Next Year

Created by: CollinMohr555
Team: 2021-22 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: May 6, 2021
Published: May 6, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What They Should Do -

The Blue Jackets are a team that I could see jumping back into a playoff spot next year. I think that the Jackets don't change too much over the offseason and they start the next season and see how it goes. If the Jackets get off to a rough start then you still have the option to trade guys like Domi, Merzlikins, and Jones at the deadline. If they are in a playoff spot then they can keep those guys and try to resign them next offseason. I also think that they should leave some roster spots open for younger players, like Foudy, Bemstrom, Chinakhov, and Peeke.

Expansion -

I think its rather obvious who the Jackets protect. It's probably between Robinson and Kukan who get selected by Seattle.

Trades -

Laine is not a good fit in Columbus, even when Torts is gone. He is lazy, inconsistent, and very bad defensively. I think you get a top 4 defensemen and some picks out of Laine.

Signings -

I signed Danault to help at the center position. I think Danault would work well on a line with Atkinson and Bjorkstrand. I also resigned Del Zotto. He seems to like it in Columbus and he was solid this year. He also isn't expensive to sign.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
2$1,200,000
2$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,000,000
2$900,000
Trades
CBJ
SEA
  1. Robinson, Eric
Additional Details:
Protection List :

Atkinson
Nyquist
Domi
Laine
Jenner
Bjorkstrand
Roslovic

Jones
Werenski
Gavrikov

Korpisalo
CBJ
  1. Bear, Ethan
  2. 2022 1st round pick (EDM)
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Laine, Patrik [RFA Rights]
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$61,157,529$0$1,750,000$20,342,471
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C
UFA - 6
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,325,000$1,325,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,838,362$1,838,362
C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,800,000$2,800,000
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,800,000$2,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,633,333$1,633,333
LD
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 6, 2021 at 1:47 p.m.
I like the Laine trade, with Mcdavid and Dri he's going to have a kabillion goals but that's wouldn't happen with the Bluejackets - don't know if you are keeping Torts but that's a team he could take pretty far
May 6, 2021 at 2:16 p.m.
Honestly hate the idea of laine to Edmonton. Yes he will likely crush it that’s the problem. Let’s say it happened why would he even considered a multi year deal right away? If I was him I’d just accept one year qualifying offer and bank on stats getting boosted by oilers already successful pp to cash in on a bigger contract a year later which will land at the same time need to resign nurse and jp. I personally don’t feel Edmonton needs that type of sniper or should be putting themselves into that type of cap mess. I’d be looking for more of a physical two way forward that is good at retrieving pucks and good at board battles. Mcdavid and Leon have proven more than capable of putting the puck in the net could use help in getting them the puck.
May 6, 2021 at 2:47 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Timmah007
Honestly hate the idea of laine to Edmonton. Yes he will likely crush it that’s the problem. Let’s say it happened why would he even considered a multi year deal right away? If I was him I’d just accept one year qualifying offer and bank on stats getting boosted by oilers already successful pp to cash in on a bigger contract a year later which will land at the same time need to resign nurse and jp. I personally don’t feel Edmonton needs that type of sniper or should be putting themselves into that type of cap mess. I’d be looking for more of a physical two way forward that is good at retrieving pucks and good at board battles. Mcdavid and Leon have proven more than capable of putting the puck in the net could use help in getting them the puck.

You just described what Puljujarvi is becoming and the role he played on that incredible Finnish U20 team. If acquiring Laine allows Edmonton to permanently keep Draisaitl and McDavid separated, I'm taking a very long look at this trade. The value's right, and Laine's one of those players I'd genuinely consider moving Bear and the 2021 1st for.

I will agree that the contract and numbers side of this thing make it really, really tough for Edmonton to immediately jump out and do this, but only if Laine takes the route of a one-year show me deal. If the can convince him to take a deal in the ballpark of $7M/3y to accommodate both the flat cap AND maximize Laine's potential earnings on his last RFA deal, I don't see any argument against doing this. It gives Edmonton two of the best lines in hockey, which on its own could be enough to propel multiple deep runs into the playoffs.

I'm gonna play around with the idea in a separate AGM to see if and where the money works.
CollinMohr555 and Timmah007 liked this.
May 6, 2021 at 2:57 p.m.

I'm in the same boat here. Not a lot of doubt that Laine would put up great numbers in Edmonton and the trade value is reasonable. I just think for the cap space he'll occupy, he isn't a player that will take Edmonton to the next level. The top 6 (driven by 2 guys) scores plenty and has a lethal PP. The Oilers are better off to spend that cap space to build a better bottom 6 and add players that make the team tougher to play against. When I look at teams like Vegas and Colorado in the West, their depth is night and day with the Oilers and the Oilers would never win a 7 game series for that reason.
May 6, 2021 at 6:02 p.m.
Quoting: Sabresforlife
I like the Laine trade, with Mcdavid and Dri he's going to have a kabillion goals but that's wouldn't happen with the Bluejackets - don't know if you are keeping Torts but that's a team he could take pretty far

I try not to be biased with Tortorella, because I know and am somewhat related to him. I love Torts and I will always hope the team he coaches does well, but I think his time coaching is done. The Jackets have added players like Domi and Laine that do not succeed under Torts style of coaching. Fans have not been very happy with him as of lately either. Also, Jackets are in a bit of a retool right now and a lot of times those start with a new coach.
May 6, 2021 at 6:18 p.m.

Its hard to find teams that Laine would fit well with. I guess I just like the idea of Mcdavid and Laine on the same line together. I just did an AGM of what the Oilers cap situation would look like after signing Laine. I think it would be best for both the Oilers and Laine to agree on a short deal like 3 years at 8 mil per.
May 6, 2021 at 8:45 p.m.
Quoting: CollinMohr555
I try not to be biased with Tortorella, because I know and am somewhat related to him. I love Torts and I will always hope the team he coaches does well, but I think his time coaching is done. The Jackets have added players like Domi and Laine that do not succeed under Torts style of coaching. Fans have not been very happy with him as of lately either. Also, Jackets are in a bit of a retool right now and a lot of times those start with a new coach.

Can't tell you how surprised I was that Laine ended up with the Bluejackets, I thought for sure that was going to be a threeway trade with Laine going out to LAKs or somewhere - then I thought the GM and Torts are not on the same page.
May 7, 2021 at 5:16 a.m.
Pengweenies
0 chance that roster makes playoffs. It’s not good

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll