Forums/Armchair-GM

Ranking Top Prospects

Created by: BombSquad
Team: 2016-17 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 5, 2016
Published: Sep. 5, 2016
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
As of now, the NHL roster would look like this.

Here's How I would rank all of the prospects in the system:

Top 5 Centers:
1. Jake Guentzel
2. Oskar Sundqvist
3. Dominik Simon
4. Thomas DiPauli
5. Teddy Blueger

Wingers:
1. Daniel Sprong
2. Scott Wilson
3. Carter Rowney
4. Kasper Bjorkvist
5. Josh Archibald

Defensemen:
1. Ethan Prow
2. Lukas Bengtsson
3. Stuart Percy
4. Connor Hall
5. Cameron Gaunce

Goalies:
1. Tristan Jarry
2. Filip Gustavsson
3. Sean Maguire
4. Casey DeSmith
5. Brian Foster
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$73,000,000$68,346,141$0$940,000$4,653,859
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$667,500$667,500 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 9
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$640,000$640,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,875,000$1,875,000
LW
UFA - 3
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$625,000$625,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$628,333$628,333 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
G
UFA - 1
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 6
$3,300,000$3,300,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 5, 2016 at 7:13 p.m.
The center position is interesting for the Penguins prospects. While I would say Sundqvist has the best chance of being an NHL player, I also don't think he will crack the Penguins Top 6 at any point in his career. This is especially true under the current regime where you have a Sid line, a Malkin line, and a Kessel line (if it stays that way into next season). I don't see Sunqvist playing a Bonino type role, thus making him a 4th line center, which may not necessarily be a bad thing. If the Penguins were to part ways with Bonino after next season I would say Guentzal, given his offensive talents, would make a better 3rd line center next to Kessel than Sundqvist would. Makes for good competition between the likes of Simon, Dea, and Blueger to try and surpass either Sundqvist or Guenztal though. As we know, our centers have quite the history of getting jurt and being out for long stretches of the season.

I think DiPauli will end up on the left wing, possibly Blueger as well. After next season when Kunitz is gone the Penguins will need a power forward left winger to play next to either Sid or Malkin. Sheary was great in the playoffs but I'm not sure if he is a long term solution next to Sid, although I do really like Rust on Malkin's right side. Could very well see Hagelin move up to Sid's line, and maybe Blueger, Wilson, or Sheary play on Kessel's line.

As far as defense goes, I think the Penguins are fortunate to be in the situation they are in. Daley are Schultz are likely gone after next season, which opens up room for Pouliot, Prow, and Bentgsson. One of Prow or Bentgsson will likely play next to Cole on the 3rd pairing in 2017-2018, while Pouliot could play his off wing with Maatta. Of course there could be quite a bit of movement with the goalie situation and expansion which would change all of that.
BombSquad liked this.
Sep. 5, 2016 at 7:25 p.m.
Adomaitis
This is a good idea

My critiques:

Rowney is a center, that's exclusively what he plays in WBS these days, not to mention he is 26 and not really a prospect at this point.

Simon is seemingly seen as a LW by the origination, as that's all he played in his freshman season in North America. He is listed as a center because he played "mostly" center in Europe, but that's not likely happening in the Pens organization, but who knows.

Guentzel is in a similar situation, and I think we will see pretty quickly this season if the Pens see him more as a C or LW. He played both in college apparently, but played LW during his ATO.

Bengtsson is probably a better bet than Prow, as Bengtsson is over a year younger and has an edge in terms of skating. That's subjective though.

Gaunce isn't a prospect!

Byron, should probably rank above Archibald in terms of actual value at this point. Again though, subjective.
Sep. 5, 2016 at 7:33 p.m.
BombSquad
Quoting: Blynasty
The center position is interesting for the Penguins prospects. While I would say Sundqvist has the best chance of being an NHL player, I also don't think he will crack the Penguins Top 6 at any point in his career. This is especially true under the current regime where you have a Sid line, a Malkin line, and a Kessel line (if it stays that way into next season). I don't see Sunqvist playing a Bonino type role, thus making him a 4th line center, which may not necessarily be a bad thing. If the Penguins were to part ways with Bonino after next season I would say Guentzal, given his offensive talents, would make a better 3rd line center next to Kessel than Sundqvist would. Makes for good competition between the likes of Simon, Dea, and Blueger to try and surpass either Sundqvist or Guenztal though. As we know, our centers have quite the history of getting jurt and being out for long stretches of the season.

I think DiPauli will end up on the left wing, possibly Blueger as well. After next season when Kunitz is gone the Penguins will need a power forward left winger to play next to either Sid or Malkin. Sheary was great in the playoffs but I'm not sure if he is a long term solution next to Sid, although I do really like Rust on Malkin's right side. Could very well see Hagelin move up to Sid's line, and maybe Blueger, Wilson, or Sheary play on Kessel's line.

As far as defense goes, I think the Penguins are fortunate to be in the situation they are in. Daley are Schultz are likely gone after next season, which opens up room for Pouliot, Prow, and Bentgsson. One of Prow or Bentgsson will likely play next to Cole on the 3rd pairing in 2017-2018, while Pouliot could play his off wing with Maatta. Of course there could be quite a bit of movement with the goalie situation and expansion which would change all of that.
Agreed about Sundqvist. His 2 way game is perfectly suited for a bottom 6 center role, not a scoring line. Guentzel is a natural centerman but he can also play left wing and I think that might be his ticket into the top 6 because I can see him being NHL ready sooner than Sprong (especially now with his injury). No need to force either into the NHL this season though. Wilson is obviously the most NHL ready winger right now though, so he will probably get first crack if there's an injury on the wing or if one of our breakout guys from last year begins to seriously struggle. Simon is someone that very much intrigues me because there were stretches in WB last year where he had a seriously impressive scoring touch to go along with his generally responsible two way game. If he continues at the development rate he did last year, it wouldn't surprise me to see him hop everyone in the "next up pecking order" including Sundqvist, Guentzel, and even Wilson (because Simon could also play wing). The only thing I disagree with you on is Pouliot, as I can see him being taken in the expansion draft (unless he looks seriously bad this year). Letang, Dumoulin, and Maatta will be protected and the Pens are not in a position where they can afford to expose 3 extra forwards to protect 1 extra defenseman.
Sep. 5, 2016 at 7:50 p.m.
BombSquad
Quoting: Adamitis
This is a good idea

My critiques:

Rowney is a center, that's exclusively what he plays in WBS these days, not to mention he is 26 and not really a prospect at this point.

Simon is seemingly seen as a LW by the origination, as that's all he played in his freshman season in North America. He is listed as a center because he played "mostly" center in Europe, but that's not likely happening in the Pens organization, but who knows.

Guentzel is in a similar situation, and I think we will see pretty quickly this season if the Pens see him more as a C or LW. He played both in college apparently, but played LW during his ATO.

Bengtsson is probably a better bet than Prow, as Bengtsson is over a year younger and has an edge in terms of skating. That's subjective though.

Gaunce isn't a prospect!

Byron, should probably rank above Archibald in terms of actual value at this point. Again though, subjective.
The positional versatility of the forward prospects is a huge plus in my opinion. Guentzel, Rowney, Simon, and DiPauli can all rotate pretty seamlessly between C and wing. I included Percy and Gaunce on the list because while they are not home grown prospects, they are both relatively young guys who have never had an opportunity at regular NHL minutes. As opposed to guys like Oleksy, Warsofsky, Erixon etc where you pretty much know what you're going to get, those 2 still have a shot to develop in a new system. I went back and forth between Byron and Archibald, but Byron is still on the fence as to whether or not he even gets an ELC. I do disagree with you about Prow vs Bengtsson. Both have major upside, but Prow has looked more polished thus far and Bengtsson's European assignment clause concerns me. If he does opt to take the WBS assignment (because neither is cracking the NHL out of camp), then he definitely could hop Prow on the pecking order. But with so many middling 7D type guys like Percy/Gaunce/Warsofsky/Ruhwedel, I can't see either getting much if any NHL action right away.
Sep. 5, 2016 at 8:26 p.m.
Adomaitis
Gauce is 26 and has been an AHL regular with some NHL stints. He is a 7th D at his best and a great AHL at worst. Still gunna say he isn't a prospect over younger guys like Erixon (who is JUST barely a prospect in my eyes).

Do like Stuart Percy though!

Bengtsson said already a few times he will accept a AHL assignment, so that's not a big deal for me.

Otherwise cool
BombSquad liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll