Forums/Armchair-GM

Dont Trade a 99 Point Guy Shake Up Lines

Created by: PhatRas
Team: 2020-21 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 20, 2020
Published: Oct. 20, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Gaudreau won't get traded. Rittich and Ryan are the only two possibilities and neither make a ton of sense.

Flames fans what do we think of these lines?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$69,401,666$0$882,500$12,098,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
$6,375,000$6,375,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,425,000$2,425,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 2
$2,550,000$2,550,000
C
UFA - 1
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NTC
UFA - 4
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
$3,125,000$3,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,375,000$3,375,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
UFA - 4
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,375,000$1,375,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 20, 2020 at 5:58 p.m.
Bennet 2C ahead of Backlund?
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
Quoting: dzad96

Some Flames fans still have their heads up Bennett's ass. Seem to think because of a good playoff he will suddenly become the player they hoped, rather than the chronic disappointment that he is.
dzad96 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:04 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Lunatik
Some Flames fans still have their heads up Bennett's ass. Seem to think because of a good playoff he will suddenly become the player they hoped, rather than the chronic disappointment that he is.

Hahahah jesus, cool off. If you're that caught up in what number line he plays on then change it. He is playing between Lindholm and Tkachuk here which completely covers him defensively, he doesn't have to be an 82 game spark plug because of Tkachuk and he is a great retrieval guy for Lindholm, it's really a simple thing.

Backlund is the significantly better defensive C and will get the heavy lifting against the other teams top line, I have him with Dube for the fact that he has worked wonders for sheltering young guys like Tkachuk and Mangiapane most recently, I ahve explained above what my thoughts are on Bennett, I don't think he is a 2C but I think that that line makes a lot of sense.
dzad96 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:07 p.m.
Quoting: PhatRas
Hahahah jesus, cool off. If you're that caught up in what number line he plays on then change it. He is playing between Lindholm and Tkachuk here which completely covers him defensively, he doesn't have to be an 82 game spark plug because of Tkachuk and he is a great retrieval guy for Lindholm, it's really a simple thing.

Backlund is the significantly better defensive C and will get the heavy lifting against the other teams top line, I have him with Dube for the fact that he has worked wonders for sheltering young guys like Tkachuk and Mangiapane most recently, I ahve explained above what my thoughts are on Bennett, I don't think he is a 2C but I think that that line makes a lot of sense.

I just don't think Bennet helps those guys enough on his line. I like the Flames roster tho. One star power offensive guy away from being serious contenders IMO. Solid team tho, Markstrom is a huge add.
PhatRas liked this.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:07 p.m.
You're right, it is simple. Bennett is a failure at every turn, he should not be in the top 6, last thing we need is him dragging down Tkachuk and Lindholm. Bennett is a bottom 6 forward.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:15 p.m.
Banned
I just don't think Bennet helps those guys enough on his line. I like the Flames roster tho. One star power offensive guy away from being serious contenders IMO. Solid team tho, Markstrom is a huge add.

This is the problem with the Flames, it's cyclical, if you look at their prospect pool right now it is full of guys just like the ones on the roster right now, good middle to top six players lacking a serious punch.. comes from consistent mediocrity!
dzad96 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:19 p.m.
This is the problem with the Flames, it's cyclical, if you look at their prospect pool right now it is full of guys just like the ones on the roster right now, good middle to top six players lacking a serious punch.. comes from consistent mediocrity!

Yep Flames and Habs have been stuck in that consistent mediocracy cycle for ever. Always too good to draft high but never good enough to make a run. Hope they can get by a few rounds this year. Always more fun come playoff time when a canadian team goes deep. Like Winnipeg a couple years ago.
PhatRas liked this.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:20 p.m.
Banned
You're right, it is simple. Bennett is a failure at every turn, he should not be in the top 6, last thing we need is him dragging down Tkachuk and Lindholm. Bennett is a bottom 6 forward.

Haha you will just continue to live up to your username eh? Cool off, hit the brakes for a sec and breathe. It will be okay. Bennett has been a good middle six player that was drafted way too high, it's unfortunate but time to utilize him as such. His play style is far from lining up with Gaudreau and Monahan like it has been tried before, this has never been looked at, both players on this line are more complete players than Monahan and Gaudreau and it's a really well rounded line. There is an offensive punch from Tkachuk and Lindholm, Lindholm is a phenomenal puck handler low and allows guys to get open and Bennett whether you like it or not is a solid trigger man with a good shot. Bennett and Tkachuk set up as a great cycle option and Lindholm keeps the play alive. If you want to try discredit all that without just screech "BENNETT BAD!!!" then go for it.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:26 p.m.
Haha you will just continue to live up to your username eh? Cool off, hit the brakes for a sec and breathe. It will be okay. Bennett has been a good middle six player that was drafted way too high, it's unfortunate but time to utilize him as such. His play style is far from lining up with Gaudreau and Monahan like it has been tried before, this has never been looked at, both players on this line are more complete players than Monahan and Gaudreau and it's a really well rounded line. There is an offensive punch from Tkachuk and Lindholm, Lindholm is a phenomenal puck handler low and allows guys to get open and Bennett whether you like it or not is a solid trigger man with a good shot. Bennett and Tkachuk set up as a great cycle option and Lindholm keeps the play alive. If you want to try discredit all that without just screech "BENNETT BAD!!!" then go for it.

I think PhatRas has watched a few flames games in his day lol.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:27 p.m.
Banned
I think PhatRas has watched a few flames games in his day lol.

I've certainly watched enough! I used to scout for Kelowna as well so little things stand out!
dzad96 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.
No, Bennett has been an okay 3rd line player. He hasn't been close to a good top 6 player. He literally hasn't had a 30 point season since his rookie year. Bennett needs to be better than a 26/27 point player that bangs before he deserves top 6 minutes.

Let me put this into perspective for you, Bennett's offensive production the past 3 years, is comparable to Jankowski's
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:35 p.m.
I've certainly watched enough! I used to scout for Kelowna as well so little things stand out!

And Mike Milbury used to be an NHL General Manager
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:40 p.m.
Banned
No, Bennett has been an okay 3rd line player. He hasn't been close to a good top 6 player. He literally hasn't had a 30 point season since his rookie year. Bennett needs to be better than a 26/27 point player that bangs before he deserves top 6 minutes.

Let me put this into perspective for you, Bennett's offensive production the past 3 years, is comparable to Jankowski's

That's not a perspective, that's cherry picking an argument. Bennett's production came 5 on 5 not from being out of position on the PK, Jankowski scored 4 goals in the last game of the season when nothing mattered to even get to his career high, all while bringing absolutely nothing to the game outside of leaving the zone early on the penalty kill. Bennett can play a better C than Jankowski could, is better defensively and maintains possession significantly better. Not once in my argument have I said he's top six, you're dragging that out to fit your bill. Bennett on a line that has offensive zone starts and is expected to cycle the puck is a good player, look at his Kingston days, he rarely scored off the rush it was maintained zone time and finding seams which is exactly what Tkachuk and Lindholm do.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:41 p.m.
Banned
And Mike Milbury used to be an NHL General Manager

And he is lightyears smarter than anything said on this website... what a horrible comparison. If it's that easy go do it kiddo.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:47 p.m.
That's not a perspective, that's cherry picking an argument. Bennett's production came 5 on 5 not from being out of position on the PK, Jankowski scored 4 goals in the last game of the season when nothing mattered to even get to his career high, all while bringing absolutely nothing to the game outside of leaving the zone early on the penalty kill. Bennett can play a better C than Jankowski could, is better defensively and maintains possession significantly better. Not once in my argument have I said he's top six, you're dragging that out to fit your bill. Bennett on a line that has offensive zone starts and is expected to cycle the puck is a good player, look at his Kingston days, he rarely scored off the rush it was maintained zone time and finding seams which is exactly what Tkachuk and Lindholm do.
In 3 years Bennett managed 4 more ES points than Jankowski despite moving up into the top 6 whenever an additional body was needed. Bennett is a 3rd liner, deal with it dude.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:48 p.m.
And he is lightyears smarter than anything said on this website... what a horrible comparison. If it's that easy go do it kiddo.

Dude, I don't believe for a second you were a scout. You are just some dip**** on a message board trying to make himself look like he is more than he is.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 6:53 p.m.
Banned
Dude, I don't believe for a second you were a scout. You are just some dip**** on a message board trying to make himself look like he is more than he is.

Hahaha that’s a you problem then pal! Just cause you can’t get out of Lethbridge doesn’t mean that life stops outside your world! You’ve missed the entire point about how play styles work, of course he doesn’t fit with Gaudreau, that’s a given. Very simple concepts here, just a little out of your depth!
Oct. 20, 2020 at 7:03 p.m.
Hahaha that’s a you problem then pal! Just cause you can’t get out of Lethbridge doesn’t mean that life stops outside your world! You’ve missed the entire point about how play styles work, of course he doesn’t fit with Gaudreau, that’s a given. Very simple concepts here, just a little out of your depth!
Pretending you know what you are talking about doesn't mean you do. Saying it like an arrogant **** and insulting where I choose to live doesn't make you right.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 7:18 p.m.
Banned
Pretending you know what you are talking about doesn't mean you do. Saying it like an arrogant **** and insulting where I choose to live doesn't make you right.

It doesn’t at all, but knowing what I’m talking about, having and argument that’s valid and making fun of Leth Vegas is all fun in my eyes!
Oct. 20, 2020 at 7:19 p.m.
It doesn’t at all, but knowing what I’m talking about, having and argument that’s valid and making fun of Leth Vegas is all fun in my eyes!

Whatever makes you feel better about yourself dude.
Oct. 20, 2020 at 7:22 p.m.
Banned
Whatever makes you feel better about yourself dude.

Look at how quick and ready you were to divert from hockey and run away cowering as soon as I said your out of your depth. Actions speak louder than words kiddo!
Oct. 20, 2020 at 7:47 p.m.
Banned
No, I learned a long time ago not to debate with the delusional, now kindly **** off and die

Hahahahaha!! My god that’s awesome!! If I was as self loathing as you were I would have died by now! I can hear the winds of stinky Lethbridge howling through your empty head from here!
Oct. 20, 2020 at 11:01 p.m.
I mean.... IF the Flames had a perennial 99 point guy, they probably should hold onto him. They don't. So the title doesn't make sense. And this team gets bounced in the first round again, if it makes playoffs at all.
Oct. 21, 2020 at 12:00 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Different_Perspective_85
I mean.... IF the Flames had a perennial 99 point guy, they probably should hold onto him. They don't. So the title doesn't make sense. And this team gets bounced in the first round again, if it makes playoffs at all.

Did he get 99 points??
Oct. 23, 2020 at 6:14 p.m.
Did he get 99 points??

I'm sure you've heard the saying :There are guys who score 20 goals a year (think Monahan) and guys who have scored 20 goals a year (remember Bouma or Colburne.) Gaudreau MAY score 99 points again (I will bet you a $1000 he doesn't) someday. But, barring an unlikely/improbable blockbuster that doesn't involve him, he won't do it again in CGY. In fact, I bet the Flames will be over the moon if he can come close to maintaining a point per game pace, which I also don't see happening without a drastic upgrade with his linemates. Don't misunderstand me, he is a really good player. It's not even 100% on him. He's limited by the potential, skillsets & playing style of his linemates. He's proven, repeatedly, he is not good enough to elevate his teammates, or even maintain his own level of play consistently when the games get more physical and time/space get taken away. There are about 10-15 players on the NHL who have the skills & IQ to help create space for him when the games get hard. None of those players play on CGY.

For what its worth, in my humble opinion, it is the same reason why Gio disappears in playoffs as well. The speed and intensity get ratcheted up vs regular season when teams pace themselves. and that 0.5 second completely takes away their ability to make plays with the same level of dependability or proficiency. They are regular season greats because they can make the most of every second and they can rely on the officiating to prevent taking too much of a physical toll. Playoffs are a different animal. To be completely honest it's my humble opinion this team is no where close to championship caliber so I say send Gaudreau to a team where he can slot in much like Kessel did in Pittsburgh, and Gio to a team where he can slot like McDonagh. Acquire prospects & draft picks to give the Flames an ability to do what they actually do well know, draft & develop to acquire a truly elite, gamebreaker like Hedman, Pietrangelo, Crosby/Malkin, Toews/Kane, McDavid, Eichel, etc. That is the only way they will ever be able to do so as teams don't trade players of that caliber often and they almost never hit FA at an age you don't cripple yourself cap wise to acquire.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll