Forums/Armchair-GM

Finishing touches

Created by: rbienens2
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 12, 2020
Published: Oct. 12, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
All internal shifts to become cap compliant with the current roster. Thoughts?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,000,000
2$1,250,000
2$800,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$81,180,616$0$0$319,384

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 12, 2020 at 4:23 p.m.
Mikheyev went to salary arbitration, and you think he's getting a 75k raise on a 2 year deal? or you think he signs that before the arbitrator decides?

I think he comes in at 1y $1.5M

And Dermott has played in 3 season to this point, I think he looks in the 1.75-2 for a 2y bridge
Oct. 12, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.
Banned
I still think this team needs to add another d-man. I don't think Holl should last a full season plus a deep playoff run as a top 4. I think Dubas will definitely address that.

I think the writing is on the wall for Dermott. He just doesn't fit in with the cap with wanting a raise and the depth on the left side. Use his value while he's still young and has potential to address other areas.

I think Mikheyev comes in slightly higher, personally I use the Pierre Engvall deal as a comparable. I could see him taking 1 year around $1.25M or 2 years slightly higher.

It seems like Dubas was shopping Andersen quite a bit. I think a change in net is coming. Plenty of teams looking for good goaltending so they'll be a good market for him.

& just my view personally, I don't think Robertson sticks around. Still young and could use some development. The addition of Joey Anderson and Jimmy Vesey kinds take his spot in the line up away. Let him tear up junior again (I believe he still has 1 year of eligibility left, but maybe go to the AHL) and then see where things are after the expansion draft with him.

I actually did something similar earlier you could check out to see the kinds moves I was talking about:
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2029781
rbienens2 liked this.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 4:33 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: KMMHL2012
Mikheyev went to salary arbitration, and you think he's getting a 75k raise on a 2 year deal? or you think he signs that before the arbitrator decides?

And Dermott has played in 3 season to this point, I think he looks in the 1.75-2 for a 2y bridge

I think they'll get a deal done before it goes. Remember he only played half a season which he was pretty inconsistent. Won't get a huge raise until he proves he's worth it
rbienens2 liked this.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 4:34 p.m.
BigRed
Probably The most realistic lineup if no other moves done, hope they're not done though
rbienens2 liked this.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 4:50 p.m.
Quoting: Ryminister_27
I think they'll get a deal done before it goes. Remember he only played half a season which he was pretty inconsistent. Won't get a huge raise until he proves he's worth it

don't know about that, 26 year old undrafted guy who was on a 55-60 point pace.

and with Arbitration he's guaranteed 1 year and then a UFA, or if not signed by the Leafs, UFA immediately.

I don't think he settles for that little, especially on 2 years.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 5:10 p.m.
Banned
don't know about that, 26 year old undrafted guy who was on a 55-60 point pace.

and with Arbitration he's guaranteed 1 year and then a UFA, or if not signed by the Leafs, UFA immediately.

I don't think he settles for that little, especially on 2 years.

I'm not sure the "on pace" with account for much in arbitration. Arbitrators look at what they've done and comparables, not what they mighta done. The severe injury is gonna hurt his case. He's realistically a 3rd liner at best. Nothing he's done so far suggest he's getting a big raise. I think the Engvall deal his the best comparable
rbienens2 liked this.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 5:20 p.m.
I'm not sure the "on pace" with account for much in arbitration. Arbitrators look at what they've done and comparables, not what they mighta done. The severe injury is gonna hurt his case. He's realistically a 3rd liner at best. Nothing he's done so far suggest he's getting a big raise. I think the Engvall deal his the best comparable

okay, his comparable point wise is Simmonds, last year they were basically a carbon copy in terms of production.

I don't see an Injury hurting him in negotiation or arbitration, a review of salary is prospective, he's not being based on the possibility of future injury, he's being paid on the basis of what his current production was with an accounting for projections.

as I said, $1.5M similar to Simmonds, and you think Engvall, at $1.25M, but I don't see him going 2y $1M.

I understand in this AGM you need him and Dermott on lower contracts to make it work, but I realistically don't see either signing at those values.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 5:25 p.m.
Banned
okay, his comparable point wise is Simmonds, last year they were basically a carbon copy in terms of production.

I don't see an Injury hurting him in negotiation or arbitration, a review of salary is prospective, he's not being based on the possibility of future injury, he's being paid on the basis of what his current production was with an accounting for projections.

as I said, $1.5M similar to Simmonds, and you think Engvall, at $1.25M, but I don't see him going 2y $1M.

I understand in this AGM you need him and Dermott on lower contracts to make it work, but I realistically don't see either signing at those values.

I never said 2 years at $1M. I said Engvall is the comparable. Both guys got off to hot starts and when Engvall signed his his play slowed down. Which would be similar to Mikheyev's injury then returning in the play ins where he was invisible. Sure, $1.5M works. But it's a smaller sample size than Simmonds. So a little less is nothing big. I'd say 1 or 2 years at$1.25M is more than fair
Oct. 12, 2020 at 6:10 p.m.
I never said 2 years at $1M. I said Engvall is the comparable. Both guys got off to hot starts and when Engvall signed his his play slowed down. Which would be similar to Mikheyev's injury then returning in the play ins where he was invisible. Sure, $1.5M works. But it's a smaller sample size than Simmonds. So a little less is nothing big. I'd say 1 or 2 years at$1.25M is more than fair

my bad, i assumed you were the OP.

all good!
Ryminister_27 liked this.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 6:12 p.m.

It was me who had the two years at 1m in my AGM. I'll explain my thought process:
Mikheyev came in and played pretty well and was on a solid middle 6 pace. Thing is, there are only specific things which are admissable into arbitration as evidence ad they are linked here. https://www.liveabout.com/nhl-salary-arbitration-explained-2778981

He played around 35 games in the NHL and then after he got injured another 5. He went those 5 pointless which can be used as a proof that his injury hurt his production. You arent allowed to hypothesise on possible points by projection in arbitration. Based on a tiny tiny tiny sample size at average pace theres almost no chance he gets a raise near what he wants. I have him at 950k but wanted to leave room so signed for 1m. plus, the leafs are going to push for a two year contract becuase its very likely going to be a bargain price.

Dermott didn't file for arbitration so the leafs can basically hold him in a stale mate until he signs what they want and the fact is that not signing him doesnt hurt them that much with the additions they made. if he wants to play in the NHL he's going to have to take a cut because all the power is in the Leafs court because he didnt file. For Nylander it was a huge problem and we needed it to end because we needed him in the roster, not the saem for dermott now. With Riley/Brodie Muzzin/Holl Sandin/Bogosian and Lehtonen we have a pretty good looking D core so Dermott has no leverage for a bigger contract.
Ryminister_27 liked this.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 6:16 p.m.
I still think this team needs to add another d-man. I don't think Holl should last a full season plus a deep playoff run as a top 4. I think Dubas will definitely address that.

I think the writing is on the wall for Dermott. He just doesn't fit in with the cap with wanting a raise and the depth on the left side. Use his value while he's still young and has potential to address other areas.

I think Mikheyev comes in slightly higher, personally I use the Pierre Engvall deal as a comparable. I could see him taking 1 year around $1.25M or 2 years slightly higher.

It seems like Dubas was shopping Andersen quite a bit. I think a change in net is coming. Plenty of teams looking for good goaltending so they'll be a good market for him.

& just my view personally, I don't think Robertson sticks around. Still young and could use some development. The addition of Joey Anderson and Jimmy Vesey kinds take his spot in the line up away. Let him tear up junior again (I believe he still has 1 year of eligibility left, but maybe go to the AHL) and then see where things are after the expansion draft with him.

I actually did something similar earlier you could check out to see the kinds moves I was talking about:
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2029781

I hear about Roberston and I'd actually be ok with him staying off the roster to mature a bit. Pencil in basically any other sub 1m contract fwd instead of him, we have a bunch signed now to create internal competition to weed out the ones who can't cut it.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 7:56 p.m.

I liked what you said about Robertson so I switched him for Vessey. Vessey and Kerfoot used to play together and supposedly were a great pair, and Vessey was always projected to be a really good player but never panned out. This could be his shot.
Oct. 12, 2020 at 10:26 p.m.

See my response above to Ryminister_27 for my explanation of signings

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll