Forums/Armchair-GM

Sabres

Team: 2021-22 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 22, 2021
Published: Apr. 22, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Granato hired as HC.

Sabres protect: Eichel/Voracek/Reinhart/Olofsson/Bjork/Mittelstadt/Asplund (skinner waives knowing hes not getting picked), Dahlin/Jokiharju/Borgen, Allen (Ullmark signed after expansion draft).

Seattle has Skinner (not picking him), thompson, girgensons, tokarski, miller to choose from. pick miller due to last year of contract and ability to play both sides and on pp.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,200,000
2$800,000
3$5,000,000
2$2,000,000
2$1,750,000
5$7,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
1$750,000
2$3,000,000
3$4,500,000
2$2,250,000
1$850,000
1$850,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Voracek, Jakub
Additional Details:
would they move voracek? 24.75 million left on that contract through age 34. get 2 2nds and a RHD. Not sure the value due to the contract. i know he can still play
PHI
  1. Ristolainen, Rasmus
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (BUF)
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (BUF)
BUF
    seattle
    BUF
    1. Allen, Jake
    Additional Details:
    montreal gets a 2nd for a guy they were going to lose for free. sign any of the good UFA goalies as backups and move on.
    MTL
    1. 2021 2nd round pick (BOS)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$72,522,250$113,916$850,000$8,977,750

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
    $8,250,000$8,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $3,050,000$3,050,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $9,000,000$9,000,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    LW, C
    RFA - 3
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $2,200,000$2,200,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 2
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    LW, C
    RFA - 2
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 4
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    G
    UFA - 4
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $889,166$889,166
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $2,875,000$2,875,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $850,000$850,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 9:41 a.m.
    Quoting: F50marco
    Honestly trading Allen is probably not worth it as ensuring Seattle takes him is value in itself but depending on how the Habs play these last 12 games and playoffs could change my mind on whether id accept this. If Habs somehow miss the playoffs, everyone is gone so hes all yours! Doubt that happens though so chances are theyll keep him to give to Seattle if they want him.

honestly, youd rather lose allen for nothing and keep a depth defensemen than obtain 6.3 million in cap space and gain a 2nd?

you can sign a back up goalie, a depth defensemen and pay your RFAs, or go fishing for a bigger UFA
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 9:46 a.m.
    Quoting: Shibbal18
    he also has a 60.5% dzone start this year, the highest in his career, and played 24 minutes.

I still believe you take Risto off Buffalo's roster and drop him on Vegas's or Boston's back end, people would be complaining way less...

Play him max 20 mins a night with a good vet partner and clear cut first pairing ahead of him on the depth chart and we'd all see a lot less bone headed mistakes and less of him trying to force impact the game and just play simple hockey.
    Shibbal18 liked this.
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 9:48 a.m.
    I still believe you take Risto off Buffalo's roster and drop him on Vegas's or Boston's back end, people would be complaining way less...

Play him max 20 mins a night with a good vet partner and clear cut first pairing ahead of him on the depth chart and we'd all see a lot less bone headed mistakes and less of him trying to force impact the game and just play simple hockey.

i do not agree with that at all.

he may be sheltered more, but his mistakes are not due to overuse.

its been 8 years, scores of partners, different systems. he is who he is.
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 9:59 a.m.
    Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
    honestly, youd rather lose allen for nothing and keep a depth defensemen than obtain 6.3 million in cap space and gain a 2nd?

you can sign a back up goalie, a depth defensemen and pay your RFAs, or go fishing for a bigger UFA

Cap space is only good if you have someone to use it on. No guarantees Habs get better players to come play in Montreal which historically have not. This offseason was their best offseason in like 10+ years in free agency but i think the pandemic had a lot to do with it.

Allen has been good for Habs, Chiarot or Edmundson have both been really good for the Habs. Dont WANT to lose any of them but if i have to, preferably only 1.
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:02 a.m.
    i do not agree with that at all.

he may be sheltered more, but his mistakes are not due to overuse.

its been 8 years, scores of partners, different systems. he is who he is.

Yeah but throughout those years this team has been garbage every single time. Hes been developed in a bad system that hasnt corrected his mistakes and rely to heavily on him.

He needs to not be the big minute guy and also good coaching and a veteran presense to put him in his place.

Just to be clear, im not saying he'll be a stud. Just not nearly as bad as ppl say he is.
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:06 a.m.
    Yeah but throughout those years this team has been garbage every single time. Hes been developed in a bad system that hasnt corrected his mistakes and rely to heavily on him.

He needs to not be the big minute guy and also good coaching and a veteran presense to put him in his place.

Just to be clear, im not saying he'll be a stud. Just not nearly as bad as ppl say he is.

He is a big part of the reason why the team is bad!
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:06 a.m.
    Cap space is only good if you have someone to use it on. No guarantees Habs get better players to come play in Montreal which historically have not. This offseason was their best offseason in like 10+ years in free agency but i think the pandemic had a lot to do with it.

Allen has been good for Habs, Chiarot or Edmundson have both been really good for the Habs. Dont WANT to lose any of them but if i have to, preferably only 1.

I happen to find chariot very replaceable. plus you get a draft pick.
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:12 a.m.
    https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/437733 Here's a habs fan who likes allen AND kulak for a 2nd. and theres you arguing with them

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/441586 heres another one in full disclosure,

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/441875 no push back here

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/442056 oh look a supportive habs fan...oh wait 2 of them

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/442265 only you fighting me again.

and then there is todays post.

i went back 2 pages of my own threads and besides you and people not accounting for the expansion draft, no one complaining about the trade.

1st one is fair and I will concede to that one.

2nd one doesn't have a Montreal fan saying it was good infact the only thing that was said was "The problem with MON trading Alen is that they have to lose someone for nothing and if they trade Allen then it is probably on of their low cost Dmen." Which neither supports your side or mine.

3rd one has no comment either way so has to be discounted.

4th one says the return is nice but also says we would rather trade some picks plus Chiarot than lose Allen which argues both sides again.

5th one like you said is only us arguing our own positions so again gets discounted.

So after all that you found 1 fan agrees with you in 2 pages of your threads, congrats. Side note just cause no one argues with you like in 2 of the threads you posted above doesn't mean they agree with you. It could just simply mean they are tired of seeing this trade proposal!
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:13 a.m.
    He is a big part of the reason why the team is bad!

Yeah, no team is bad because of one player. Taking Risto out of this lineup will not make a single difference to the standings for Buffalo. lol

I happen to find chariot very replaceable. plus you get a draft pick.

Replaceable? You seem to be under the assumption every free agent Dman capable of playing MTL's top pairing minutes at 3.5M a year..... is at MTL's disposal.
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:15 a.m.
    Quoting: Campabee
    1st one is fair and I will concede to that one.

2nd one doesn't have a Montreal fan saying it was good infact the only thing that was said was "The problem with MON trading Alen is that they have to lose someone for nothing and if they trade Allen then it is probably on of their low cost Dmen." Which neither supports your side or mine.

3rd one has no comment either way so has to be discounted.

4th one says the return is nice but also says we would rather trade some picks plus Chiarot than lose Allen which argues both sides again.

5th one like you said is only us arguing our own positions so again gets discounted.

So after all that you found 1 fan agrees with you in 2 pages of your threads, congrats. Side note just cause no one argues with you like in 2 of the threads you posted above doesn't mean they agree with you. It could just simply mean they are tired of seeing this trade proposal!

i posted every trade i made for allen in full disclosure.

more than one fan agreed.

one or two others that disagreed said so in a way that didnt acknowledge the expansion draft (example that they should keep allen over price)

you are fine to disagree with me of course and your points are valid. but to act like it is an unreasonable trade or scenario is silly in my opinion.
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:19 a.m.

This is entirely my argument but somehow he seems to think that giving up a 1B goalie and a top 4 D man for a 2nd should be acceptable. That would be like Arrizona giving up Raanta (if he was not a FA) plus Goligoski (again assuming he was not a FA) for a 2nd. No team wants to lose 2 very good assets for very little in return. They would much rather lose the one player and deal with the fallout from that.
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:20 a.m.
    Yeah, no team is bad because of one player. Taking Risto out of this lineup will not make a single difference to the standings for Buffalo. lol

Replaceable? You seem to be under the assumption every free agent Dman capable of playing MTL's top pairing minutes at 3.5M a year..... is at MTL's disposal.

he is barely playing more than edmudson and i would say a guy like jake mccabe, alex edler, ben hutton, alec martinez, jon merrill, ryan murray, patrik nemeth, jamie oleksiak, mike reilly, jordie benn, ian cole, alex goligoski, hjalmarsson coupled with edmudson, kulak and even romanov is just fine.

just because someone plays a lot of minutes, doesnt mean they are good. example: ristolainen!
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:23 a.m.
    This is entirely my argument but somehow he seems to think that giving up a 1B goalie and a top 4 D man for a 2nd should be acceptable. That would be like Arrizona giving up Raanta (if he was not a FA) plus Goligoski (again assuming he was not a FA) for a 2nd. No team wants to lose 2 very good assets for very little in return. They would much rather lose the one player and deal with the fallout from that.

you are going to lose allen for nothing. now you will lose a depth defensemen for nothing. you simply replace the depth defensemen and backup goalie with the 6.3 million you gained (and give yourself caproom to sign your RFAs and possibly replace other ufas) and you get a draft pick for your troubles.

or are we content with keeping together a team that might squeak into the playoffs in the worst division in hockey?
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:25 a.m.
    montreal has 15.4 million in cap space for next year and has only 14 players under contract.

you have 6 forwards under contract. and will have to either resign or replace more than half of your top 9.

and you are terrified of losing ben chariot?
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:26 a.m.
    i posted every trade i made for allen in full disclosure.

more than one fan agreed.

one or two others that disagreed said so in a way that didnt acknowledge the expansion draft (example that they should keep allen over price)

you are fine to disagree with me of course and your points are valid. but to act like it is an unreasonable trade or scenario is silly in my opinion.

The one that said he would rather lose Price was taking into account the ED he was just saying he would rather ask Price to waive and be taken by Seattle because Allen has been better than Price this season. That is not the same as not taking into account the ED. When I say that the value is not there I am not referring to just Allen for a 2nd cause that isn't the entire scenario. I am referring to trading a 1B goalie then losing a top 4 D man (who plays our top pair) all for JUST a 2nd in return. It would be much smarter IMO to just lose 1 asset for nothing than replacing him in FA than to try and fill 2 major holes in FA. Especially considering that Montreal has had a hard time attracting FA's historically.
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:34 a.m.
    The one that said he would rather lose Price was taking into account the ED he was just saying he would rather ask Price to waive and be taken by Seattle because Allen has been better than Price this season. That is not the same as not taking into account the ED. When I say that the value is not there I am not referring to just Allen for a 2nd cause that isn't the entire scenario. I am referring to trading a 1B goalie then losing a top 4 D man (who plays our top pair) all for JUST a 2nd in return. It would be much smarter IMO to just lose 1 asset for nothing than replacing him in FA than to try and fill 2 major holes in FA. Especially considering that Montreal has had a hard time attracting FA's historically.

price when healthy plays 60+ games. back up goali is not a major hole and there are a dozen guys you can sign to play 25 games.

replacing chariot is not difficult. just because he is finally playing more than 18 minutes a night in montreal (unlike winnipeg where he was correctly slotted) doesn't mean he is very good all of a sudden.
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:39 a.m.
    he is barely playing more than edmudson and i would say a guy like jake mccabe, alex edler, ben hutton, alec martinez, jon merrill, ryan murray, patrik nemeth, jamie oleksiak, mike reilly, jordie benn, ian cole, alex goligoski, hjalmarsson coupled with edmudson, kulak and even romanov is just fine.

just because someone plays a lot of minutes, doesnt mean they are good. example: ristolainen!

You just named a bunch of guys who either are older, slower, CLEARLY not as good, or are better but will be tough to sign. So yeah if the Habs can get a guy like Martinez for 3.5M to replace Chiarot, than by all means your right but no one know if he would sign here before hand and chances are he won't sign here for 3.5M..

Saying Hutton or Nemeth or BENN is just fine is what will lead to this team being in the same position as Buffalo next year. Yeah.....No they aren't just fine.

Not sure why you assumed I said higher minutes = good? I said he has been playing MTL's top pairing minutes and has been doing very good overall. This year he had a slight dip but when he went down with injury we saw how much we missed him. It was night and day.

Chiarot is a top 4 dman on a good contract. He isn't just a depth dman.
    Campabee liked this.
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:42 a.m.
    price when healthy plays 60+ games. back up goali is not a major hole and there are a dozen guys you can sign to play 25 games.

replacing chariot is not difficult. just because he is finally playing more than 18 minutes a night in montreal (unlike winnipeg where he was correctly slotted) doesn't mean he is very good all of a sudden.

The reason they brought in Allen was to reduce the number of games price plays to between 50-55. With his play this year Allen has made the argument that they can further reduce this to between 40-45 games.

I get that you don't like Chiarot bet your bias is affecting your player evaluation. Is Chiarot ideally a top pairing guy? Of course not, but he is still more than a depth player D man for Montreal. Losing both him and Allen for just a 2nd coupled with the difficulty in attracting good FA's makes this type of trade unacceptable. Like I said earlier and many times before, in a vacuum Allen for a 2nd is fair but not Allen + Chiarot for a 2nd which is basically what this is.
    F50marco liked this.
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:56 a.m.
    The reason they brought in Allen was to reduce the number of games price plays to between 50-55. With his play this year Allen has made the argument that they can further reduce this to between 40-45 games.

I get that you don't like Chiarot bet your bias is affecting your player evaluation. Is Chiarot ideally a top pairing guy? Of course not, but he is still more than a depth player D man for Montreal. Losing both him and Allen for just a 2nd coupled with the difficulty in attracting good FA's makes this type of trade unacceptable. Like I said earlier and many times before, in a vacuum Allen for a 2nd is fair but not Allen + Chiarot for a 2nd which is basically what this is.

you are honestly going to make your 10.5 million goalie that every habs fan swears is still elite, a platoon goalie?
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 10:58 a.m.
    you are honestly going to make your 10.5 million goalie that every habs fan swears is still elite, a platoon goalie?

Did I say that? No I explained what he was saying.
    Apr. 22, 2021 at 11:32 a.m.
    montreal has 15.4 million in cap space for next year and has only 14 players under contract.

you have 6 forwards under contract. and will have to either resign or replace more than half of your top 9.

and you are terrified of losing ben chariot?

Not sure why you trying to convince us of Chiarot's non importance to the team? Chiarot has been a very big piece of MTL's backend, we see it and its not so easily replaced. Are we terrified to lose him? Of course not. Are we supposed to just trade Allen and lose Chiarot for nothing because you say it makes sense? No.

In fact it makes more sense to lose Allen and replace him with either a capable UFA which are easier to sign because they are in less demand then quality dman OR just use the heir apparent in Primeau.

It only makes sense to move Allen if we are making a change/retool because the Habs either miss the playoffs or barely squeek in and get swept. if that happens all bets are off because it will be time to change the older nucleus of the team anyway so moving Allen for that 2nd and losing a guy like Chiarot won't matter as much.
    Campabee liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll