Forums/Armchair-GM

Bruins Prospect Update Part 7

Created by: BruinsFan35
Team: 2021-22 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 24, 2022
Published: Jan. 24, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
In my 6th prospect update, I didn't update point totals as most players hadn't played much between update 5 and update 6. So I'm taking the point totals from update 5 for every prospect except for Riley Duran, who I added to the list on my 6th update post.

Fabian Lysell: Last update, Lysell had posted 28 points in 23 games. Since then, he's only played in one contest, but he was electric in that game, putting up 3 points, bringing his total up to 31 points in 24 games. I'm still a little upset that we didn't get the opportunity to see Lysell play for Sweden in the WJC this year, but I fully expect him to be in it next season, and he may be the best player that Sweden will have returning for them when the next WJC comes around (unless William Eklund doesn't make the Sharks full-time next year, which I expect he will). Lysell himself may have a shot at seeing NHL ice next season for the Bruins, in a nine-game trial to see if he's ready. His offensive toolkit looks NHL ready, and I'm sure I don't need to remind Bruins fans of how good he was in the preseason and in camp.

Brett Harrison: Last update, Harrison had put up 26 points in 21 games. Since then, the offense just hasn't been there for him, as he's posted 1 goal and 4 assists in the past ten games, bringing his total up to 31 points in 31 games. Despite the lack of scoring, Harrison has still been a very impactful player for the Generals through his grit and physicality. He's been a sandpaper-type of guy for Oshawa all season, but I think it's really important for him right now since the points haven't been there for him: the offensive drop-off would look way worse if he was a one-dimensional player.

Jake Schmaltz: Last update, Schmaltz had put up 12 points in 19 games. Since then, he's been on a solid pace, putting up 2 points in the 4 games, bringing his totals up to 14 points in 23 games. Schmaltz is very interesting to me as a prospect, as he does a lot of little things well. Positioning, defensive prowess, and a high hockey IQ are all things that I've picked up in my viewings of Schmaltz bth with North Dakota this year and with Green Bay of the USHL last year. However, he isn't incredibly fast or agile, and he's weak along the boards due to the lack of muscle on his 6 foot 1 frame. Schmaltz, at least right now, screams boom-or-bust to me. It's all dependent on how beneficial his inevitable muscle gain is. If it gives him a boost in leg strength to turn his average-at-best skating into a strength, and if he can go into the boards confidently, we may have a gem on our hands. If the weight gain doesn't really help anything, as it sometimes goes for prospects, Schmaltz isn't worth attention.

Quinn Olson: Last Update, Olson had put up 13 points in 18 games. Since then, he's been consistent on that .67 ppg pace, putting up 4 points in the last 6 games, bringing his totals up to 17 points in 24 games. Like Schmaltz, Olson screams boom-or-bust. He has a top-six caliber offensive toolkit in terms of his shot accuracy, puck handling, and agility. He also shows some high-end awareness in the offensive zone, as he always seems to be open when the puck ins't on his stick, and when he does have the puck, se consistently makes good decisions with it. However, the lack of speed will keep him away from NHL consideration. He's slow for NCAA standards. He does have some room to gain weight, standing at 5 foot 11 and 170 pounds, and maybe some extra lower-body strength will do the trick for him, but that's unclear.

Ty Gallagher: Last update, Gallagher had put up 9 points in 18 games. Since then, he's continued to put up solid numbers, putting up 3 points in 5 games, bringing him to 12 points in 23 games as a freshman defenseman. Especially for a seventh-round pick, Bruins fans should be ecstatic with what Gallagher has shown thus far. He's a reliable player in all three zones for the Terriers, and they've used him extensively despite having upperclassmen on the roster that Gallagher has progressively overtaken throughout the season. He seems to have grown as a player at an incredible rate this season, and hopefully that continues to be the case throughout the rest of this season as the NCAA season nears its end.

Trevor Kuntar: Last Update, Kuntar had put up 10 points in 16 games. Since then, Kuntar has put up 14 points in 23 games. I don't have much else to say about Kuntar that I haven't already mentioned, so this will be the last update with him in it for now. His shot is NHL ready, but he needs to work out the rest of his game, especially his defensive ability. A shift over to left wing, where the Eagles have been using him more frequently recently, would be a good idea, as it would make his lack of defensive ability less noticeable.

Mason Lohrei: Last update, Lohrei has put up 14 points in 16 games. Since then, the offense is still firing on all cylinders, with Lohrei now having 22 points in 26 games. Lohrei is a stud, plain and simple. He's a poised and mature defenseman in all three zones despite only being a freshman. His high hockey IQ is evident at all times when he's on the ice, as he always finds himself in the right place to make a play, with offensively and defensively. One thing I'd like to see Lohrei use more is his shot, as it's quite powerful and he could be a good point shooter for rebound opportunities. He passes it off more than he shoots, and I don't know if its a scheme thing from the Buckeye's coaching staff or Lohrei's lack of confidence in his own abilities. I'm assuming it's the former as Lohrei has shown no lack of confidence in any other aspect of his game.

John Beecher: Last update, Beecher had put up 4 points in 12 games. Since then, the offense has been a little better, with Beecher now putting up 7 points in 19 games (3 in his last 5). Someone commented on my 5th prospect update that the Bruins should hope for an Adam Lowry type player out of Beecher, and I think that's a good comparison. A bruising player with some speed that plays safe, smart hockey in all three zones. That's John Beecher. I think that he still brings value as a prospect because of his size-speed combo, which is very intriguing. I just don't see a top-sixer out of the 2019 first-rounder anymore.

Oskar Jellvik: Last update, Jellvik had put up 25 points in 23 games. Since then, The offense has still been strong, with Jellvik now boasting 33 points in 28 games. What's more interesting is that Djurgardens IF, his U20 team in Sweden, has been giving Jellvik looks at center more recently, which shows me that they have some faith in him in all three zones. I've always been more interested in Jellvik's offensive toolkit, which is impressive, more so than his defensive abilities, but I'm always glad to see a Bruins prospect taking on bigger responsibilities.

Ryan Mast: Last update, Mast had put up 11 points in 25 games. Since then, Mast has been point-per-game, now with 16 points in 30 games. Impressive considering that Mast is more of a stay-at-home type of defenseman. Which isn't to say that Mast isn't talented offensively, as he has a solid offensive mindset and can move the puck pretty well, he just plays more of a defensive style.

Riley Duran: Last update, Duran had put up 13 points in 23 games. Since then, he's been playing well, now with 15 points in 27 games as a freshman for one of the most prestigious NCAA hockey programs in the country at Providence. Duran is fighting for every second of ice time he gets with the Friars, and he's finally skating to get some decent minutes. He's a very fluid and fast skater and a decent shooter. Overall and solid offensive toolkit, but he's raw overall as a prospect. He's a long-term developmental prospect for Boston, but I think there is a lot of potential with this kid. Keep him in mind.
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$79,560,674$1,956,507$0$1,939,326
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 2
$3,800,000$3,800,000
LW, C, RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$2,375,000$2,375,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,675,000$3,675,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 3
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
UFA - 6
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 24, 2022 at 10:03 a.m.
popcorn
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Jan. 24, 2022 at 12:05 p.m.
In Don we trust
Thank you for this, very solid update.
BruinsFan35 liked this.
Jan. 24, 2022 at 12:12 p.m.
We appreciate you!
BruinsFan35 and Bias4bruins liked this.