Published: Aug. 20, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
NYR
  1. Koskinen, Mikko
  2. McLeod, Ryan
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
rangers get a good young 4th line C and get a backup goalie for this season in koskinen. I honestly dont think he is as bad as people make him out to be. also it is only for 1 season
EDM
  1. Georgiev, Alexandar
Additional Details:
Oilers get a young starting goalie and get rid of koskinens contract which frees up cap space for moves at the deadline
ANA
  1. Hájek, Libor [RFA Rights]
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$74,825,636$0$8,457,500$6,674,364
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
RW
RFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,300,000$2,300,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,641,667$3,641,667
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$834,167$834,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
C
RFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
RFA - 3
RD
UFA - 1
$5,666,667$5,666,667
G
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
LD
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
RD
RFA - 3
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$737,500$737,500
LD
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 20, 2021 at 9:37 a.m.
It’s not a horrible trade in principal but I think oilers are more than willing to stick with kosk and continue to develop a goalie internally. The offer is respectful I give full credit for that but even good reasonable offers get declined and I see that being the case here. Good job sorry don’t see it happening.
Aug. 20, 2021 at 11:08 a.m.
You logic with the Oilers trade is highly flawed. Over the past 2 years Koskinen has been the better goalie so Edmonton isn't giving up assets to downgrade.

Georgiev is NOT a starter.
Aug. 20, 2021 at 11:10 a.m.
Quoting: Timmah007
It’s not a horrible trade in principal but I think oilers are more than willing to stick with kosk and continue to develop a goalie internally. The offer is respectful I give full credit for that but even good reasonable offers get declined and I see that being the case here. Good job sorry don’t see it happening.

It's a terrible offer, don't try to sugarcoat it.
Aug. 20, 2021 at 11:44 a.m.
Quoting: CD282
It's a terrible offer, don't try to sugarcoat it.

lol compared to just about every trade see on here involving a goalie and Edmonton I’d say this is far more sensible and more in the direction oilers would go. I don’t think Holland would bite but it’s at least within the ball park to have a conversation. This would fast track Holloway to crack the roster at centre which is where I do actually see him playing here sooner rather than later.
Aug. 20, 2021 at 12:41 p.m.
lol compared to just about every trade see on here involving a goalie and Edmonton I’d say this is far more sensible and more in the direction oilers would go. I don’t think Holland would bite but it’s at least within the ball park to have a conversation. This would fast track Holloway to crack the roster at centre which is where I do actually see him playing here sooner rather than later.

Two 2nds to downgrade the goaltending is a "sensible" offer and "more in the direction" the Oilers would go?? That's just crazy.
Aug. 20, 2021 at 1:13 p.m.
Kyle Dubas
You logic with the Oilers trade is highly flawed. Over the past 2 years Koskinen has been the better goalie so Edmonton isn't giving up assets to downgrade.

Georgiev is NOT a starter.

in what world has koskinen been a good goalie? you gonna run a 40 year old to be your starter again? cause that is not gonna get them far especially with that defense
Aug. 20, 2021 at 1:19 p.m.
Quoting: Dubaspersonal
in what world has koskinen been a good goalie? you gonna run a 40 year old to be your starter again? cause that is not gonna get them far especially with that defense

Koskinen has been better than Georgiev, that's for sure. Over the past 2 years, Koskinen posted a .910 save percentage to Georgiev's .908. And Koskinen's mark was dragged down by the beginning of 20-21 when Smith was injured and Holland screwed up the backup situation repeatedly, and it meant that Koskinen had to play every game of a wicked schedule - 12 games in 24 nights traveling thousands of miles through 4 time zones - which isn't something ANY goalie can stand up under. It wasn't fair to Koskinen but Tippett had little choice but to keep throwing him over the boards, so his results were poor over that stretch. I don't fault Koskinen for that, he did his best in an impossible situation.

If you pull those 12 games out of the equation to get a look at how he performs under normal circumstances, his save percentage over the past two seasons is .916, well above Georgiev's .908.

And before you blame NYR's defense, know that Koskinen faced 32.60 shots/60 to Georgiev's 31.99 SA/60 in all situations, and 32.34 SA/60 vs Georgiev's 31.03 at 5v5. Its not quality of shots either, as Koskinen has faced 8.50 HDSA/60 while Georgiev has faced 7.46.

Edmonton is in Win Now mode, they aren't going to downgrade their goaltending this year. And to expect them to give up a high pick and a decent prospect to make their team worse is silly.
Aug. 20, 2021 at 1:22 p.m.
Kyle Dubas
Koskinen has been better than Georgiev, that's for sure. Over the past 2 years, Koskinen posted a .910 save percentage to Georgiev's .908. And Koskinen's mark was dragged down by the beginning of 20-21 when Smith was injured and Holland screwed up the backup situation repeatedly, and it meant that Koskinen had to play every game of a wicked schedule - 12 games in 24 nights traveling thousands of miles through 4 time zones - which isn't something ANY goalie can stand up under. It wasn't fair to Koskinen but Tippett had little choice but to keep throwing him over the boards, so his results were poor over that stretch. I don't fault Koskinen for that, he did his best in an impossible situation.

If you pull those 12 games out of the equation to get a look at how he performs under normal circumstances, his save percentage over the past two seasons is .916, well above Georgiev's .908.

And before you blame NYR's defense, know that Koskinen faced 32.60 shots/60 to Georgiev's 31.99 SA/60 in all situations, and 32.34 SA/60 vs Georgiev's 31.03 at 5v5. Its not quality of shots either, as Koskinen has faced 8.50 HDSA/60 while Georgiev has faced 7.46.

Edmonton is in Win Now mode, they aren't going to downgrade their goaltending this year. And to expect them to give up a high pick and a decent prospect to make their team worse is silly.

I would go with the younger goalie but whatever. edmonton wont go far with a smith/koskinen tandem behind that defense just watch
Aug. 20, 2021 at 1:24 p.m.
Quoting: Dubaspersonal

The Smith-Koskinen duo has allowed the 12th fewest goals against over the past 2 seasons despite being in the bottom 3rd of the league in shots against. Goaltending isn't the most pressing concern with this team - defense is.
Aug. 20, 2021 at 2:03 p.m.
Pistol Pete
I think that that trade minus mcleod would be fair value. Edmonton has struggled for like 5 Years to internally develop a 3C. I doubt they part with mcleod especially given he is cast in the big fast mold they are trying to build around.
Aug. 20, 2021 at 2:16 p.m.
Two 2nds to downgrade the goaltending is a "sensible" offer and "more in the direction" the Oilers would go?? That's just crazy.

I think could expect similar results as kosk right off the hop but has more room for improvement than kosk. Given the opportunity to bring in someone that can grow with the team but has experience can’t be completely dismissed. I love a lot of the traits smith brings and while he’s still capable of playing at a high level it would be very beneficial to have the next guy in line around him as much as possible ideally it would come from internal options but the win now complicates that becomes risky bet to count on skinner or whoever due to lack of experience. I think going into the season things will stay as they are but mid season I could certainly see something like this happening. Far from being my top choice but isn’t the worst option.
Dubaspersonal liked this.
Aug. 20, 2021 at 2:21 p.m.
Quoting: Zmach
I think that that trade minus mcleod would be fair value. Edmonton has struggled for like 5 Years to internally develop a 3C. I doubt they part with mcleod especially given he is cast in the big fast mold they are trying to build around.

I see Holloway becoming the 3c by deadline. He’s known to be good at draws has strong speed and considering the depth added to lw this offseason 3c is the only really questionable spot in the top nine don’t see him getting the call up to cover 4th line minutes. I think early on Mcloed will be given plenty of opportunity but it’s on him to make the most of it.
Dubaspersonal liked this.
Aug. 23, 2021 at 8:01 a.m.
I think could expect similar results as kosk right off the hop but has more room for improvement than kosk. Given the opportunity to bring in someone that can grow with the team but has experience can’t be completely dismissed. I love a lot of the traits smith brings and while he’s still capable of playing at a high level it would be very beneficial to have the next guy in line around him as much as possible ideally it would come from internal options but the win now complicates that becomes risky bet to count on skinner or whoever due to lack of experience. I think going into the season things will stay as they are but mid season I could certainly see something like this happening. Far from being my top choice but isn’t the worst option.

Statements like "room for improvement" and "grow with the team" and "the next guy in line" all sound good, but you haven't done anything to convince me Georgiev is that guy. I mean, look at his results over the past 4 years:

17-18: .918
18-19: .914
19-20: .910
20-21: .905

Not exactly trending in a good direction, are they? What makes you think there's anything about this guy that's worth two 2nd's?
Aug. 23, 2021 at 11:42 a.m.
Statements like "room for improvement" and "grow with the team" and "the next guy in line" all sound good, but you haven't done anything to convince me Georgiev is that guy. I mean, look at his results over the past 4 years:

17-18: .918
18-19: .914
19-20: .910
20-21: .905

Not exactly trending in a good direction, are they? What makes you think there's anything about this guy that's worth two 2nd's?

Wasn’t suggesting it’s a great deal or anything but a lot more in the realm of realism than 99% of trades involving a goalie and Edmonton. It’s not a deal I’d jump at doing but neither was the Keith trade. League values players differently as we might. I’m not in favour of just moving kosk for the sake of it but do see a lot of value in having a more youthful option to battle smith and pick up on some of the aspects that makes smith unique while smith is still capable of providing that. I’d be ok with a slight “overpay” to secure that. Allen is the guy I would target first but as a plan C or D not the worst outcome.
Aug. 23, 2021 at 1:45 p.m.
Wasn’t suggesting it’s a great deal or anything but a lot more in the realm of realism than 99% of trades involving a goalie and Edmonton. It’s not a deal I’d jump at doing but neither was the Keith trade. League values players differently as we might. I’m not in favour of just moving kosk for the sake of it but do see a lot of value in having a more youthful option to battle smith and pick up on some of the aspects that makes smith unique while smith is still capable of providing that. I’d be ok with a slight “overpay” to secure that. Allen is the guy I would target first but as a plan C or D not the worst outcome.

I'd start the season with Koskinen at 1B and then give one of Skinner or Konovalov an opportunity in January if I'm not happy with either Smith or Koskinen (or if there's an injury). No way I'm going shopping without seeing what my own prospects can do.

I'm have a sneaking suspicion that Konovalov is already Georgiev's equal. Posting .922 career in the KHL is pretty good - especially when that career ended at just 22 years old.
Aug. 23, 2021 at 2:04 p.m.
Pistol Pete
I see Holloway becoming the 3c by deadline. He’s known to be good at draws has strong speed and considering the depth added to lw this offseason 3c is the only really questionable spot in the top nine don’t see him getting the call up to cover 4th line minutes. I think early on Mcloed will be given plenty of opportunity but it’s on him to make the most of it.

I think if they are going to bring in Holloway as a center they will keep him in the AHL for a year. He could probably be an effective winger right now because he is a phenomenal forechecker but I believe center has been his secondary position so far and it is harder to develop. You are correct right now Mcleod is their boy he skates well transports the puck well and distributes it but his offense hasn't developed at the nhl level yet and that will dictate if he is 3C or 4C.
Aug. 23, 2021 at 2:10 p.m.
I'd start the season with Koskinen at 1B and then give one of Skinner or Konovalov an opportunity in January if I'm not happy with either Smith or Koskinen (or if there's an injury). No way I'm going shopping without seeing what my own prospects can do.

I'm have a sneaking suspicion that Konovalov is already Georgiev's equal. Posting .922 career in the KHL is pretty good - especially when that career ended at just 22 years old.

Ya ideally that would be the plan growing internally should be the top choice but if the reason for providing them the opportunity is because unhappy with the play of current guys that likely means not sitting comfortably in a playoff spot which would lead to trade route first to bring in someone with experience. If kosk and smith are doing fine just need rest while sitting comfortably in a playoff spot then ya all day long bring one up and see what we got. If all goes well I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see us carry 3 goalies for the final stretch.
Aug. 23, 2021 at 2:15 p.m.
Ya ideally that would be the plan growing internally should be the top choice but if the reason for providing them the opportunity is because unhappy with the play of current guys that likely means not sitting comfortably in a playoff spot which would lead to trade route first to bring in someone with experience. If kosk and smith are doing fine just need rest while sitting comfortably in a playoff spot then ya all day long bring one up and see what we got. If all goes well I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see us carry 3 goalies for the final stretch.

Unhappy with one of the current guys doesn't mean they aren't in a playoff spot at all. Last year most were unhappy with Koskinen and yet the Oilers were comfortably in a playoff spot. The previous year most were unhappy with Smith and the Oilers were comfortably in a playoff spot.

So I don't agree that the automatic reaction is to go the trade route. Washington went to Samsonov, St Louis to Binnington, Pittsburgh to Murray, etc. I think it's more likely that the team would look first to their farm club for help than overspend for a replacement level backup on the trade market.
Aug. 23, 2021 at 5:21 p.m.
Unhappy with one of the current guys doesn't mean they aren't in a playoff spot at all. Last year most were unhappy with Koskinen and yet the Oilers were comfortably in a playoff spot. The previous year most were unhappy with Smith and the Oilers were comfortably in a playoff spot.

So I don't agree that the automatic reaction is to go the trade route. Washington went to Samsonov, St Louis to Binnington, Pittsburgh to Murray, etc. I think it's more likely that the team would look first to their farm club for help than overspend for a replacement level backup on the trade market.

We both might be right just depends on how bad one is struggling. Hopefully both hold up and we aren’t forced into a decision.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll