Forums/Armchair-GM

Improve offensive depth

Created by: newballcoach
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 21, 2021
Published: Jun. 21, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The theme here is to acquire some players who are good at transitioning the puck to the offensive zone (we missed Kapanen huge in this area last year). This will help the Leafs balance the offensive contributions (and maybe even create more favourable offensive zone starts for their big forwards) especially come playoff time when rush offence disappears. It will also help them on the powerplay, since they were awful at zone entries and offensive zone movement on the PP.

Nylander can be used at 3C at 5-on-5 to help with this balancing of the offence, but you can slid him up the lineup to play with Matthews in offensive zone situations, coming off of a PK, late in the game, etc. Just slid Mikheyev down and Engvall can centre that line if necessary.

I toyed with trading Rielly but I see no reason to rush a deal just because he is going to be a UFA. The Leafs probably won't resign him but his value to them in the upcoming season may not be equal to what you get in return. Dermott and Liljegren split playing time, with hopefully Liljegren proving he is better and taking that spot during the season. If not, you have an option. If you trade Rielly you probably should bring back Bogosian.

Schwartz and Johansson are two great UFA targets. Schwartz may get a bigger contract but it's hard to tell. He's a 50-60 point winger so this seemed close anyway? Both excel in zone entries and will give the Leafs some more dynamic options for zone entry. Schwartz can support Matthews in this way while providing more of a shooting threat then Marner has. Mikheyev can play a Hyman-type role on this line by supporting play down low and on the occasions they bring Nylander up it's a dangerous combination. Johansson, Tavares, Marner has lots of offence and should be able to feast on middle-6 competition, with the third line being variable but with Robertson, Nylander, Hinostroza should be able to provide some offence. If Robertson is not ready for that duty Engvall can play up there although his offence is limited.

D plays pretty much the same as last year, with the hope Sandin can show some growth and make losing Rielly easier to stomach. Raanta I think is a great bounce back option who may sign with Toronto for slightly less because they will guarantee him starts in a tandem instead of being a backup.

I don't think loading up on physical/defensive minded players is going to help the Leafs, since that failed last year. They need to find ways to manufacture offence when it's harder in the playoffs and that doesn't mean making big hits, it means keeping the puck and staying on the attack. These players will help them do that. I also admit that a mix of skillsets is probably valuable, so you may see a player like Granlund instead of Johansson, which balances things even more.

Semyonov and Liljegren are waivers exempt, meaning they can be papered down on off-days to help accrue cap space.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$3,000,000
1$1,000,000
3$4,500,000
1$2,500,000
Trades
TOR
SEA
  1. Kerfoot, Alexander
Additional Details:
Expansion draft
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$81,479,783$0$400,000$20,217
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
UFA - 5
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 4
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RW
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:21 p.m.
TopDawgReese
I think a lot of people don’t understand the issue with Toronto. It isn’t scoring depth, it ain’t defence, it ain’t goaltending. They need better top line players to support them.

They tried Nylander at centre last year in the bubble, it doesn’t work. The way you fix this team is by getting better support players for Marner and Matthews and Tavares and Nylander. A Brandon Saad for instance is better support player for Tavares and Nylander than Galchenyuk. Christian Dvorak is better support player than Hyman on the top line.
jet11567 liked this.
Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:26 p.m.
I don’t think we would ever see anyone on this team lay a body check lol are trying to make the Toronto saints?
Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:27 p.m.
Quoting: MauriceArthur15
I think a lot of people don’t understand the issue with Toronto. It isn’t scoring depth, it ain’t defence, it ain’t goaltending. They need better top line players to support them.

They tried Nylander at centre last year in the bubble, it doesn’t work. The way you fix this team is by getting better support players for Marner and Matthews and Tavares and Nylander. A Brandon Saad for instance is better support player for Tavares and Nylander than Galchenyuk. Christian Dvorak is better support player than Hyman on the top line.

Yeah I like saad or Dvorak atleast they got a bit of sandpaper to there game and nylander will not play 3rd line centre he will be paired with Tavares
Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:29 p.m.

I would love how you qualify a "better support player" What makes your examples better? What specific skills are you looking for? How would these players improve Toronto's top two lines.

I'm sure you also remember in the flat cap world, the Leafs don't have limitless options. If those particular players are unavailable to Toronto (which they likely will be based on cost) what lower-cost substitutions would you make (feel free to link an ACGM you've created here to save yourself some time).
Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:33 p.m.
TopDawgReese
Quoting: jet11567
Yeah I like saad or Dvorak atleast they got a bit of sandpaper to there game and nylander will not play 3rd line centre he will be paired with Tavares

The way I see Toronto being next year is this:

Dvorak-Matthews-Marner
Saad-Tavares-Nylander
Janmark-Haula-Joey Anderson
Robertson-Brooks-Spezza

They’re gonna get cheaper at the bottom of their line up to support their top players better. They have a lot of depth in prospect pool as I expect them to go hunting there for bargains.

Morgan Rielly is probably gone as Sandin can take over Morgan Rielly role and you can have:

Sandin-Brodie
Muzzin-Liljegren
McCabe-Bogosian

And they can switch it to when they want to shut it down when they have a lead:

McCabe-Brodie
Muzzin-Bogosian
Sandin-Liljegren
Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:34 p.m.
I don’t think we would ever see anyone on this team lay a body check lol are trying to make the Toronto saints?

"sandpaper" and "grit" got the Leafs Foligno, Simmonds and Thornton last year. You can count their playoff points on one hand. The defence still has the same cast that was a big part of Toronto's success last year and I am fairly sure I've seen Jake Muzzin lay a hit once or twice (Saints be praised). Not to mention the increased physicality Matthews and Tavares both showed last year.

I think stapling all your top forwards together makes you too easy to defend. Look at what happened against Montreal when they had one injury. I think Nylander has shown so much growth in the last year. More physical, better defensively. I think I'd love to see what he can do at centre, because in a few years he may need to replace Tavares there (similar to a scenario with Braden Point allowing Stamkos to move to the wing on Tampa Bay). If he isn't successful, that's okay, they have options.

The way to win in the NHL is not to bash the other teams head in, it's to keep the puck moving towards the other teams net and to get lucky. More shots = more chances to get lucky.
Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:34 p.m.
TopDawgReese
Quoting: newballcoach
I would love how you qualify a "better support player" What makes your examples better? What specific skills are you looking for? How would these players improve Toronto's top two lines.

I'm sure you also remember in the flat cap world, the Leafs don't have limitless options. If those particular players are unavailable to Toronto (which they likely will be based on cost) what lower-cost substitutions would you make (feel free to link an ACGM you've created here to save yourself some time).

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2489785

I built my team for now and the future.
newballcoach liked this.
Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:40 p.m.
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2489785

I built my team for now and the future.

Thanks for linking. You still didn't answer the question about why those players skills are so unique and helpful in your mind. I don't see the Leafs making as many moves as are listed there, and there seem to be more than a few dissenters about your trades.

It's fine to disagree, we would clearly build the roster in different ways. I prefer depth, with identifying a few important skills, while you prefer to focus only on the top of the roster and go cheap in many other places. Impossible to know what the right answer is. Thanks for the input.
Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:41 p.m.
"sandpaper" and "grit" got the Leafs Foligno, Simmonds and Thornton last year. You can count their playoff points on one hand. The defence still has the same cast that was a big part of Toronto's success last year and I am fairly sure I've seen Jake Muzzin lay a hit once or twice (Saints be praised). Not to mention the increased physicality Matthews and Tavares both showed last year.

I think stapling all your top forwards together makes you too easy to defend. Look at what happened against Montreal when they had one injury. I think Nylander has shown so much growth in the last year. More physical, better defensively. I think I'd love to see what he can do at centre, because in a few years he may need to replace Tavares there (similar to a scenario with Braden Point allowing Stamkos to move to the wing on Tampa Bay). If he isn't successful, that's okay, they have options.

The way to win in the NHL is not to bash the other teams head in, it's to keep the puck moving towards the other teams net and to get lucky. More shots = more chances to get lucky.

They had the right idea just wrong player look man you sound like a analytical nerd that’s never actually laced up the skates before because physicality is a huge part of hockey look at Tampa,Boston,Vegas,islanders,Montreal they are all big physical teams this team you put together would be quite literally the softest team in the league and wear down come playoff time and lol Montreal and Vegas are bashing each others heads in like have you watched the series imagine you had all these small players out there taking a beating from those big forwards they got in Vegas , Montreal , Boston , Tampa they would be so worn down like have you seen some what the Montreal guys look like most of those guys are playing hurt and there big durable players like you even got rid of bogosian
Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:45 p.m.
TopDawgReese
Thanks for linking. You still didn't answer the question about why those players skills are so unique and helpful in your mind. I don't see the Leafs making as many moves as are listed there, and there seem to be more than a few dissenters about your trades.

It's fine to disagree, we would clearly build the roster in different ways. I prefer depth, with identifying a few important skills, while you prefer to focus only on the top of the roster and go cheap in many other places. Impossible to know what the right answer is. Thanks for the input.

Dvorak is a 2-way player that’s had elite chemistry with Marner in junior.

Saad is a fast and excellent finisher.

This issue I have with your teams is first Mikheyev line 1, and secondly Schwartz is injury prone. I understand wanting Centre depth but getting Dvorak who can play the wing or centre is helpful. Say Tavares goes down now you make your lines:

Saad-Matthews-Nylander
Robertson-Dvorak-Marner

You solve a lot of the issues we had this playoffs right there. Then you have a speedy line of:

Fisher-Janmark-Mikheyev

That’s just annoying to play against, and then your rookie scoring line. Plus o left 1.8 million in cap space to make deadline moves and etc.

The defence is solid and goaltending is great.
jet11567 liked this.
Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:49 p.m.
Dvorak is a 2-way player that’s had elite chemistry with Marner in junior.

Saad is a fast and excellent finisher.

This issue I have with your teams is first Mikheyev line 1, and secondly Schwartz is injury prone. I understand wanting Centre depth but getting Dvorak who can play the wing or centre is helpful. Say Tavares goes down now you make your lines:

Saad-Matthews-Nylander
Robertson-Dvorak-Marner

You solve a lot of the issues we had this playoffs right there. Then you have a speedy line of:

Fisher-Janmark-Mikheyev

That’s just annoying to play against, and then your rookie scoring line. Plus o left 1.8 million in cap space to make deadline moves and etc.

The defence is solid and goaltending is great.

Yeah I like that a lot if you can pry Dvorak away from arizona
Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:52 p.m.
TopDawgReese
Yeah I like that a lot if you can pry Dvorak away from arizona

It gonna be the move I think will happen as Airzona needs to cut salary desperately. Having a high payroll with a non-contending team is a huge issues, especially when Dvorak contract is backloaded, and so is everyone else. This literally plays into Toronto wheelhouse
jet11567 liked this.
Jun. 21, 2021 at 1:57 p.m.
It gonna be the move I think will happen as Airzona needs to cut salary desperately. Having a high payroll with a non-contending team is a huge issues, especially when Dvorak contract is backloaded, and so is everyone else. This literally plays into Toronto wheelhouse

Yeah and Arizona is so broke the gonna pull a Ottawa this offseason

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll