What could be happening

Created by: pharrow
Team: 2021-22 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 18, 2021
Published: Jul. 18, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What each team gets.
Seattle, McCann and a 1st round prospect.
TOR good cheap defensive help in a defenseman who can skate and drive offense. Also expansion certainty.
PIT. Prospect in Hallander, Cap space. Draft certainty.
Trades
TOR
  1. Matheson, Michael
Additional Details:
From Seattle - Matheson is 50% retained to TOR
PIT
    Seattle Selects McCann from TOR.
    Matheson from PIT.
    Sends Matheson to TOR for the sun god RA.
    Buyouts
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    18$81,500,000$71,178,206$0$0$10,321,794
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,636,364$2,636,364
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,200,000$2,200,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, C, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,400,000$4,400,000
    RD
    UFA - 6
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $4,025,175$4,025,175
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $750,000$750,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 10:59 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Joey
    See, maybe my understanding isn't the problem if other people are confused too

because people on capfriendly don't read?
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 11:00 a.m.
    Quoting: jempey82
    Stop, Sandin is 20 years old and projects to a top 4 D man. Dermott is an extra/depth piece. But NHL level depth guys are important to playoff teams. Dermott has proven to be a decent depth guy who can give you anywhere from 12-18 minutes depending on the situation.

I don’t disagree the Leafs need a little help on the blue line. But it’s not as bad as you make it seem at all. Matheson however does nothing to help them as I said. I can see Sandin putting up Matheson like numbers as early as this year. The Leafs could use one top 4 caliber right shot D man, potential is there via trade or even free agency, just need to make the moves to make it work.

I agree with you but dermott is 24.
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 11:01 a.m.
    Quoting: pharrow
    because people on capfriendly don't read?

Let me guess, nobody on capfriendly reads except you?
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 11:02 a.m.
    Banned
    Let me guess, nobody on capfriendly reads except you?

oh the little leafer has his panties in a knot.
    Just sit down and shut up.
    You over here having a melt down on a website about projecting possibilities.
    It's the most realistic creative move to date.
    Go post some Reilly for a 3 1st round pick moves or something
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 11:03 a.m.
    sure thing.
    Everyone knows it's a problem but homers.

Yes, everyone knows the leafs 7th best defense (compared to the penguins 14th best) was what cost them. NOOOO. If you watched to playoffs you would have seen that they didn't score
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 11:05 a.m.
    I agree with you but dermott is 24.

Yeah that was a typo, was supposed to be Sandin
    Joey liked this.
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 11:06 a.m.
    oh the little leafer has his panties in a knot.
    Just sit down and shut up.
    You over here having a melt down on a website about projecting possibilities.
    It's the most realistic creative move to date.
    Go post some Reilly for a 3 1st round pick moves or something

I'm having a meltdown? You just gave up Rodion Amirov and McCann for Mike Matheson. I just don't see how thats a realsitic and reative move thats all.
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 11:10 a.m.
    Banned
    Stop, Sandin is 20 years old and projects to a top 4 D man. Dermott is an extra/depth piece. But NHL level depth guys are important to playoff teams. Dermott has proven to be a decent depth guy who can give you anywhere from 12-18 minutes depending on the situation.

I don’t disagree the Leafs need a little help on the blue line. But it’s not as bad as you make it seem at all. Matheson however does nothing to help them as I said. I can see Sandin putting up Matheson like numbers as early as this year. The Leafs could use one top 4 caliber right shot D man, potential is there via trade or even free agency, just need to make the moves to make it work.

hog wash.
    Look at it this way on the now released lists.

PIT protected Matheson.
    So lets say Seattle than takes MP.
    You get MP at 50% retained. or 2 million. for like 3 years.
    That's a steal. There is a cost to that.
    That is why you're giving up a prospect.
    So you protect a guy you wanted to keep in kerfoot....and you helped fix your defense, and fit it into your struggling cap with term.

You're not finding solutions like that and it costs you nothing.

I mean honestly, go look all over capfriendly and at all these horrible leafers ideas and unreasonable trade proposals and tell me this is some "crazy" idea.

You paid a 1st round prospect for 2 mil cap savings and what 4 years of a solid defenseman. That's not some absurd cost.
    Nor is it an absurd cost to pay up a 2nd round prospect to protect the team from losing Kerfoot who they want to keep.
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 11:11 a.m.
    Banned
    I'm having a meltdown? You just gave up Rodion Amirov and McCann for Mike Matheson. I just don't see how thats a realsitic and reative move thats all.

and if that's what you got out of it, you clearly didn't read it.
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 11:13 a.m.
    Drover006
    oh really, because you are about to lose McCann.

So you come tell me how and why, TOR just paid up a prospect for a guy about to be taken if it's not part of a larger deal?

If he do... Better than a 1st to not take someone else
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 11:19 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: DroverD2
    If he do... Better than a 1st to not take someone else

But it's not better than a 1st, especially when you are a GM about to lose your job because the team isn't meeting expectations.
    They have to fix problems now. Not later. Mathews has 3 years left and he's a FA. If you think the cap is a mess now, just wait till then.
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 11:23 a.m.
    hog wash.
    Look at it this way on the now released lists.

PIT protected Matheson.
    So lets say Seattle than takes MP.
    You get MP at 50% retained. or 2 million. for like 3 years.
    That's a steal. There is a cost to that.
    That is why you're giving up a prospect.
    So you protect a guy you wanted to keep in kerfoot....and you helped fix your defense, and fit it into your struggling cap with term.

You're not finding solutions like that and it costs you nothing.

I mean honestly, go look all over capfriendly and at all these horrible leafers ideas and unreasonable trade proposals and tell me this is some "crazy" idea.

You paid a 1st round prospect for 2 mil cap savings and what 4 years of a solid defenseman. That's not some absurd cost.
    Nor is it an absurd cost to pay up a 2nd round prospect to protect the team from losing Kerfoot who they want to keep.

What you seem to be missing is adding another left shot D man who would not play in our top 4 doesn’t mKe sense for the Leafs. Leafs are weak on the right side, not the left. If they were to move Rielly, maybe then something like this would make sense.

If the Leafs are making a deal where they send McCann to Seattle rather than protecting him it would be for a right shot defenceman or a goalie taken by Seattle IMO
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 11:37 a.m.
    Banned
    What you seem to be missing is adding another left shot D man who would not play in our top 4 doesn’t mKe sense for the Leafs. Leafs are weak on the right side, not the left. If they were to move Rielly, maybe then something like this would make sense.

If the Leafs are making a deal where they send McCann to Seattle rather than protecting him it would be for a right shot defenceman or a goalie taken by Seattle IMO

This is short sighted.
    They know they are going to lose Reilly due to their cap.
    Which is why there are so many ACGM where they are trading him. People want something when they know he's out the door at the end of the season on way or another.
    You are also getting a legit 2D at 3D prices for multiple years, so you can slide him in this year, if they keep Reilly, he's not a detriment to the team cap wise. It's a win for TOR no matter how you look at it.
    It's improving their defense which needs help and puts them in a position where they aren't totally screwed looking for defense they can't afford in the future.
    TOR is a team on the hot seat. They got 3 years left of Mathews including this year. They have not reached expectations, everyone knows the defense is the hole in the team. If they are to advance that is where it needs to happen. You can bring in all the gritty wingers in the world if the defensive play doesn't improve they aren't winning.
    For 2 million per for 4 years, you aren't finding better solutions.
    Your not finding that in FA, and your not getting it in a trade without giving something of value up.
    That's the point. You have to give to get.
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 11:45 a.m.
    and if that's what you got out of it, you clearly didn't read it.

We clearly won't agree on this
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 11:52 a.m.
    Banned
    We clearly won't agree on this

of course not.
    You think paying a prospect to protect a player is absurd.
    You also think teams should retain 2 mil per for 4 years on a solid young defenseman for free.

There is nothing absurd about the costs here. You are just a homer.
    That is literally how this breaks down for TOR.
    If you can't read, you'll never understand that.
    No cost here is absurd or even half of the panties in a bunch reaction you have.
    Meanwhile the cost for the penguins, McCann for moving a defenseman they need to move, is high, so in a 3 way they got something back.
    As for Seattle, flipping something they will have plenty of aka defense, for something to help them in the future, isn't crazy at all.

If there is a hole in this, it's not on the TOR for sure. It's on the Kraken side of them retaining 2 mil for 4 years.
    And that is why it costs you a 1st rounder. Because what team is doing that in a flat cap world?.......NONE.
    But they will have the cap and can benefit from it if they want to.

But keep thinking you're the one getting robbed here. Because you can't figure out how the pieces fit together even though I clearly spelled them out to you.
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 12:06 p.m.
    of course not.
    You think paying a prospect to protect a player is absurd.
    You also think teams should retain 2 mil per for 4 years on a solid young defenseman for free.

There is nothing absurd about the costs here. You are just a homer.
    That is literally how this breaks down for TOR.
    If you can't read, you'll never understand that.
    No cost here is absurd or even half of the panties in a bunch reaction you have.
    Meanwhile the cost for the penguins, McCann for moving a defenseman they need to move, is high, so in a 3 way they got something back.
    As for Seattle, flipping something they will have plenty of aka defense, for something to help them in the future, isn't crazy at all.

If there is a hole in this, it's not on the TOR for sure. It's on the Kraken side of them retaining 2 mil for 4 years.
    And that is why it costs you a 1st rounder. Because what team is doing that in a flat cap world?.......NONE.
    But they will have the cap and can benefit from it if they want to.

But keep thinking you're the one getting robbed here. Because you can't figure out how the pieces fit together even though I clearly spelled them out to you.

The Leafs won't pay a prospect to keep kerfoot, McCann is better than him and they want the 3.5 off the books. I'm not a homer a hate this team they infuriate me. The Leafs don't need another LHD. Sandin needs that 3rd pair spot and he will. You thought Dubas would give up amirov and hallinder forMcCann. I would rather have rodion amirov than mike matheson. Thats just my opinion. And I know you think the leafs d was the problem but if u ask any leafs fan they will tell you it wasn't. Matthews and Marner d one goal combined, that was the problem
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 12:15 p.m.
    Banned
    The Leafs won't pay a prospect to keep kerfoot, McCann is better than him and they want the 3.5 off the books. I'm not a homer a hate this team they infuriate me. The Leafs don't need another LHD. Sandin needs that 3rd pair spot and he will. You thought Dubas would give up amirov and hallinder forMcCann. I would rather have rodion amirov than mike matheson. Thats just my opinion. And I know you think the leafs d was the problem but if u ask any leafs fan they will tell you it wasn't. Matthews and Marner d one goal combined, that was the problem

You don't get it, they already did.
    They paid a prospect for a guy they are going to choose. You are over here like, McCann is better than Kerfoot. Well both are unprotected. So if you had to choose between them which one do you choose?
    Clearly McCann right......well wtf do you think Seattle is going to do.
    Even if you take the defenseman trade out of it, this is what it boils down too.
    You paid a prospect to keep a them off Kerfoot.
    Pens would have paid McCann but got something back aka Hallander, to have Seattle then take someone they wanted them to take.
    Helping the Kraken get two players they were interested in instead of 1 from them.
    They no longer would have to choose between one or the other and the penguins get a prospect back and cap space, which they desperately need.

But in the end, TOR is in the same desperate need for cap space. To fix their defense. Which clearly has issues. Which you refuse to admit.
    You think you are winning cups with that sorry lot. Your not. You will keep exiting. And after next year you have to wonder if Dubas is gone.
    You think Dubas cares about a 1st round pick over trying to save his job. Because otherwise he goes down as having wasted a huge opportunity.
    Believe me they aren't going to wait forever on him. They got 3 years left before either Mathews leaves, or he totally destroys your cap. Which he will. He will be the highest paid player in the league the day he signs his UFA deal. There is no doubt to that. And TOR will have one of, if not the worst, contract negotiators doing that deal in Dubas if he's still there. Which most likely he won't be unless he does something now to win the cup. The only way that is going to happen is to magically find a defenseman that fits under the cap
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 12:32 p.m.
    You don't get it, they already did.
    They paid a prospect for a guy they are going to choose. You are over here like, McCann is better than Kerfoot. Well both are unprotected. So if you had to choose between them which one do you choose?
    Clearly McCann right......well wtf do you think Seattle is going to do.
    Even if you take the defenseman trade out of it, this is what it boils down too.
    You paid a prospect to keep a them off Kerfoot.
    Pens would have paid McCann but got something back aka Hallander, to have Seattle then take someone they wanted them to take.
    Helping the Kraken get two players they were interested in instead of 1 from them.
    They no longer would have to choose between one or the other and the penguins get a prospect back and cap space, which they desperately need.

But in the end, TOR is in the same desperate need for cap space. To fix their defense. Which clearly has issues. Which you refuse to admit.
    You think you are winning cups with that sorry lot. Your not. You will keep exiting. And after next year you have to wonder if Dubas is gone.
    You think Dubas cares about a 1st round pick over trying to save his job. Because otherwise he goes down as having wasted a huge opportunity.
    Believe me they aren't going to wait forever on him. They got 3 years left before either Mathews leaves, or he totally destroys your cap. Which he will. He will be the highest paid player in the league the day he signs his UFA deal. There is no doubt to that. And TOR will have one of, if not the worst, contract negotiators doing that deal in Dubas if he's still there. Which most likely he won't be unless he does something now to win the cup. The only way that is going to happen is to magically find a defenseman that fits under the cap

You are simpily wrong about the defense and yes Dubas will be gone if they lose in the first round again. We will see what happens but us arguing won't help.
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 12:58 p.m.
    Banned
    You are simpily wrong about the defense and yes Dubas will be gone if they lose in the first round again. We will see what happens but us arguing won't help.

you're the only one arguing.
    I proposed a trade scenario. You went crazy about it.

I'm over here trying to come up with interesting possible scenarios. Using some imagination. Not trying to trade scraps for McDavid or something.
    The costs here are all reasonable.
    You may not like it fine, but that's no way to be going off like you did as if this is some wildly lopsided deal. There is nothing lopsided here.
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 1:04 p.m.

I'm over here trying to come up with interesting possible scenarios. Using some imagination. Not trying to trade scraps for McDavid or something.
    You may not like it fine, but that's no way to be going off like you did as if this is some wildly lopsided deal. There is nothing lopsided here.

We were both arguing
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 1:04 p.m.
    Drover006

Are you ok?
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 1:53 p.m.
    Banned
    Are you ok?

are you?
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 2:40 p.m.
    Drover006
    are you?

No. But neither are you
    Jul. 18, 2021 at 6:59 p.m.
    Banned
    No. But neither are you

actually I'm pretty good over here. thanks.
    Jul. 19, 2021 at 1:08 p.m.
    Matheson is being protected anyway

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll