Forums/Armchair-GM

Bruins Prospect Update Part 5

Created by: BruinsFan35
Team: 2021-22 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 13, 2021
Published: Dec. 13, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
These are in the same order that I wrote them last time, with new updates at the end. Every 5 updates, I think I'll make an all prospects roster (U26), just to show how I value these players that I'm talking about in relation to each other.

Fabian Lysell: Last update, Lysell had put up 6 goals and 12 assists (18 points) in 17 WHL games. Since then, his offensive production has not dropped off, and he's easily cemented himself as a top prospect for Boston, now boasting 11 goals and 17 assists for 28 points in 23 games. His play has also earned him a spot on Sweden's WJC camp roster, and it's pretty much a guarantee that he makes the cut. Lysell's ability to not only play the game at a fast pace, but also to think the game at an equally fast pace is what has really cemented himself as a constant scoring threat in the WHL so far this season. I look forward to seeing how the WJC goes for him, as I think he'll be given plenty of opportunities against other top prospects, and I hope to see his skills on full display.

Brett Harrison: In the last update, Harrison had put up 8 goals and 7 assists in 12 OHL games for Oshawa. Since then, he's continued to put up numbers at a consistent pace, now with 15 goals and 11 assists (26 points) in 21 games, and he was totally snubbed from Team Canada's U20 camp for the WJC. Not saying he'd make it, but his size and his ability to crash the net and to be constantly active and dangerous around the net front I thought would entice scouts enough for at least a shot at the WJC. I went back recently and looked at where Harrison was projected to go in the 2021 draft, and the consensus from scouting agencies seemed to be early to mid second round, with one scouring organization having Harrison gone in the first round. So, I really don't know how he fell to Boston in the 3rd round. Even with the small sample size of games in the 2020-21 season when he went overseas to play in Finland, players were drafted ahead of him who missed the entire year hoping for the OHL to get back in business. I think that Harrison could prove to be the best center prospect in the Bruins system right now (quote me on that).

Jake Schmaltz: Last update, I'd noted that Schmaltz had been putting up a respectable point pace with 4 goals and 7 assists in 15 NCAA games for North Dakota. Since then, he's only scored one goal in the past 4 games, brining his stat line to 5-7-12 in 19 games. Not bad for a guy heavily relied upon defensively and not given much opportunity in the offensive zone, but the production has dipped in the past couple of games. What has been on display, however, has been the hockey IQ and the strong positional play that allows Schmaltz to be an effective penalty killer for North Dakota. One thing he needs to improve is his strength, as he's light for his size and putting on some muscle would do wonders for his ability to play along the boards, which would help round out his game both offensively and defensively.

Quinn Olson: Last update, Olson had produces 2 goals and 8 assists for 10 points in 14 games for Minnesota-Duluth. I'd mentioned that his lack of speed has really hindered his ability to use his offensive toolkit, which is impressive if the team gets sustained pressure, but you might as well forget about Olson if the offense is generated through the transition game. Since then, however, Olson's offensive output has rebounded, and he now has 3 goals and 10 assists for 13 points in 18 games, with a goal and 2 assists in the 4 games since the last update. Not bad, but the issues still remain. And another one has revealed itself: Olson needs to be better disciplined with his stick. He's in the box too often for my liking, and it often comes as a result of his inability to keep up with his opposition.

Ty Gallagher: Last update, Gallagher had put up 2 goals and 4 assists in 15 NCAA games as a freshman for BU. He's playing well in all three zones and has been easily one of the biggest surprises for Boston this season. He now boasts 2 goals and 7 assists for 9 points in 18 games, 3 assists in the three games since last update. That's excellent production for a freshman defenseman, especially one that was a seventh-round pick and isn't an offensively-minded defenseman by any means.

Trevor Kuntar: Last update, Kuntar had posted 4 goals and 4 assists through 14 games for BC. Now, he's got 4 goals and 6 assists for 10 points in 16 games, which ties his point total from last season in 7 fewer games. Kuntar's shot is what makes him dangerous, as he rarely misses where he wants to put it and his release is quick. Like I noted last time, Kuntar needs to improve defensively if he wants to take the next step towards being a legitimate NHL prospect.

Mason Lohrei: I don't think there's any doubt who the best defensive prospect in the Bruins system is. Lohrei is firing on all cylinders for Ohio State in the NCAA, putting up 2 goals and 12 assists in 16 games for the Buckeyes, leading the team in points as a freshman defenseman. Everything about Lohrei's smooth transition from the USHL up to the NCAA has impressed me, and I'm definitely excited to see Lohrei transition up to the AHL in a couple of years.

John Beecher: I haven't missed a game of the Michigan Wolverines hockey this season (Go Blue!), and watching them has made me realize one thing: John Beecher will never be a prolific scorer. Ever. Doesn't matter what situation you put him in, his play style doesn't translate to offensive production. He makes his mark defensively and physically, and he is dominant in both of those regards. Still, he posts 2 goals and 2 assists through 12 games so far for the Wolverines. It's time to give up on Beecher as a top six center. His offensive abilities will never be good enough to put up the numbers needed by a 2C. He is, however, very close to NHL ready, I think. A move up to the AHL next year is in order, and I think he'll prove that his defensive output and his physicality, along with his speed, are enough to be a useful bottom six center, and I think he fits a third line role really well.

Oskar Jellvik: I was really hoping that Jellvik would get a chance at the WJC by making Sweden's camp roster. Alas, he wasn't given a shot, but his offense has been solid for Djurgardens in the Swedish J20 Nationell, putting up 11 goals and 14 assists for 25 points in 23 games, 7 of those points coming in the 4 games played since the last update. What's most interesting about Jellvik, though, is that he very recently committed to Boston College for next season. He's coming over to America! Next year will be a real indicator of what we have with this kid, as he should be given a very good opportunity to showcase his offensive toolkit for the Eagles next year.

Ryan Mast: The big blue liner for the OHL's Sarnia Sting has been very good in all three zones thus far, as Mast has put up 3 goals and 11 points in 25 games for Sarnia so far this year. Offense isn't really the name of the game for Mast anyway, but I'm happy with his production at this point, as his rookie season saw Mast put up 11 points in 58 games, more than double what he needed this year put up the same number of points. Watch for him to get signed to his ELC at the end of the year, as I think t=he may get a shot sooner rather than later at least in the AHL with his easily translatable defensive play-style.

AHL players that have impressed me are: Oskar Steen, Zach Senyshyn, Jesper Froden, Jack Ahcan, Jack Studnicka, Jakub Lauko, Samuel Asselin, Eduards Tralmaks, Kyle Keyser.

AHLers dropped out: John Moore (Up in NHL), Brady Lyle

Player(s) who have dropped off my radar for now: Andre Gasseau

Here's my Bruins U26 roster: (Taxi Squad is honorable mentions)
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$60,594,842$1,956,507$797,500$20,905,158
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$764,167$764,167 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C
RFA
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW
RFA
$769,167$769,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 5
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C
RFA
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA
$800,000$800,000
C
RFA
$809,167$809,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$800,000$800,000
LD
RFA
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$125,000$125K)
G
RFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
UFA - 6
$733,333$733,333
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
C
RFA
$725,000$725,000
RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
RFA
Taxi Squad
$800,000$800,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
RFA
C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
RFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$818,333$818,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
RD
UFA - 2
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 13, 2021 at 10:25 a.m.
Could be a sneaky one:

Justin Brazeau. 23 6’5 220ib wing

Undrafted.

61 goals his final year in jrs.

Point a game in ECHL last year with Tor.

10g 10a in 18 games at Maine. Called up to Prov 3 goals in 3 games.

Probably not a good enough skater or defensively for NHL, but never know.
Heyhowareya37 and BruinsFan35 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 10:26 a.m.
This is great, thanks for doing this. Lysell seems to be growing more and more comfortable on the smaller ice, even on days when he's not on he has flashes of brilliance. Wouldnt be surprised to see his PPG continue to uptick as the season goes on. Hopefully he carries some of that confidence into the World J's.
I've been so impressed with Lohrei's poise and collectiveness. He plays with so much confidence in the offensive zone and transition for a guy who is in his first year of NCAA (overager or not). Love how he has some nasty in his game too.
I think at this point for Beecher, I would like to see him pan out as an Adam Lowry type of player. A guy who can play physical, defensive, smart hockey with pace. I think that is attainable, and still valuable to the organization.
I've tried to watch Gallagher a bit, and hes been impressive, It is hard to say how much of his game will translate to higher levels, but for a freshman defensemen and 7th round pick its hard not be happy with how he's played.
The rest I've only gotten limited views and just checked the numbers. Thanks for being on top of this stuff, its good to know and fun to talk about!
weili40 and BruinsFan35 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 10:37 a.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999
Could be a sneaky one:

Justin Brazeau. 23 6’5 220ib wing

Undrafted.

61 goals his final year in jrs.

Point a game in ECHL last year with Tor.

10g 10a in 18 games at Maine. Called up to Prov 3 goals in 3 games.

Probably not a good enough skater or defensively for NHL, but never know.

I like Brazeau a lot actually, but he’s not a good enough skater to sniff the NHL
Dec. 13, 2021 at 10:40 a.m.
Quoting: Heyhowareya37
This is great, thanks for doing this. Lysell seems to be growing more and more comfortable on the smaller ice, even on days when he's not on he has flashes of brilliance. Wouldnt be surprised to see his PPG continue to uptick as the season goes on. Hopefully he carries some of that confidence into the World J's.
I've been so impressed with Lohrei's poise and collectiveness. He plays with so much confidence in the offensive zone and transition for a guy who is in his first year of NCAA (overager or not). Love how he has some nasty in his game too.
I think at this point for Beecher, I would like to see him pan out as an Adam Lowry type of player. A guy who can play physical, defensive, smart hockey with pace. I think that is attainable, and still valuable to the organization.
I've tried to watch Gallagher a bit, and hes been impressive, It is hard to say how much of his game will translate to higher levels, but for a freshman defensemen and 7th round pick its hard not be happy with how he's played.
The rest I've only gotten limited views and just checked the numbers. Thanks for being on top of this stuff, its good to know and fun to talk about!

I agree with you. Hopefully Beecher pans out into a defense-first 3C. That’s honestly the goal at this point. An Adam Lowry comparison is a really good one. I do a lot of watching prospects more so than actual NHL game so think lol. Between this and the draft stuff I’ve been posting is pretty much all my free time.
Heyhowareya37 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 10:41 a.m.
Quoting: BruinsFan35
I agree with you. Hopefully Beecher pans out into a defense-first 3C. That’s honestly the goal at this point. An Adam Lowry comparison is a really good one. I do a lot of watching prospects more so than actual NHL game so think lol. Between this and the draft stuff I’ve been posting is pretty much all my free time.

Man, i just put together that youre the same guy! Thats awesome, thanks for doing all that. All valuable information that i am sure takes a lot of time and work so I appreciate it!
BruinsFan35 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll