Forums/Armchair-GM

next year mid season possibilities

Created by: pharrow
Team: 2021-22 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 9, 2021
Published: Apr. 9, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Pretty sure by midseason Caulfield could be the starting 4C next year if they sign him.
He's more than talented enough to make that jump. He's a heavy player with a grinding style and deceptive speed. He's just perfect for that role. I can really see that 4th line coming together at this point.
They are gonna need to make room here. They want "bigger" "gritty" players, they have them. They only have to play them. They have to move a few people to make room in Lafferty and Riikola.
By mid season I think Poulin will be chomping at the bit to play. I don't see him sitting in WBS long. When he does come up, if he plays well, it's gonna cause some problems, because who gets sent down and loses ice time. The LW is stacked. The right wing is almost as good.
At some point something has to give.
They will have a hole in 3RD, maybe they play youth, maybe the sign a guy. Nothing big. But I think they move Chad out and Friedman becomes that 7th guy or more if he can prove it.
POJ gets another crack at bottom pairing. We'll see. The 3rd pairing defense is going to be the biggest hole. I think they keep Riiikola because of that but they got almost 4 mil in cap space to deal with the defense.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$2,000,000
2$1,000,000
3$1,500,000
Trades
PIT
    Seattle: I like ZAR, but there is nothing they can do here. They are gonna lose a good player. They protect Blueger and McCann and Tanev. by giving them ZAR and they take Matheson.
    TBL
    1. Aston-Reese, Zach
    2. Matheson, Michael
    3. 2021 2nd round pick (PIT)
    PIT
    1. 2022 6th round pick (NSH)
    Additional Details:
    Chad either goes to the AHL or they trade him to another team to be the 7th guy.
    Sam is good enough to be a 4th liner on many teams. Not looking to break the bank on any of this. But they should be given a chance somewhere that could use the help.
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    24$81,500,000$77,061,841$0$1,145,000$4,438,159
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,940,000$2,940,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $725,000$725,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    RW
    RFA
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $4,025,175$4,025,175
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $4,400,000$4,400,000
    RD
    UFA - 6
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $853,333$853,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $863,333$863,333
    C, LW
    RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 10, 2021 at 3:57 a.m.
    What is this? ...Pay them 2nd and Aston-Reese to dump Matheson? ....No thanks. I would rather let them choose what they want. (Zucker, Tanev, Aston-Reese,...)
    Apr. 10, 2021 at 7:05 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: mike384
    What is this? ...Pay them 2nd and Aston-Reese to dump Matheson? ....No thanks. I would rather let them choose what they want. (Zucker, Tanev, Aston-Reese,...)

1st, losing Zucker isn't helping the team.
    2nd they probably don't choose ZAR over Blueger or McCann of which you will lose one.
    3nd if they were to take Blueger or ZAR, you will still be moving someone out for cap space. So you are going to lose 2 players. If you take Poulin out you are 3.8 million over the cap. If you remove POJ you are 4.6-4.7 and over the cap. Matheson is 4.8. You are over the cap. You'll be scrapping by on the cap and if you want to find a 3RD if Maniscalco or Friedman aren't it, you don't have the cap space too. You do realize that this is an issue. That most likely someone has to go. Which is why every other ACGM on here has them moving a defenseman. Simply moving ZAR, doesn't solve that. They will in the end have to move Matheson anyway. While I agree it shouldn't cost this much, the reality is, they can select ZAR anyway, leaving us with a headache. So just let them take them both and a 2nd and be done with it.

4th you need to create space in the lineup somewhere. They are so deep at LW. Jake, Zucker, McCann, Poulin. that's 4 guys who are probably close to if not already top 6 guys. By mid season he's probably playing for the penguins. You add in Caulfield by mid season as your bottom 4C, and you take Zoho as being permanent on the 4th line and what roster space do you have for him? Someone has to go if he's to play. It most likely means he goes to 3rd line and Tanev comes down to the 4th line with one of either Angello or Zoho coming out.
    At this rate ZAR would most certainly be the one sat if he was on the team. Some one will get moved or sat if Poulin plays. There is no doubt about that.

You are going to have to make space on this roster. Competition drives a better roster. You can't keep everyone and you can't play everyone and you surely can't PAY everyone.
    Even if you were to keep ZAR, where are you going to play him here. Yes you could play him 4th line. But for how long. You got bigger players who can play the same defensive checking role as he can. Who are all nipping at the heels. Where are you going to put him? Who has to sit for you to do that?
    You just don't have the roster space to play everyone. Eventually someone is going to be the odd man out.
    So they have to make it work somehow.
    This is probably the easiest way to do this.
    Apr. 10, 2021 at 8:47 a.m.
    Edited Apr. 10, 2021 at 8:58 a.m.
    Quoting: pharrow
    1st, losing Zucker isn't helping the team.
    2nd they probably don't choose ZAR over Blueger or McCann of which you will lose one.
    3nd if they were to take Blueger or ZAR, you will still be moving someone out for cap space. So you are going to lose 2 players. If you take Poulin out you are 3.8 million over the cap. If you remove POJ you are 4.6-4.7 and over the cap. Matheson is 4.8. You are over the cap. You'll be scrapping by on the cap and if you want to find a 3RD if Maniscalco or Friedman aren't it, you don't have the cap space too. You do realize that this is an issue. That most likely someone has to go. Which is why every other ACGM on here has them moving a defenseman. Simply moving ZAR, doesn't solve that. They will in the end have to move Matheson anyway. While I agree it shouldn't cost this much, the reality is, they can select ZAR anyway, leaving us with a headache. So just let them take them both and a 2nd and be done with it.

4th you need to create space in the lineup somewhere. They are so deep at LW. Jake, Zucker, McCann, Poulin. that's 4 guys who are probably close to if not already top 6 guys. By mid season he's probably playing for the penguins. You add in Caulfield by mid season as your bottom 4C, and you take Zoho as being permanent on the 4th line and what roster space do you have for him? Someone has to go if he's to play. It most likely means he goes to 3rd line and Tanev comes down to the 4th line with one of either Angello or Zoho coming out.
    At this rate ZAR would most certainly be the one sat if he was on the team. Some one will get moved or sat if Poulin plays. There is no doubt about that.

You are going to have to make space on this roster. Competition drives a better roster. You can't keep everyone and you can't play everyone and you surely can't PAY everyone.
    Even if you were to keep ZAR, where are you going to play him here. Yes you could play him 4th line. But for how long. You got bigger players who can play the same defensive checking role as he can. Who are all nipping at the heels. Where are you going to put him? Who has to sit for you to do that?
    You just don't have the roster space to play everyone. Eventually someone is going to be the odd man out.
    So they have to make it work somehow.
    This is probably the easiest way to do this.

No, Pitts don't need Zucker at all, he is just too costly and handcuffs Hextall's hands...and for what? McCann will be playing at that spot or will be looking for someone new (maybe they fill it internally with Poulin).
    I wouldn't mind to give up on ZAR, but I'm not willing to pay 2nd round. I would protect Crosby,Malkin,Guentzel,Rust,McCann,Kapannen,Blueger,Letang,Dumoulin,Pettersson. So they will be forced to take one of the names I mentioned earlier. If they take Zucker we have cap space, if they don't, we have other possibilities how to clear cap space. Trade out Pettersson for a pick. I don't get it why you think they're going to keep Pettersson over Matheson. I have faith in Friedman that he's the answer to 3RD, and if he isn't, it is not a big deal.
    Apr. 10, 2021 at 9:13 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: mike384
    No, Pitts don't need Zucker at all, he is just too costly and handcuffs Hextall's hands...and for what? McCann will be playing at that spot or will be looking for someone new (maybe they fill it internally with Poulin).
    I wouldn't mind to give up on ZAR, but I'm not willing to pay 2nd round. I would protect Crosby,Malkin,Guentzel,Rust,McCann,Kapannen,Blueger,Letang,Dumoulin,Pettersson. So they will be forced to take one of the names I mentioned earlier. If they take Zucker we have cap space, if they don't, we have other possibilities how to clear cap space. Trade out Pettersson for a pick. I don't get it why you think they're going to keep Pettersson over Matheson. I have faith in Friedman that he's the answer to 3RD, and if he isn't, it is not a big deal.

Because Matheson is far worse in his own zone than Pettersson and everyone knows this.
    You already have POJ who needs to be sheltered in that 3rd role, you aren't going to shelter the whole defense and think that's going to help you win. Don't bother arguing that POJ point either he got benched this year when they had 0 defense healthy and his play at WBS hasn't been all that great since.
    Giving up Zucker does not make the penguins a better team. He has far more value in a trade than ZAR and a 2nd. Moving Matheson to another team n a flat cap world probably isn't nearly as easy as you think.
    This is the smart move. It would take more than ZAR to move Matheson to Seattle. If all they wanted was ZAR they could just take him. This way they get ZAR and a pick to take Matheson.
    If you don't want Zucker there that's fine, you are more likely to trade him out for another top 6 winger than anyone else you are talking about.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll