson is a top 4 shutdown RHD, and at $4m for 3 years you'd probably need to offer us a roster player and decent prospect. Maybe one of Mikheyev/Kapanen/Hyman could be a starting point. If Liljegren isn't off limits then he would interesting as well to offset our loss of a RHD.

Below is a 'first draft' of a trade idea. I may be very off on some valuations so please feel free to pick it apart and make a counter-proposal.

----- To Colorado: Mikheyev + Liljegren (for Johnson + COL 2021 2nd + COL B prospect)

----- To Toronto: Johnson @$4m/3 years (for Mikheyev + Liljegren)

----- To 3rd team: COL 2021 2nd + COL B prospect (for retaining $2m / 3 years cap).

That's a no. Mikheyev is truly a 2nd line grinder and we wouldn't move him for less then a 1st. Also, we really need Lilypad as it seems like he will become a top-4 RHD for us in the future. Most people don't realize we have plenty of 2nd pairing RHD in Holl, Dermott, Lehtonen, and now all we need is a real 1RHD. Johnson isn't that.
rahuls_13 liked this.
May 22, 2020 at 4:17 p.m.
John 3 16
Quoting: firezfurx
That's a no. Mikheyev is truly a 2nd line grinder and we wouldn't move him for less then a 1st. Also, we really need Lilypad as it seems like he will become a top-4 RHD for us in the future. Most people don't realize we have plenty of 2nd pairing RHD in Holl, Dermott, Lehtonen, and now all we need is a real 1RHD. Johnson isn't that.

You were talking about a defensive RHD, which Johnson very much is. He still plays top shutdown minutes for Colorado.

How about removing Liljegren and Toronto sends a 2nd to the 3rd team instead of Colorado?

That is:

----- Colorado: Mikheyev for Johnson + COL B prospect

----- Toronto: Johnson @$4m/3 years (for Mikheyev + TOR 2020 2nd)

----- 3rd team: TOR 2020 2nd + COL B prospect for $2m / 3 years retention.
May 22, 2020 at 4:28 p.m.
Dubas isnt a genius
You were talking about a defensive RHD, which Johnson very much is. He still plays top shutdown minutes for Colorado.

How about removing Liljegren and Toronto sends a 2nd to the 3rd team instead of Colorado?

That is:

----- Colorado: Mikheyev for Johnson + COL B prospect

----- Toronto: Johnson @$4m/3 years (for Mikheyev + TOR 2020 2nd)

----- 3rd team: TOR 2020 2nd + COL B prospect for $2m / 3 years retention.

You still don't get it. Mikheyev also plays a ton on the PK and is one of our only gritty grinders in the forward core. On defense we have Muzzin and Holl doing that. Another major reason Toronto is set up so well for the future is they don't take on bad veteran contracts. Johnson is almost 33, and has defensive stats similar to Holl who is 2m cheaper and 6 years younger. Simply put we don't need him or want him. Mikheyev for Johnson 1 for 1 is highly unlikely. Also doesn't help he is overpaid until he is 35. Even if he was amazing we couln't afford him. You also brought up trading Hyman. I'm going to put this simply: HYMAN IS UN-****ING-TOUCHABLE. He was on track for 60 pts this year with 35 goals. That is better then Jamie Benn. He also drives our top line, fights the puck out of every corner, and is paid to be a grinder. Helps he is scoring at a 1st line rate. Also helps he is paid 2.25m a year, about 1/3 of what he should be. He also grew up in Toronto, and has apparently agreed to take a MASSIVE hometown discount next year. I'm talking 4m x 4 years for someone who should be paid at least 6m.
rahuls_13 liked this.
May 22, 2020 at 4:50 p.m.
John 3 16
You still don't get it. Mikheyev also plays a ton on the PK and is one of our only gritty grinders in the forward core. On defense we have Muzzin and Holl doing that. Another major reason Toronto is set up so well for the future is they don't take on bad veteran contracts. Johnson is almost 33, and has defensive stats similar to Holl who is 2m cheaper and 6 years younger. Simply put we don't need him or want him. Mikheyev for Johnson 1 for 1 is highly unlikely. Also doesn't help he is overpaid until he is 35. Even if he was amazing we couln't afford him. You also brought up trading Hyman. I'm going to put this simply: HYMAN IS UN-****ING-TOUCHABLE. He was on track for 60 pts this year with 35 goals. That is better then Jamie Benn. He also drives our top line, fights the puck out of every corner, and is paid to be a grinder. Helps he is scoring at a 1st line rate. Also helps he is paid 2.25m a year, about 1/3 of what he should be. He also grew up in Toronto, and has apparently agreed to take a MASSIVE hometown discount next year. I'm talking 4m x 4 years for someone who should be paid at least 6m.

Johnson would have a $4m caphit, so you could afford it.

Fair point about Mikheyev and Hyman. How about Kapanen instead?
rahuls_13 liked this.
May 22, 2020 at 4:55 p.m.
Dubas isnt a genius

Kapanen is 23, already established as a 40 pt guy, best penalty killing forward the leafs have, likely to hit 50-60 pts in his career, signed to a team friendly deal long(ish) term, and a key reason our forward depth is so good. Most people agree he is worth Severson.

Do you think Johnson is as good as Severson? And he's 8 years older.

There is no way in hell you get more then a 2nd for Johnson with 2m retained.
rahuls_13 liked this.
May 23, 2020 at 3:03 p.m.

Yeah although I'd like Johnson on the Leafs I just don't know how the Leafs would pull it off. As @firezfurx said already all 3 of Mikheyev, Hyman and Kapanen are too valuable to this team.
May 23, 2020 at 3:03 p.m.

Where did you hear about the 4m x 4 yr contract ? That's a GODDAMN STEAL if it's true.
May 23, 2020 at 3:09 p.m.
Dubas isnt a genius
Where did you hear about the 4m x 4 yr contract ? That's a GODDAMN STEAL if it's true.

This doesn't have a number but talks about him taking a team friendly deal:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/zach-hyman-talks-free-agency-want-leaf-long-time/

This puts him at 4.5m a season, but it was pre full-blown Covid and I think Dubas can get less
https://www.nhltradetalk.com/what-does-a-zach-hyman-extension-in-toronto-look-like/
rahuls_13 liked this.
May 23, 2020 at 5:46 p.m.
John 3 16
Kapanen is 23, already established as a 40 pt guy, best penalty killing forward the leafs have, likely to hit 50-60 pts in his career, signed to a team friendly deal long(ish) term, and a key reason our forward depth is so good. Most people agree he is worth Severson.

Do you think Johnson is as good as Severson? And he's 8 years older.

There is no way in hell you get more then a 2nd for Johnson with 2m retained.

Yeah although I'd like Johnson on the Leafs I just don't know how the Leafs would pull it off. As @firezfurx said already all 3 of Mikheyev, Hyman and Kapanen are too valuable to this team.

I'm sure Kapanen, Mikheyev, etc are valuable to you, but I would argue that your need for a defensive top 4 RHD who can eat 20mins+ a night with heavy defensive minutes is of even more value. Leafs fans will know just as well as anyone that top 4 RHD's are extremely difficult to acquire, certainly compared to the relative ease of finding middle-6 forwards.

As for the max. offer for Johnson at $4m being a 2nd, don't be silly. The guy is a defensive rock and gobbles up all the hardest minutes night after night. He might be overpaid at $6m but at $4m he's easily worth his contract and many teams would be happy to have him.
rahuls_13 liked this.
May 23, 2020 at 7:00 p.m.
I'm sure Kapanen, Mikheyev, etc are valuable to you, but I would argue that your need for a defensive top 4 RHD who can eat 20mins+ a night with heavy defensive minutes is of even more value. Leafs fans will know just as well as anyone that top 4 RHD's are extremely difficult to acquire, certainly compared to the relative ease of finding middle-6 forwards.

As for the max. offer for Johnson at $4m being a 2nd, don't be silly. The guy is a defensive rock and gobbles up all the hardest minutes night after night. He might be overpaid at $6m but at $4m he's easily worth his contract and many teams would be happy to have him.

Honestly I agree with you but the problem is that he'd be making 4 mil for 3 more years and on top of that he's 33. I just don't think he's worth the risk for Toronto. That being said you'd probably have a ton of other teams interested and I agree that you'd need to give more than a 2nd for Johnson at 4 mil.
Richard88 liked this.
May 23, 2020 at 7:31 p.m.
Dubas isnt a genius

Jesus ****ing Christ we don't want Johnson.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll