Forums/Armchair-GM

Holland Wheelin and Dealin

Created by: Greed
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 29, 2021
Published: Jun. 29, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Protected list: McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Patrick, Archibald. Nurse, Bear, Larsson. Stalock. Pick sent to Seattle so they take Koskinen for a year. I think a 3rd is fine, considering they are only taking him for a year and there's not much for Seattle to take.

Larsson has been 90% confirmed to be back on a deal just shy of 4 mil, and the deal will be done before the expansion draft.

Nolan Patrick has been rumored to want out of Philly. I think getting Caleb Jones makes sense for them as another reason to give Seth Jones to come play for the Flyers. It also helps both teams for the expansion draft.

There's been a decent amount of speculation regarding OEL to the Oilers. OEL has negative value at that contract, so they would have to take Neal (Easier contract to buyout, shorter term) in return. That means they only Lagesson as their return, which might honestly be too much.

Then you get into FA moves. Kulikov gets resigned, which moves Russell down to 7th D and makes Lagesson expendable in the ARI trade. Yamamoto and Patrick resigned for around 2 mil on short term deals. The goaltending situation probably end up being Smith + X. I think there's enough room to go out and get Ulmark/Driedger/Mrazek. I like Ulmark the best of the three.

Finally you go to the LW situation. Tatar not playing in the playoffs right now hurts his value, so he probably comes in with a cap hit around 3-4 mil. That leaves enough room to go out and get Landeskog to play with McDavid.

1st Line: Landeskog - McDavid - Puljujarvi
McDavid plays best with a sniper and a Power forward. Puljujarvi proved last season he can grow into that PWR Forward role, and the best scorer on the market is Landeskog. Hes shown he can play with top talent in Colorado, I think he can come do it again in EDM.

Second line: RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
These guys were the best line in hockey at one point. If Tippett can put the three together long term, I think this team can be a strong 2nd line that can score at a 1st line pace.

Third Line: Tatar - Patrick - Kassian
Patrick is known to have injury problems throughout his career, but will he continue to get injured if he's playing with Kassian on his right side? On his left, he gets to have Tatar, a prolific scorer that can be a 20 goal scorer. I think this line is a discount version of the first line, which is great for the cap hit for each. Additionally, I think that either winger can jump up to play on the first line, Landeskog can potentially move down to the second line, and RNH can center the third line if need be.

Fourth line: Benson - Mcleod - Archibald
I think that McLeod and Benson get their chance on the fourth line this year. At times, I think that Khaira and Shore will play at times, but the young guns will get their chance.

First Pair: Nurse and Bouchard
Bouchard gets his shot on the top pair here out of necessity. I think he will fill a similar role as Barrie did this year. There has also been reports that Bouchard was outplaying Bear last season, so I expect Bouchard to have improved enough to get to the nod to play with Nurse.

Second Pair: Kulikov and Larsson
I think that this pairing did well last season down the stretch, and if the two of them continue to develop synergy over a full season they can become a top shutdown pair in the league.

Third Pair: Ekman-Larsson and Bear
This pair could very well be the second pair as well depending on how well the two play. Realistically, if youre the Oilers you are hoping this is the Second pair and OEL is playing like himself. Worst case they are a good third pair that are probably overpaid.

Goaltending: Ulmark and Smith
There's actually a decent amount of contingency plans here. We still have Stalock, Skinner, and Konovalov in the AHL, along with Rodrigue as well. Realistically Stalock is traded or lost on waivers. If Smith falters at all, Skinner can get the call up to be the backup and hopefully is ready. Otherwise Stalock is the call up / sitting as a third goalie on the roster so that Skinner / Konovalov is the tandem in the AHL. I think Ulmark can be a good goalie with an NHL team in front of him, and Smith can split the load if things go south.

Overall:
Top 6 is majorly improved
Bottom 6 has some gambles but its hard to see it as a downgrade to last years roster even if they all played at their worst.
Defense is about the same, if not slightly better depending on how Bouchard does.
Goaltending is improved.

Prediction: Roster finished 1st/2nd in Pacific and gets knocked out in the 2nd round.

How realistic is the roster: 6/10
I think that the PHI and ARI trades are realistic but im not as confident about the Seattle trade.
Im very confident that Tatar and one of the three goalies mentioned in the goalie section will sign. Im not as confident in Landeskog signing.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
2$1,300,000
2$850,000
2$1,850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,750,000
1$1,200,000
3$3,500,000
3$3,000,000
5$8,000,000
1$2,800,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Patrick, Nolan [RFA Rights]
EDM
SEA
  1. Koskinen, Mikko
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$79,851,839$669,339$907,500$1,648,161
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 8
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 1
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 8
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
RFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,850,000$1,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$850,000$850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$834,167$834,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
C
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,760,000$4,760,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,800,000$2,800,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 29, 2021 at 11:27 p.m.
Detailed explanation and some interesting ideas. I don’t think you have enough for OEL personally I don’t think he’s a good move for the Oilers but he’s still a top 4 defenseman vs neal who’s been a healthy scratch and a bottom 6 forward when in and lagesson who is probably just a third pairing defenseman. I also think you need to add to get Patrick, feel like Philly sends him to ANH for Manson or CLB in a Jones package. Also no way we get Landeskog. That being said I enjoyed the read and the perspective, and could be some ideas
Jun. 30, 2021 at 12:03 a.m.
Armchair GM
I don't understand why Smith is being signed to a 3 year deal. That would take him to 42 which is kind of nutty. That 100% isn't enough for OEL, it'd take at least a 1st in addition with retained salary.
Jul. 1, 2021 at 8:53 p.m.
Quoting: BrewishTV
I don't understand why Smith is being signed to a 3 year deal. That would take him to 42 which is kind of nutty. That 100% isn't enough for OEL, it'd take at least a 1st in addition with retained salary.

100% a misclick there from me, Smith would only get one year at that cap hit.

Quoting: oilnate
Detailed explanation and some interesting ideas. I don’t think you have enough for OEL personally I don’t think he’s a good move for the Oilers but he’s still a top 4 defenseman vs neal who’s been a healthy scratch and a bottom 6 forward when in and lagesson who is probably just a third pairing defenseman. I also think you need to add to get Patrick, feel like Philly sends him to ANH for Manson or CLB in a Jones package. Also no way we get Landeskog. That being said I enjoyed the read and the perspective, and could be some ideas

The problem is that OEL has 0 value based on his season last year, and teams know that going into negotiations. In order to get rid of him, they are gonna have to take on a bad contract. I think Neal would be the contract they take, as their Goaltending is already locked up. Their only payoff would be Lagesson as someone that could play in OEL's place on the bottom pair, and has upside to improve (not much but its there, hes young). Maybe you can add a 4th - 7th round pick in there, but I doubt the Oilers give up anything more in value.

For the Philly deal, the difference is that one has a contract and the other does not. I think Patrick is probably the better player, but he doesn't have a contract. Overall it should be an even 1 for 1 at this point. Though i agree that Philly can use him in a different deal for sure. Also I agree that Landeskog most likely is not coming to Edmonton, but I had the cap space in this mock to get him, so here's hoping!
Jul. 2, 2021 at 2:42 a.m.
Quoting: Greed
100% a misclick there from me, Smith would only get one year at that cap hit.

The problem is that OEL has 0 value based on his season last year, and teams know that going into negotiations. In order to get rid of him, they are gonna have to take on a bad contract. I think Neal would be the contract they take, as their Goaltending is already locked up. Their only payoff would be Lagesson as someone that could play in OEL's place on the bottom pair, and has upside to improve (not much but its there, hes young). Maybe you can add a 4th - 7th round pick in there, but I doubt the Oilers give up anything more in value.

For the Philly deal, the difference is that one has a contract and the other does not. I think Patrick is probably the better player, but he doesn't have a contract. Overall it should be an even 1 for 1 at this point. Though i agree that Philly can use him in a different deal for sure. Also I agree that Landeskog most likely is not coming to Edmonton, but I had the cap space in this mock to get him, so here's hoping!

OEL is still a top 4 dman and will cost as much especially retained and ask philly fans I’m sure they’ll say they want Bear instead. Also OEL contract is to long I think for us to take on

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll